Author Topic: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!  (Read 204029 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: The Maria Sharapova thread- Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!
« Reply #300 on: February 03, 2008, 05:16:20 AM »
MARIA GIVES RUSSIA THE LEAD

Russia now lead Israel 2-1 and only have to win 1 of the remaining 2 ties to advance to the semis of the World Group as  Maria defeated #1 Israeli Shahar Peer 6-1 6-1 in 1 hour and 14 minutes.

Maria raced to a 5-1 lead in the 1st set and finally took the set after a long deuce game when Peer hit a forehand wide.  Throughout this set Maria hit 15 winners to 12 errors and took the set 6-1 in 32 minutes.

Another good set from Maria as she took it 6-1.  Maria had 3 matchpoints on her serve at 5-0 but was unable to convert them but in the next game on Peer's serve she was able to take the match when Peer hit a backhand unforced error.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #301 on: February 03, 2008, 01:33:34 PM »
Well Maria was the key for Russia this weekend after taking out Obziler for the loss of just 4 games and then even more impressively defeating number 19 Peer for the loss of just 2 games. Add this to the fact that this was her first ever Fed Cup tie, and also this was the most hostile atmosphere I've ever seen for Womens matches and Maria very much made a perfect debut and can be very satisfied at moving to 9-0 for the season and remaining with the record of not yet losing a set in 2008. I don't know how much of Maria's 2 matches you guys would have seen, but in particular today she was serving just as she did in Melbourne, so intelligently in setting up her next shot and gettin the inititive early in the point. Thankfully the shoulder still seems to be going well, but I still get so worried if it goes again. On the return side Maria was being ultra aggressive on first and second serves and was hitting some fantastic winners off it, or getting the ball back very flat and deep, thus enabling her to dictate the point on her opponents serve also. Off the ground Maria's forehand looked to be holding up very stroong and being much more dangerous and consistent than in recent years and she was hitting through the ball very well of that side, whereas the backhand was its normal reliable self. The movement once again showed leaps and bounds of improvement from just 5/6 months ago, as Maria was chasing balls down she would never have got to, and getting to balls much quicker, thus being able to be far more agressive on her next shot, rather than just getting the ball back across the net. Then finally Maria was still happy to get her opponent on the backfoot and get to the net to finish the point off. This has been a huge extra piece to Maria's game as she's taking so much recovery time away from her opponents by doing this and at the same time conserving a little more energy by finishing the point off earlier. All in all a very good weekend for Maria in her debut match, away from home in the most hostile atmosphere I've seen for Women's matches, Maria dealt with that really well, loved the team atmosphere and being on the sidelines supporting her team mates, she looked very at ease wit hit all and will for sure be looking forward to the April semi final and another possible box ticked on her CV if Russia can ocontinue to progress this year  :)

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #302 on: February 03, 2008, 01:44:57 PM »
Well Maria was the key for Russia this weekend after taking out Obziler for the loss of just 4 games and then even more impressively defeating number 19 Peer for the loss of just 2 games. Add this to the fact that this was her first ever Fed Cup tie, and also this was the most hostile atmosphere I've ever seen for Womens matches and Maria very much made a perfect debut and can be very satisfied at moving to 9-0 for the season and remaining with the record of not yet losing a set in 2008. I don't know how much of Maria's 2 matches you guys would have seen, but in particular today she was serving just as she did in Melbourne, so intelligently in setting up her next shot and gettin the inititive early in the point. Thankfully the shoulder still seems to be going well, but I still get so worried if it goes again. On the return side Maria was being ultra aggressive on first and second serves and was hitting some fantastic winners off it, or getting the ball back very flat and deep, thus enabling her to dictate the point on her opponents serve also. Off the ground Maria's forehand looked to be holding up very stroong and being much more dangerous and consistent than in recent years and she was hitting through the ball very well of that side, whereas the backhand was its normal reliable self. The movement once again showed leaps and bounds of improvement from just 5/6 months ago, as Maria was chasing balls down she would never have got to, and getting to balls much quicker, thus being able to be far more agressive on her next shot, rather than just getting the ball back across the net. Then finally Maria was still happy to get her opponent on the backfoot and get to the net to finish the point off. This has been a huge extra piece to Maria's game as she's taking so much recovery time away from her opponents by doing this and at the same time conserving a little more energy by finishing the point off earlier. All in all a very good weekend for Maria in her debut match, away from home in the most hostile atmosphere I've seen for Women's matches, Maria dealt with that really well, loved the team atmosphere and being on the sidelines supporting her team mates, she looked very at ease wit hit all and will for sure be looking forward to the April semi final and another possible box ticked on her CV if Russia can ocontinue to progress this year  :)

