Author Topic: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!  (Read 201340 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: The Maria Sharapova thread- Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything!
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2008, 02:21:52 AM »
SONY ERICSSON SIGNS MARIA IN LANDMARK OFF-COURT DEAL

Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications has announced today that it has signed an exclusive four year sponsorship agreement with female tennis player, Maria Sharapova, to become the company's first global brand ambassador.

The stunning and talented Russian, who turns 21 in April this year, will undertake a series of innovative new consumer brand campaigns specifically designed to engage Sony Ericsson's core target audiences and to utilise Maria away from the tennis court.

Maria will also be working with Sony Ericsson's design team on a range of products and accessories.

The off-court agreement complements Sony Ericsson's 6 year $88 million global title sponsorship of the WTA Tour which was signed in January 2005 and is the biggest deal in the history of women's sport. Sony Ericsson's commitment to women's tennis has energised the game by bringing fans closer to the experience and taking the sport to new audiences through cutting edge initiatives like night tennis - a fusion of tennis, fashion, music and dance.

Commenting on today's announcement, Dee Dutta, Corporate Vice President and Head of Marketing at Sony Ericsson, said: "Now in our seventh year as a company, the brand has evolved significantly and securing a global brand ambassador is a natural progression to take our brand to the next level in an increasingly competitive market place."

"Maria's iconic status, determination, dynamism, success and charm match strongly with the Sony Ericsson brand, which prides itself on innovative and cool design with substance."

"Our alignment with Maria's global iconic status, combined with our brand expertise and innovative thinking aims to provide something new and something different to our customers around the world."

Maria Sharapova added, "It is really exciting to be working with a cool brand like Sony Ericsson which has such a strong reputation in the entertainment industry".

"Even though most people know me as a tennis player, I have so many passions beyond the sport like fashion, music, film and design; which Sony Ericsson and I are going to be exploring together through our partnership."

looks like super maria may finally have some competition in the endorsement income arena. ivanovic just signed the richest racket endorsement deal in tennis history with yonex.

this is in addition to the most lucrative deal in tennis history with adidas that she signed last year. the money is just raining on her from the heavens. she and super maria are the future of women`s tennis.

Yeah I saw your comment Herc about Ivanovic's new deal with Yonex and the size of her Adidas deal and it really does look like Maria and Ana are going to have some serious competition between themselves off the court as well as on the court. Ivanovic now needs to get a Grand Slam victory, preferably Wimbledon to increase her popularity/ how well she is known and rake in more in the endorsements, especially since a lot of people out of the tennis world still don't know who Ivanovic is, whereas Maria is completely a gloabal icon now.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2008, 04:06:23 PM »
AUSTRALIAN OPEN 1ST ROUND INTERVIEW
Q. How do you assess your form Monday as a first‑round match?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I played a pretty tricky opponent, someone that I haven't played in a while. You know, the last couple matches that I played in Asia were against pretty big‑hitting girls. So she was definitely a trickier opponent. Also a lefty. You don't see too many of those around these days.
So, you know, I was prepared for it, but I was happy that I was able to follow through.

Q. How do you compare your form now with this time last year when you made the final?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I don't like to compare to last year's form.

Q. How much is this week about getting the business done, getting into the next week?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's always a matter of worrying about what you have to do on your side, taking care of business on your side of the net in each and every match that you play, no matter what your opponent is doing. It's important that you do what you have to do and hopefully come out with a win.

Q. Do you have a different mindset week one to week two?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, you obviously know that the second week is always tougher than the first. But you got to get the job done in the first week first, worry about the second one when you get there.

Q. How many months have you been completely physically healthy and what's the prognosis now?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Like completely healthy where I've woken up ‑‑ that's pretty much impossible. I'm sure you know that. But shoulder‑wise, for a few months now. I still have to do a lot of treatment on it daily, twice a day before I play and afterwards. But shoulder‑wise I feel real good.

Q. The constant worry you were having last year week to week about the shoulder, that's pretty much gone away?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah. Especially when I'm playing, I'm not worrying about it. I'm not worrying about making it worse, thinking it's going to get worse. Yeah, I'm over that stage ‑ I hope. Knock on wood.

