Author Topic: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!  (Read 200992 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: The Maria Sharapova thread- Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2007, 01:57:33 AM »
I believe she has described herself as a "cow on ice" when it comes to her clay court play. If she doesn't belive in herself on clay, how she ever be able to succeed on it?

Exactly as she described herself Dmas, but I think when she goes onto court all that she has said before just disappears and she just looks at getting through her opponent the other end. With her game and being such a fighter she is able to beat a lot of the players even on clay, its just the problem of trying to get the belief going against the top players because I know when Maria's played Henin on clay she's gone in there not really fully believing she could win. When she said she feels like a cow on ice, she said it with respects to how she moves but she does believe that she can still win on the surface with her fight and determination, because after all she has reached the semi's and the quarters in Paris. I think when Maria said the comment she did so more to humour people than too much else.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2007, 02:05:02 AM »
I believe she has described herself as a "cow on ice" when it comes to her clay court play. If she doesn't belive in herself on clay, how she ever be able to succeed on it?

Exactly as she described herself Dmas, but I think when she goes onto court all that she has said before just disappears and she just looks at getting through her opponent the other end. With her game and being such a fighter she is able to beat a lot of the players even on clay, its just the problem of trying to get the belief going against the top players because I know when Maria's played Henin on clay she's gone in there not really fully believing she could win. When she said she feels like a cow on ice, she said it with respects to how she moves but she does believe that she can still win on the surface with her fight and determination, because after all she has reached the semi's and the quarters in Paris. I think when Maria said the comment she did so more to humour people than too much else.

she is so young and has 2 slams in the bag already. i think the best is yet to come from maria. justine has 4 french titles and may be hard to beat on red clay but justine has 2 years at best before the decline begins. maria has more than enough time to get it done there. belief is critical. if she believes she can do it, 1/2 the battle is won already.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2007, 02:54:50 AM »

she is so young and has 2 slams in the bag already. i think the best is yet to come from maria. justine has 4 french titles and may be hard to beat on red clay but justine has 2 years at best before the decline begins. maria has more than enough time to get it done there. belief is critical. if she believes she can do it, 1/2 the battle is won already.

Yeah Herc all Maria can do is keep working hard, developing her game and blieving in herself at all times, I'm pretty sure that on clay she'll get to that point 100% with another year or 2 on the surface. The one big problem though Maria is going to have with trying to improve on clay- her movement more than anything because thats the huge difference on that surface is that usually Maria will only play generally 2 clay tounaments a year, so thats really not a great amount of time to improve, but as you say Herc hopefully within a couple of years Henin will start to decline a little because until then Henin is the French Open queen. So we can hope and blieve that in a couple of years time Maria will be placed much better to make a serious challenge for the French, whereas Henin will maybe be falling slightly. Then its just a factor of how good the players coming through will be and if any of them will truely great on clay.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2007, 01:20:08 PM »

Yeah Herc all Maria can do is keep working hard, developing her game and blieving in herself at all times, I'm pretty sure that on clay she'll get to that point 100% with another year or 2 on the surface. The one big problem though Maria is going to have with trying to improve on clay- her movement more than anything because thats the huge difference on that surface is that usually Maria will only play generally 2 clay tounaments a year, so thats really not a great amount of time to improve, but as you say Herc hopefully within a couple of years Henin will start to decline a little because until then Henin is the French Open queen. So we can hope and blieve that in a couple of years time Maria will be placed much better to make a serious challenge for the French, whereas Henin will maybe be falling slightly. Then its just a factor of how good the players coming through will be and if any of them will truely great on clay.

hey chris according to the most recent tennis mag, papa yuri is open to the idea of some outside consulting for maria to help with various technical aspects of her game.

i think it is great news. this something that they should have been doing all for nadal as well.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2007, 01:28:16 PM »

hey chris according to the most recent tennis mag, papa yuri is open to the idea of some outside consulting for maria to help with various technical aspects of her game.

i think it is great news. this something that they should have been doing all for nadal as well.

I heard just a small rumour about that, but now you say it as well Herc maybe it is possibly true. I think that would be a huge boost for Maria and depending on who possibly came in could really take Maria's game up another level. It would be ideal to have a different view and some different ideas in the camp to just try and ensure Maria works on the couple of areas that would give her a much better game. I'd love to see this happen and as you say its something Rafa should do because although Yuri and Toni have done fantastic jobs with both it'll be great for both of their games to get a new face in the camp.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2007, 01:42:02 PM »

I heard just a small rumour about that, but now you say it as well Herc maybe it is possibly true. I think that would be a huge boost for Maria and depending on who possibly came in could really take Maria's game up another level. It would be ideal to have a different view and some different ideas in the camp to just try and ensure Maria works on the couple of areas that would give her a much better game. I'd love to see this happen and as you say its something Rafa should do because although Yuri and Toni have done fantastic jobs with both it'll be great for both of their games to get a new face in the camp.

obviously having a team of experts to travel around with you something only fed can afford and its not a good idea anyway but having part time consultants from time to time to help out in various technical areas is an idea whose time has come.

djokovic consults woodforde about net play. hewitt has consulted cahill, agassi, and agassi`s personal trainer.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2007, 01:49:51 PM »

obviously having a team of experts to travel around with you something only fed can afford and its not a good idea anyway but having part time consultants from time to time to help out in various technical areas is an idea whose time has come.

djokovic consults woodforde about net play. hewitt has consulted cahill, agassi, and agassi`s personal trainer.

