Author Topic: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!  (Read 192075 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: The Maria Sharapova thread- Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2007, 03:50:30 PM »
I like Maria because I like her enthusiasm. There is no doubt in your mind that she wants to win, I really love that about her. And, since I've been known to appreciate the enthusiasm of fistpumps (if they aren't directed at the other player), Maria does a great "feminine" fistpump and facial expressions during play that are unmatched by any other player... she wants to win!  :))

Spot on yellowball! Maria leaves everything she has out on court, that's something you've got to love, and any player that does that should get a lot of appreciation and can't be asked to do a whole lot more  :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2007, 03:51:25 PM »
I like Maria because I like her enthusiasm. There is no doubt in your mind that she wants to win, I really love that about her. And, since I've been known to appreciate the enthusiasm of fistpumps (if they aren't directed at the other player), Maria does a great "feminine" fistpump and facial expressions during play that are unmatched by any other player... she wants to win!  :))

businesses like her charisma, fight, and her looks. that is why she takes home $25 mill/year in endorsement income.

took in around $23 mill when she was 18 which is a staggering amount for somebody that young.

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2007, 09:59:18 PM »

Spot on yellowball! Maria leaves everything she has out on court, that's something you've got to love, and any player that does that should get a lot of appreciation and can't be asked to do a whole lot more  :)

There are some things I DON'T like about her. For instance, it appears she wears absolutely no makeup when she's playing. From the shots I've seen, there's no eyeliner, mascara, foundation -- nothing! That's not fair! No one should be that naturally pretty.  ;-()

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2007, 01:35:54 AM »

There are some things I DON'T like about her. For instance, it appears she wears absolutely no makeup when she's playing. From the shots I've seen, there's no eyeliner, mascara, foundation -- nothing! That's not fair! No one should be that naturally pretty.  ;-()

Yeah Maria hardly ever decides to wear makeup when she's playing, she's very lucky to be able to do that because not many can get away with it and look so pretty still. Too bad for you yellowball  :))

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2007, 01:44:15 AM »

businesses like her charisma, fight, and her looks. that is why she takes home $25 mill/year in endorsement income.

took in around $23 mill when she was 18 which is a staggering amount for somebody that young.

And each year so far Herc its just going up that little bit more, with an extra sponsorship deal or things like that. 18 and to be earning $23million for the year. How amazing and now Maria gets around $25million for the year, just think that's $500,000 per week, what a life that sets her up for. Suppose when you've got Maria's image and become a Wimbledon Champion at 17 you have to expect these sort of amazing contracts  :)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2007, 02:12:12 AM »

And each year so far Herc its just going up that little bit more, with an extra sponsorship deal or things like that. 18 and to be earning $23million for the year. How amazing and now Maria gets around $25million for the year, just think that's $500,000 per week, what a life that sets her up for. Suppose when you've got Maria's image and become a Wimbledon Champion at 17 you have to expect these sort of amazing contracts  :)

its just incredible chris. i would have to live in a castle or something with that kind of money.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2007, 02:21:21 AM »

its just incredible chris. i would have to live in a castle or something with that kind of money.

A castle would be amazing I think Herc, I'd probably prefer some really massive estate house in the country though, with loads of land. You can see why Maria has 2 huge and beautiful homes in Florida and California. Maria's making more in a week than many of us will earn in 5-10 years. That's just hard to take  :)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2007, 02:39:03 AM »

A castle would be amazing I think Herc, I'd probably prefer some really massive estate house in the country though, with loads of land. You can see why Maria has 2 huge and beautiful homes in Florida and California. Maria's making more in a week than many of us will earn in 5-10 years. That's just hard to take  :)

her stock is going to continue to rise. 2 more slams and her endorsement income will  be north of $35 mill. its over $25 mill now.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2007, 02:49:51 AM »

her stock is going to continue to rise. 2 more slams and her endorsement income will  be north of $35 mill. its over $25 mill now.