Q. Lindsay is not your typical first‑week opponent. Can you comment on how you see that shaping up?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's going to be a completely different opponent than the opponent I played today. You know, Lindsay's a big hitter, has a big serve. You know, she's more of a 1‑2 ball combination type of player. It's going to be very important to serve well and return well and hopefully get a good hit on the first ball.

Q. Is that what worked for you? You have a good record against her.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I do. Yeah, I do. But this is a completely different match. We haven't played in a while. It's going to be a new match.

Q. When you saw the draw, did you say, Ouch, how come I'm the unlucky one getting her? There's not too many floaters who were Grand Slam champs in the draw.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: If I can't beat them in the second round, I can't beat them at all.

Q. Lindsay spoke about being more aggressive when she plays you. Is that the way you'll approach that match as well?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I think that's our game. We have pretty similar styles of game. You know, we're baseline players. We like to take advantage from the first ball. We like to get a good hit. Both of us have pretty good serves. You know, so it's going to be important to hit a high percentage of first serves in and, like I said, get a good hit on the ball, on the first ball.

Q. Lindsay was mentioning getting woken up early in the morning by the baby crying. Could you imagine going about the career, getting woken up at 5 a.m., dealing with the baby, going back to sleep?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Not really. But we're in completely different stages in our career. Obviously she loves tennis very much. It's obviously very difficult to have a baby and be back so soon. So, you know, her love and passion for the sport is pretty great. You know, it's wonderful to see someone who has already accomplished so much, you know, still going back and giving it all she has, yeah.

Q. So when you walked onto the grounds after Asia, thinking about last year...
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I didn't think about last year (smiling).

Q. Were you pretending you were here for the first time?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No (laughter). That's not true either.

Q. Looking ahead, what were you thinking about this tournament, what you felt like you could do, what you wanted to do?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think I was just more happy with the fact that I had a really good four to five weeks of really solid training. I put the work in. This is just the time where you go out and you hope that the work that you put in just translates into the matches. Obviously you never know what can happen, how you're going to feel physically, how you're going to go out there.
A practice match or a practice is completely different than going out and playing in front of 10,000, 15,000, you know, people. It's completely different. You just hope, you know, when you finally go out on the court, you hope that work that you put in just translates.
You can't think about what you did in the past years. You can't think about what your results were. You just got to look forward to what's going to come up.

Q. Did that match against Justine at the Championships help you turn the corner?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: The whole week was just, you know, a great relief for me because I was very close to just saying a few weeks before that, This was not my year, it's just been really frustrating and difficult. But I didn't give up. I kept having little setbacks where I would train for a few days and then had to stop for a week.
Of course, that's frustrating because you start asking yourself, Well, where is this going? That's not the way to train. That's not the way you're going to become No. 1 again. I just thought of maybe going on vacation.
But I kept going. I kept working. And even though I lost that match, I had a really good week. You know, I played really solid tennis. I was able to have a vacation without thinking how the next year's going to start.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2008, 02:13:20 AM »
hey chris when is your player stepping on the court? this is going to be a hell of a match. super maria has to play flawless tennis here. and she has to serve big. davenport is a tough on hard courts.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2008, 03:19:28 AM »
hey chris when is your player stepping on the court? this is going to be a hell of a match. super maria has to play flawless tennis here. and she has to serve big. davenport is a tough on hard courts.