thanks for the update!!
Maria's movement was suspect last year, she had grown fast and had to learn again how to play with that difference.
I thought she could compensate by doing the proper drills for movement but wasn't sure.
Apparently she has, now with the same body she will be more comfortable as time goes on and may improve even further. Well see.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #303 on: February 03, 2008, 01:53:12 PM »

thanks for the update!!
Maria's movement was suspect last year, she had grown fast and had to learn again how to play with that difference.
I thought she could compensate by doing the proper drills for movement but wasn't sure.
Apparently she has, now with the same body she will be more comfortable as time goes on and may improve even further. Well see.

Exactly Herc, the movement, although it will never be trully brilliant is making a huge difference and Maria has really grown into her body well and looking much more confident moving forwards in particular, as she was always much better going side to side but weaker going forward and backwards, but now she's eliminated that and players are realising they can't look to drop shot her as much as she's getting to it more often than not with interest and putting the ball away across court more often than not, when her oppoent stays back, or down the line when her opponent closes the net down. Maria's so hungary and eager to keep improving, practicing hard, and playing superb on the match courts, so this is such an exciting time to be supporting and following Maria's every step, there's so much to play for this year and Maria's loving every minute of being injury free, healthy and playing trully fantastic tennis  :)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #304 on: February 05, 2008, 12:53:41 AM »
CANON EXTENDS RELATIONSHIP WITH MARIA THROUGH 2010

Canon U.S.A., Inc., today announced an extension of its global marketing relationship with tennis star Maria Sharapova through 2010.  The relationship will continue to include global advertising, retail promotions and events. 

Sharapova, the world's 5th ranked women's tennis player, has won three grand slams during her career - the Australian Open in 2008, the U.S. Open in 2006 and Wimbledon in 2004.  Sharapova has been with Canon since 2004 and her winning record on the court as well as her style, presence and elegance off it, make her a natural global representative for Canon the brand.    

"Maria Sharapova continues to shine on and off the court as one of the world's top players and has been a wonderful ambassador for the Canon brand with her style, substance and powerful game said Yuichi Ishizuka, senior vice president and general manager of the Consumer Imaging Group at Canon U.S.A., Inc. "The Maria and Canon relationship has been a perfect match and we look forward to supporting her quest to capture more grand slam titles."

Over the past four years Sharapova has helped Canon launch new PowerShot digital cameras and has participated in numerous events around major tournaments across the country.  Due to her busy schedule, Canon introduced Maria Sharapova "look-alikes" that have interacted with consumers, while she focused her efforts on the court.  

She has also starred in several popular commercials and ad campaigns including "Practice" where she first introduced the now famous tagline "Make every shot a PowerShot" and most recently "Dolce" where a Canon Digital ELPH camera allows Maria to indulge her passion of photography, personified by her efforts to capture her Pomeranian dog Dolce's every move.

"I'm excited to continue my association with such a powerful iconic brand," said Maria Sharapova.  "Canon has been a great partner -- my PowerShot digital camera travels with me around the world to make sure that every shot I take off the court is a PowerShot."  

Sharapova regularly travels with her PowerShot digital camera to capture and share her experiences with friends and family around the world.   

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #305 on: February 09, 2008, 03:11:10 PM »
Here's Maria's latest Doodle now that she's back home in Bradenton

HELLO!!!!!
Hello there!! I have so much to report ( I am actually looking at my notes on my phone because every time I think of what I want to write I put it in my phone so I don't forget.)

