Author Topic: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!  (Read 198230 times)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Re: The Maria Sharapova thread- Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!
« Reply #400 on: March 07, 2008, 03:40:56 PM »
Those are nice pics...........especially the last 2!   :cool:

Right on Buckeye  :) ........... But then again I'd say that about any Maria pictures you liked  ;-()

..-) ..-)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #401 on: March 07, 2008, 03:48:52 PM »

Right on Buckeye  :) ........... But then again I'd say that about any Maria pictures you liked  ;-()

..-) ..-)

Thats the smilie I've never completely knew what its meaning, when you put that one down what word would you write instead of using the emoticon?
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #402 on: March 07, 2008, 03:52:05 PM »

..-) ..-)

Thats the smilie I've never completely knew what its meaning, when you put that one down what word would you write instead of using the emoticon?

That is the "rolling eyes" smilie.   In response to your obsession with Maria and constant slobbering over her, I would say something like "oh brother"!   Or "not again"!  To roll your eyes pretty much sums it up perfectly!   Also we use it for sarcasm...........see past posts on this! 

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #403 on: March 07, 2008, 03:58:19 PM »

..-) ..-)

That is the "rolling eyes" smilie.   In response to your obsession with Maria and constant slobbering over her, I would say something like "oh brother"!   Or "not again"!  To roll your eyes pretty much sums it up perfectly!   Also we use it for sarcasm...........see past posts on this! 

That was the kind of feel I got for it now, remember when I thought it was for something else, and so did a few other posters a while back and it was misinterpretered. I think and like your way of explaining that one best  ;-()

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #404 on: March 07, 2008, 04:00:54 PM »
Also well done Buckeye, as while I type we are 8 posts from going through the combined 20,000 mark! Way to go partner  ;-()

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #405 on: March 07, 2008, 04:02:05 PM »
Also well done Buckeye, as while I type we are 8 posts from going through the combined 20,000 mark! Way to go partner  ;-()

:cool:    But seriously, you might have too much time on your hands if you are pulling out these kind of stats!   :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #406 on: March 07, 2008, 04:07:51 PM »

:cool:    But seriously, you might have too much time on your hands if you are pulling out these kind of stats!   :rofl_2:

haha  :rofl_2: maybe- but nah, been really busy on a couple of courses for work these past 2 days so not been on much, and was a one off stat that came to me when I saw my post count just over halfway through the 9000s roughly and saw you appraching the mid 10000s and added them together and thought 'wow! we're almost at 20k between us'  :)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #407 on: March 08, 2008, 08:57:12 PM »
This is a pretty long interview but a very interesting one.

MARIA FULL OF GRACE
A three time Grand Slam Winner and a frequent Miami visitor, tennis superstar Maria Sharapova dominates her peers on the court and knocks the paparazzi dead off it.
www.oceandrive.com

This is the moment of Maria Sharapova. The Russian beauty just won the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne. Her image is all over billboards and television commercials for companies such as Nike, Canon, Tag Heuer, Prince and Sony Ericsson. She is one of most successful female athletes in the worldóboth financially and competitively. Locally, Sharapova hits Miami for the annual Sony Ericsson Open tennis tournament on Key Biscayne this month (March 26th to April 6th). Expect to see some hard-hitting serves and aces as Maria attempts to win her first title here. Of course, the sexy tennis star is no stranger to Florida. Not only does Sharapova, who is ranked number-five in the world, reside in Sarasota, but she has also been spotted at multiple Miami Heat games and lists China Grill as one of her favorite restaurants.