Fantastic 1st for Maria over Davenport. this is beyond perfect so far in such a big match!  :))  :king:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2008, 04:38:13 AM »
great victory for Maria in the 2nd round over Davenport. this will be a huge confidence booster for the rest of the event. fantastic from Maria she always makes me so proud!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »
great victory for Maria in the 2nd round over Davenport. this will be a huge confidence booster for the rest of the event. fantastic from Maria she always makes me so proud!

i am still concerned however chris:

** where is the variety
** where is the confidence to go forward--transistion game
** where is the slice

justine can expose some of these weaknesses.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2008, 02:13:21 PM »

** where is the variety
** where is the slice

Fair and true points Herc. The offseason was never going to be long enough to work on those aspects, especially since Maria had only just got over her serve and needed to do a lot of work on that to get it back in shape and with missing quite a bit of tennis last year she knew she had to work very hard on her fitness and improve that. Going forward Maria has a lot of confidence if the ball is up high around the shoulder area as she hits one of the best swinging vollies in the game, so she's confident at that but the natural vollies will never be a comfort for her so she's just going to have to use that tactic as a surprise and change up, or when she knows she can definitely finish off the point. Maria will for sure keep working as hard as anybody on her game and over time maybe she'll have confidence to hit a few more slices, or to change it up slightly, as when I've watched her before in practice she tries them a little more, but now she's got to look to conver that onto the match court. But lets not forget Maria is still just 20, has 2 Grand Slam titles already, and been world number 1 so these are areas which can be looked at as bonuses in her game. Right no the key for Maria is for sure her serve and her consistency off the ground. If the serve is in working order and she's hitting the ball hard and deep she's in great stead.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2008, 02:21:37 PM »

** where is the variety
** where is the slice

Fair and true points Herc. The offseason was never going to be long enough to work on those aspects, especially since Maria had only just got over her serve and needed to do a lot of work on that to get it back in shape and with missing quite a bit of tennis last year she knew she had to work very hard on her fitness and improve that. Going forward Maria has a lot of confidence if the ball is up high around the shoulder area as she hits one of the best swinging vollies in the game, so she's confident at that but the natural vollies will never be a comfort for her so she's just going to have to use that tactic as a surprise and change up, or when she knows she can definitely finish off the point. Maria will for sure keep working as hard as anybody on her game and over time maybe she'll have confidence to hit a few more slices, or to change it up slightly, as when I've watched her before in practice she tries them a little more, but now she's got to look to conver that onto the match court. But lets not forget Maria is still just 20, has 2 Grand Slam titles already, and been world number 1 so these are areas which can be looked at as bonuses in her game. Right no the key for Maria is for sure her serve and her consistency off the ground. If the serve is in working order and she's hitting the ball hard and deep she's in great stead.

she has indeed taken her serve up a notch chris. should be able to serve lesser players right off the court now. the service motion is looking smooth.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2008, 02:29:22 PM »

** where is the variety
** where is the slice

she has indeed taken her serve up a notch chris. should be able to serve lesser players right off the court now. the service motion is looking smooth.

Yeah when I got a live look of Maria's 5 matches in Madrid the serve looked like it was back and giving her just what she needs for her game to work at its best level, but from seeing it so far this year she looks like she's taken it up another level or so. She's worked very hard on that in the off season and is now seeing the rewards, as you say lesser players may be served off the court to a degree, but it'll be vital against her main rivals as it allows her to look to dictate the point straight away and get that all important first strike in. One of Maria's best serving displays was against Henin in the US Open 06 Final, but now the serve looks much better even from that, which is just incredibly encouraging and exciting.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2008, 03:22:14 PM »
Maria will be taking on fellow countrywoman Elena Vesnina in the 3rd round and that match will be 3rd on the Vodafone Arena so the approx start time will be something around 4:00am/5am GMT so 11pm/12midnight EST. I quite like Vesnina but this is a match she's got to go down in big time. The 2 have never met before but will know a little about one another on and off the court after spending time together during the Fed Cup Final ast year in Moscow. This is a match Maria needs to carry her great momentum she has got going after thrashing Davenport right through and make it very comfortably to the 4th round! Best of luck Maria and do your stuff  :)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2008, 12:42:06 AM »
Maria will be taking on fellow countrywoman Elena Vesnina in the 3rd round and that match will be 3rd on the Vodafone Arena so the approx start time will be something around 4:00am/5am GMT so 11pm/12midnight EST. I quite like Vesnina but this is a match she's got to go down in big time. The 2 have never met before but will know a little about one another on and off the court after spending time together during the Fed Cup Final ast year in Moscow. This is a match Maria needs to carry her great momentum she has got going after thrashing Davenport right through and make it very comfortably to the 4th round! Best of luck Maria and do your stuff  :)

saw super maria in action today. she is all business. i think she wants to pour it on.

the serve has become a huge weapon. what is impressive is that she made up her mind and made it happen.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2008, 12:45:08 AM »

saw super maria in action today. she is all business. i think she wants to pour it on.

the serve has become a huge weapon. what is impressive is that she made up her mind and made it happen.