Soon Maria will be able to afford the team of experts travelling around more so than Fed, but I like you don't like that idea and think you can get a conflict of opinions and it can take a negative effect on your game. Whereas the part time consultants just looking at a certain technical issue in a players game would be a great idea, because for instance if Maria could work with someone who played the net well for a month or so that would help her net game and give her more confidence it that area, as you say thats something that quite a lot of players are doing now like Djoko with his net game and Hewitt seeking advice.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2007, 01:53:54 PM »

Soon Maria will be able to afford the team of experts travelling around more so than Fed, but I like you don't like that idea and think you can get a conflict of opinions and it can take a negative effect on your game. Whereas the part time consultants just looking at a certain technical issue in a players game would be a great idea, because for instance if Maria could work with someone who played the net well for a month or so that would help her net game and give her more confidence it that area, as you say thats something that quite a lot of players are doing now like Djoko with his net game and Hewitt seeking advice.

she has damn near a monopoly on mental toughness. only justine would rank above her.

all that is left to do is improve serve, slice, and the volley and then get the hell out of the way. and did i mention she is barely 20 and has 2 slams in the back pocket.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2007, 02:01:12 PM »

she has damn near a monopoly on mental toughness. only justine would rank above her.

all that is left to do is improve serve, slice, and the volley and then get the hell out of the way. and did i mention she is barely 20 and has 2 slams in the back pocket.

That's it Herc! There the areas and no one is going to beat Maria in mental toughness. Sounds good that they're the improvements Maria can improve and yet she still has 2 Grand Slams in the bag and having also been ranked World Number 1 twice before.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #109 on: December 24, 2007, 01:45:30 AM »

That's it Herc! There the areas and no one is going to beat Maria in mental toughness. Sounds good that they're the improvements Maria can improve and yet she still has 2 Grand Slams in the bag and having also been ranked World Number 1 twice before.

2008 is the year for her. she must make her move and go after justine. she is fearless and that is one of her secrets to success. its time to make it happen again.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #110 on: December 24, 2007, 01:52:46 AM »

2008 is the year for her. she must make her move and go after justine. she is fearless and that is one of her secrets to success. its time to make it happen again.

Maria's certainly fearless and this as you say could really be her year to step it up that next level and take Justine on head to head. If the pattern follows we could have at least a 3rd Slam title, with 2004- Wimbledon, 2006- US Open, 2008- ?

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2007, 02:48:16 AM »

Maria's certainly fearless and this as you say could really be her year to step it up that next level and take Justine on head to head. If the pattern follows we could have at least a 3rd Slam title, with 2004- Wimbledon, 2006- US Open, 2008- ?

i am predicting that maria will be a factor at 3 slams this year and may take home 2 slams. the australian open and the u.s. open. her camp`s willingness to consult experts to help out in various technical aspects of her game tells me that she wants to kick some ass in 2008. she is hungry for a slam or 2.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #112 on: December 24, 2007, 02:57:33 AM »

i am predicting that maria will be a factor at 3 slams this year and may take home 2 slams. the australian open and the u.s. open. her camp`s willingness to consult experts to help out in various technical aspects of her game tells me that she wants to kick some ass in 2008. she is hungry for a slam or 2.

Yeah that will be a huge step forward to get a bit of advice and trainning in with some technical experts, that really is an indication that Maria's game is going to be looked to be taken to the next level and that 2008 could be maria's most successful year yet. I'll have your hand snapped off with your prediction of possibly 2 Slams, being at the Australian and US Opens. In particular to get that title in Melbourne must be huge for a player because before you're out of January you have a Slam title and your year is always going to be considered a pretty big success as long as something disastrous doesn't happen. Also to get to 75% of the career Slam at just 20 would be the most awesome thing!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2007, 03:06:36 AM »

Yeah that will be a huge step forward to get a bit of advice and trainning in with some technical experts, that really is an indication that Maria's game is going to be looked to be taken to the next level and that 2008 could be maria's most successful year yet. I'll have your hand snapped off with your prediction of possibly 2 Slams, being at the Australian and US Opens. In particular to get that title in Melbourne must be huge for a player because before you're out of January you have a Slam title and your year is always going to be considered a pretty big success as long as something disastrous doesn't happen. Also to get to 75% of the career Slam at just 20 would be the most awesome thing!

look here is the deal chris: venus and serena have played limited tennis and serena had to pull out of the year ending tournament in madrid. that is 2 less that maria has to worry about. it may come down to final between maria and justine. and anything can happen in final. if maria is on and pours it on, she could have the kind of result she had at 2006 u.s. open.

i hope they are all healthy and ready to battle but i have a gut feeling that maria proved something in madrid. she proved that she ready to knock on the door of #1. she might do it.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #114 on: December 24, 2007, 03:38:22 AM »

look here is the deal chris: venus and serena have played limited tennis and serena had to pull out of the year ending tournament in madrid. that is 2 less that maria has to worry about. it may come down to final between maria and justine. and anything can happen in final. if maria is on and pours it on, she could have the kind of result she had at 2006 u.s. open.

i hope they are all healthy and ready to battle but i have a gut feeling that maria proved something in madrid. she proved that she ready to knock on the door of #1. she might do it.

