Author Topic: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!  (Read 208245 times)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
Re: The Maria Sharapova thread- Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2007, 07:35:30 PM »
2006 monte carlo and 2006 rome were epic. unfortunately the atp idiots have done away with best of 5 sets foremat for the finals at masters series events so say goodbye to any more epic 5 set battles at masters series events. i think it was a huge mistake/miscalculation. those 5 set finals also provide a great stepping stone for slam finals in addition to providing some memorable matches that stand as major, epic battles.

I couldn't agree with you more.

i am still highly pissed off about that decision. recently nadal has also made some unfavorable remarks about that decision. it would have been better to shorten the tour and repackage some of the marquee events like yec and the davis cup.

why mess with proven success. and they also throw records comparisons out of the window with this.

The least they could do is have 5 setters starting at the quarters.

And that's another reason I don't want the 5th GS. It screws up the history and the records among other reasons.

you got it swish. they have taken away something so integral to the game by doing away with 5 set finals at masters series events. we have actually had 5 and 6 hour monster battles at foro italico for example that will forever be known as epic battles in tennis history.

we now will not have the luxury of adequate comparisons. also now if somebody is up a set and break, people essentially start filing out. the match is over.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2007, 08:00:48 PM »
2006 monte carlo and 2006 rome were epic. unfortunately the atp idiots have done away with best of 5 sets foremat for the finals at masters series events so say goodbye to any more epic 5 set battles at masters series events. i think it was a huge mistake/miscalculation. those 5 set finals also provide a great stepping stone for slam finals in addition to providing some memorable matches that stand as major, epic battles.

I couldn't agree with you more.

i am still highly pissed off about that decision. recently nadal has also made some unfavorable remarks about that decision. it would have been better to shorten the tour and repackage some of the marquee events like yec and the davis cup.

why mess with proven success. and they also throw records comparisons out of the window with this.

The least they could do is have 5 setters starting at the quarters.

And that's another reason I don't want the 5th GS. It screws up the history and the records among other reasons.

you got it swish. they have taken away something so integral to the game by doing away with 5 set finals at masters series events. we have actually had 5 and 6 hour monster battles at foro italico for example that will forever be known as epic battles in tennis history.

we now will not have the luxury of adequate comparisons. also now if somebody is up a set and break, people essentially start filing out. the match is over.

I'm really irritated about the whole thing. I really like those 5 setters, it adds a dimension of endurance and will to win, that's a big loss in my opinion. Under the right circumstances a final could be over in just over an hour.  :mad1:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2007, 03:36:01 AM »
yeah it such a shame the 5 set finals have gone now but the reason the did it was to get all the top players palying nearly all the Masters Series events and to stop all the pull outs for injuries and tiredness. it certainly worked this year as just look at the amount of Masters Series events Fed and Rafa played- all of them as did the majority of players. So its good in that respect but a shame that we cant get those classic 5 set finals like we had within the last few years.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2007, 03:38:49 AM »
yeah it such a shame the 5 set finals have gone now but the reason the did it was to get all the top players palying nearly all the Masters Series events and to stop all the pull outs for injuries and tiredness. it certainly worked this year as just look at the amount of Masters Series events Fed and Rafa played- all of them as did the majority of players. So its good in that respect but a shame that we cant get those classic 5 set finals like we had within the last few years.

its a raw deal for the sport chris. i dont like it and neither does the tennis watching world. hope they wise up one day and change it back.

what they really need to do is shorten the schedule a little.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2007, 05:13:07 AM »

its a raw deal for the sport chris. i dont like it and neither does the tennis watching world. hope they wise up one day and change it back.

thats very true Herc and the Tours are hoping to do that by around 2 or 3 weeks eventually. i know the WTA have plans for it to be the case by around 2010. the ATP Tour may be a year or 2 later.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2007, 05:22:42 AM »

I'd like to see this, too. 5 set finals, fewer tournaments, and a shorter schedule.
But, if money is involved, it might be too much to hope for.  :(

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2007, 02:10:51 PM »

I'd like to see this, too. 5 set finals, fewer tournaments, and a shorter schedule.

its the only sport where the season pretty much never ends. they basically get 2 weeks off after the masters cup before they have to start training for 2008 and the next slam.

shortening the season is where the focus needs to be. destroying the possibility of epic/memorable matches at masters series events is a quick fix that is actually hurts the sport.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2007, 02:18:26 PM »

its the only sport where the season pretty much never ends. they basically get 2 weeks off after the masters cup before they have to start training for 2008 and the next slam.

shortening the season is where the focus needs to be. destroying the possibility of epic/memorable matches at masters series events is a quick fix that is actually hurts the sport.