Although she posed in a bikini for the infamous Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue in 2006 and is a ubiquitous presence on television and in print with her ads for Canon, Sharapova is no Anna Kournikova flash-in-the-pan endorsement princess. She is a serious player, whose talent was first discovered by Martina Navratilova in Moscow when she was only six. This recognition prompted Mariaís father, Yuri, to relocate from Russia to Bradenton, Florida, so that he could enroll his daughter in the prestigious Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy (Mariaís mom joined the family stateside two years later). The sacrifice paid off when Sharapova turned pro in April 2001. Although she has yet to reach her 21st birthday (sheíll hit that milestone next month), Maria has already racked up an impressive collection of wins (including Grand Slams titles at the Australian Open, U.S. Open and Wimbledon). More significantly, she has set up her own foundation to assist disabled children and designs most of her on-court ensembles (in conjunction with Nike). In between tournaments spanning the globe (she had just returned from Israel), Sharapova spoke with Ocean Drive about what the future holds, both professionally and personally.

OCEAN DRIVE: What are you most looking forward to at the Sony Ericsson Open tennis tournament this month?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Iíve always loved this event because itís a really fun crowd. There are a variety of fans. It has a Latino feeling. Itís a mixed crowd, which you donít see very often. Miami is more of an entertainment town than a sports town and everyone is really excited when the event comes here. All of the players look forward to it, too. Aside from the Grand Slams, itís one of the biggest tournaments for us.

When you are playing how conscious are you of the crowd?
I try to block everyone outóeven if they are cheering with me. When I get on the court, my number-one priority is to focus on what I have to do to win. For my entire career, I have tried to block out anything thatís going on around me. But itís important to have support on your side. It helps you when you are down. Your fans lift you up.   

How hot does it get playing here?
It does get hot. But after the Australian Open, itís not that hot. I was raised in Florida and I still live here, so Iím pretty used to the heat. Growing up, I practiced in the heat. Itís not a surprise anymore.

You have been to the finals of the Sony Ericsson but never won. Is this your year?
I hope so. You always want to do better than previous years. Obviously, itís a tournament I have not won before. Itís one that I want to add on to my list.

Congratulations on winning the Australian Open. What was that like?
Throughout the two weeks, I had different competition. I felt like I was playing better as the competition was getting tougher. As an athlete, your goal is to raise your level of play. I was happy that I was able to do that.

What was the actual moment like when you won?
It was great. I had some very good wins during the week but after each one, I still knew the tournament wasnít over. After the final point, it takes you a while to figure out that it actually is over.

You have won Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and now the Australian. Are you gearing up for the French Open in order to win all four Grand Slam titles?
I am. I have a lot of respect for the French Open. It will be the toughest Grand Slam for me to win. Itís physically challenging to play on clay, especially against clay-court players. There are long rallies. Iím physically stronger now than I was a few years ago, and my results are getting better and better.

How often are you traveling, and what is it like being on the road so much?
We have tournaments 11 months of the year. Our off-season is very short. Itís a month in December. When I travel, itís tough. I can be on the road for seven to eight weeks at times. Itís challenging. You have to pack well.

Are you an expert packer?
By this time, I am. I travel with one bag for my sport clothes and another bag for my off-court clothes and shoes. Thatís usually the bigger bag.

Do you get to sightsee on these trips? Do you go to museums?
I try to. When you are winning, you are there for two weeks straight. And the tournament keeps going and your focus is on winning. When you donít sightsee, itís a good thing because you know you are doing well in the tournament. For example, Iíve been to the Louvre in Paris, but I donít have the time to see every gallery and museum.

Is the tour a lonely place or are the girls friendly?
Itís an individual sport, so you may be playing against whomever you are friends with. They are going to be on the other side of the net. Itís difficult to have best friends on tour. But so many Russian girls are on the top, it seems like we play against each other every week.

How do you feel about the Russian dominance of womenís tennis?
It has been going on for a while. Itís great to see. The coolest part of it is that we all developed our talent in different parts of the world. Some stayed in Russia, some trained in Spain, and some went to the States. Itís not like we went to the same school, did the same drills and ate the same food. And we all managed to get to the top with different paths.

You play for Russia in the Fed Cup, but you live in the United States. Where do your loyalties lie?
Iím always going to be Russian. Thatís where my family lives. I moved here because of my career. My coach lives here. You get accustomed to the culture. You meet new friends. But my blood will always be Russian. Thatís where I was born. So, even though I live in the States, I am very close to my home country. I eat Russian food all the time.

