Author Topic: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!  (Read 208590 times)

Offline SerenaVeeFan

• Tennis Player
Re: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!
« Reply #4900 on: May 26, 2011, 02:32:14 PM »
Great images.. And good win for Masha today.  :)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #4901 on: May 26, 2011, 02:33:14 PM »
Great images.. And good win for Masha today.  :)

Yeah what a terrific comeback from Maria today :) This could be the springboard to a whole lot more here :shakey: :cheer: :cheer:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4902 on: May 27, 2011, 01:38:18 PM »
Maria plays her 3rd round match tomorrow and for the 3rd straight time will do so on the Chatrier Court:

Philippe Chatrier Court- 11am

Women's Singles - 3rd Round
Roberta Vinci(ITA)[30]   vs.     Victoria Azarenka :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: (BLR)[4]
Men's Singles - 3rd Round
Rafael Nadal(ESP)[1]   vs.     Antonio Veic(CRO)
Men's Singles - 3rd Round
Mardy Fish(USA)[10]   vs.     Gilles Simon(FRA)[18]
Women's Singles - 3rd Round
Maria Sharapova :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: (RUS)[7]   vs.     Yung-Jan Chan(TPE)

GO GO GO MARIA!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4903 on: May 27, 2011, 03:41:38 PM »
Ok before I sign off here for about 10 days to go away and watch the tennis in the States like a lot of you guys I may not be around here for a while but I'll be with and watching all the best matches but especially every Maria and Victoria match going forward hopefully the next 8 days. So catch you guys soon and:

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #4904 on: May 30, 2011, 12:09:32 AM »
If Maria wins the French; I think she will finish winning all the Grand Slams.  I know she won the U.S. Open; Wimbledom, Austrialian Open previously.   She will in a special class of tennis players if that happens.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4905 on: June 06, 2011, 04:05:46 AM »
Li Na :)>>>> :)>>>> :)>>>>

She ruined my dreams that tournament :( :( :( I was sooooo convinced this was going to be Maria's Career Slam or Victoria's first Slam :( :( :(

I still can't believe Li Na is the French Open Champion :Confused: :Confused:

Maria was fantastic against Petkovic and really layed it down to her that she was having none of that Melbourne stuff again from earlier this year :)>>>> the match before vs Radwanska it was a but sticky from Maria but always is against Radwanska but Maria fought through. But then vs Li Na when I saw the wind on the day I feared the worst andLi played great whereas Maria just couldn't take her chances and her 2nd serve struggled badly in the wind. So close to the Career Slam yet so far away :( :(

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4906 on: June 08, 2011, 02:30:08 PM »
Very much as I expected it would be come the summer the schedule for Maria :)

Hardcourt Schedule

Maria will play three tournaments in preparation for the final Grand Slam of the year at the US Open.

Maria will start her campaign at the Bank of the West Classic in Stanford which begins on 25th July.  Maria has played Stanford twice and her best result was reaching the final last year.

The next event for Maria will be the Rogers Cup in Toronto beginning on 8th August.  This will be Maria's 4th appearance at this tournament and Maria's best result was reaching the final in 2009.

The following week, Maria will play the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati in her final event before the US Open.  Last year Maria made her debut appearance and reached the final.

The US Open will begin on 29th August.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4907 on: June 15, 2011, 12:34:14 PM »
It feels pretty awesome to be going into a Grand Slam, especially Wimbledon with my 2 girls seeded in the top 5 :shakey: :cloud 9: Maria is the 5th seed, Victoria is 1 higher as the 4th seed :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4908 on: June 17, 2011, 02:19:49 PM »
Very strange how they seemingly switched the Quarters around in both draws after they had officially announced differently on the Wimbledon website on the live updates!!

So Maria is the 5th seed heading into Wimbledon this year then and has this in front of her:

Round 1- Chakvetadze
Round 2- Kerber/Robson
Round 3- Safarova(31)
Round 4- Stosur(10)/Peng(20)
Quarter Finals- Wozniacki(1)/Goerges(16)
Semi Finals- Li Na(3)/Serena(7)
Final- Zvonareva(2)/Victoria(4)/Kvitova(8)/Venus(23)

Offline Avatar

• Tennis God
« Reply #4909 on: June 17, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »
do we know what maria's wearing for wimbledon yet, chris??

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4910 on: June 18, 2011, 02:35:48 AM »
do we know what maria's wearing for wimbledon yet, chris??

Yeah I'll put some pics up Avatar :) Very classy this will look on Maria, can't wait to see her walk out onto court on Tuesday :)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4911 on: June 18, 2011, 03:36:45 PM »
Some pictures of Maria today practicing at Wimbledon :)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4912 on: June 18, 2011, 03:37:14 PM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4913 on: June 18, 2011, 03:37:41 PM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4914 on: June 18, 2011, 03:38:12 PM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4915 on: June 18, 2011, 03:39:14 PM »
Maria Sharapova eyes 2nd Wimbledon championship

WIMBLEDON, England (AP)—For all that Maria Sharapova already has accomplished in tennis, a Grand Slam title now would be more gratifying than those from the past.

“If I do achieve that—if it’s here, if it’s somewhere else—I think it would be my biggest achievement in my career,” she said Saturday at Wimbledon, where play begins Monday.

Sharapova’s most recent major title came at the Australian Open in January 2008. In October of that year, she needed surgery on her right, racket-swinging shoulder—a rather important part of a tennis player’s body, it seems safe to say—and she was sidelined for the better part of 10 months.