First off, it's a really nice feeling coming back home and bringing the big prize along with me! I wish I could explain how exciting it was to win that Grand Slam, but I don't think words can really describe it. After having so many setbacks last year, visiting so many doctors and MRI offices, winning this one just felt so right. There were two things I wanted after I won....one was to hug my mom and second was to have a Big Mac but instead I got a ticket to Israel (ok I did have a Big Mac in Israel).

The first three days I was stuck in my room witnessing something between a grade 4 hurricane and a tsunami right outside my window....for all that know me well, I have a lot of trouble doing nothing for a day, let alone three! One of the nights the hotels power lines were struck by lighting, and I have never ever heard a louder noise in my life.

When we finally proceeded to practice it was already Thursday. But the Fed Cup experience was worth everything! As I walked in the locker room after I won the first match , the whole team started cheering and saying welcome to Fed Cup!! We were all laughing about the fact that on my debut, we get the craziest crowd they have ever seen in their Fed Cup life. To be honest I think it got me more motivated to win because I was pretty tired throughout the whole week leading up to it, and after coming off a win at a grand slam everything seems so minor, but with a crowd like that it just pumps you up to keep going. I can't wait to come back and see some of the country, which I have heard from many people is beautiful.

As many probably have seen already, before I left for the trip I got my bangs cut. It was either that or going darker with my color. They remind me of the days when I was 4 years old and my mom would cut them for me. Minor problem is that they grow like weeds, and I begin looking like shaggy dog...

My newest beauty obsession is orange lipstick. Never been a big make-up girl so not quite sure what pulled the trigger on this one but im really into it.

I know it's way past Christmas but my friend Nadia got me the funniest present of all time...a piece of acre on Mars....no joke.....equipped with a certificate of land purchase and the map of location. I guess it's a good time to buy real estate!
I found the funniest X-mas card this year....... Santa Claus could never have been a woman. Who else but a man would be really generous once a year, be totally uninvolved the other 11 months, and think he was a Saint? Genius!!!

So today I spent the whole day unpacking, going through mail, e-mails, and watching basketball games on tv (finally live instead of taped!!)

First days back home are the best days because you get to take a good look around you and realize how amazing it is to be home and have a normal life. As I have a little more free time these days I will give you another update soon. xx

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #306 on: February 09, 2008, 03:58:08 PM »
Wow Chris you must really love doing.
I vaguely remember creating a Williams sisters one and I only made one post.lol
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #307 on: February 09, 2008, 04:01:46 PM »
Wow Chris you must really love doing.
I vaguely remember creating a Williams sisters one and I only made one post.lol

Good to see you in this part Wilson  :))
I really do love doing and keeping this thread up to date, Maria is monumental in my life so its amazing to keep talking about her and something I could do all day, every day. This type of thread is like going to heaven for me  :))

Keep your Williams sisters thread going!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 04:02:18 PM by ChrisTaylor1987 »

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #308 on: February 09, 2008, 05:51:21 PM »

HELLO!!!!!
Hello there!! I have so much to report ( I am actually looking at my notes on my phone because every time I think of what I want to write I put it in my phone so I don't forget.)

First off, it's a really nice feeling coming back home and bringing the big prize along with me! I wish I could explain how exciting it was to win that Grand Slam, but I don't think words can really describe it. After having so many setbacks last year, visiting so many doctors and MRI offices, winning this one just felt so right. There were two things I wanted after I won....one was to hug my mom and second was to have a Big Mac but instead I got a ticket to Israel (ok I did have a Big Mac in Israel).

The first three days I was stuck in my room witnessing something between a grade 4 hurricane and a tsunami right outside my window....for all that know me well, I have a lot of trouble doing nothing for a day, let alone three! One of the nights the hotels power lines were struck by lighting, and I have never ever heard a louder noise in my life.

When we finally proceeded to practice it was already Thursday. But the Fed Cup experience was worth everything! As I walked in the locker room after I won the first match , the whole team started cheering and saying welcome to Fed Cup!! We were all laughing about the fact that on my debut, we get the craziest crowd they have ever seen in their Fed Cup life. To be honest I think it got me more motivated to win because I was pretty tired throughout the whole week leading up to it, and after coming off a win at a grand slam everything seems so minor, but with a crowd like that it just pumps you up to keep going. I can't wait to come back and see some of the country, which I have heard from many people is beautiful.

