Author Topic: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!  (Read 215445 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: The Maria Sharapova thread- Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2007, 02:59:42 PM »
A few comments from Sharapova about gambling and the new AO surface.

Sharapova: Women's tennis "very clean"

SINGAPORE (AP) -- Maria Sharapova said Saturday she believed women's tennis is taking the necessary measures to remain clean amid allegations of match-fixing and illegal betting in the men's game.

"The women's game is very clean," the fifth-ranked player said one day before an exhibition match with her sixth-ranked Russian compatriot, Anna Chakvetadze.

Sharapova, 20, said WTA Tour chief executive and chairman Larry Scott "is doing all the things possible, from having meetings throughout the year to encouraging players to be safe and smart about their choices.

"Unfortunately we have to be realistic about the fact that some of these things do go on ... but at the end of the day I believe that women's tennis is doing a great job of being clean," Sharapova said.

Concerns about match-fixing in men's tennis have risen since August, when an online betting company reported unusual betting patterns during a match between fourth-ranked Nikolay Davydenko of Russia and Martin Vassallo Arguello of Argentina. Since then, several players have said they were approached with offers to fix matches for money.

The ATP, which recently introduced new anti-corruption rules, suspended Italians Potito Starace and Daniele Bracciali for making bets on tennis matches involving other players.

Sharapova also welcomed the new surface that the upcoming Australian Open will be played on. Organizers of the 2008 event, the year's first tennis major, have replaced the cushioned Rebound Ace courts at Melbourne Park with firmer Plexicushion.

"Especially in extreme heat, the court gets very sticky and a lot of injuries can occur," Sharapova said. "So I'm very excited about it and it will be good to have a good week of practice before to get used to it."

The new Plexicushion surface is expected to produce a lower ball bounce than Rebound Ace. Organizers also expect the new surface will retain less heat, which makes it better suited to Australian conditions.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2007, 03:12:06 PM »
Maria's arrived in Singapore today for the first leg of her Asian build up to Melbourne. Maria will be playing Chakvetadze on Sunday and then will be moving onto the JB Group Classic in Hong Kong to play an 8 women event with a quality field. Here is a link of Maria in Singapore today- 3 pictures at the side.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/319660/1/.html

SINGAPORE: The world's highest paid female athlete, tennis star Maria Sharapova arrived in Singapore early Friday morning from Los Angeles.

Clad in a simple striped outfit, the 1.88-metre beauty faced the local media at the Fullerton Hotel rooftop in the afternoon.

The World No 5 appeared at ease in front of the cameras, despite her weariness from the 18-hour flight.

She will be making quite a few public appearances during her three-day trip in Singapore, and the highlight will be her exhibition match against fellow Russian, Anna Chakvatedza, on Sunday at the Indoor Stadium.

"The reason why I am here this is my only preparation for the Australian Open, along with a little tournament in Hong Kong that I am going to be playing next week. So really, I don't play any real tournament before the Australian (Open) and this is my warm-up and (I am) definitely going to treat it as a big match," Sharapova said.

good update chris. i was checking out your new avatar. what a body on this woman. just incredible.

Really looking forward to tomorrows match up with Chakvetadze! This won't be an ordinary exhibition match as these 2 girls need the preparation before Melbourne and Maria only has 3 more matches before then after this match up so this will be treated pretty seriously, which is great news. Glad you like my avatar Herc, Maria really does have a lovely body and it shows up very nicely in my avatar  :))

she could be a $20-$30 million a year supermodel just for the asking if she wanted to. i am taking into account the fact that she is famous now anyway so she could be the greatest supermodel of all time with that 6 foot 3 inch frame and a perfect body.

I would certainly rate her above any supermodel I've seen so I'd say you're right Herc about that. A lot of those supermodels I often wonder how they make it just looking at half of them!
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2007, 03:16:09 PM »

SINGAPORE (AP) -- Maria Sharapova said Saturday she believed women's tennis is taking the necessary measures to remain clean amid allegations of match-fixing and illegal betting in the men's game.

"The women's game is very clean," the fifth-ranked player said one day before an exhibition match with her sixth-ranked Russian compatriot, Anna Chakvetadze.

Sharapova, 20, said WTA Tour chief executive and chairman Larry Scott "is doing all the things possible, from having meetings throughout the year to encouraging players to be safe and smart about their choices.

"Unfortunately we have to be realistic about the fact that some of these things do go on ... but at the end of the day I believe that women's tennis is doing a great job of being clean," Sharapova said.

