Author Topic: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!  (Read 192469 times)

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
Re: The Maria Sharapova thread- Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2007, 08:07:11 PM »
Chris, I can't believe you actually had the nerve to make this thread! lol
I'm so inspired
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #121 on: December 26, 2007, 02:04:04 AM »
I'm so inspired

Come on Wilson you know me better than most on here, you should have known this would come  :)) I actually decided to start it because there were threads about Fed, Rafa, Roddick and Sampras and decided my girl needed a piece of the action as well! I can imagine you'll get a Williams one going lol. I expect to see you in this thread on a regular basis wilson  :rofl_2:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2007, 02:14:26 AM »
I'm so inspired

Come on Wilson you know me better than most on here, you should have known this would come  :)) I actually decided to start it because there were threads about Fed, Rafa, Roddick and Sampras and decided my girl needed a piece of the action as well! I can imagine you'll get a Williams one going lol. I expect to see you in this thread on a regular basis wilson  :rofl_2:

absolutely a great thread chris. keep it going. you are the light on this thread for maria and for women`s tennis. all folks are welcome here to talk about any WTA related issues.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2007, 02:29:49 AM »
I'm so inspired

absolutely a great thread chris. keep it going. you are the light on this thread for maria and for women`s tennis. all folks are welcome here to talk about any WTA related issues.

Thanks very much Herc for your kind compliments! You make me sound like one of the real good guys  :)

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2007, 06:55:10 AM »
I'm so inspired

I think it's a good idea to create and maintain a thread about your favorite player. Herc had a great idea with his Clay Monster limitations thread. If enough people do this we may see Scooter create a player forum where there is a thread for each player.
It would work only as long as the people are willing to accept constructive criticism as well as praise for their player though.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2007, 07:04:36 AM »
I'm so inspired

I think it's a good idea to create and maintain a thread about your favorite player. Herc had a great idea with his Clay Monster limitations thread. If enough people do this we may see Scooter create a player forum where there is a thread for each player.
It would work only as long as the people are willing to accept constructive criticism as well as praise for their player though.

It would be really good to have enough individual player threads to start up an individual section for them all to go in, and I think its good if we have praise and constructive criticism of players, as long as the criticism doesn't become too personal, or completely unnecessay then the threads can only be a fantastic success, we only need to look at Herc's Clay Monster's Limitations to see what a huge success they can be. My only regret is that I didn't start this Maria thread during my first spell here.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2007, 11:53:39 AM »
I'm so inspired

these kinds of threads sometimes attract posters from other forums as they want to be able to engage in discussions about their favorite players. it sort of gives them the oportunity to jump right in and not be shy or apprehensive initially. they can then learn about and get to know about the other posters at their own pace.

i know i had second thoughts when i first joined. i was not comfortable here.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2007, 11:59:30 AM »
I'm so inspired

these kinds of threads sometimes attract posters from other forums as they want to be able to engage in discussions about their favorite players. it sort of gives them the oportunity to jump right in and not be shy or apprehensive initially. they can then learn about and get to know about the other posters at their own pace.

Can't imagine that from you Herc, you've really grown into one of the shining lights of the forum now.
I remember when I first joined it was becasue of the Fantasy Tennis but i just jumped right into the main discussions section and got involved with most things from the very first second I signed up. I  definitely agree though that new people will be much more comfortable if they saw a thread on their favourite player as they may get the feeling that there may be people they can relate to posting in that section.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2007, 12:05:22 PM »
I'm so inspired

Can't imagine that from you Herc, you've really grown into one of the shining lights of the forum now.
I remember when I first joined it was becasue of the Fantasy Tennis but i just jumped right into the main discussions section and got involved with most things from the very first second I signed up. I  definitely agree though that new people will be much more comfortable if they saw a thread on their favourite player as they may get the feeling that there may be people they can relate to posting in that section.

thanks chris. i think the biggest stars of the show here people like dallas, dmas, osu, and tennis4you.com shorty. they are the ones who make it happen. we are just along for the ride.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2007, 09:34:38 PM »
Maria, Serena Among Most-Searched on Yahoo!    :cool:   

With the 2007 calendar year coming to a close and 2008 about to kick off, we often find ourselves looking back at the year that was. Tennis fans worldwide were tracking events and results during the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour season, and as a result of the expanding popularity of women's tennis, two of the players on the Tour - Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams - ranked Top 5 among athletes searched on Yahoo! in 2007.

Sharapova's 2007 season was highlighted by capturing the singles title at San Diego as well as being a finalist at the Australian Open (falling to Serena Williams), Birmingham and the Tour Championships in Madrid (falling to Justine Henin). With a 40-11 record, the Russian native finished her 2007 campaign ranked No.5.

