Author Topic: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!  (Read 202318 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: The Maria Sharapova thread- Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!
« Reply #360 on: February 22, 2008, 02:29:58 PM »
MARIA MAKES IT 12-0 FOR 2008

Maria has kept her impressive 2008 form going in Doha today as she has advanced to the semis.  Maria defeated Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark 6-0 6-1 in exactly an hour.

Maria scored a perfect 6-0 opening set against Wozniacki.  It took only 23 minutes.

Wozniacki got on the board in the 1st game of the 2nd set but Maria took control of the set by taking the remaining 6 games to take the set and match.

In the semis to be played on Saturday, Maria will face off against #16 seed Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland.  They have played twice before and the series is tied 1-1.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #361 on: February 22, 2008, 03:27:59 PM »
I think it will be an easy match for maria( ups did i just jinxed maria :confused1: :zipped:)

FEDERER THE GOAT, 16 GSs, Career Slam, 21 GS finals, 23! consecutive GS SFs
My favs: Federer, Djokovic, DelPotro, Haas, Ana, Henin:)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #362 on: February 22, 2008, 03:36:39 PM »
I think it will be an easy match for maria( ups did i just jinxed maria :confused1: :zipped:)

I sure hope you haven't jinxed and cursed Maria  :blue: I'm just really looking forward and excited to see Maria get on court again as if she plays as she did today it will be a pretty easy match tomorrow and Radwanska is going to have a proper introduction to the Real Maria  :)

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #363 on: February 22, 2008, 04:19:18 PM »
WTA Tour - Sharapova eases into last four

Australian Open champion Maria Sharapova maintained her unbeaten record in 2008 as she thundered her way to the semi-finals of the Qatar Open with a victory in less than an hour.

The strident brevity of Sharapova's 6-1 6-0 win over Caroline Wozniacki, a promising 17-year-old Dane, suggested she is unofficial favourite for her second title of the year as well provided her with her 12th successive victory in all competitions.

"It was a pretty solid performance apart from one game in the second set," said Sharapova.

"I felt pretty comfortable from the beginning. I was aggressive. I served and returned pretty well and felt pretty good."

Sharapova had the physical strength and the self-confidence not only to rush and harass her less powerful opponent, but also to hit through the desert wind which, though less fierce than during the previous two days, remained a constant annoyance.

She was helped by an error-spoilt start from her young opponent, enabling her to open up and take a few more risks quite early on.

When this too succeeded Sharapova was able to conduct the match at a bullying pace, hurrying between points and games to maintain the steamrollering effect.

Wozniacki received plenty of demonstrative advice during the interval between sets from her father-coach Piotr, a former professional footballer in Poland.

But though this may have helped her to hold serve in the opening game of the second set, she was unable to find much consistency, and, despite having changed to a racket with a different tension, was quickly under pressure again.

"I had to treat her with respect, because she had nothing to lose out there," added Sharapova.

"She's in a quarter-final of a tier one tournament against one of the top players, so for her it's about taking experience and playing freely - which is sometimes dangerous."

Sharapova now plays Agnieszka Radwanska, the elder of two rising sisters, the first Polish woman ever to make the world's top 20, and someone who could perhaps produce that danger.

Sharapova has plenty of motivation for victory as it was the Pole who knocked her out of the US Open last year.

"I don't like losing to an opponent twice in a row, so I am quite excited about getting an opportunity to play her again and give myself a chance to beat her," said the Russian.

Radwanska achieved her first Grand Slam quarter-final in Australia last month and has now reached her first WTA Tour semi-final with a three-hour 4-6 7-6 (1) 6-4 win, having been behind in all three sets against another 18-year-old, Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia.

"It is tough to play, and tough to serve and there were so many breaks," Radwanska said.

"That's one reason why it lasted so long (three hours). But anyway I will be ready tomorrow."

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #364 on: February 22, 2008, 06:42:35 PM »
That was a good old fashioned ass whooping.   

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #365 on: February 23, 2008, 01:07:15 AM »
That was a good old fashioned ass whooping.   