“I’ve said it since I came back from my injury. I said that if I could win another Grand Slam, it would mean more than the previous ones that I have. … All of a sudden, one day, it was kind of taken away from you,” Sharapova said.

“You kind of have to step back and look at things from a different angle,” she said of her time away from the game. “And then when you get back there, you basically start from zero. You try to get yourself to a level where you can compete with the top players, beating them day in, day out. Yeah, it’s a long process.”

She won her first Grand Slam championship at the All England Club in 2004, when she was all of 17. Her second came two years later at the U.S. Open, followed by her victory in Australia.

Sharapova then went more than three years without making it back to the semifinals at any major tournament until getting that far at the French Open this month.

That proved to her—and to everyone else—that Sharapova, who briefly was No. 1 in the WTA rankings, is still capable of contending for tennis’ top prizes.

She’s seeded fifth at Wimbledon, and will play 2007 U.S. Open semifinalist Anna Chakvetadze of Russia in the first round.

“At the end of the day, you really just do this for yourself,” Sharapova said. “It’s really about your commitment and your drive; whether you want it or not. You can have as many positive words, and it’s really helpful and beneficial, but if you wake up and you don’t want it, then you’re never going to achieve anything.”

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4916 on: June 18, 2011, 03:41:08 PM »
Maria Sharapova eyes 2nd Wimbledon championship

WIMBLEDON, England (AP)—For all that Maria Sharapova already has accomplished in tennis, a Grand Slam title now would be more gratifying than those from the past.

“If I do achieve that—if it’s here, if it’s somewhere else—I think it would be my biggest achievement in my career,” she said Saturday at Wimbledon, where play begins Monday.

Sharapova’s most recent major title came at the Australian Open in January 2008. In October of that year, she needed surgery on her right, racket-swinging shoulder—a rather important part of a tennis player’s body, it seems safe to say—and she was sidelined for the better part of 10 months.

“I’ve said it since I came back from my injury. I said that if I could win another Grand Slam, it would mean more than the previous ones that I have. … All of a sudden, one day, it was kind of taken away from you,” Sharapova said.

“You kind of have to step back and look at things from a different angle,” she said of her time away from the game. “And then when you get back there, you basically start from zero. You try to get yourself to a level where you can compete with the top players, beating them day in, day out. Yeah, it’s a long process.”

She won her first Grand Slam championship at the All England Club in 2004, when she was all of 17. Her second came two years later at the U.S. Open, followed by her victory in Australia.

Sharapova then went more than three years without making it back to the semifinals at any major tournament until getting that far at the French Open this month.

That proved to her—and to everyone else—that Sharapova, who briefly was No. 1 in the WTA rankings, is still capable of contending for tennis’ top prizes.

She’s seeded fifth at Wimbledon, and will play 2007 U.S. Open semifinalist Anna Chakvetadze of Russia in the first round.

“At the end of the day, you really just do this for yourself,” Sharapova said. “It’s really about your commitment and your drive; whether you want it or not. You can have as many positive words, and it’s really helpful and beneficial, but if you wake up and you don’t want it, then you’re never going to achieve anything.”

COME ON, MOM! French Open champion Li Na might need to explain to her family how significant it is to win a Grand Slam tournament.

After becoming the first Chinese player to win a major singles title two weeks ago, Li received a text message from her mother. A congratulatory note? Nope. Mom just wanted to know when her daughter would get a chance to come home.

“I say, ‘After Wimbledon.’ And then she never (wrote) me back again, so … ,” Li said Saturday.

Li added that she thinks her mother knows she won the French Open, but clarified: “I don’t know if even she (knows) how big (the) tournament is. I didn’t ask her.”

Ask other players on the women’s tour, though, and they’ll be able to answer just fine.

Top-ranked Caroline Wozniacki, still searching for her first Grand Slam championship, said Li’s victory is good for the sport.

“I’m sure that a lot of young girls and boys in China now also want to play tennis because they want to play like Li Na,” Wozniacki said. “It’s great for tennis that we can have it even bigger as a sport than it is now.”

KING’S 50th: Billie Jean King will be at Wimbledon for the 50th consecutive year as player or spectator. The 67-year-old King owns a total of 20 Wimbledon titles, a record she shares with Martina Navratilova.

“It feels like my second home,” said King, who won six singles, 10 doubles and four mixed doubles championships at the All England Club.

“I loved that Centre Court the first time I went out there,” she added. “It’s lovely. The people are nice.”

King earned her first Wimbledon title in 1961 at age 17, teaming with 18-year-old Karen Hantze. King’s last trophy at the All England Club came in doubles in 1979—paired with Navratilova.

Last year, on Court 16, King hit her first tennis balls after having double-knee replacement surgery.

“I hit about two or three and then got off the court, because I didn’t have all white on, and I really shouldn’t have been out there,” King said. “But I did it.”

Offline Avatar

• Tennis God
« Reply #4917 on: June 18, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »
her outfit is alright, but my idea of wearing a wedding dress is just so much better.  :)) lol

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4918 on: June 18, 2011, 04:20:40 PM »
her outfit is alright, but my idea of wearing a wedding dress is just so much better.  :)) lol

:rofl_2: Maria wants to save that for the real day itself :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4919 on: June 20, 2011, 02:52:56 PM »
Well this sucks! Day 1 and I'm getting annoyed with the tournament and the craphouse weather as tomorrow now Maria hasn't got a set court yet, its just a not before 5pm. That's not all bad if its a full days play and Fed, Djoko and Serena get quick wins as then Maria can get onto Centre Court to open her campaign against Chakvetadze :)