What is some of your favorite Russian comfort food?
I love borscht, the traditional soup made with beets. We have these dumplings that my grandma makes that are really good. And blintzes, which are crepes in English.

Where do you live?
My main home is in Sarasota, Florida. I bought a house in Manhattan Beach, California, a few years ago. Itís my vacation house.

How often are you in Miami?
Quite often. I have friends in Miami and I do some of my shoots here. Itís definitely a place I look forward to visiting.

When you came to America in 1995 with your father, you arrived in Miami. Do you have a soft spot in your heart for the city?

I do. Itís the first place where we landed when we came from Russia. There are a lot of memories.

Which players do you admire?
Itís hard to admire other players because you have to go out there and play against them. You hope that you beat them. Iíve never been a person who had heroes or people to look up to. Iíve never thought that anyone was perfect, including myself. Everybody has flaws. I appreciate peopleís talent and ability. I try to pick up on the good things they do. But I never wanted to play the same way someone played or be like someone else.

Those Canon ads are adorable. Are you a good photographer?
Iím the person who always has my camera out when no one else does. I love taking pictures. I love memories. Sometimes when I want to see pictures of when I was young and there arenít many of them, Iím like, darn it, we didnít take any pictures. Now I donít want that to happen.

What is your biggest indulgence?
Iím really into modern art. I hope I can buy an Ed Moses this year. That is my latest obsession.

Who are your favorite designers?
Chanel, Vera Wang and Tom Ford. I love fashion. I would love to incorporate my ideas into fashionóafter tennis, of course.

You wear some pretty splashy outfits on the court. How involved are you in the design of these clothes?
I work with the Nike designers constantly on all the things I wear. I have a lot of input on design and colors. Itís a fun process. When I travel around the world, I am inspired by the way people dress. I incorporate that into what I wear.

What was it like doing the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue?
It was fun. Itís not every day that I take pictures in a bikini.

Are you a party girl? Do you like to go out?
No. I donít like to go out at all. I prefer staying home and watching movies. I travel so much that when I get home I just want to be home. I need peace and quiet in my life. When you are on the road, everything is just go, go, go.

Is it hard for you to date with your schedule?
Itís more difficult versus living in one place. Any relationship that I have is long-distance because of the amount of travel. That makes it tough.

Are you dating anyone?
I donít talk about that.

What type of music do you listen to? Who are your favorite artists?
Dave Matthews, David Gray and Amy Winehouse. I can listen to hip-hop and then I can easily go into something slower like Counting Crows.

You are a self-proclaimed SportsCenter junkie.
I spend so much time with guys when I travel and all they talk about is sports. Watching SportsCenter has become a habit.

Why are people so fascinated by your grunting on the court?
I donít know. Itís laughable.

What causes do you support?
I work with the United Nations Development Programme on efforts at Chernobyl. That has been a big part of my life. My mom was pregnant in Belarus during Chernobyl and thatís why we moved to Russia. I am working with the UNDP on many projects. Iím actually going to Belarus this year to see some of the hospitals and computer centers they have built. These are really exciting projects, which I am spending a lot of time on.

Tell me about your foundation.
I raise money for kids with disabilities and try to help them achieve their goals.

How long will you play tennis?
Until the day I have no interest in going to the practice court. Or when I donít feel like getting better. I will be playing for the next five years.

And what about life after tennis?
I donít see myself coaching. One of my goals is to open a small tennis academy back in Russia for young kids. They need a good indoor center. One of the reasons I left Russia is that they donít have too many good indoor centers, and the ones they had were pretty expensive. They were more for the rich than young kids growing up.

Everything I ever wanted to know about Maria Sharapova :innocent: :rofl_2:  Seriously.. .I'm happy for you Chris.  With Maria on such a good winning streak, you're finding more articles than ever about her which - I know - makes you happy.  Good articles (not like I'm going through right now with people attacking Roger left and right :rofl_2:). 

