Author Topic: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!  (Read 208385 times)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: The Maria Sharapova thread- Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!
« Reply #420 on: March 13, 2008, 04:06:05 PM »
Ah, I thought I was going to surprise you. Yeah, it looks like they had a very good time.

You know me Alex, anything regarding Maria can't surprise me  :)) good to see one of the pictures again though, as was only looking through them yesterday, so nice spot Alex  :)

I know, silly me. A guy on the other board says hes never seen Maria in physical contact with any guy of her age before. Can you confirm this? I'd like to prove him wrong.

No she hasn't as far as any pictures are concerned. There's never been anything or any pictures of Maria with physical contact with anybody her own age. Very private person when it comes to her life away from court.

Maria is very focused in tennis and very young too, but it's quite difficult to believe she had not a boyfriend, and no pictures, difficult to explain, I mean Maria is too beautiful and has a wonderful personality, btw there were rumours Nole and Maria had a love affair during last USO and I think both are interested in the other. I see another Graf-Agassi in the future with Nole-Maria. btw Ivanovic is also alone. 

No Conchita, they are just friends. Novak is very committed to his girlfriend Jelena (not Jankovic) since 2005. You can see them in this pic.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #421 on: March 13, 2008, 04:11:20 PM »
Ah, I thought I was going to surprise you. Yeah, it looks like they had a very good time.

You know me Alex, anything regarding Maria can't surprise me  :)) good to see one of the pictures again though, as was only looking through them yesterday, so nice spot Alex  :)

I know, silly me. A guy on the other board says hes never seen Maria in physical contact with any guy of her age before. Can you confirm this? I'd like to prove him wrong.

No she hasn't as far as any pictures are concerned. There's never been anything or any pictures of Maria with physical contact with anybody her own age. Very private person when it comes to her life away from court.

Maria is very focused in tennis and very young too, but it's quite difficult to believe she had not a boyfriend, and no pictures, difficult to explain, I mean Maria is too beautiful and has a wonderful personality, btw there were rumours Nole and Maria had a love affair during last USO and I think both are interested in the other. I see another Graf-Agassi in the future with Nole-Maria. btw Ivanovic is also alone. 

No Conchita, they are just friends. Novak is very committed to his girlfriend Jelena (not Jankovic) since 2005. You can see them in this pic.

Thanks Alex!! since 2005!!! that's a long relation esp. bc. Nole was 17 y.o. I really like the idea that he is very focused with Jelena bc I had the feeling Nole could be waisting his wonderful career with too many women and good life, he is too young and famous. 
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #422 on: March 13, 2008, 04:17:04 PM »

Thanks Alex!! since 2005!!! that's a long relation esp. bc. Nole was 17 y.o. I really like the idea that he is very focused with Jelena bc I had the feeling Nole could be waisting his wonderful career with too many women and good life, he is too young and famous. 

Yup, I think Djokovic has a very strong character. Novak is very devoted to his family and his friends too. He is also very private, but they've been together since 2005. Novak might be joking about girls and stuff, but he is in love with Jelena only. She is a very pretty girl.

Offline the Batman

• Tennis God
« Reply #423 on: March 13, 2008, 04:30:42 PM »
In tennis.com I asked the moderator (a journalist that travelled with the tour at that time) if Maria was getting any sex (her screams could be interpreted as repressed energy...  :gleam:) and after deleting my thread he responded (in a 2nd one) that she obviously was known for having fun and more in that sense... so no Virgin Mary in case anyone thought so...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 04:34:33 PM by the Batman »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #424 on: March 13, 2008, 04:32:28 PM »
In tennis.com I asked the moderator (a journalist that travels with the tour at that time) if Maria was getting any sex (her screams could be interpreted as repressed energy...  :gleam:) and after deleting my thread he responded (in a 2nd one) that she obviously was known for having fun and more in that sense... so no Virgin Mary in case anyone thought so...
that was too funny!!!!
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #425 on: March 13, 2008, 04:33:43 PM »
Sharapova eager to build!!!!

Reuters

Maria Sharapova is eager to build on her fast start to the year at this week's Pacific Life Open after a refreshing week's break.

The 20-year-old Russian, who won the first Grand Slam of the year in Australia, is unbeaten in 14 matches this season and has recovered from the viral illness which forced her to pull out of the Dubai Championships two weeks ago.

More significantly, Sharapova is delighted to be injury-free after suffering a spate of ailments in 2007 ranging from hamstring strains to shoulder problems.

"It is so refreshing because basically all of last year, in the Grand Slams and a couple of other tournaments, I was playing with pain-killers before every single match," Sharapova said.

"Even though during the match it might be taking care of the pain, you know at the back of your mind it's not 100 percent and you have to do something about it.