Concerns about match-fixing in men's tennis have risen since August, when an online betting company reported unusual betting patterns during a match between fourth-ranked Nikolay Davydenko of Russia and Martin Vassallo Arguello of Argentina. Since then, several players have said they were approached with offers to fix matches for money.

The ATP, which recently introduced new anti-corruption rules, suspended Italians Potito Starace and Daniele Bracciali for making bets on tennis matches involving other players.

Sharapova also welcomed the new surface that the upcoming Australian Open will be played on. Organizers of the 2008 event, the year's first tennis major, have replaced the cushioned Rebound Ace courts at Melbourne Park with firmer Plexicushion.

"Especially in extreme heat, the court gets very sticky and a lot of injuries can occur," Sharapova said. "So I'm very excited about it and it will be good to have a good week of practice before to get used to it."

The new Plexicushion surface is expected to produce a lower ball bounce than Rebound Ace. Organizers also expect the new surface will retain less heat, which makes it better suited to Australian conditions.

Thanks swish! good article and good to see Maria's thoughts and opinions on the match fixing/better situation thats going around right now and her postive thoughts on why the change in the Australian surface may be a positive one. I'll be really interested though to hear Maria's thoughts on it after a week of practice or a couple of rounds in Melbourne.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2007, 03:25:27 PM »

Thanks swish! good article and good to see Maria's thoughts and opinions on the match fixing/better situation thats going around right now and her postive thoughts on why the change in the Australian surface may be a positive one. I'll be really interested though to hear Maria's thoughts on it after a week of practice or a couple of rounds in Melbourne.

That's what I'm waiting for as well, see how the players evaluate the surface after some play. I think it'll be a big story and have a lot of press.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2007, 07:39:41 PM »
Chris, here's her picture just for you:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032986/

Offline thalivest

• Tennis God
« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2007, 09:00:13 PM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2007, 12:54:48 AM »

Thanks Dallas  :thumbs up:
Always lovely to see Maria as you know!

Offline TheBull

• Tennis God
« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2007, 08:02:46 AM »

Damn she's ugly!!!

Agree with thalivest here.. She looks so...

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #148 on: December 30, 2007, 09:18:59 AM »
Hot off the press now, searched every website going I think for the last 1 and a half hours and now its just come through on one website that Maria won her exbibition match in Singapore against Chakvetadze 6/0, 7/6 (12-10)  :yahoo: Blowout first set so fantastic start to the year, then maybe she took a little off in the 2nd in order to at least give the crowd a bit more value for money. Nice start for Maria and now she'll move onto Hong Kong for the exhibition tournament there. Here's a few pictures from the match:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=e5664f6744ebe066d4d9f460f5372239-getty-tennis-rus-sin-sharapova-chakvetadze&prov=getty

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=94b023df138c4ec794a90219c25ab718.singapore_sharapova_sin101&prov=ap

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=571f059308f470c5b0ec927be7d44140-getty-tennis-rus-sin-sharapova&prov=getty
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 09:29:08 AM by ChrisTaylor1987 »

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #149 on: December 30, 2007, 11:57:10 AM »
I guess the good news for Maria is she hit rock bottom at the U.S Open.  So anything from there has to be an improvement from were she was at that point.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 11:58:05 AM by kittens25 »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2007, 12:16:58 PM »
Here's a brief review and article on Maria's match today, the part I'm most encouraged by and pleased to hear is that Maria was sending down some pretty blistering and impressive serves during the match, and thats huge for Maria and her game, and will be crucial if the shoulder is no longer a factor at all for Maria.
MARIA WINS IN SINGAPORE

Maria played and won her exhibition against Anna Chakvetadze of Russia in Singapore today.   Maria won 6-0 7-6 (12-10).

Maria took the 1st set 6-0 in 26 minutes overwhelming Chakvetadze with some blistering first serves and clean winners from the baseline

Chakvetadze took a 5-2 lead in the 2nd set but Maria came fighting back to take 4 of the next 5 games to force a tie-break.  Maria took it 12-10.

After the match Maria was very pleased with her performance and said: "I think I did a pretty good job."

Maria will now head to Hong Kong and will play her 1st match on Wednesday against Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2007, 01:24:20 PM »
Here's a brief review and article on Maria's match today, the part I'm most encouraged by and pleased to hear is that Maria was sending down some pretty blistering and impressive serves during the match, and thats huge for Maria and her game, and will be crucial if the shoulder is no longer a factor at all for Maria.
MARIA WINS IN SINGAPORE

Maria played and won her exhibition against Anna Chakvetadze of Russia in Singapore today.   Maria won 6-0 7-6 (12-10).

