Author Topic: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!  (Read 198360 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: The Maria Sharapova thread- Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!
« Reply #320 on: February 11, 2008, 08:54:29 AM »
The Sports Oscar. St. Petersburg, Russia, will be the focus of the sporting world when it stages the 2008 Laureus World Sports Awards in the Marinsky Concert Hall on February 18. The glittering award ceremony will be hosted by famous Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova along with another equally famous Russian export supermodel (with Cinderella story) Natalia Vodianova.
Is this true or just a rumor???

There's been no talk of this that I've heard of and no confirmation anywhere, so I'd like to think it isn't true, especially since next Monday- the 18th is the first day of Maria's next tournament in Doha, so Maria shouldn't be there hosting the awards.
top seed 4 players dont play 1st Round in Doha, Maria is world number 5, let's see what happen...she can get a bye in 1st Round...
it will be wonderful to watch Maria hosting Sports Oscars in home country, she is funny, elegant, classy!!!! and the AO champion!!!

I really hope Maria doesnt host the awards even with a 1st round bye because with the bye she would still play on tuesday or wednesday and there should be no way in this world that the first day of a big tournament like Doha Maria is hosting the awards. Also Maria will definitely be getting a bye as its the top 8 seeds that all get a bye as its a 56 woman draw. They are really good awards but Maria should not be there hosting them when a tournament is just beginning. everything you say about Maria is so true so she would be a fabulous host but hopefully she wont get the chance this year to show that.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 12:10:52 PM by ChrisTaylor1987 »
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Online barbadosan

• Tennis God
« Reply #321 on: February 11, 2008, 10:30:34 PM »
Chris, I'm not even going to pretend I was Scooter skimming. Found this today, but if it's been posted just leave me a note and I'll delete it

With her mom and dad

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #322 on: February 12, 2008, 01:05:24 AM »
Chris, I'm not even going to pretend I was Scooter skimming. Found this today, but if it's been posted just leave me a note and I'll delete it

With her mom and dad

Thanks Barbadosan, no Scooter Skimming on your part  :)) as this picture hasn't been posted before. It's always great to see Maria with both her mum and dad at the same time as we don't get a lot of pictures like that throughout the tennis season  :)

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #323 on: February 12, 2008, 07:53:44 AM »
Yeah, Yuri looks much less crazy here with 2 blondies next to him.................and, normal clothes!   :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #324 on: February 12, 2008, 07:59:07 AM »
Yeah, Yuri looks much less crazy here with 2 blondies next to him.................and, normal clothes!   :rofl_2:

lol  :)) he is a good guy Yuri!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #325 on: February 14, 2008, 12:56:31 AM »
United States Sports Academy
MARIA SHARAPOVA AND ELI MANNING NAMED ATHLETES OF THE MONTH

DAPHNE, Ala. – Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova and New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning were named the United States Sports Academy’s Female and Male Athletes of the Month for January.

Without dropping a set in seven matches, Sharapova handily defeated Ana Ivanovic 7-5, 6-3 to win the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the season. Sharapova, ranked No. 5 in the world, did not have an easy path to the title as she defeated No. 1 Justine Henin and No. 3 Jelena Jankovic in the final.

In the month of January, Manning completed 65.5 percent of his passes for 850 yards and eight touchdowns, with only a single interception in four games in the month of January. That interception came against the New England Patriots during the last week of the regular season, before Manning led his team to playoff victories over all three NFC divisional champions (Tampa Bay 24-14, Dallas 21-17 and Green Bay 23-20 OT) to earn a berth in Super Bowl XLII.

Manning finished ahead of golfer Tiger Woods in voting for the Male Athlete of the Month. A 10-foot birdie on the 18th gave Woods a 1-under 71 and an eight-shot victory at the Buick Invitational. It was the ninth time in his career that Woods has won by at least that many shots. The victory earned him a fourth straight title at Torrey Pines and a third straight PGA Tour victory (dating back to last season).

Finishing behind Sharapova was Meseret Defar of Ethiopia. Defar holds world records in the outdoor 2-mile and 5,000-meters and indoor 3,000-meters events and, at the Reebok Boston Indoor Games, added another world record and title to her belt with her time of 9:10.50 in the indoor 2-mile race. The previous world record of 9:23.38 was set at the same meet in 2002 by Regina Jacobs.

U.S. figure skater Mirai Nagasu finished in third in the voting after taking home the ladies national figure skating title. Coming off an inspired short program, the ninth grader – and second youngest national champion ever – finished third in the free skate, good enough for the title.

Among the men, upstart tennis player Novak Djokovic of Serbia finished in third place in the voting after winning the Australian Open to take his first Grand Slam title.