Too right Herc, each year the deals get bigger and she picks up an extra deal or 2 with an extra sponsor somewhere along the line. As you say another Slam or 2 will also but that figure up to maybe the $30-$35 million mark.

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2007, 09:19:02 AM »
Maria's on Ellen! (Brits get Ellen Degeneris show?) She's looking gorgeous. She TOWERS over Ellen. She didn't see her mom for 2 years when she came to the States to train, just she and her dad came over, neither spoke English. She said she's been training every day for off season 5 hrs a day, plus fitness, footwork, etc.  They gave Canon cameras to everyone in the audience.

She and Ellen played ping-pong and Ellen "grunted" every time she hit the ball! Maria said "I'm the one that's supposed to grunt." Ellen said, "That's just to throw the other player off" and Maria said "Oh, don't say that!"

Sweet, happy, chatty. That's about it. There will for sure, at some point, be a youtube of the interview later.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 09:30:31 AM by yellowball »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2007, 09:35:09 AM »
Maria's on Ellen! She's looking gorgeous. She TOWERS over Ellen. She didn't see her mom for 2 years when she came to the States to train, just she and her dad came over, neither spoke English. She said she's been training every day for off season 5 hrs a day, plus fitness, footwork, etc.

Sweet, happy, chatty. If she says anything else interesting, I'll report. There will for sure, at some point, be a youtube of the interview later.

This has been on Maria's website about Maria apperaing on the show for about the last week or so but knew I couldn't see it with it only being on in the States, so thanks very much Yellowball for the things that have been discussed on the show so far, really glad to hear again that Maria's been training very hard and long all of season and that gives me even more hope for 2008 and the Australian Open. Also that's always one of the reasons why I think Maria has grown up so tough, not seeing her mother for 2 years when she was just 8 and the hard times she had all on her own at the tennis academy, she's certainly had to work for what she's got and is certainly feeling the results of that now! Anymore interesting things from the chat would be hugely appreciated yellowball  :) and I hope you are right and that it gets onto Youtube or somewhere like that within the next few days.

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2007, 10:28:55 AM »
Maria's on Ellen! She's looking gorgeous. She TOWERS over Ellen. She didn't see her mom for 2 years when she came to the States to train, just she and her dad came over, neither spoke English. She said she's been training every day for off season 5 hrs a day, plus fitness, footwork, etc.

Sweet, happy, chatty. If she says anything else interesting, I'll report. There will for sure, at some point, be a youtube of the interview later.

This has been on Maria's website about Maria apperaing on the show for about the last week or so but knew I couldn't see it with it only being on in the States, so thanks very much Yellowball for the things that have been discussed on the show so far, really glad to hear again that Maria's been training very hard and long all of season and that gives me even more hope for 2008 and the Australian Open. Also that's always one of the reasons why I think Maria has grown up so tough, not seeing her mother for 2 years when she was just 8 and the hard times she had all on her own at the tennis academy, she's certainly had to work for what she's got and is certainly feeling the results of that now! Anymore interesting things from the chat would be hugely appreciated yellowball  :) and I hope you are right and that it gets onto Youtube or somewhere like that within the next few days.

She's effervescent. She's bubbles and her bubbles go all over the room! That's the first time I've seen her on a talk show, she's a great guest. Ellen did ask her if she was seeing anyone and she said she doesn't talk about that. THEN, Ellen said "You were seeing Andy Roddick?" Again, Maria said she doesn't talk about that but "Andy talks too much" -- with a smile. When she played ping-pong Ellen made Maria play left handed to "spot" her some points. Ellen got ahead in the match and she let Maria go back to her right hand.

I guess you know that's not her dog on the commercials? She said that's the number one comment she gets is about her dog. That's about the end of it, it wasn't long, but it gave me a whole new impression of Maria and it as good!

Very sweet.

