Author Topic: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!  (Read 201874 times)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: The Maria Sharapova thread- Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!
« Reply #240 on: January 25, 2008, 07:52:24 AM »
I am a fan of Maria (grunts and all), so pleased she has made the final

Typical e-mails to eurosport  ..-) all about her "grunts" lol  Go Maria!!!  Not one about her game  :whistle:  Love it!!

Others that "grunt" - did anyone hear the Djoko v Ferrer match - GRUNTS GALORE..........NOTHING SAID!!! Love it!!!

Loved Maria attitude about facing the world no1 JH..............More of this please on the ATP Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Respect Maria

:)

Great post Alison, and so true about the grunts, I've always said the same thing to people I know as everybody talks about Maria doing it, but then the huge list of other players that do the same never get a mention  :\ Maria's attitude right from the start of this tournament has been second to none, as when she saw she'd have to play Davenport 2nd round she prepared for that as if it was a final, and from that point onwards has never looked back. Then going into her match vs Henin, she was frightened of the win streak or overwhelmed by eveything Justine has won over the last 12 months, and all the players she's beat, unlike 99.5% of the girls who have faced Justine. That attitude was the key and being anything but overwhelmed enabled her to demolish the world number 1s game. Now here's hoping to one more really good performance like we've seen all tournament and in 22 hours time we could well be celebrating a 3rd Grand Slam title  :applause: :cheer:

Nobody shrieks like Shrieks. Sorry, it doesn't wash. Yes, there are many who are loud. The Williams sisters both, Ashley Harkelroad. But no one hits the high notes like Shrieks.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #241 on: January 25, 2008, 08:03:47 AM »

Typical e-mails to eurosport  ..-) all about her "grunts" lol  Go Maria!!!  Not one about her game  :whistle:  Love it!!

Others that "grunt" - did anyone hear the Djoko v Ferrer match - GRUNTS GALORE..........NOTHING SAID!!! Love it!!!

Loved Maria attitude about facing the world no1 JH..............More of this please on the ATP Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Respect Maria

Great post Alison, and so true about the grunts, I've always said the same thing to people I know as everybody talks about Maria doing it, but then the huge list of other players that do the same never get a mention  :\ Maria's attitude right from the start of this tournament has been second to none, as when she saw she'd have to play Davenport 2nd round she prepared for that as if it was a final, and from that point onwards has never looked back. Then going into her match vs Henin, she was frightened of the win streak or overwhelmed by eveything Justine has won over the last 12 months, and all the players she's beat, unlike 99.5% of the girls who have faced Justine. That attitude was the key and being anything but overwhelmed enabled her to demolish the world number 1s game. Now here's hoping to one more really good performance like we've seen all tournament and in 22 hours time we could well be celebrating a 3rd Grand Slam title  :applause: :cheer:

Nobody shrieks like Shrieks. Sorry, it doesn't wash. Yes, there are many who are loud. The Williams sisters both, Ashley Harkelroad. But no one hits the high notes like Shrieks.

They still make an extremely loud noice and then some of the men just groan terribly when they hit the ball. I always remember Kuerten's grown well  :)) Rafa also hits some high notes as well, Gaudio is another so if the noise is there, no matter how loud then it should be discussed with all the names involved, and then they can state who's actually the loudest. But anyway its something thats been spoken about endless times, and something Maria's done since she was 5 or 6 so its here to stay and its something thats not going to go away from her game.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #242 on: January 25, 2008, 08:08:03 AM »

Respect Maria

They still make an extremely loud noice and then some of the men just groan terribly when they hit the ball. I always remember Kuerten's grown well  :)) Rafa also hits some high notes as well, Gaudio is another so if the noise is there, no matter how loud then it should be discussed with all the names involved, and then they can state who's actually the loudest. But anyway its something thats been spoken about endless times, and something Maria's done since she was 5 or 6 so its here to stay and its something thats not going to go away from her game.

At Wimbledon, the London tabloids' famous grunt-o-meter has recorded Sharapova's noise level at 101.2 decibels — the equivalent, apparently, of a police siren at close range or a small aircraft landing nearby.
Maria is simply the number 1!  :)
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #243 on: January 25, 2008, 08:09:23 AM »

Respect Maria

At Wimbledon, the London tabloids' famous grunt-o-meter has recorded Sharapova's noise level at 101.2 decibels — the equivalent, apparently, of a police siren at close range or a small aircraft landing nearby.