Well it would be a huge boost to begin with for Venus and Serena not to be absolute huge factors in Australia because thats 2 of Maria's very biggest rivals, although I do worry that Serena usually peaks in Melbourne and that you never know copuld happen again this season, although the injury she had in Madrid we are still very unsure about and we need to see her play a couple of amtches before she could be consider a massive title contender. The same with Venus after her injury and illness problems at the nd of the year. Then there's obviously going to be Justine and then possibly somebody like Ivanovic (most likely in my view) or Kuznetsova, Jankovic stepping it up. I know Maria has probably put even more work in this off season though and after the huge sproblems and sets backs last year, and then the way she hit back in Madrid, Maria is as determined as ever and that could just be the key to a very successful 2008 and a huge and hopefully successful battle with Henin. All this discussing and analysing is getting me even more eager, excited and nervous for Melbourne, and in particularly Maria's shoulder and her form from the word go!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #115 on: December 24, 2007, 11:17:37 AM »

Well it would be a huge boost to begin with for Venus and Serena not to be absolute huge factors in Australia because thats 2 of Maria's very biggest rivals, although I do worry that Serena usually peaks in Melbourne and that you never know copuld happen again this season, although the injury she had in Madrid we are still very unsure about and we need to see her play a couple of amtches before she could be consider a massive title contender. The same with Venus after her injury and illness problems at the nd of the year. Then there's obviously going to be Justine and then possibly somebody like Ivanovic (most likely in my view) or Kuznetsova, Jankovic stepping it up. I know Maria has probably put even more work in this off season though and after the huge sproblems and sets backs last year, and then the way she hit back in Madrid, Maria is as determined as ever and that could just be the key to a very successful 2008 and a huge and hopefully successful battle with Henin. All this discussing and analysing is getting me even more eager, excited and nervous for Melbourne, and in particularly Maria's shoulder and her form from the word go!

one of these days i am going to brave the long flight to australia and see this first major of the year first hand. i will have to do some planning.

in any case, i agree. maria should be healthy and ready to go.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2007, 11:23:26 AM »

one of these days i am going to brave the long flight to australia and see this first major of the year first hand. i will have to do some planning.

in any case, i agree. maria should be healthy and ready to go.

That's one of my planned trips, one of 24 I should say so it could be some time yet until I get there, but I'm definitely going to try and take the 22 hours flight one day and go to the event in Sydney for a few days before, check Sydney out and then head to Melbourne. Could be sometime though until I plan that trip.

Maria will be heading out to Singapore in just a couple of days time and then the new season is almost upon us  :good:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2007, 05:00:54 PM »
Hey Chris, how is that shoulder of hers?  That seem to be a concern this past year.  She was injured a lot so she needs to get in better shape and hope to stay relatively healthy.  In fact, all of the WTA players need to get on this boat!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2007, 02:37:09 AM »
Hey Chris, how is that shoulder of hers?  That seem to be a concern this past year.  She was injured a lot so she needs to get in better shape and hope to stay relatively healthy.  In fact, all of the WTA players need to get on this boat!

Hey Dallas, by all accounts so far so good with the shoulder. Maria's been putting in about 6 hours each day and so far the shoulder has held up really well and there's been no problems or reactions to the ongoing problem Maria was sontinuously having to deal with in 2007. Now its just a case of putting the shoulder through match conditions and the pressures that come with it and at the moment its looking pretty good that the shoulder will be absolutely fine at the start of the year. That's definitely what we need after the 2007 season because the injury was taking one of Maria's biggest waepons, her serve away from her. If she's got that serve at 100% that will be huge for her when it comes to matches against the top players, just look how big a part Maria's serve played in the 2006 US Open Final. Lets hope we have a much healthier year for Maria and allround on the WTA side this year, surely we can't have as many injuries as past years.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2007, 12:06:50 PM »

Hey Dallas, by all accounts so far so good with the shoulder. Maria's been putting in about 6 hours each day and so far the shoulder has held up really well and there's been no problems or reactions to the ongoing problem Maria was sontinuously having to deal with in 2007. Now its just a case of putting the shoulder through match conditions and the pressures that come with it and at the moment its looking pretty good that the shoulder will be absolutely fine at the start of the year. That's definitely what we need after the 2007 season because the injury was taking one of Maria's biggest waepons, her serve away from her. If she's got that serve at 100% that will be huge for her when it comes to matches against the top players, just look how big a part Maria's serve played in the 2006 US Open Final. Lets hope we have a much healthier year for Maria and allround on the WTA side this year, surely we can't have as many injuries as past years.

healthy maria is going to be a factor in 2008. you can make book on it.