Perfect description, and one that's going alongside Maria pretty often now  :) Another 2 this weekend will do very nicely  :)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #366 on: February 23, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »
MARIA REMAINS UNBEATEN IN DOHA

Maria is through to her 2nd final of 2008 in Doha as she defeated #16 seed Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland 6-4 6-3 in 1 hour and 32 minutes.  Maria has now made it 13 straight wins this year and she also remains unbeaten in Doha as she has won 8 straight matches here. 

The 1st set was a battle as Radwanska took an early break to lead 2-0 when Maria hit a forehand into the net.  Maria re-grouped in the next game and fired a series of winners to get the break back.  The next 3 games were holds of serve and Maria broke Radwanska to lead 4-3 when she hit a pounding forehand winner crosscourt.  Maria then started to take control of the set and needed just 1 of 3 set-points when she hit a forehand cross-court to take the set 6-4 in 49 minutes.

2 breaks of serves started off the 2nd set and Maria got ahead when she took a 4-2 lead when she hit a huge backhand winner down the line.  Both players held there serves until Maria broke Radwanska to take game, set and match.  Maria took the set 6-3 when she hit a forehand winner down the line.

In the final Maria will play world #27 Vera Zvonareva of Russia.  Maria has never had an easy match against her compatriot as she leads the series 4-3.  Maria has won 3 of the last 4 meetings though against a player who has been plagued by injuries the last few years.  It will be a battle on Sunday but hopefully Maria can get her 2nd title of 2008!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #367 on: February 24, 2008, 05:16:07 AM »
Barclays Dubai Championships Draw

The draw for the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships in Dubai, UAE has been released and Maria is seeded 5 and will face #18 Agnes Szavay of Hungary.  Maria has never played Szavay before.  This match will be played on either Tuesday or Wednesday.

If Maria can get through that match she will play either Amelie Mauresmo of France or a qualifier in the 2nd round.  #2 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova is the 1st seeded player Maria can meet in the quarters.  Jelena Jankovic or Anna Chakvetadze could be a possible opponent in the semis.  Justine Henin and Ana Ivanovic round off the draw in the top half.

Dubai is played on hardcourts and is a tier 2.  This draw has to be one the strongest in WTA history as Maria is ranked #5 in the world and doesn't receive a bye in the 1st round. 

Maria has played Dubai once before 2 years ago reaching the final losing to Justine Henin.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #368 on: February 24, 2008, 08:03:31 AM »
Seeded #5?  What is her current ranking?  I am all out of whack with the rankings these days, I thought she was ranked higher.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #369 on: February 24, 2008, 08:06:56 AM »
Seeded #5?  What is her current ranking?  I am all out of whack with the rankings these days, I thought she was ranked higher.

Yeah ranked number 5 still right now after the events of last year, although could change with a win today when the new rankings are out.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #370 on: February 24, 2008, 12:31:26 PM »
MARIA: 2008 DOHA CHAMPION!  :applause: :shakey: :yahoo: :winner:

Maria has won the Qatar Total Open in Doha today as she defeated #27 Vera Zvonareva of Russia 6-1 2-6 in 1 hour and 31 minutes to claim her 18th career title and her 2nd title of 2008.  Maria is now unbeaten in 14 matches.  Congratulations Maria!

Maria didn't start the 1st set off well as she was broken to love by Zvonareva in the 1st game, but then the set was all Maria as she took the next 6 games to take the set 6-1 in 23 minutes.  Maria won the set on a service winner.

Zvonareva was in control in the 2nd set as Maria dropped her 2nd set of the tournament.  Zvonareva took it 6-2.

Maria re-grouped in the 3rd set as she didn't drop a game to take the title.

In the rankings Maria remains in 5th spot with 3526 points but she has closed the gap with those in front and now is only around 300 points behind #2 Ana Ivanovic.  In the race Maria is at #1 with 1465 points with around a 550 point lead over #2.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #371 on: February 24, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »

Maria with the 2008 Qatar Total Open Title

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #372 on: February 24, 2008, 12:59:59 PM »
Sharapova Prevails in Doha; Perfect Season Continues

DOHA, Qatar - There were two winning streaks on the line for Maria Sharapova on Sunday and despite a valiant second set challenge from Vera Zvonareva she emerged with them both intact, capturing the Tier I Qatar Open title with an emphatic 61 26 60 title victory over her countrywoman.