Seriously - That was a great interview though. :))

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #408 on: March 09, 2008, 03:00:18 AM »

MARIA FULL OF GRACE
A three time Grand Slam Winner and a frequent Miami visitor, tennis superstar Maria Sharapova dominates her peers on the court and knocks the paparazzi dead off it.
www.oceandrive.com

This is the moment of Maria Sharapova. The Russian beauty just won the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne. Her image is all over billboards and television commercials for companies such as Nike, Canon, Tag Heuer, Prince and Sony Ericsson. She is one of most successful female athletes in the worldóboth financially and competitively. Locally, Sharapova hits Miami for the annual Sony Ericsson Open tennis tournament on Key Biscayne this month (March 26th to April 6th). Expect to see some hard-hitting serves and aces as Maria attempts to win her first title here. Of course, the sexy tennis star is no stranger to Florida. Not only does Sharapova, who is ranked number-five in the world, reside in Sarasota, but she has also been spotted at multiple Miami Heat games and lists China Grill as one of her favorite restaurants.

Although she posed in a bikini for the infamous Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue in 2006 and is a ubiquitous presence on television and in print with her ads for Canon, Sharapova is no Anna Kournikova flash-in-the-pan endorsement princess. She is a serious player, whose talent was first discovered by Martina Navratilova in Moscow when she was only six. This recognition prompted Mariaís father, Yuri, to relocate from Russia to Bradenton, Florida, so that he could enroll his daughter in the prestigious Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy (Mariaís mom joined the family stateside two years later). The sacrifice paid off when Sharapova turned pro in April 2001. Although she has yet to reach her 21st birthday (sheíll hit that milestone next month), Maria has already racked up an impressive collection of wins (including Grand Slams titles at the Australian Open, U.S. Open and Wimbledon). More significantly, she has set up her own foundation to assist disabled children and designs most of her on-court ensembles (in conjunction with Nike). In between tournaments spanning the globe (she had just returned from Israel), Sharapova spoke with Ocean Drive about what the future holds, both professionally and personally.

OCEAN DRIVE: What are you most looking forward to at the Sony Ericsson Open tennis tournament this month?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Iíve always loved this event because itís a really fun crowd. There are a variety of fans. It has a Latino feeling. Itís a mixed crowd, which you donít see very often. Miami is more of an entertainment town than a sports town and everyone is really excited when the event comes here. All of the players look forward to it, too. Aside from the Grand Slams, itís one of the biggest tournaments for us.

I try to block everyone outóeven if they are cheering with me. When I get on the court, my number-one priority is to focus on what I have to do to win. For my entire career, I have tried to block out anything thatís going on around me. But itís important to have support on your side. It helps you when you are down. Your fans lift you up.   

It does get hot. But after the Australian Open, itís not that hot. I was raised in Florida and I still live here, so Iím pretty used to the heat. Growing up, I practiced in the heat. Itís not a surprise anymore.

You have been to the finals of the Sony Ericsson but never won. Is this your year?
I hope so. You always want to do better than previous years. Obviously, itís a tournament I have not won before. Itís one that I want to add on to my list.

Throughout the two weeks, I had different competition. I felt like I was playing better as the competition was getting tougher. As an athlete, your goal is to raise your level of play. I was happy that I was able to do that.

It was great. I had some very good wins during the week but after each one, I still knew the tournament wasnít over. After the final point, it takes you a while to figure out that it actually is over.

You have won Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and now the Australian. Are you gearing up for the French Open in order to win all four Grand Slam titles?
I am. I have a lot of respect for the French Open. It will be the toughest Grand Slam for me to win. Itís physically challenging to play on clay, especially against clay-court players. There are long rallies. Iím physically stronger now than I was a few years ago, and my results are getting better and better.

We have tournaments 11 months of the year. Our off-season is very short. Itís a month in December. When I travel, itís tough. I can be on the road for seven to eight weeks at times. Itís challenging. You have to pack well.