As long as Maria's number 1 in Melbourne 2008 thats the main thing  ;-()

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #244 on: January 25, 2008, 11:41:39 AM »
If Maria wins the final she will have 3 slam titles at the age of 20.    Amazing to think that none of Serena, Venus, or Justine managed this.    Justine did not win her first slam title until she had just turned 21 I believe.   Venus comes closest, winning her 3rd slam title just after turning 21.   Serena does not win her second slam title she was 21.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #245 on: January 25, 2008, 11:50:22 AM »
If Maria wins the final she will have 3 slam titles at the age of 20.    Amazing to think that none of Serena, Venus, or Justine managed this.    Justine did not win her first slam title until she had just turned 21 I believe.   Venus comes closest, winning her 3rd slam title just after turning 21.   Serena does not win her second slam title she was 21.

Very true stat Kittens and one that makes very good reading for Maria. If you've got more Slams at a certain age than those 3 then things must be going well. Yes its very true that every player develops at different ages and matures enough at different times, but all being well in 12 hours Maria may have 3 Slams, at 3 different places, a world number 1 ranking twice in her career, a YEC, and a stack full of other titles. You must be pleased with your prediction Kittens at you were one of only a couple, myself being one back in mid/late 2005 when Maria hadn't kicked on from the Wimbledon win that predicted more Slams for Maria, because at that time I remember you quite liked her. You seemed to slightly change your prediction for her in early 2006 and your like for her, but I'm sure you'll agree now that your first prediction was the best  :)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #246 on: January 25, 2008, 11:52:12 AM »

third GS: Hingis 17, Steffi and Monica 18 years old. it's very impressive, maria can win a lot!!!
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #247 on: January 25, 2008, 11:56:42 AM »

Very true stat Kittens and one that makes very good reading for Maria. If you've got more Slams at a certain age than those 3 then things must be going well. Yes its very true that every player develops at different ages and matures enough at different times, but all being well in 12 hours Maria may have 3 Slams, at 3 different places, a world number 1 ranking twice in her career, a YEC, and a stack full of other titles. You must be pleased with your prediction Kittens at you were one of only a couple, myself being one back in mid/late 2005 when Maria hadn't kicked on from the Wimbledon win that predicted more Slams for Maria, because at that time I remember you quite liked her. You seemed to slightly change your prediction for her in early 2006 and your like for her, but I'm sure you'll agree now that your first prediction was the best  :)

Thanks for reminding me.    I remember I picked Justine, Serena, and Maria to all end up with somewhere between 10-12 slams.   Well for Justine and Serena that doesnt look so far fetched, if they average about 1 slam a year until they retire that is where they end up.   For Maria that doesnt neccessarily look as far fetched even, although she still has a long way to go.    She may end up having won 3 slams between her 17th birthday and 21th birthday and she only shows signs of getting better IF, and this is the big if, she can stay reasonably healthy and manage to avoid things like the shoulder problems that plagued her last year.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #248 on: January 25, 2008, 12:06:43 PM »
only 7 women have won more than 9 GS: Lenglen (12), King(12), Evert(18), Navratilova(18), Wills Moody(19), Graf(22) and Smtih Court(24)!!!

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #249 on: January 25, 2008, 12:12:32 PM »
only 7 women have won more than 9 GS: Lenglen (12), King(12), Evert(18), Navratilova(18), Wills Moody(19), Graf(22) and Smtih Court(24)!!!

So far.   Henin, Serena, Maria all have the potential to go beyond it at some point (maybe Venus but she seems by far the least likely given her age and current total).

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #250 on: January 25, 2008, 12:23:13 PM »

So far.   Henin, Serena, Maria all have the potential to go beyond it at some point (maybe Venus but she seems by far the least likely given her age and current total).
Serena is 10th with 8 GS as Mallory, behind Seles and Connolly (9 GS)
Justine is 12th with 7 GS as Gooolagong, Bueno and Douglas.
Venus is 16th with 6 GS as Osborne Dupont, Brough, Hart, Bingley Hillyard and Wynne Bolton.
very impressive!!! great time to enjoy women's tennis...
Maria is very young! Ana and Jelena
dont forget Lindsay and Amelie
and of course you're favourite one Kittens: real nº2 Kuznetsova!!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:06:18 PM by conchita »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #251 on: January 25, 2008, 12:57:09 PM »

Thanks for reminding me.    I remember I picked Justine, Serena, and Maria to all end up with somewhere between 10-12 slams.   Well for Justine and Serena that doesnt look so far fetched, if they average about 1 slam a year until they retire that is where they end up.   For Maria that doesnt neccessarily look as far fetched even, although she still has a long way to go.    She may end up having won 3 slams between her 17th birthday and 21th birthday and she only shows signs of getting better IF, and this is the big if, she can stay reasonably healthy and manage to avoid things like the shoulder problems that plagued her last year.