The Academy’s Athlete of the Month is selected by a national voting committee comprising former athletes and members of media organizations and sport organizations and governing bodies. The Athlete of the Month culminates at the end of the year with the Athlete of the Year worldwide vote hosted by USATODAY.com and MSNBC.com. Winners from each month are automatically added to the Athlete of the Year ballot.

The United States Sports Academy is an independent, non-profit, accredited, special mission sports institute designed to serve the nation and the world with programs in instruction, research and service. The role of the Academy, “America’s Sports University,” is to prepare men and women for the profession of sports.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #326 on: February 16, 2008, 03:00:39 PM »
Maria has arrived in Doha just a little earlier today and will be having a couple of days practice in the Qatar city before playing her 1st match or either Tuesday or Wednesday  :) I've been waiting for this tournament for 2 weeks so am so ready to go now, and amazingly excited to see Maria again  :grind dance:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #327 on: February 16, 2008, 03:09:41 PM »
Maria has arrived in Doha just a little earlier today and will be having a couple of days practice in the Qatar city before playing her 1st match or either Tuesday or Wednesday  :) I've been waiting for this tournament for 2 weeks so am so ready to go now, and amazingly excited to see Maria again  :grind dance:

I'm predicting a 150+ posts per day!!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #328 on: February 16, 2008, 03:13:03 PM »

haha  :rofl_2: Maybe Swish although I have work at some stages this week, and won't be posting during Maria's matches as usual  :)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #329 on: February 16, 2008, 03:20:45 PM »

haha  :rofl_2: Maybe Swish although I have work at some stages this week, and won't be posting during Maria's matches as usual  :)

I'm sure you'll work it in somehow.  :)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #330 on: February 16, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »

I'm sure you'll work it in somehow.  :)

We'll see, maybe the Saturday and Sunday if Maria was still in I'd post a lot, and possibly the Tuesday, rest of the week I'll be doing a little work when Maria's not on  :)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #331 on: February 17, 2008, 01:58:47 AM »
Doha Draw Released

The draw for the Qatar Total Open in Doha, Qatar has been released and Maria is the 4th seed and has a bye in the 1st round.  In the 2nd round Maria will play either Kateryna Bondarenko of the Ukraine or Eleni Daniilidou of Greece.  Maria has played Daniilidou 5 times before and leads the series 5-0 and has never played the younger Bondarenko sister before.  This match will be played on either Tuesday or Wednesday.

The 1st seed Maria can meet is #14 seed Amelie Mauresmo of France in the 3rd round and is seeded to meet another French player Marion Bartoli in the quarters.  Maria is projected to meet #1 seed Ana Ivanovic of Serbia in the semis (and Maria has won the last 2 matches) or number 6 seed Venus Williams. Svetlana Kuznetsova, Jelena Jankovic and Anna Chakvetadze round off the draw in the bottom half.

Doha is played on rebound ace and is a tier 1 with prize money of $2,500,000 which is one of the largest money prizes in WTA tournaments this year.

The following week, Maria will play Dubai which will culminate her middle eastern tour.

Maria is unbeaten in Doha as she won here in her only appearance in 2005 when it was a tier 2 event.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #332 on: February 17, 2008, 06:48:27 AM »
Third Grand Slam creates new feeling: Sharapova

DOHA, February 17: Maria Sharapova takes a new feeling about her future into her first WTA Tour tournament since winning the Australian Open in spectacular fashion last month.

Sharapova's third Grand Slam title brought predictions that the 20 year old can take over as world number one again this year. It will certainly be a different Sharapova who contests the Qatar Open starting on Monday.

After enduring an injury-blighted 2007 in which she suffered many disappointments, Sharapova appears to have contained her long-lasting fitness problems and to have regained confidence in her ability to win more big titles.

"After having so many setbacks last year, visiting so many doctors, and MRI offices, winning this just felt so right," Sharapova said with intense feeling about her Melbourne success.

The coming week, in which the Doha tournament is elevated to tier one status on the WTA Tour for the first time, should provide a test of the long-term significance of Sharapova's remarkable Australian Open form.

While winning her first title for five months, and her first Grand Slam for 16 months, she dropped a mere 32 games in seven matches and 14 sets, and served more imposingly than at any time in her career.

The sense of Sharapova having reached a watershed increased when she followed it with a long-awaited and successful Fed Cup debut in Israel.

It confirmed the long-time Florida resident as "Russian in my heart," as she has always claimed, and helped dispel some of the hurtful sceptical gossip about her real identity.