By this time, I am. I travel with one bag for my sport clothes and another bag for my off-court clothes and shoes. Thatís usually the bigger bag.

I try to. When you are winning, you are there for two weeks straight. And the tournament keeps going and your focus is on winning. When you donít sightsee, itís a good thing because you know you are doing well in the tournament. For example, Iíve been to the Louvre in Paris, but I donít have the time to see every gallery and museum.

Itís an individual sport, so you may be playing against whomever you are friends with. They are going to be on the other side of the net. Itís difficult to have best friends on tour. But so many Russian girls are on the top, it seems like we play against each other every week.

It has been going on for a while. Itís great to see. The coolest part of it is that we all developed our talent in different parts of the world. Some stayed in Russia, some trained in Spain, and some went to the States. Itís not like we went to the same school, did the same drills and ate the same food. And we all managed to get to the top with different paths.

You play for Russia in the Fed Cup, but you live in the United States. Where do your loyalties lie?
Iím always going to be Russian. Thatís where my family lives. I moved here because of my career. My coach lives here. You get accustomed to the culture. You meet new friends. But my blood will always be Russian. Thatís where I was born. So, even though I live in the States, I am very close to my home country. I eat Russian food all the time.

I love borscht, the traditional soup made with beets. We have these dumplings that my grandma makes that are really good. And blintzes, which are crepes in English.

Where do you live?
My main home is in Sarasota, Florida. I bought a house in Manhattan Beach, California, a few years ago. Itís my vacation house.

Quite often. I have friends in Miami and I do some of my shoots here. Itís definitely a place I look forward to visiting.

When you came to America in 1995 with your father, you arrived in Miami. Do you have a soft spot in your heart for the city?

I do. Itís the first place where we landed when we came from Russia. There are a lot of memories.

Itís hard to admire other players because you have to go out there and play against them. You hope that you beat them. Iíve never been a person who had heroes or people to look up to. Iíve never thought that anyone was perfect, including myself. Everybody has flaws. I appreciate peopleís talent and ability. I try to pick up on the good things they do. But I never wanted to play the same way someone played or be like someone else.

Iím the person who always has my camera out when no one else does. I love taking pictures. I love memories. Sometimes when I want to see pictures of when I was young and there arenít many of them, Iím like, darn it, we didnít take any pictures. Now I donít want that to happen.

Iím really into modern art. I hope I can buy an Ed Moses this year. That is my latest obsession.

Chanel, Vera Wang and Tom Ford. I love fashion. I would love to incorporate my ideas into fashionóafter tennis, of course.

You wear some pretty splashy outfits on the court. How involved are you in the design of these clothes?
I work with the Nike designers constantly on all the things I wear. I have a lot of input on design and colors. Itís a fun process. When I travel around the world, I am inspired by the way people dress. I incorporate that into what I wear.

No. I donít like to go out at all. I prefer staying home and watching movies. I travel so much that when I get home I just want to be home. I need peace and quiet in my life. When you are on the road, everything is just go, go, go.

Itís more difficult versus living in one place. Any relationship that I have is long-distance because of the amount of travel. That makes it tough.

Are you dating anyone?
I donít talk about that.

Dave Matthews, David Gray and Amy Winehouse. I can listen to hip-hop and then I can easily go into something slower like Counting Crows.

I spend so much time with guys when I travel and all they talk about is sports. Watching SportsCenter has become a habit.

I work with the United Nations Development Programme on efforts at Chernobyl. That has been a big part of my life. My mom was pregnant in Belarus during Chernobyl and thatís why we moved to Russia. I am working with the UNDP on many projects. Iím actually going to Belarus this year to see some of the hospitals and computer centers they have built. These are really exciting projects, which I am spending a lot of time on.

I raise money for kids with disabilities and try to help them achieve their goals.

Until the day I have no interest in going to the practice court. Or when I donít feel like getting better. I will be playing for the next five years.

I donít see myself coaching. One of my goals is to open a small tennis academy back in Russia for young kids. They need a good indoor center. One of the reasons I left Russia is that they donít have too many good indoor centers, and the ones they had were pretty expensive. They were more for the rich than young kids growing up.