Yeah I remember you going with 10-12 Slams for the 3 of them, and me hoping and believing Maria could get to the 10 mark, I remember when I cam out with that statement you were the only one who agreed and could see that happening. You're looking well set for Serena and Justine, whereas Maria is at a very different stage of her career, but IF she can get a third early tomorrow, and knowing the improvements she's made to her game and the way Maria has played through this tournament our 10 could be firmly on, as long as Maria stays away from the injuries, especially bad ones like the shoulder problem. By 20 if Maria happens to have 3 Slams I think we can remain content with our prediction so far, and believe that 10 could happen as long as the injuries stay away and the improvements keep being made

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #252 on: January 25, 2008, 12:59:25 PM »

Tha was one of the main reasons a few years back why I was so desperate to see Maria get to around 10 Slams, because I felt if she could get to that sort of figure she'd be looked at in the kind of range of a top 10 player or so of all time.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #253 on: January 25, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »

Tha was one of the main reasons a few years back why I was so desperate to see Maria get to around 10 Slams, because I felt if she could get to that sort of figure she'd be looked at in the kind of range of a top 10 player or so of all time.

imho after tonight you will perhaps be desperate to see Maria get the career grand slam (Roland Garros)!!!  :)) and then why not the career golden slam  ;-() if she wins tonight, 3 slams at age 20 is huge achievement! (see Graf, Seles and Hingis!!!). She is the future of women's tennis!!

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #254 on: January 25, 2008, 01:24:51 PM »
There is no question any modern women who wins 10 or more slams is top 10 all time atleast, maybe even higher.   No offense to Lenglen and Wills Moody, who I am sure were still great champions but competition back then was nothing like it has been in the Open era.   Back then people, especialy women, were just starting to play tennis.   Lenglen won 12 of the 13 slams she played, the only one she lost was a 1921 U.S Open 2nd round match were she lost to Molla Mallory (who by the way won a record that still stands today of 8 U.S Opens, but only because Lenglen who was by far the dominant player of the time never showed up there except this once, see what I meant about validity of records then when the distant #2 of that generation has a major slam record that still stands today), but there she retired apparently sick, some think she faked it, others give her the benefit of the doubt.   Either way it could be argued she never lost a slam match she completed and won all 12 slam events she was able to finish.   In fact it was not just the slams, she won every single match she played from 1919-1926 minus that one match.   Helen Wills Moody lost her only ever meeting with Lenglen in a small event in France in 1926, and then she too did not lose a single match until her retirement with injury in the 1933 U.S Open final with Helen Jacobs.   It was similar to the Lenglen defeat, some gave her the benefit of doubt that her retirement midmatch was legit, others thought like Lenglen she couldnt bear the thought of a true defeat so retired to save face.    Either way it could be argued two back-to-back different women went 7 full years without a true loss of any kind, or at most only one each.    You look at their slam runs, and you see them winning alot of their finals 6-2, 6-0 and 6-2, 6-2, and winning all their other matches by those scores or easier.

Also you read stories about how the other women apparently felt they were almost bully-like since Wills actually hit the ball hard, and Lenglen actually came to the net to finish points, and whined about that to the press.   Apparently both of those things were foreign for female players back at the time, a women was not supposed to hit hard or come to the net, just hit moonballs back and forth, those two champions did not do so were like amazons compared to the other women of the time.    Suffice to say the game from even the 50s onwards is very different, let alone today.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:29:20 PM by kittens25 »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #255 on: January 25, 2008, 02:08:01 PM »
Thanks for all of that good information, when you read alll through that about Lenglen in particular and Wills Moody you really do realise that the era then was a completely different ball game in all departments compared to the last 40 years or so and it would suggest any player now who gets around 7/8 Slamd could be consider higher up all time lists than those of that sort of era and that any woman getting 10+ Slamd now would for sure be a top 10 of all time and maybe even top 8 or so. Lenglen's fabulous carrer and Slam record you hear about and yes it was amazing for her at that time but really when you break it all down as you have it makes you realise how its really not a 12 Slam compared to a player winning 12 in the past 40 years, also surfaces have to come into this as well, and its much different to be able to win or 3/4 surfaces now compared to having just grass and clay for many years. Makes you realise how close Serena and Justine are to being consider real top 10 all time greats and that maybe one day Maria could well hit somewhere around the 10 mark and for sure be considered one of the top 10 players of all time.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #256 on: January 25, 2008, 02:12:17 PM »

imho after tonight you will perhaps be desperate to see Maria get the career grand slam (Roland Garros)!!!  :)) and then why not the career golden slam  ;-() if she wins tonight, 3 slams at age 20 is huge achievement! (see Graf, Seles and Hingis!!!). She is the future of women's tennis!!