Yeah! Good match again from Maria today, once she's got used to the Vesnina game there was no looking back and importantly she was still serving really well and the serve looks as though its getting better and better and is very much a huge weapon in her matches. Against her main 3 rivals that's going to be huge for Maria to continue! Dementieva up next and Maria has a lot of good memories from this match up so she'll be very confident!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2008, 12:47:59 AM »

Yeah! Good match again from Maria today, once she's got used to the Vesnina game there was no looking back and importantly she was still serving really well and the serve looks as though its getting better and better and is very much a huge weapon in her matches. Against her main 3 rivals that's going to be huge for Maria to continue! Dementieva up next and Maria has a lot of good memories from this match up so she'll be very confident!

you are on your own in that one. i like elena very much. can she win? probably not but i gotta root for the future mother of my 10 future children.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2008, 12:51:17 AM »

you are on your own in that one. i like elena very much. can she win? probably not but i gotta root for the future mother of my 10 future children.

Haha, you can wish about the children  :rofl_2: you're rooting against 'super Maria' then Herc! it will be hard for Dementieva after all the beat downs Maria's given her over the last few years but she must be playing well to beat peer for the loss of just 2 games so it has potential to be a tough match for Maria, but I'm saying Maria all the way  :cool:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2008, 01:29:58 AM »

Haha, you can wish about the children  :rofl_2: you're rooting against 'super Maria' then Herc! it will be hard for Dementieva after all the beat downs Maria's given her over the last few years but she must be playing well to beat peer for the loss of just 2 games so it has potential to be a tough match for Maria, but I'm saying Maria all the way  :cool:

future mother of my 20 future children does not do well against super maria. that is the price you pay for not having the belief and a relatively well-rounded game.

elena should have become comfortable at ending points at the net long time ago since she has always had a huge ground game. on hard courts, you just have to go in and end the points that are begging to be ended.

she had struggled for the longest on her serve and now not being able to have a little variety to her game is costing her. effective slice and a sound net game is missing from her arsenal.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2008, 02:17:36 PM »
Here's Maria's 3rd Round Post Match interview

Q. Your third straight-sets win in a row. What are your thoughts on today's match?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I started off a little bit slow. I was trying to figure out her game. We never played before, only in practice. It took a few games, I think six games, to really find my game as well.
You know, I really tried to keep the intensity I had in the previous match, take it to this one, but that's always difficult.
But after the 3-All game I thought I did a good job of stepping up and playing good.

Q. Any aspect of your game that you're really happy with?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Uhm, I think I returned well today. I've been returning well throughout the last couple of matches. That's pretty important, especially against big servers.
I think, you know, especially in the beginning of the match she served pretty well and didn't give me too many looks at second serves, but I was able to take advantage from the first point.

Q. She's just not quite as consistent as you are, huh?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think that's where it's tough to say, because I think she came out having not really much to lose and hitting the balls big and having a lot of pace on her balls.
But when it got close I felt like I had a huge advantage. You know, whether that's experience or her being a little tight, you know, even though we kept breaking each other a couple times, I still felt like I had the edge in the match.

Q. You know Dementieva really well, your next opponent. She had a quick win today in a match that could have gone long against Peer. Should be a tough matchup.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's always a tough match against her. It's very physical because she gets a lot of balls back. She makes you work for every point. You know, I'll need to definitely -- definitely need to serve well, take my opportunities when I get on the return, and get a good hit on the first ball. It's going to be important.