"There were two things I wanted most after winning the Australian Open. One was a hug from my mum and the other was a burger," Sharapova said with pleasantly wry humour. "Instead I got a ticket to Israel."

But she played well enough and was applauded into the locker room by her team-mates after winning her first match, the performance suggesting two other significant long-term improvements.

One is to the long-lasting trouble with her shoulder and the other is to her immune system, a weakness in which afflicted her after every previous Grand Slam she played. This time she suffered no virus and less physical let-down.

Nevertheless Sharapova remains only at number five in the world, and climbing higher may again require further success over the next few days against players like Ana Ivanovic, her Australian Open final opponent, and the other flying Serb, Jelena Jankovic, her semi-final opponent in Melbourne.

Including these two, there should be 17 of the world's top 20 in Doha, making it one of the best women's tournaments ever held in the Middle East. This time though world number one Justine Henin will not be there to defend the title.

The Belgian is competing in her home country this week at the Proximus Diamond Games in Antwerp. Then she competes again the week after next at the Dubai Open, another special tournament for her as she has never lost there.

To attempt another tournament in between, and compete three weeks in a row, would be unwise for Henin, who has had virus and fitness issues herself.

Despite this Doha still has an attractive field, also containing former US Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova and Anna Chakvetadze, who maintained a perfect record of seven wins in WTA Tour finals by winning the Gaz de France in Paris last week.

It also contains the last two Wimbledon winners, Venus Williams and Amelie Mauresmo. The French player, who also had a miserable injury-wrecked 2007, may be able to see Sharapova's recovery as an example of what is possible for herself.

Currently ranked at 19 in the world - her lowest position in a decade - Mauresmo has not gone beyond a quarter-final in any tournament since the Wimbledon warm-up tournament at Eastbourne eight months ago.

"I had a lot of injuries and it definitely affected my energy," Mauresmo said of her dismal second half of the year. Now she claims that she merely needs to recover confidence.

But she also withdrew from Sydney tournament citing a continuing groin injury. It means there will be many well wishers in Doha watching and hoping that her complaining body has no more nasty surprises in store for her.

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #333 on: February 17, 2008, 08:03:04 AM »

DOHA, February 17: Maria Sharapova takes a new feeling about her future into her first WTA Tour tournament since winning the Australian Open in spectacular fashion last month.

Sharapova's third Grand Slam title brought predictions that the 20 year old can take over as world number one again this year. It will certainly be a different Sharapova who contests the Qatar Open starting on Monday.

After enduring an injury-blighted 2007 in which she suffered many disappointments, Sharapova appears to have contained her long-lasting fitness problems and to have regained confidence in her ability to win more big titles.

"After having so many setbacks last year, visiting so many doctors, and MRI offices, winning this just felt so right," Sharapova said with intense feeling about her Melbourne success.

The coming week, in which the Doha tournament is elevated to tier one status on the WTA Tour for the first time, should provide a test of the long-term significance of Sharapova's remarkable Australian Open form.

While winning her first title for five months, and her first Grand Slam for 16 months, she dropped a mere 32 games in seven matches and 14 sets, and served more imposingly than at any time in her career.

The sense of Sharapova having reached a watershed increased when she followed it with a long-awaited and successful Fed Cup debut in Israel.

It confirmed the long-time Florida resident as "Russian in my heart," as she has always claimed, and helped dispel some of the hurtful sceptical gossip about her real identity.

"There were two things I wanted most after winning the Australian Open. One was a hug from my mum and the other was a burger," Sharapova said with pleasantly wry humour. "Instead I got a ticket to Israel."

But she played well enough and was applauded into the locker room by her team-mates after winning her first match, the performance suggesting two other significant long-term improvements.

One is to the long-lasting trouble with her shoulder and the other is to her immune system, a weakness in which afflicted her after every previous Grand Slam she played. This time she suffered no virus and less physical let-down.

Nevertheless Sharapova remains only at number five in the world, and climbing higher may again require further success over the next few days against players like Ana Ivanovic, her Australian Open final opponent, and the other flying Serb, Jelena Jankovic, her semi-final opponent in Melbourne.

Including these two, there should be 17 of the world's top 20 in Doha, making it one of the best women's tournaments ever held in the Middle East. This time though world number one Justine Henin will not be there to defend the title.

The Belgian is competing in her home country this week at the Proximus Diamond Games in Antwerp. Then she competes again the week after next at the Dubai Open, another special tournament for her as she has never lost there.

To attempt another tournament in between, and compete three weeks in a row, would be unwise for Henin, who has had virus and fitness issues herself.

Despite this Doha still has an attractive field, also containing former US Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova and Anna Chakvetadze, who maintained a perfect record of seven wins in WTA Tour finals by winning the Gaz de France in Paris last week.