Maria took the 1st set 6-0 in 26 minutes overwhelming Chakvetadze with some blistering first serves and clean winners from the baseline

Chakvetadze took a 5-2 lead in the 2nd set but Maria came fighting back to take 4 of the next 5 games to force a tie-break.  Maria took it 12-10.

After the match Maria was very pleased with her performance and said: "I think I did a pretty good job."

Maria will now head to Hong Kong and will play her 1st match on Wednesday against Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark.

good for maria. its not easy to shut down a top 10 player like that. lets hope she is off to a flying start and gives justine a good run for her money in 2008.

i hear she has some new coaching help/assistance. is that right?

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2007, 01:29:32 PM »
MARIA WINS IN SINGAPORE

good for maria. its not easy to shut down a top 10 player like that. lets hope she is off to a flying start and gives justine a good run for her money in 2008.

So far I've not heard any names of any coaches who are helping her with technical aspects or anything like that, but have heard she's spoken to a couple of people (no names mentioned) and may possibly have a little more assistance from somebody during the week before the Aussie, when she's in Melbourne practicing. I don't think we'll know for sure if/how much she's getting a little more outside coaching/assistance until the Australian Open.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2007, 02:41:23 PM »
MARIA WINS IN SINGAPORE

So far I've not heard any names of any coaches who are helping her with technical aspects or anything like that, but have heard she's spoken to a couple of people (no names mentioned) and may possibly have a little more assistance from somebody during the week before the Aussie, when she's in Melbourne practicing. I don't think we'll know for sure if/how much she's getting a little more outside coaching/assistance until the Australian Open.

its michael joyce, her hitting partner. that is what i have heard.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2007, 03:21:55 PM »
MARIA WINS IN SINGAPORE

If that's the only name so far thats been used by Maria about issues then I seriously wouldn't expect to see hardly any change/improvement in Maria's game for the next 10 years because Michael Joyce over the last 2/3 years, especially since Maria got rid of Robert Landsdorp has been very much a parallel coach with Yuri and has had a lot to do with Maria's game and has become a lot more than just her hitting partner during the last couple of years. I do really hope thats not the only person who's being used to improve Maria's game, as if it is then there won't be too much different in Maria's game over the next few years.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2007, 03:29:40 PM »
MARIA WINS IN SINGAPORE

If that's the only name so far thats been used by Maria about issues then I seriously wouldn't expect to see hardly any change/improvement in Maria's game for the next 10 years because Michael Joyce over the last 2/3 years, especially since Maria got rid of Robert Landsdorp has been very much a parallel coach with Yuri and has had a lot to do with Maria's game and has become a lot more than just her hitting partner during the last couple of years. I do really hope thats not the only person who's being used to improve Maria's game, as if it is then there won't be too much different in Maria's game over the next few years.

good point. that is the name.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2007, 03:32:19 PM »
MARIA WINS IN SINGAPORE

That's bad news then and no further development in my view, other than the development made with age and experience.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2007, 05:31:37 PM »
MARIA WINS IN SINGAPORE

That's bad news then and no further development in my view, other than the development made with age and experience.

i agree. i was under the impression that they were actually going to bring in somebody from the outside in an advisory capacity.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2007, 05:38:08 PM »
MARIA WINS IN SINGAPORE

i agree. i was under the impression that they were actually going to bring in somebody from the outside in an advisory capacity.

Thought it was too good to be true that somebody other than Yuri and Michael Joyce would be in Maria's camp either helping with technical issues or little bits of advice, well maybe I can keep hoping that one day somebody will come in different to help Maria's game in a different way, I just hope its not too late by then.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2008, 02:58:43 PM »
HONG KONG PRESS CONFERENCE

Maria took part in a press conference today at the JB Group Classic in Hong Kong, here are some of the interesting things she spoke about:

Playing Hong Kong:
"It has worked well for me over the last few years. I don't like playing a tournament a week before a grand slam.  I like to get to Melbourne and get a good weeks training. This is the best preparation I can get. You are guaranteed a few matches against the top players, which is better than just training.

Training
"I have had a really good five or six weeks of training and I am really looking forward to the new season  Last year was probably the biggest learning curve for me on and off the court."

2008:
"It is everyone's goal to become number one. Everyone has the chance to do that but its more important to win every match you play and give everything you have every time.  I don't worry about it too much really. I don't like to put too many goals on myself. I just look forward to winning the tough matches and becoming number one and winning grand slams."

Maria will open her Hong Kong campaign on Wednesday against  world number 60 Caroline Wozniacki at 18.30 Hong Kong time, Maria has never played Wozniacki before.