As many probably have seen already, before I left for the trip I got my bangs cut. It was either that or going darker with my color. They remind me of the days when I was 4 years old and my mom would cut them for me. Minor problem is that they grow like weeds, and I begin looking like shaggy dog...

My newest beauty obsession is orange lipstick. Never been a big make-up girl so not quite sure what pulled the trigger on this one but im really into it.

I know it's way past Christmas but my friend Nadia got me the funniest present of all time...a piece of acre on Mars....no joke.....equipped with a certificate of land purchase and the map of location. I guess it's a good time to buy real estate!
I found the funniest X-mas card this year....... Santa Claus could never have been a woman. Who else but a man would be really generous once a year, be totally uninvolved the other 11 months, and think he was a Saint? Genius!!!

So today I spent the whole day unpacking, going through mail, e-mails, and watching basketball games on tv (finally live instead of taped!!)

First days back home are the best days because you get to take a good look around you and realize how amazing it is to be home and have a normal life. As I have a little more free time these days I will give you another update soon. xx

Thats nice, this came to me, "to hug my mom" - It's a shame her "mom" isn't at her matches (she's busy I know with other things...Maria's charity ect........), but it would be nice to see her "mom", I have seen some footage of Maria and her "mom" and they seem so close and so alike (in looks), that one quote just caught my eye  :))
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #309 on: February 10, 2008, 01:59:30 AM »

HELLO!!!!!
Hello there!! I have so much to report ( I am actually looking at my notes on my phone because every time I think of what I want to write I put it in my phone so I don't forget.)

Thats nice, this came to me, "to hug my mom" - It's a shame her "mom" isn't at her matches (she's busy I know with other things...Maria's charity ect........), but it would be nice to see her "mom", I have seen some footage of Maria and her "mom" and they seem so close and so alike (in looks), that one quote just caught my eye  :))

Yeah Maria is always thinking and speaking to her mum wherever she is and whatever she's doing in the world. She loves being at home and going shopping with her mum, and the 2 of them got all the disigns together for Maria's 2 houses and did all that together. When Maria's not on the Tour she's always with her mum. There so very close, and after 2 years away from one another 12 years ago probably appreciate and love each other that bit more. Maria's spoke nabout her mum maybe attending a tennis tournament one day, but also said she doesn't like being in the spotlight of the tennis world and would prefer to stay away from it, and instead looks after Maria's charities, business side of things, but maybe one day Maria will get her mum to one tournament  :)

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #310 on: February 10, 2008, 02:15:36 AM »
Big Mac haha.... i prefer big tasty or bacon burger or double/triple cheeseburger :)) haha!
Pretty cool of her to keep a blog like that, get in her head and stuff  :))
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #311 on: February 10, 2008, 02:40:14 AM »
Big Mac haha.... i prefer big tasty or bacon burger or double/triple cheeseburger :)) haha!

lol so the Big Mac is not quite your favourite then Victor  :)) It wasn't one of my favourites some time back but I had one about a year ago and have absolutely loved them ever since  :)
It's great when Maria/ any player do these blogs/journals things like that as like you say you're able to get inside their head, get to know them more and keep a check on their interests, likes away from the court, those sort of interesting things. I always love it when Maria does another doodle  :cool:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:47:19 AM by ChrisTaylor1987 »

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #312 on: February 10, 2008, 02:42:53 AM »

lol so the Big Mac is quite your favourite then Victor  :)) It wasn't one of my favourites some time back but I had one about a year ago and have absolutely loved them ever since  :)
It's great when Maria/ any player do these blogs/journals things like that as like you say you're able to get inside their head, get to know them more and keep a check on their interests, likes away from the court, those sort of interesting things. I always love it when Maria does another doodle  :cool:

Reread my post, i prefered big tasty, bacon or double/triple cheeseburger OVER the big mac  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:  :lmao: :lmao:
Yeah its cool to get to know what the pros think of everything themself, it must be pretty weird.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #313 on: February 10, 2008, 02:46:50 AM »

lol so the Big Mac is quite your favourite then Victor  :)) It wasn't one of my favourites some time back but I had one about a year ago and have absolutely loved them ever since  :)

Reread my post, i prefered big tasty, bacon or double/triple cheeseburger OVER the big mac  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:  :lmao: :lmao:
Yeah its cool to get to know what the pros think of everything themself, it must be pretty weird.