Around about 2010-2011 onwards we can expect a slightly shortened season but only by 2-3 weeks at most really. It's tough on the players because hardly any other sport do players get at most just a 2 week break all year.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2007, 02:25:37 AM »
Maria's Monthly Doodle
This is something Maria does every few weeks or so on her website so i thought I'd begin to post it in her thread on this forum as well. As you'll see she tells us about things happening in her life, her tennis training and all things like that. I always find it very interesting as you'd expect so thought I'd share it with you.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Just wanted to give you guys an update on what's been going on in the last couple of weeks. Apart from all the training which I will get to later, this is that time of year when you have to do all those boring appointments that you never have time for. First is the trip to the dentist for a cleaning, where you pray to God that you don't have any cavities ( which is usually followed by a trip to Baskin Robbins for a scoop of chocolate chip). Then it's the trip to get foot casted for new orthodics....meanwhile hope your arch is still the same and your feet are not getting deteriated by being in tennis shoes half of your life. That's followed by a trip to the doctors for a physical and a blood test to make sure your insides are healthy. I also have to go to the DMV to renew my drivers license one of these days. So you see, as you add these things up it becomes one big nightmare.

These last couple weeks have been so busy....from all the training where Michael and the other boys beat up on me on the court to the workouts in the gym or the sand, it seems like vacation time never existed and is nowhere close to be seen.

I attended Andy's charity event last weekend which was for a great cause and went to a couple sporting events ....a Miami heat game and hockey game in Tampa....I am becoming one of the guys with all this time around the boys....sportscenter has become the first thing I watch when I wake up.

And on top of everything it is Christmas time, and I can't tell you how much I love this time of year. From spending hours at the card store ( I'm obsessed with beautiful stationary) to picking out the Christmas tree, I'm a true holiday fan! After I'm done with my training day, I turn on my Brazilian music, lock myself up in my room and become one of Santa's helpers, which usually means making such a mess that it takes me just as much time to clean up. I even helped Michael shop for gifts which led to one entertaining trip. He told a jewelry lady that it was a conspiracy that a bracelet could possibly cost 1,500$.....to which she said 'it's diamonds sir'. When I attempted to pick out a certain purse, he said that's a purse you would take to space...because it was shiny silver. In the end he asked the valet guy if there's an emergency room around the area because he feels sick from shopping for 2 hours. I highly recommend shopping alone!

So now it's about a week till I go back on the road again.....so until then I hope everyone has a good Holiday season....and hopefully less painful shopping trips than I had. Xx Maria

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2007, 02:54:09 AM »
Maria's Monthly Doodle
This is something Maria does every few weeks or so on her website so i thought I'd begin to post it in her thread on this forum as well. As you'll see she tells us about things happening in her life, her tennis training and all things like that. I always find it very interesting as you'd expect so thought I'd share it with you.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Just wanted to give you guys an update on what's been going on in the last couple of weeks. Apart from all the training which I will get to later, this is that time of year when you have to do all those boring appointments that you never have time for. First is the trip to the dentist for a cleaning, where you pray to God that you don't have any cavities ( which is usually followed by a trip to Baskin Robbins for a scoop of chocolate chip). Then it's the trip to get foot casted for new orthodics....meanwhile hope your arch is still the same and your feet are not getting deteriated by being in tennis shoes half of your life. That's followed by a trip to the doctors for a physical and a blood test to make sure your insides are healthy. I also have to go to the DMV to renew my drivers license one of these days. So you see, as you add these things up it becomes one big nightmare.

These last couple weeks have been so busy....from all the training where Michael and the other boys beat up on me on the court to the workouts in the gym or the sand, it seems like vacation time never existed and is nowhere close to be seen.

I attended Andy's charity event last weekend which was for a great cause and went to a couple sporting events ....a Miami heat game and hockey game in Tampa....I am becoming one of the guys with all this time around the boys....sportscenter has become the first thing I watch when I wake up.

And on top of everything it is Christmas time, and I can't tell you how much I love this time of year. From spending hours at the card store ( I'm obsessed with beautiful stationary) to picking out the Christmas tree, I'm a true holiday fan! After I'm done with my training day, I turn on my Brazilian music, lock myself up in my room and become one of Santa's helpers, which usually means making such a mess that it takes me just as much time to clean up. I even helped Michael shop for gifts which led to one entertaining trip. He told a jewelry lady that it was a conspiracy that a bracelet could possibly cost 1,500$.....to which she said 'it's diamonds sir'. When I attempted to pick out a certain purse, he said that's a purse you would take to space...because it was shiny silver. In the end he asked the valet guy if there's an emergency room around the area because he feels sick from shopping for 2 hours. I highly recommend shopping alone!

So now it's about a week till I go back on the road again.....so until then I hope everyone has a good Holiday season....and hopefully less painful shopping trips than I had. Xx Maria

way to keep everybody informed about maria and women`s tennis in general chris. keep the thread going. women`s tennis is in for some exciting times and soon you will have plenty of people who will want to talk about wta. we are now just 10 days away from when the tournament activity starts back up around the world.

january should see an absolute explosion of this forum.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2007, 02:59:49 AM »
Maria's Monthly Doodle

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

way to keep everybody informed about maria and women`s tennis in general chris. keep the thread going. women`s tennis is in for some exciting times and soon you will have plenty of people who will want to talk about wta. we are now just 10 days away from when the tournament activity starts back up around the world.