Very

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2007, 10:56:09 AM »

She's effervescent. She's bubbles and her bubbles go all over the room! That's the first time I've seen her on a talk show, she's a great guest. Ellen did ask her if she was seeing anyone and she said she doesn't talk about that. THEN, Ellen said "You were seeing Andy Roddick?" Again, Maria said she doesn't talk about that but "Andy talks too much" -- with a smile. When she played ping-pong Ellen made Maria play left handed to "spot" her some points. Ellen got ahead in the match and she let Maria go back to her right hand.

I guess you know that's not her dog on the commercials? She said that's the number one comment she gets is about her dog. That's about the end of it, it wasn't long, but it gave me a whole new impression of Maria and it as good!

Very sweet.

Very

Thanks for all that information yellowball, I'm glad I got to hear about it and its great that Maria came across from the interview really well and it nice to hear she gave you and probably a few more people a new impression of Maria. Sounds like it was really interesting and that Maria was very bubbly. Maria never ever likes to talk about any relationships she may have had/has so that's something I'd have expected her to say but we know what Roddick's like. The ping pong also sounds like it was fun. But I'd have expected Maria to do have done pretty well playing left handed because she uses the left handed shot now and again in matches and usually plays it pretty well. The one I'll always remember is at Wimbledon 2004, 3rd round vs Hantuchova, when Hantuchova came in towards the net on maria's backhand side, but Maria stretched with her left hand and hit a crosscourt backhand outright winner past Hantuchova. I'll always remember that shot, it was amazing to do so with her left hand. So Maria should have stood up okay really playing ping pong lefthanded  :)) Really glad to hear though Maria came across so fantastically well.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2007, 02:26:41 AM »

Very sweet.

Very

i have always been impressed with her from the very first time i saw her play, i walked away thinking that she was going to be somebody special. she had an amazing fighting spirit.

would love to see her make that serve a little more menacing and take advantage of the angles her 6 foot 3 frame provides.

we may see her develop an effective slice and a little more reliable net game down the road. after that, there wont be any easy matches against her.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2007, 02:50:26 AM »

Very sweet.

Very

i have always been impressed with her from the very first time i saw her play, i walked away thinking that she was going to be somebody special. she had an amazing fighting spirit.

would love to see her make that serve a little more menacing and take advantage of the angles her 6 foot 3 frame provides.

we may see her develop an effective slice and a little more reliable net game down the road. after that, there wont be any easy matches against her.

Too right Herc, Maria is lways going to have that fantastic quality of her fighting spirit right throughout her career, she's just so competitive and will fight for every point as if its the very last she'll ever play.
The serve hopefully this year will have a chance to come on that bit further this year as long as the shoulder stays free on injuries and has no problems with it. Then Maria can hopefully look to get even more out of that serve because when its on, like the US Open Final with being so tall so can really get it out wide and that's going to be crucial against the likes of Henin because that's the best way to get her stretching early in the point and as a result be able to dominate the point early on.
An effective slice would be a great addition to Maria's game and I think she'll eventually get one into her game to some degree because you can see now and again she'll use it in a match, but uses it more in practice but its not all that effective, so if she puts loads of work into that and keeps trying to bring it on that will be great for Maria's game. Then there's the net aspect. Maria's never going to be or look natural at the net and will always look to come into the net when a swinging volley is on, but if she can look to get her opponent on the run and get into the net that way, and finish the point off with a pretty decent volley. That will be huge for Maria as that will give her game a whole new dimension and although her to save a little energy instead of having every point as a hard slog from the baseline. Maria's never going to get into the net loads but just now and again to change it up and finish points off would be a great addition to have into her game, and make her a much tougher player to beat and make oponents realise she is willing to come into the net and finish the point off.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2007, 02:55:41 AM »

Very sweet.