Despite her No.4 seeding, Sharapova was probably the favorite this past week, having been 9-0 this season coming in - including seven straight set wins en route to her third Grand Slam title at the Australian Open - and unbeaten in Doha previously, having claimed the title when it was a Tier II stop in 2005. Apart from an opening match hiccup, where she lost her first set of the year to qualifier Galina Voskoboeva before cruising 6-1 in the third, she had the same dominant form throughout her march to Sunday's final, crushing Tamarine Tansugarn and Caroline Wozniacki in the third round and quarterfinals before dismissing No.16 seed Agnieszka Radwanska in a closer contest, 64 63.

On the other side of the draw, the unseeded Zvonareva was causing a stir with upsets over seeds Francesca Schiavone, Dinara Safina and Sybille Bammer, and then made it past one of her nemeses, China's Li Na, in a tight three-setter in the semifinals. Bammer had taken out No.2 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova in the third round before falling to Zvonareva in the quarters and Li had taken out No.3 seed Jelena Jankovic before falling to the Russian in the semis.

In the final, which was the 12th all-Russian Sony Ericsson WTA Tour final of all time and the first in more than a year, it was Sharapova who came out firing, dropping serve at love in the first game but blowing through six consecutive games to win the first set in 23 minutes. Zvonareva retaliated in the second set, rallying from behind in each of the first three games en route to a 3-0 lead, and never really looked back before taking the set in 44 minutes.

It seemed as though both players' best form would collide in the deciding set as Zvonareva built a 30-15 lead serving in the opening game, but there would be a blowout once more as Sharapova belted her powerful, precise groundstrokes to perfection and totally ran away with it, needing only 24 more minutes to wrap up an emphatic 61 26 60 championship victory.

"I was kind of sleeping in the beginning but I got my feet going," Sharapova said. "I had so many opportunities at the start of the second set but didn't take them, and she's the type of player that plays better when she's down; I've seen it before. The first game of the third was important. I got myself going by winning some of the long points in that game and I just felt things started changing from there.

"I didn't feel I played my best tennis today - it was very up and down - but I found something to get me going and came out of it with a win. When you've got five matches in five days you can't expect to play your best every day."

It is Sharapova's sixth Tier I title after prior wins at Tokyo [Pan Pacific] in 2005, Indian Wells, San Diego and Zürich in 2006 and again San Diego last summer. She is now 18-7 lifetime in Sony Ericsson WTA Tour finals as well as 14-0 on the season and 9-0 lifetime in Doha. Things couldn't be more perfect these days for the Russian megastar, who hasn't even hit her 21st birthday.

"You strive to play at your best and put on the best performances as you can; I've had a perfect start to this year but I'm still very young and have many more months to compete and many more tournaments to play," said Sharapova on her goals. "Hopefully I can keep playing at this level and stay healthy, and continue to keep winning. I really just take it one match at a time."

For Zvonareva it was still a career week, reaching her 12th and biggest career final, having reached a final above the Tier III level just once before - at the now discontinued event in Philadelphia in 2004, which was a Tier II (she was a runner-up to Amélie Mauresmo). But wins over the likes of Li - against whom she had never won a set from previously - were certainly encouraging.

It wasn't a week to remember for everyone. Sharapova was the only Top 4 seed to make it to her projected semifinal berth, with Kuznetsova and Jankovic both crashing out early and top seed Ana Ivanovic injuring her left ankle and having to pull out of the draw prior to her third round match. Anna Chakvetadze, Venus Williams and Marion Bartoli were ousted early on as well. Top doubles team Cara Black and Liezel Huber fared better, making it all the way to the final, but hit a roadblock against No.3 seeds Kveta Peschke and Rennae Stubbs, who outduelled them in a match tie-break, 61 57 107, for their fourth title as a team (they won at Los Angeles, Stuttgart and Zürich last year).

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #373 on: February 24, 2008, 04:52:03 PM »
I fear Maria's recent successes are setting you up for a real let-down if and when she actually loses CT.    Sorry to be a bummer up in here but it came to my mind. 