Yeah if Maria can get that Australian title tonight then she'll be just 1 title in Paris away from a career Slam, and to have that though when you are just 20 is very rare indeed and pretty awesome. That's going to be a very tough ask for Maria but other than Justine who's really dominate on that surface? A lot of the other girls right now fear Maria big time and even on clay she'll be able to get the better of them, and if Maria could go into the event fuly fit and healthy and having had more experience on a claycourt a few years down the line then maybe just maybe she could get that title and complete a career Grand Slam if she wins this one tonight.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #257 on: January 25, 2008, 05:59:58 PM »

Respect Maria

And this post sums up the British Press...thankyou!!!  Not one bit bothered or interested in her game.........only the noise  ..-)  ..-)

Thanks again for this
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #258 on: January 26, 2008, 12:24:22 AM »
 :grind dance: :yahoo: :cheer: :worthy: :winner: :cloud 9: :applause:
CONGRATULATIONS MARIA!! ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC AND THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN CHAMPION TO ADD TO THE WIMBLEDON AND US OPEN TITLES!!
I'm so happy and relieved for Maria to get this title and I can honestly say I feel like the happiest person on the planet. It wasn't the greatest match Maria's ever going to play but in a Grand Slam Final it doesn't matter how you play as long as you walk away with the title. Maria was playing really well up until 4/3 on her serve and then just couldn't find a first serve at all, and inevitably was broken. When she was 4/5 0-30 down I was absolutely having kittens at the thought of her maybe losing the set but she hit back well and from that point on handled all the big moments fantastically well. Maria's first serve was absolutely key as she was winning around 90% of her first serve points and Maria was able to keep her error count down, whereas Ivanovic struggled much more with that. After all the heartache and tough times last year and then the desire to go to Madrid and play and build up a few matches and some confidence when many would have stayed at home and ended their season, add in then the hard off season where Maria was able to work really well on her serve, movement, forehand, a bit on the slice backhand and getting forward and finishing off points at the net, and then finally the tough draw Maria was dealt in Melbourne it makes this triumph all the more sweet and special. Fantastically well done Maria once again you've made me the proudest person alive by capturing your first ever Australian Open  :)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #259 on: January 26, 2008, 12:53:21 AM »
:grind dance: :yahoo: :cheer: :worthy: :winner: :cloud 9: :applause:
CONGRATULATIONS MARIA!! ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC AND THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN CHAMPION TO ADD TO THE WIMBLEDON AND US OPEN TITLES!!
I'm so happy and relieved for Maria to get this title and I can honestly say I feel like the happiest person on the planet. It wasn't the greatest match Maria's ever going to play but in a Grand Slam Final it doesn't matter how you play as long as you walk away with the title. Maria was playing really well up until 4/3 on her serve and then just couldn't find a first serve at all, and inevitably was broken. When she was 4/5 0-30 down I was absolutely having kittens at the thought of her maybe losing the set but she hit back well and from that point on handled all the big moments fantastically well. Maria's first serve was absolutely key as she was winning around 90% of her first serve points and Maria was able to keep her error count down, whereas Ivanovic struggled much more with that. After all the heartache and tough times last year and then the desire to go to Madrid and play and build up a few matches and some confidence when many would have stayed at home and ended their season, add in then the hard off season where Maria was able to work really well on her serve, movement, forehand, a bit on the slice backhand and getting forward and finishing off points at the net, and then finally the tough draw Maria was dealt in Melbourne it makes this triumph all the more sweet and special. Fantastically well done Maria once again you've made me the proudest person alive by capturing your first ever Australian Open  :)

congrats chris. i know you are happy. maria just tore up the opposition here. as i had suggested to you previously, maria was playing like she was on a mission.

this is good for few more endorsement deals. i see that endorsement income hitting $30 mill +/year soon. and that is being conservative.