I read your post right Victor, I just missed the word 'not' out that I was supposed to put in before 'quite'  :))
The more pro's that can do this the better because its fascinating to read and get a feeling into  :)

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #314 on: February 10, 2008, 02:48:48 AM »

Ohh yeah...well as for big mac.. i dno.. i dont like to much salad in these hamburgers. I normally get the usual cheeseburgers/baconburgers but with the big tasty I ask for no salad, just way to much flavours. Trust me, ask for a hamburger plain once, just some meat cheese and stuff, and not to much salad and youll love it.

I read your post right Victor, I just missed the word 'not' out that I was supposed to put in before 'quite'  :))
The more pro's that can do this the better because its fascinating to read and get a feeling into  :)

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #315 on: February 10, 2008, 05:06:13 PM »

HELLO!!!!!

Yeah Maria is always thinking and speaking to her mum wherever she is and whatever she's doing in the world. She loves being at home and going shopping with her mum, and the 2 of them got all the disigns together for Maria's 2 houses and did all that together. When Maria's not on the Tour she's always with her mum. There so very close, and after 2 years away from one another 12 years ago probably appreciate and love each other that bit more. Maria's spoke nabout her mum maybe attending a tennis tournament one day, but also said she doesn't like being in the spotlight of the tennis world and would prefer to stay away from it, and instead looks after Maria's charities, business side of things, but maybe one day Maria will get her mum to one tournament  :)

Thanks Chris for more info on Maria and her mum, it reminds me of Pete and his parents (sorry to bring Pete up on here), but I will anyway!!

I hope she does get her to one of her matches, (just like Pete did, except it was both his parents  :)
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #316 on: February 10, 2008, 05:45:06 PM »
The Sports Oscar. St. Petersburg, Russia, will be the focus of the sporting world when it stages the 2008 Laureus World Sports Awards in the Marinsky Concert Hall on February 18. The glittering award ceremony will be hosted by famous Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova along with another equally famous Russian export supermodel (with Cinderella story) Natalia Vodianova.
Is this true or just a rumor???

Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #317 on: February 11, 2008, 12:54:18 AM »

HELLO!!!!!

Thanks Chris for more info on Maria and her mum, it reminds me of Pete and his parents (sorry to bring Pete up on here), but I will anyway!!

I hope she does get her to one of her matches, (just like Pete did, except it was both his parents  :)

You're right Alison, it really is a bit like Pete and his parents a few years back, and it will be good if Maria gets her mum to do what Pete got both of his parents to do and come and see them play at a tournament(s)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #318 on: February 11, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »
The Sports Oscar. St. Petersburg, Russia, will be the focus of the sporting world when it stages the 2008 Laureus World Sports Awards in the Marinsky Concert Hall on February 18. The glittering award ceremony will be hosted by famous Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova along with another equally famous Russian export supermodel (with Cinderella story) Natalia Vodianova.

There's been no talk of this that I've heard of and no confirmation anywhere, so I'd like to think it isn't true, especially since next Monday- the 18th is the first day of Maria's next tournament in Doha, so Maria shouldn't be there hosting the awards.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #319 on: February 11, 2008, 07:39:47 AM »

There's been no talk of this that I've heard of and no confirmation anywhere, so I'd like to think it isn't true, especially since next Monday- the 18th is the first day of Maria's next tournament in Doha, so Maria shouldn't be there hosting the awards.
top seed 4 players dont play 1st Round in Doha, Maria is world number 5, let's see what happen...she can get a bye in 1st Round...
it will be wonderful to watch Maria hosting Sports Oscars in home country, she is funny, elegant, classy!!!! and the AO champion!!!
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.