Williams captured her eighth career Grand Slam singles title at the Australian Open as well as triumphing at Miami. Williams' 35-10 record allowed her to climb to a season-ending ranking of No.7 after starting the season at No.95.

Additionally, Sharapova (No.2 overall) and Serena Williams (No.5 overall) found their way to the Yahoo! "Hits, Runs & Errors" list, which analyzed the Top 10 sports news searches. NASCAR (No.1), the Boston Red Sox (No.3) and soccer superstar David Beckham (No.4) filled out the top of the list.  :applause:

Yahoo! conducted the research based on a methodology that analyzed the search queries based on a number of factors, including absolute volume and growth versus previous periods, to see which themes and trends bubble to the surface.

MOST-SEARCHED ATHLETES ON THE WEB FOR 2007
1. Maria Sharapova  :first-place:
2. David Beckham
3. Serena Williams
4. Cristiano Ronaldo  :cheer:
5. Ronaldinho

HITS, RUNS & ERRORS
1. NASCAR
2. Maria Sharapova
3. Boston Red Sox
4. David Beckham
5. Serena Williams

Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2007, 09:49:15 PM »

With the 2007 calendar year coming to a close and 2008 about to kick off, we often find ourselves looking back at the year that was. Tennis fans worldwide were tracking events and results during the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour season, and as a result of the expanding popularity of women's tennis, two of the players on the Tour - Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams - ranked Top 5 among athletes searched on Yahoo! in 2007.

Sharapova's 2007 season was highlighted by capturing the singles title at San Diego as well as being a finalist at the Australian Open (falling to Serena Williams), Birmingham and the Tour Championships in Madrid (falling to Justine Henin). With a 40-11 record, the Russian native finished her 2007 campaign ranked No.5.

Williams captured her eighth career Grand Slam singles title at the Australian Open as well as triumphing at Miami. Williams' 35-10 record allowed her to climb to a season-ending ranking of No.7 after starting the season at No.95.

Additionally, Sharapova (No.2 overall) and Serena Williams (No.5 overall) found their way to the Yahoo! "Hits, Runs & Errors" list, which analyzed the Top 10 sports news searches. NASCAR (No.1), the Boston Red Sox (No.3) and soccer superstar David Beckham (No.4) filled out the top of the list.  :applause:

Yahoo! conducted the research based on a methodology that analyzed the search queries based on a number of factors, including absolute volume and growth versus previous periods, to see which themes and trends bubble to the surface.

2. David Beckham
3. Serena Williams
5. Ronaldinho

HITS, RUNS & ERRORS
1. NASCAR
2. Maria Sharapova
3. Boston Red Sox
4. David Beckham
5. Serena Williams

Interesting Conchita, I bet the advertisers know about this stat also.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2007, 12:29:10 AM »

2. David Beckham
3. Serena Williams
5. Ronaldinho

HITS, RUNS & ERRORS
1. NASCAR
2. Maria Sharapova
3. Boston Red Sox
4. David Beckham
5. Serena Williams

Yeah I saw these results a couple of weeks ago when Yahoo announced them and its great for Maria to be the most searched athlete because there's certainly some serious competition for her. Her sponsors must absolute love somebody like Maria. It's also good to see Cristiano on the list as well!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 12:30:44 AM by ChrisTaylor1987 »

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #132 on: December 27, 2007, 12:37:27 AM »

2. David Beckham
3. Serena Williams
5. Ronaldinho

HITS, RUNS & ERRORS
1. NASCAR
2. Maria Sharapova
3. Boston Red Sox
4. David Beckham
5. Serena Williams

Yeah I saw these results a couple of weeks ago when Yahoo announced them and its great for Maria to be the most searched athlete because there's certainly some serious competition for her. Her sponsors must absolute love somebody like Maria. It's also good to see Cristiano on the list as well!

she has it all: charisma, looks, intelligence, and she is a preeminant athlete. is it any wonder that she commands over $25 mill/year in endorsement income.

and if that was not enough, she also has the most sought after commodity in the universe: youth.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2007, 12:51:36 AM »

2. David Beckham
3. Serena Williams
5. Ronaldinho

HITS, RUNS & ERRORS
1. NASCAR
2. Maria Sharapova
3. Boston Red Sox
4. David Beckham
5. Serena Williams

she has it all: charisma, looks, intelligence, and she is a preeminant athlete. is it any wonder that she commands over $25 mill/year in endorsement income.

and if that was not enough, she also has the most sought after commodity in the universe: youth.