"For much of last year, I couldn't serve and I couldn't hit a backhand volley so I couldn't work on either of those."

Sharapova jetted into Israel for the Fed Cup immediately after her Melbourne Park triumph. After a short break, she then travelled to Doha, where she won her 18th WTA title before having to withdraw from Dubai two days later.

She attributed her viral problems to her globe-trotting tournament schedule but has now put that behind her.

"I basically did nothing for a week," said the blonde Russian. "I went on a little holiday for three or four days with a great group of my friends, special people who I don't get to see very often and I just started training a couple of days ago."

Sharapova was startled to realise she had clocked up just under 50,000 miles this year.

"It's crazy to know you've travelled so much but it's also been pretty rewarding," the world number five said. "Although I've been travelling, I've really been playing great tennis."

Asked to pinpoint why she had begun her 2008 campaign in such sparkling form, she replied: "One of the biggest reasons was that I had a really good off-season with no injuries.

"I had no worries of hurting myself or feeling that I'm going to start the year injured, which has been the case the previous two years. I had that excitement of getting better and working hard.

"If I ever do have a serious injury again, I know I can come back and play even better tennis than I did before because I did it.

"Last year was probably one of the toughest times in my career and I came back playing stronger and being mentally stronger and I just felt great about myself."

The Russian's triumph in Australia was her third Grand Slam.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #426 on: March 13, 2008, 08:14:21 PM »

Wasn't she rumored to have been involved with Roddick for a short time as well? 

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #427 on: March 14, 2008, 01:41:46 AM »

Yeah lots of little bits within the press about that one, but Maria would never confirm anything.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #428 on: March 14, 2008, 01:48:24 AM »

Yeah lots of little bits within the press about that one, but Maria would never confirm anything.

they are probably just good friends. they are both just 20 and world beaters in tennis already. how could they not get along.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #429 on: March 14, 2008, 01:50:25 AM »
ct i dont see anybody stopping Maria. she is on one hell of a roll but its a roll she created. nobody handed it to her.

she earned it by putting in the hard yeards.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #430 on: March 14, 2008, 01:57:02 AM »
ct i dont see anybody stopping Maria. she is on one hell of a roll but its a roll she created. nobody handed it to her.

Exactly right Herc- this is a result of Maria's desire to go to Madrid at the end of last year, when others would have ended their year and looked ahead to 2008, built up her confidence and belief again there, and then put in a huge and very good offseason, and now all the hard times and tough work is paying off with devastating effects  :) I'm so desperate for you to be right and for nobody to stop Maria here. After last season and the heartache, to have 3 titles by the middle of March, a Grand Slam, and be 20-0 would be like the best dream possible, and best of all it would be a reality :grind dance:

Maria will be up for her first match 4th on Stadium 1 today vs Cohen Aloro of France, so should be in between 11pm-12 GMT, 7pm-8pm EST :yahoo: :cheer:

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #431 on: March 14, 2008, 09:53:29 AM »

Exactly right Herc- this is a result of Maria's desire to go to Madrid at the end of last year, when others would have ended their year and looked ahead to 2008, built up her confidence and belief again there, and then put in a huge and very good offseason, and now all the hard times and tough work is paying off with devastating effects  :) I'm so desperate for you to be right and for nobody to stop Maria here. After last season and the heartache, to have 3 titles by the middle of March, a Grand Slam, and be 20-0 would be like the best dream possible, and best of all it would be a reality :grind dance:

Maria will be up for her first match 4th on Stadium 1 today vs Cohen Aloro of France, so should be in between 11pm-12 GMT, 7pm-8pm EST :yahoo: :cheer:

Hate to throw a dampner on your little slice of heaven. But Sharapova still suffers from the same thing she has always suffered from. Lack of variety, and no game other than over powering her opponent. She has benefited from a dip in play of players like Henin, and the Williams sisters. And renewed confidence in her serve.
I don't really see a lot of talent on the horizon, so that bodes well for Sharapova, but if someone does come up and take her down, there's not much she can do about it. If/when her server goes awry, she will struggle. When plan 'A' fails, she has no plan 'B'.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #432 on: March 14, 2008, 10:02:47 AM »

Hate to throw a dampner on your little slice of heaven. But Sharapova still suffers from the same thing she has always suffered from. Lack of variety, and no game other than over powering her opponent. She has benefited from a dip in play of players like Henin, and the Williams sisters. And renewed confidence in her serve.
I don't really see a lot of talent on the horizon, so that bodes well for Sharapova, but if someone does come up and take her down, there's not much she can do about it. If/when her server goes awry, she will struggle. When plan 'A' fails, she has no plan 'B'.
I agree,