Everything I ever wanted to know about Maria Sharapova :innocent: :rofl_2:  Seriously.. .I'm happy for you Chris.  With Maria on such a good winning streak, you're finding more articles than ever about her which - I know - makes you happy.  Good articles (not like I'm going through right now with people attacking Roger left and right :rofl_2:). 

I'm looking to improve your knowledge of Maria Dallas  :)) Shame that this thread wasn't started when i was here first time, you'd have seen a lot more articles then  ;-() Glad you liked the interview, and no you're always happy for me when Maria's doing well, so thanks! You're certainly in a very unusual position of having to constantly defend Roger right now, need any tips just come to me as you know I spent just about everyday first time on here defending Maria constantly.
Can't wait now for Indian Wells and seeing Maria get back on the court and looking to continue her good and consistent level, and who knows maybe moving to 20-0 for the year  :grind dance:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #409 on: March 10, 2008, 04:09:08 PM »
INDIAN WELLS DRAW RELEASED

The draw for the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells has been released and Maria is the #4 seed and has a bye in the 1st round and will play either Lilia Osterloh of the United States or a qualifier.    Maria has played Osterloh twice before and won both matches without dropping a set.

The 1st seed Maria can meet is #25 seed Eleni Daniilidou of Greece in the 3rd round.  Maria can meet #15 seed Alona Bondarenko of the Ukraine or #17 seed Amelie Mauresmo in the 4th round.  Last year's champion Daniela Hantuchova is Maria's projected opponent in the quarters and Maria is in #2 seed Svetlana Kusnetsova's half.  Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic round off the draw in the top half.

Indian Wells is a tier 1 event played on hardcourts and is the 1st event of the American hardcourt double with Miami being played in 2 weeks times.  Maria's best result was winning here 2 years ago and she reached the 4th round here last year.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #410 on: March 10, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »

MARIA FULL OF GRACE
www.oceandrive.com

Where do you live?

Are you dating anyone?
I donít talk about that.

Great response from Maria over the "grunting" question  :gleam:  Just laugh at them

Vera wang - great taste Maria  :))
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #411 on: March 12, 2008, 10:47:11 PM »
Healthy Sharapova ready to shine under California sun!!!!

INDIAN WELLS, California (AFP) - Australian Open champion Maria Sharapova puts her pefect 2008 record on the line in the Pacific Life Open men's and women's hardcourt tennis tournament that started here Wednesday.

Sharapova, seeded fourth in a women's field led by top-seeded Serbian Ana Ivanovic, followed up her Australian Open triumph with a victory in Doha before withdrawing from the tournament in Dubai because of a nagging virus.

She said her success this season, in which her 14-0 record includes two FedCup victories, has shown she has the grit it takes to come back after a 2007 season in which she battled a shoulder injury.

"I was playing with painkillers, and even if it didn't hurt, you knew in the back of your mind that you had to do something about it," said the 20-year-old Russian, who is currently ranked fifth in the world.

"But I have gained a lot of confidence now, knowing that I was able to come back. I came back stronger and really feel good about myself.

"I know I can do it no matter what happens," added Sharapova, owner of three Grand Slam titles.

Like all of the seeded players in both the men's and women's draws of this 5.7 million-dollar tournament, Sharapova has a first-round bye.

In the second round Sharapova will face French qualifier Stephanie Cohen-Aloro, who defeated American Lilia Osterloh 6-1, 6-2 as first round action began on Wednesday.

------------------------------------

Ivanovic, whose runner-up finish to Sharapova in the Australian Open propelled her to number two in the world behind Belgian Justine Henin - who isn't entered this week, is the top women's seed in a tier-one event for just the second time in her career.

The first was in Doha in February, when she won her first match but pulled out of her next with an ankle injury.

Ivanovic, who then fell in the quarter-finals of Dubai, was adjusting to the conditions in California as she waited to launch her campaign.