It also contains the last two Wimbledon winners, Venus Williams and Amelie Mauresmo. The French player, who also had a miserable injury-wrecked 2007, may be able to see Sharapova's recovery as an example of what is possible for herself.

Currently ranked at 19 in the world - her lowest position in a decade - Mauresmo has not gone beyond a quarter-final in any tournament since the Wimbledon warm-up tournament at Eastbourne eight months ago.

"I had a lot of injuries and it definitely affected my energy," Mauresmo said of her dismal second half of the year. Now she claims that she merely needs to recover confidence.

But she also withdrew from Sydney tournament citing a continuing groin injury. It means there will be many well wishers in Doha watching and hoping that her complaining body has no more nasty surprises in store for her.

if she continue to play like in the AO, she will be unstopable, but for how long she can be at that level of play?

FEDERER THE GOAT, 16 GSs, Career Slam, 21 GS finals, 23! consecutive GS SFs
My favs: Federer, Djokovic, DelPotro, Haas, Ana, Henin:)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #334 on: February 17, 2008, 08:08:44 AM »

if she continue to play like in the AO, she will be unstopable, but for how long she can be at that level of play?

Spot on Miticfam! and the question you pose is very interesting and this week we will find out a lot more about that because if Maria comes out playing similar tennis to Melbourne then that could well be her normal sort of level from now on(obviously not always quite that high every match) The next 7 days will tell us a lot about that aspect  :)

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #335 on: February 17, 2008, 10:33:27 AM »

Spot on Miticfam! and the question you pose is very interesting and this week we will find out a lot more about that because if Maria comes out playing similar tennis to Melbourne then that could well be her normal sort of level from now on(obviously not always quite that high every match) The next 7 days will tell us a lot about that aspect  :)

yes, we will see
i was amazed with her play in madrid last year, but what she showed in melbourne, well,that was incredible
do you know where i can watch this tournament on the internet because no tv station in serbia has a live coverage, i would shurely love to watch maria

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #336 on: February 17, 2008, 10:39:47 AM »

yes, we will see
i was amazed with her play in madrid last year, but what she showed in melbourne, well,that was incredible
do you know where i can watch this tournament on the internet because no tv station in serbia has a live coverage, i would shurely love to watch maria

Yeah the level in Madrid was amazing after the continuous injury, but then the confidence from that and fantastic and hard off season meant Maria went up another couple of levels in Melbourne. It was just amazing and so pleasing to see Maria play like that after the really hard 2007  :) I'll see if I can find a stream for you and post it so you can watch Maria and Ana and Jelena who you also love  :)

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #337 on: February 17, 2008, 10:47:40 AM »
and i would surely love to se Ana beating Maria in the semis, or Jelena in the final :))

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #338 on: February 17, 2008, 10:53:39 AM »
i cant guarantee a link that will show that though  :))

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #339 on: February 17, 2008, 04:11:27 PM »
Don't usually post a lot in this thread, but I ready this funny story and thought I'd post it.  Remember...this is a "Story" totally made up (from the Spoof), but it was funny anyway:

-----------------------------------------------
Maria Sharapova may have put an end to the recent controversy over whether Roger Federer is handsome or not. Currently on strike, Federer was maintaining his line that he would not go back on court until he was named most handsome male player on the circuit.

Events took a dramatic turn today however, when he was having a quiet drink with female tennis player and beauty, Maria Sharapova. Federer apparently brought up the subject about his looks and Sharapova was quick to say that she did not know why there was a debate. "Roger - I find you sexy" she is reported as saying.

Quick as a flash Federer reached for his mobile phone and contacted his agent. Within half an hour an impromptu press conference had been called at a local hotel - with a rather shaken Sharapova being paraded in front of the bemused hacks.

"I tell you today" said Federer" that Ms Sharapova - the most beautiful lady in the world - has said that I am very sexy. There it is. End of debate. No more speculation. I am sexy." He then grinned maniacally.

Maria Sharapova was asked by journalists if she thought Federer was the most handsome man on the circuit. Looking nervously at the world number one, who was staring wild eyed at her as he waited her reply, she offered a rather feeble: "Why sure."

This seemed to satisfy Federer who ran out of the room whooping with delightand shouting "Get me a racket - I'm back baby"

Pallid scotsman, Andy Murray, who Federer had panned for being too ugly commented later: "Federer may have got his way this time - but I will soon have a suntan and a decent haircut and then we will see who Maria really fancies".

The story above is a satire or parody. It is entirely fictitious.
If you fancy trying your hand at comedy spoof news writing, click here to join!