Although I commend Sharapova on an amazing start to the year, I still get the sense that she's still very vulnerable against certain opponents. Even though I wouldn't call myself a Henin fan, I still think that Henin didn't play in the form she did at the end of last yer. I'm not taking anything from Sharapova, but she still has a ways to go before she's marked as a "tennis great". But I'm hoping that she plays well in the year. Hell, I'm hoping that all the WTA can get over this hiccup that all the top players seem to be having lately. I'm glad Serena won a title though. I can look forward to her having some more confidence.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #433 on: March 14, 2008, 04:05:57 PM »
All players have a weakness or in some cases a few weaknesses, but its about improving on those weaknesses enough to combat them and play to your strengths. Henin's dip in form, I thinking without being biased has quite a bit to do with the beating she suffered in Melbourne. To be world number 1 and get beaten so badly by one of your rivals is bound to have an effect. Also Maria has no say on how much, how badly the Williams Sisters want it, also players aren't as scared as they were before even gettng out of the locker room with those 2 so have much more belief when playing them now. Maria has added other aspects to her game, she can slice much more than, as well as finishing off at the net much more, all variations that are worth throwing in from time to time. Also the serve and the speed and fitness have been worked on, and that is setting the point up fantastically, making Maria much better around the court and giving her the belief that she can go and maintain a good level even when a match goes over 3 hours now. Lets put this another way... if you see Maria's game being 1 dimensional then fair enough, but consider this if that game has allowed her to have 3 Slams, twice world number 1 and 15 other titles all before 21 then considering the improvements she has made how much more dangerous could she be in 2/3 years time?

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #434 on: March 14, 2008, 05:20:17 PM »
I think Sharapova's power game is fantastic. I've compared her before to Davenport, sans the pounds.
But that to me is more a testiment to how bad the overall talent level of the WTA is, rather than how good Sharapova is.
I've gotten to the point where I just don't care to watch women's tennis that much anymore, and for over 20 years, I've been a "give me tennis, any tennis" type guy.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #435 on: March 15, 2008, 02:53:52 AM »
MARIA INTO INDIAN WELLS 3RD ROUND

Maria scored a comfortable win over qualifier Stephanie Cohen-Aloro of France to advance to the 3rd round at Indian Wells.  Maria won 6-1 6-0 in 58 minutes to increase her winning streak to 15 matches.

In the 1st set Maria got the break of serve to lead 3-1 and then took the next 3 games to take the set 6-1 in 28 minutes.

Maria's good form continued in the 2nd set as she didn't drop a game.

In the 3rd round Maria will play #25 seed Eleni Daniilidou of Greece.  Maria has played Daniilidou 5 times before and leads the series 5-0, and won the last meeting in Los Angeles on hardcourts last year when Daniilidou retired.

Maria's stats from 2nd round
Aces- 2
Double Faults- 2
1st serve percentage- 73%
Points won on 1st serve- 25/32 78%
Points won on 2nd serve- 8/12 67%
Break points won- 5/7 71%
Break points saved- 3/3 100%
Return points won- 33/44 75%
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 02:54:57 AM by ChrisTaylor1987 »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #436 on: March 15, 2008, 01:19:52 PM »
Tomorrow Maria will be up against Daniilidou of Greece, holding a 5-0 head to head advantage over her with 3 of those wins being on hardcourt outdoors. Is Maria going to cruise to a stat all NFL teams love 16-0? maybe give yet another bagel out? or does anybody see Daniilidou causing some damage and giving Maria a real match? Can't wait to get this 3rd round underway :grind dance:

This was post number 10,000 so it just had to be about the person I've sent down more posts about than anything else  :)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #437 on: March 15, 2008, 05:05:31 PM »
INTERVIEWS
March 14, 2008

M. SHARAPOVA/S. Cohen Aoro

6 1, 6 0

An interview with:

MARIA SHARAPOVA

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How nervous were you, Maria?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Nervous?

Q. Yeah.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Why?

Q. That's a crazy question. I'm not going to ask you a straight question.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Crazy question. I wasn't nervous at all, no. Just no.

Q. Not the tiniest little bit?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Not really, no. You mean because of the wind, or...

Q. No, just because it's your first match here. Tennis match, crowd's there.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, I didn't really feel nervous. I've been playing good enough tennis to not be nervous before my first round. Obviously you never know what kind of tennis you're going to produce in these kind of conditions.
But, you know, I think against an opponent that didn't give me much rhythm, I think I handled it pretty well.

Q. You'll be happy to know it's pretty calm out there now.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'm sure. It's been great the last week, and then I woke up this morning and it's windy all of a sudden. Shocking.

Q. Thinking about your winning streak at all, this nice little streak you have starting the year?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: You know, when I begin a tournament it's like I'm starting from scratch. At the end of the day, numbers are all very relative. You know, I just have to focus on my next match and next round. You know, I don't worry about records too much, no.