Summed up absolutely perfectly Herc! There the aspects needed in todays world and Maria's really got the lot!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2007, 02:24:40 PM »
Maria's arrived in Singapore today for the first leg of her Asian build up to Melbourne. Maria will be playing Chakvetadze on Sunday and then will be moving onto the JB Group Classic in Hong Kong to play an 8 women event with a quality field. Here is a link of Maria in Singapore today- 3 pictures at the side.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/319660/1/.html

SINGAPORE: The world's highest paid female athlete, tennis star Maria Sharapova arrived in Singapore early Friday morning from Los Angeles.

Clad in a simple striped outfit, the 1.88-metre beauty faced the local media at the Fullerton Hotel rooftop in the afternoon.

The World No 5 appeared at ease in front of the cameras, despite her weariness from the 18-hour flight.

She will be making quite a few public appearances during her three-day trip in Singapore, and the highlight will be her exhibition match against fellow Russian, Anna Chakvatedza, on Sunday at the Indoor Stadium.

"The reason why I am here – this is my only preparation for the Australian Open, along with a little tournament in Hong Kong that I am going to be playing next week. So really, I don't play any real tournament before the Australian (Open) and this is my warm-up and (I am) definitely going to treat it as a big match," Sharapova said.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2007, 03:47:40 PM »
Sharapova, who has won two grand slam titles, will play the world number six Chakvetadze on December 30 at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

The 20-year-old was runner-up in the season-ending WTA tour championship in Madrid after making a top-five finish in the tour rankings for the fourth consecutive year.

The match will be a repeat of this year's Australian Open quarter-finals, when Sharapova beat Chakvetadze in straight sets en-route to the final, where she lost to Serena Williams.

Chakvetadze later reached the semi-finals of this year's US Open in New York
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2007, 03:53:49 PM »
Here's the draw and how the tournament will work out for Hong Kong which will get underway on Wednesday and the Final will be on Saturday

The eight players will compete in a quarterfinal draw. The four winners will advance to the Gold Group, with four losers moving into the Silver Group. Both groups will the comprise of two semifinal matches and one final. A champion will be crowned in both the Gold and Silver Groups.

Singles Draw
Ana Ivanovic vs. Elena Dementieva
Peng Shuai vs. Venus Williams
Anna Chakvetadze vs. Daniela Hantuchova
Caroline Wozniacki vs. Maria Sharapova

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2007, 02:34:28 PM »
Maria's arrived in Singapore today for the first leg of her Asian build up to Melbourne. Maria will be playing Chakvetadze on Sunday and then will be moving onto the JB Group Classic in Hong Kong to play an 8 women event with a quality field. Here is a link of Maria in Singapore today- 3 pictures at the side.

SINGAPORE: The world's highest paid female athlete, tennis star Maria Sharapova arrived in Singapore early Friday morning from Los Angeles.

Clad in a simple striped outfit, the 1.88-metre beauty faced the local media at the Fullerton Hotel rooftop in the afternoon.

The World No 5 appeared at ease in front of the cameras, despite her weariness from the 18-hour flight.

She will be making quite a few public appearances during her three-day trip in Singapore, and the highlight will be her exhibition match against fellow Russian, Anna Chakvatedza, on Sunday at the Indoor Stadium.

"The reason why I am here – this is my only preparation for the Australian Open, along with a little tournament in Hong Kong that I am going to be playing next week. So really, I don't play any real tournament before the Australian (Open) and this is my warm-up and (I am) definitely going to treat it as a big match," Sharapova said.

good update chris. i was checking out your new avatar. what a body on this woman. just incredible.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2007, 02:38:41 PM »

good update chris. i was checking out your new avatar. what a body on this woman. just incredible.

Really looking forward to tomorrows match up with Chakvetadze! This won't be an ordinary exhibition match as these 2 girls need the preparation before Melbourne and Maria only has 3 more matches before then after this match up so this will be treated pretty seriously, which is great news. Glad you like my avatar Herc, Maria really does have a lovely body and it shows up very nicely in my avatar  :))

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2007, 02:51:11 PM »

Really looking forward to tomorrows match up with Chakvetadze! This won't be an ordinary exhibition match as these 2 girls need the preparation before Melbourne and Maria only has 3 more matches before then after this match up so this will be treated pretty seriously, which is great news. Glad you like my avatar Herc, Maria really does have a lovely body and it shows up very nicely in my avatar  :))

she could be a $20-$30 million a year supermodel just for the asking if she wanted to. i am taking into account the fact that she is famous now anyway so she could be the greatest supermodel of all time with that 6 foot 3 inch frame and a perfect body.