Very

Too right Herc, Maria is lways going to have that fantastic quality of her fighting spirit right throughout her career, she's just so competitive and will fight for every point as if its the very last she'll ever play.
The serve hopefully this year will have a chance to come on that bit further this year as long as the shoulder stays free on injuries and has no problems with it. Then Maria can hopefully look to get even more out of that serve because when its on, like the US Open Final with being so tall so can really get it out wide and that's going to be crucial against the likes of Henin because that's the best way to get her stretching early in the point and as a result be able to dominate the point early on.
An effective slice would be a great addition to Maria's game and I think she'll eventually get one into her game to some degree because you can see now and again she'll use it in a match, but uses it more in practice but its not all that effective, so if she puts loads of work into that and keeps trying to bring it on that will be great for Maria's game. Then there's the net aspect. Maria's never going to be or look natural at the net and will always look to come into the net when a swinging volley is on, but if she can look to get her opponent on the run and get into the net that way, and finish the point off with a pretty decent volley. That will be huge for Maria as that will give her game a whole new dimension and although her to save a little energy instead of having every point as a hard slog from the baseline. Maria's never going to get into the net loads but just now and again to change it up and finish points off would be a great addition to have into her game, and make her a much tougher player to beat and make oponents realise she is willing to come into the net and finish the point off.

throwing a little variety at them here and there can really throw somebody`s momentum and ryhthm off and it is fast becoming an important part of one`s arsenal in tennis. it just increases your options.

incidently, speaking of her fighting, did you happen to see her fight against patti schnyder at roland garros earlier this year? she just would not give up.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2007, 03:04:28 AM »

Very sweet.

Very

throwing a little variety at them here and there can really throw somebody`s momentum and ryhthm off and it is fast becoming an important part of one`s arsenal in tennis. it just increases your options.

incidently, speaking of her fighting, did you happen to see her fight against patti schnyder at roland garros earlier this year? she just would not give up.

That was simply just AMAZING! Schnyder really didn't throw that match away, even though she had 4 games where she served for the match the fight Maria showed was just beyond belief, she told herself that there was no way she was going to walk off that court having been defeated. Thay was just an incredible attitude Maria showed and add to that it was on her wost surface, with her being a doubt for the tournament initially because of her shoulder it made it even more remarkable. That match was one of the most fighting and determined efforts I have ever seen on a tennis court and it was one of the matches where I have felt prouder of Maria than most other times. Remarkable fighting effort from Maria.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2007, 01:31:31 PM »

Very sweet.

Very

That was simply just AMAZING! Schnyder really didn't throw that match away, even though she had 4 games where she served for the match the fight Maria showed was just beyond belief, she told herself that there was no way she was going to walk off that court having been defeated. Thay was just an incredible attitude Maria showed and add to that it was on her wost surface, with her being a doubt for the tournament initially because of her shoulder it made it even more remarkable. That match was one of the most fighting and determined efforts I have ever seen on a tennis court and it was one of the matches where I have felt prouder of Maria than most other times. Remarkable fighting effort from Maria.

clay is going to pose some problems for her as she just does not move well enough on that surface in my opinion.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2007, 01:40:09 PM »

Very sweet.

Very

clay is going to pose some problems for her as she just does not move well enough on that surface in my opinion.

Clays always going to be a huge problem for Maria against the real top claycourt players because of not growing up on a claycourt and hardly ever playing on one when she was younger, and then when you consider Maria's height, thats always going to make it more difficult to move on that surface. Also a player really good on clay and used to it, slides into their shots when reaching for it and that gives them that bit more time and gets them better prepared for the next shot whereas Maria slides after she has hit the ball. I do think thats always going to be Maria on clay but she'll always fight on the surface and that'll get her through quite a few matches. Clays always going to be the struggle for Maria, thats why I'm so desperate for Maria to get the Australian Open and Olympic title under her belt, that way its only Roland Garros away from the golden career Slam.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2007, 05:25:16 PM »
I believe she has described herself as a "cow on ice" when it comes to her clay court play. If she doesn't belive in herself on clay, how she ever be able to succeed on it?

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)