Q. There was one point in the match I don't know if you noticed but in the second set you hit a ball and you thought it might have been good and you challenged it. I don't know if you could see through the umpire's chair, but both your father and Michael went like this, it was out, and you still challenged it. Did you see them?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I looked their way, and I did see yeah I don't know if that's like challenge or if it's out. But the umpire, you know, sometimes I usually like to ask the umpire, you know, because if they say it was really close, then, you know, you usually challenge it. But she didn't really give me a very confident answer that it was way long, so that's why I challenged it. It was one of those throw away challenges that, you know, 50 percent of us use.

Q. Have you thought about the Olympics, about playing in them?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, absolutely.

Q. Do you plan on playing? Because Andy pulled out of it because he thought it was too close to the US Open for him. What are your thoughts about it? And can you excel at both the Open and the Olympics since it's so close together?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: The Olympics comes around only once every four years, and the US Open is there every single year. I don't know if he's played the Olympics before. But, you know, obviously I never have, and it's been a dream of mine ever since I was a little girl.
So it's been one of my priorities for a very long time. You know, I'm privileged to be part of so many athletes. You know, I really don't know what to expect, because usually you play the same events every single year. You go from tournament to tournament.
I think this will be just completely new and different, and usually you have sort of an idea of what things are going to be like, but I'm really clueless. I'm just one of the things I'm really looking forward to is the opening ceremony and walking with all the athletes and, you know, athletes from my country, yeah, in front of thousands of people.

Q. Who there would you like to meet you haven't had the chance to meet before?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'd love well, I don't know about meeting, but I'd actually love to watch gymnastics or rhythmic gymnastics, because when I was younger I wanted to be a rhythmic gymnast. I don't know if the weeks are the same. What else do I want to watch?

Q. You're intrigued by the ribbon, or which part of rhythmic gymnastics.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Just the art. In Russia, rhythmic gymnastics and figurer skating is an art form, and I was always intrigued by that. I actually did gymnastics for a couple of years when I was younger, about nine or ten. It was part of my fitness regime.
But I don't know. I just love, you know, I love ribbons. I used to be like in my garage I used to put rollerblades on and that used to be like my figure skates. I used to make a fake ribbon and I'd be rolling around my garage. I'd have my parents pull the car out and have one of those old radios that I'd turn on, one of those really geeky stations, and I'd just be roller blading and waiving the ribbon. I thought I was in the Olympics.

Q. After winning the Australian and you're a contender for a golden slam with the Olympics, have you ever even let yourself think about that yet?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'm far away from that. You know, I've only won one Grand Slam this year and I've got many more tournaments three more Grand Slams and the Olympics to go.
You know, as I said, I want to use these tournaments as good preparation for the Grand Slams, which are obviously the biggest tournaments of the year, and the Olympics including.
But you never know what will happen. It will be great if I can, but realistically it's pretty difficult.

Q. Are you a fan of Dancing With the Stars?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, I actually don't watch it. I don't watch TV very often. Just, I usually the only thing I watch usually is the NBA or Sports Center because I hang out with the guys all the time, my team. They're always in sports. So I watch the NBA and hockey a lot.

Q. Do you have any thoughts about them playing an NBA game at this stadium?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I heard about that the other day. I think that's awesome, two great teams. That's in October, I think?

Q. Yeah.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Where are we in October? Maybe I can join.

Q. Someone's been getting a lot of mileage about doing imitations of you. Do you think you're going to do imitations of him some day?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Of Novak?

Q. Yeah.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Absolutely not. I'd hurt my back doing his imitation, honestly.

Q. That many times?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yes. I'm a little fragile when it comes to that.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #438 on: March 16, 2008, 02:04:41 AM »
MARIA VS DANIILIDOU

Maria will play her 2nd match at Indian Wells on Sunday afternoon.  Maria will face her 1st seeded player of the event: #25 seed Eleni Daniilidou of Greece.  Maria leads Daniilidou 5-0 in the head-to-head and 4 of those matches were played on hardcourts, 3 outdoor, 1 indoor and won all in straight sets.

This match is the 3rd match to be played on Stadium and the schedule of play begins at 11.00 Pacific time (14.00ET and 18.00GMT).

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #439 on: March 16, 2008, 02:15:50 AM »
MARIA VS DANIILIDOU

Maria will play her 2nd match at Indian Wells on Sunday afternoon.  Maria will face her 1st seeded player of the event: #25 seed Eleni Daniilidou of Greece.  Maria leads Daniilidou 5-0 in the head-to-head and 4 of those matches were played on hardcourts, 3 outdoor, 1 indoor and won all in straight sets.

This match is the 3rd match to be played on Stadium and the schedule of play begins at 11.00 Pacific time (14.00ET and 18.00GMT).

one bagel at least is now guaranteed in all her matches. you can count on it.