Yeah Herc i think im going to post all my Maria's doodles and lots of articles from the other top players as well so it can seem like we're getting closer to some of the WTA players and getting to know them a little more away from the court. I think thats a great way to get to know the players for who they really are and find out what they like and don't like in real life. We're for sure going to have a huge explosion on this forum come January, almost down to single figures (in terms of days) until the season is underway  :)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2007, 05:44:58 AM »
only 9 days !!!!!!!  :)

Former world number one Maria Sharapova will make her debut in Singapore when she takes on compatriot Anna Chakvetadze in an exhibition match.

Sharapova, who has won two grand slam titles, will play the world number six on December 30 at the Singapore Indoor Stadium, organisers have revealed.

The 20-year-old was runner-up in the season-ending WTA tour championship in Madrid after making a top-five finish in the tour rankings for the fourth consecutive year.

The match will be a repeat of this year's Australian Open quarter-finals, when Sharapova beat Chakvetadze in straight sets en-route to the final, where she lost to Serena Williams.

Chakvetadze later reached the semi-finals of this year's US Open in New York.

Maria to win 2008 Australian Open!   :cool:
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2007, 05:50:58 AM »

Former world number one Maria Sharapova will make her debut in Singapore when she takes on compatriot Anna Chakvetadze in an exhibition match.

Sharapova, who has won two grand slam titles, will play the world number six on December 30 at the Singapore Indoor Stadium, organisers have revealed.

The 20-year-old was runner-up in the season-ending WTA tour championship in Madrid after making a top-five finish in the tour rankings for the fourth consecutive year.

The match will be a repeat of this year's Australian Open quarter-finals, when Sharapova beat Chakvetadze in straight sets en-route to the final, where she lost to Serena Williams.

Been looking forward to this match for about 5 weeks now, even though it is only an exhibition, but its Maria's first match of the new season and I just can't wait. I'm really hoping Maria comes through this match in Singapore and then in Hong Kong at the JBGroup Classic injury free and fully confident in her shoulder and the rest of her game, and hit the ground in Melbourne running. If your last sentence is right Conchita I'll be the happiest person on the planet- Officially  :yahoo:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2007, 06:33:58 AM »

Been looking forward to this match for about 5 weeks now, even though it is only an exhibition, but its Maria's first match of the new season and I just can't wait. I'm really hoping Maria comes through this match in Singapore and then in Hong Kong at the JBGroup Classic injury free and fully confident in her shoulder and the rest of her game, and hit the ground in Melbourne running. If your last sentence is right Conchita I'll be the happiest person on the planet- Officially  :yahoo:

Flinders Park 2008

Final: Sharapova and Henin (YEC REVENGE!)

Semifinalists: Venus Williams and Serena Williams.

Quaterfinalists: Jankovic, Ivanovic, Stepanekova, Mauresmo

4th Round or less: Kutznetsova, Chakvetadze, Hantuchova, Bartoli, Dementieva, Golovin, Schyder, Szavay, Davenport.

Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2007, 12:38:54 PM »

Flinders Park 2008

Final: Sharapova and Henin (YEC REVENGE!)

Semifinalists: Venus Williams and Serena Williams.

Quaterfinalists: Jankovic, Ivanovic, Stepanekova, Mauresmo

4th Round or less: Kutznetsova, Chakvetadze, Hantuchova, Bartoli, Dementieva, Golovin, Schyder, Szavay, Davenport.

It'll be very interesting to see how close you come with those predictions Conchita  :) Lets just say if you pick the winner right I'll say you've picked them very well and successfully whatever else happens to the rest of your predictions  :))

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2007, 12:40:31 PM »
Maria's Monthly Doodle

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Yeah Herc i think im going to post all my Maria's doodles and lots of articles from the other top players as well so it can seem like we're getting closer to some of the WTA players and getting to know them a little more away from the court. I think thats a great way to get to know the players for who they really are and find out what they like and don't like in real life. We're for sure going to have a huge explosion on this forum come January, almost down to single figures (in terms of days) until the season is underway  :)

i see people are liking this thread already chris. keep it going.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2007, 12:49:02 PM »
Maria's Monthly Doodle

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

You know me Herc, I'll certainly do my best.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2007, 12:53:09 PM »
Maria's Monthly Doodle

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

this is just curiosity at work but with $25 mill/year in endorsement income, she can probably have homes everywhere. does she spend much time in south florida?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 02:43:29 PM by hercules »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2007, 02:01:25 PM »
Maria's Monthly Doodle

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

this is just curiosity at work but with $25 mill/year in endorsement income, she can probably does have homes everywhere. does she spend much time in south florida?

When not travelling on the Tour Maria has 2 realy big homes in America, one in Bradenton Florida and one in California, that she only bought a year or so ago. Generally Maria will spend most of her free time in Florida but does stay in her California home for a few weeks at least of each year. But yeah when not on the Tour Maria spends more time in Bradenton Florida than anywhere else.

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2007, 03:46:44 PM »
I like Maria because I like her enthusiasm. There is no doubt in your mind that she wants to win, I really love that about her. And, since I've been known to appreciate the enthusiasm of fistpumps (if they aren't directed at the other player), Maria does a great "feminine" fistpump and facial expressions during play that are unmatched by any other player... she wants to win!  :))