"The balls are flying a lot and it's difficult to find a rhythm," she said. "The courts are also playing slow. I'll be working on my timing."

Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova, the women's second seed, will face compatriot Ekaterina Makarova in the second round. Makarova defeated American Meilen Tu 6-4, 6-2 in the first round on Wednesday.

Jelena Jankovic of Serbia, the third seed, arrived stateside in search of a new coach to help her build on her success of last season, when she won four of her five career titles.

"I'm working hard to find a new coach," she said. "I've got a lot of options. No one has turned me down."

She said she would be working during this tournament with trainer Pat Etcheberry on her fitness, but also wants someone who can help her improve her game.

"I want to go to the next level. I want someone who knows more about tennis than I do."

-------------------------------------------------------

Men's action begins on Thursday as the ATP's lesser lights jockey for position in the first round.

Waiting in the wings will be world number one Roger Federer and the rest of the seeded players.

Second-seeded Rafael Nadal will be hoping to retain the title he won here last year - the first of his six titles of 2007.

Federer is the top seed here for the fifth straight year.

However, he was shocked here last year by Argentina's Guillermo Canas in the second round.

The three-time Indian Wells titlist will also be trying to bounce back from a first-round upset by Andy Murray in Dubai last week, as well as a semi-final ouster at the Australian Open by eventual champion Novak Djokovic, who is seeded third here.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #412 on: March 13, 2008, 01:50:01 AM »
Nice article Conchita and Maria will be taking to the court in just over 36 hours- as she'll be playing her 2nd round match Friday, and I just can't wait :yahoo: :grind dance:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #413 on: March 13, 2008, 03:13:17 PM »
Hey CT, I couldn't resist, this is just for you. What would you do to be in Novak's shoes  :rofl_2:, sorry couldn't resist  :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #414 on: March 13, 2008, 03:17:01 PM »
Hey CT, I couldn't resist, this is just for you. What would you do to be in Novak's shoes  :rofl_2:, sorry couldn't resist  :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Hi Alex  :)) Saw this and that Maria and Djoko teamed up at a charity event just before Indian Wells and played some Mixed doubles. Looks like they had a great time, and all for a good cause. Just think though how envious I am of Djoko looking at that picture  :swoon: :wub:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #415 on: March 13, 2008, 03:22:31 PM »
Ah, I thought I was going to surprise you. Yeah, it looks like they had a very good time.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #416 on: March 13, 2008, 03:27:52 PM »
Ah, I thought I was going to surprise you. Yeah, it looks like they had a very good time.

You know me Alex, anything regarding Maria can't surprise me  :)) good to see one of the pictures again though, as was only looking through them yesterday, so nice spot Alex  :)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #417 on: March 13, 2008, 03:38:18 PM »

You know me Alex, anything regarding Maria can't surprise me  :)) good to see one of the pictures again though, as was only looking through them yesterday, so nice spot Alex  :)
I know, silly me. A guy on the other board says hes never seen Maria in physical contact with any guy of her age before. Can you confirm this? I'd like to prove him wrong.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #418 on: March 13, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »

I know, silly me. A guy on the other board says hes never seen Maria in physical contact with any guy of her age before. Can you confirm this? I'd like to prove him wrong.

No she hasn't as far as any pictures are concerned. There's never been anything or any pictures of Maria with physical contact with anybody her own age. Very private person when it comes to her life away from court.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #419 on: March 13, 2008, 03:57:22 PM »

No she hasn't as far as any pictures are concerned. There's never been anything or any pictures of Maria with physical contact with anybody her own age. Very private person when it comes to her life away from court.
Maria is very focused in tennis and very young too, but it's quite difficult to believe she had not a boyfriend, and no pictures, difficult to explain, I mean Maria is too beautiful and has a wonderful personality, btw there were rumours Nole and Maria had a love affair during last USO and I think both are interested in the other. I see another Graf-Agassi in the future with Nole-Maria. btw Ivanovic is also alone. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 03:59:28 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.