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #374 on: February 24, 2008, 05:03:09 PM »
I fear Maria's recent successes are setting you up for a real let-down if and when she actually loses CT.    Sorry to be a bummer up in here but it came to my mind. 

If she only starts to lose quite often in the clay court season I doubt it would be a big deal.   Even CT does not expect her to win many events on clay probably, as long as she reaches the quarters and semis regularly on clay that is good for her.   So the letdown may not come for him at all.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #375 on: February 25, 2008, 01:03:34 AM »

If she only starts to lose quite often in the clay court season I doubt it would be a big deal.   Even CT does not expect her to win many events on clay probably, as long as she reaches the quarters and semis regularly on clay that is good for her.   So the letdown may not come for him at all.

Thanks Buckeye for trying your best to put a downer on this year  :)~ Kittens puts that very nicely indeed as if it comes during the clay season which is upon us in 3 tournaments time for Maria then its much more expected and quarters and semi's would be a nice build, especially in the hope of winning RG one year. But put it this way I'll be much less letdown with a loss at some stage as I would be this time last year, and when the loss inevitably does come, yes I'll be devastated but I'll just think back to all the terrible times and matches last year, consider how already Maria has a Slam and a major Tier 1 title and look at the upcoming next event to get back on track. It will be a huge disappointment and letdown when the defeat comes but being at 14-0 is a much easier time to deal with a loss rather than 5-7 or something. This week I fear for Maria having to play again tomorrow and to keep the run going having to win 5 matches in 5 days, meaning 10 within the last 11 days, so this could well be the week if there is the fatigue there.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #376 on: February 25, 2008, 03:16:34 PM »
Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships
MARIA VS SZAVAY

Maria will begin her 2008 Dubai campaign on Tuesday.  Maria will play #17 Agnes Szavay of Hungary in the 1st round.  They have never played before.

The match will be played on Centre Court at 19.00 Dubai time (15.00GMT, 10.00ET & 7.00PT).

Maria will have a very busy schedule if she gets to the final as from Tuesday she will have to play every day as the final is on Saturday, but if there is one player that can do, it is Maria!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #377 on: February 25, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »
Yeah Kitty and CT............but I wasn't really talking about clay, I was talking about her losing on hards or grass. 

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #378 on: February 26, 2008, 12:32:06 AM »
Yeah Kitty and CT............but I wasn't really talking about clay, I was talking about her losing on hards or grass. 

It's inevitable it will come Buckeye so when it does come I just look at everything and  put the season into perspective and then consider what an upturn it has been from the events of last year and look to the next tournament and getting back on track. Be sure that I'll be taking 16-1 or something like that already with a Grand Slam and one of the major Tier 1s safely tucked away. I'm going to be devastated when the loss comes, pretty down- but this has been a dream start to the year and that will help me get over those thoughts and feelings. Losing after 14,15,16 wins or whatever it could be will be less stressful to get over than going 4-6 or something. This week I fear for Maria having to play again today and to keep the run going having to win 5 matches in 5 days, meaning 10 within the last 11 days, so this could well be the week if there is the fatigue there.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #379 on: February 26, 2008, 02:04:12 PM »
DUBAI WITHDRAWAL- DOODLE

Hey everyone! I just wanted to give you a little update on why I had to withdraw this week.  First of all I was playing with a bad cold throughout the Doha tournament, but thankfully it held up well enough to keep me playing throughout the week. I flew to Dubai right after my final and woke up this morning feeling really fatigued and stuffed up with a cough. After trying to hit a little bit I came to the conclusion that I'm realistically not going to be ready to play 5 matches in the next 5 days.

It's been such a great and healthy start to the year, and I dont want to jepodize that by making the wrong decisions, as I have in the past. The plan is to have a nice week of 'nothing' and start up training for Palm Springs healthy and fresh.

Once I get home you will all receive a great doodle! Can't tell you how excited I am to have some days off! To all my fans that were going to see me in Dubai...I am really really sorry but the good news is that my career is still very young and I will be back playing in Dubai many more times!!