Q. Your father doesn't wear the hoodie anymore. Is he feeling better?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, it was a lot warmer today. Would you wear a hoodie? Would you wear a sweater in this weather? Question. Can you answer the question?

Q. If Nike would pay me enough money, I would do it.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I don't know if they're paying him money (laughter). He's happy to get some free sweaters.

Q. The first week has pretty much passed for you now. Tough second-round matchup. Going into next week, looking ahead, it will get pretty rough. The draw isn't that easy.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: It definitely isn't. But I think my goal is - like always - to try to take care of my side of the net, do what I need to do, and also keep the intensity up from match to match. That's very important.
Coming off a solid performance in the previous round, you want to try to keep that intensity with every game and point that you play. You really got to concentrate on what you have to do. Of course, it's only going to get tougher.
But you know me, I like those challenges and I look forward to them.

Q. Considering how much you focused on trying to get ready to beat Lindsay, do you feel you had any sort of hangover from that at the beginning of the match today, being able to get focused and into it?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I played a different opponent and also someone I never played before. I played Lindsay numerous times. I know her game quite well.
But when you play someone that you're not really sure of their game, practice is completely different than playing a match, of course. And also them coming into the match and having not much to lose.
With the way she was playing, you know, in the first few games, especially on my serve, ripping every ball and going for it, you know, that can be dangerous.
Like I said, it was just important for me to try to take care of my own business.

Q. In the past sometimes they said equal prize money was not fair because women were winning too easily.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Of course it's fair. We were waiting for the men to finish five sets. God. We should get paid more for waiting around all day long (laughter).

Q. In these days it's happened that the top eight players have won all their matches very easily. I mean, there were seven 6‑Loves and there were only two men two sets love.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: God, I love your questions. Always the professor (laughter).

Q. The professor would like to know if now you believe women should be paid more than men?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Let's not get greedy here. No, I'm happy that it's equal. I think all the girls are. I think it's definitely fair. We fought for a really long time. I think prize money should grow in both women's and men's tennis, because I think the popularity of our sport is growing in so many different areas of the world.
To see it expand with every trip you take into different regions, it's incredible. And I hope with years to come, like Billie Jean King did for us, we can do for the generation that's going to be playing when we're all retired.

Q. Are you intending to come with the Russian team in the Fed Cup to Israel?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Oh, yeah, definitely.

Q. For sure?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yes.

Q. The Israeli crowd is expecting you very much.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Thank you. I expect to conquer them (laughter). I'm so excited about this trip. It's one of my priorities for this year, along with competing in the Olympics. Ever since I've been watching the Olympics on TV and ever since I went to Moscow to watch the girls play in the final, watch them win, hear the anthem, it was really amazing.
I mean, in today's match we had a group of about 20 Russian fans, you know, yelling my name and Elena's name and saying, No matter what happens, Russia is still the champions. I'm looking forward to it.
Even though we're playing in Israel, I'm looking forward to the team experience and also visiting Israel for the first time.

Q. You know Dementieva beat the two Israelis pretty easily.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah.

Q. What do you think about your chances?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I think we're coming into it. I think we're gonna be expected to win. But I don't think -- you know, we're not playing at home. You know, that's never easy. You know, the girls would obviously know.
As an individual, I take every match seriously, no matter who I'm going to play. I look forward to the challenges. And, like I said, I mean, the crowd is going to be on their side, and that's never easy.

Q. Today Jankovic got a warning because her mother apparently was coaching her. She said it wasn't true, so on. Do you remember when your father had the warning for the same reason, or if he ever had?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: He's had a couple. I'm sure you remember better than I remember (laughter).

Q. Do you remember when was the last time?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Was it here last year maybe?

Q. Maybe so.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: You should know. You're the teacher. You should tell me.

Q. I'll tell you later.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's all right. We'll drop that subject.

Q. It was against Camille Pin. Very hot conditions.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I remember the match. I try not to remember that much, for many different reasons, yeah.

Q. Was today the first time you got a time code warning?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think so, yeah. It was strange because I always play with the same pace no matter if I'm winning or losing. I don't think she won a game after that, so I don't think it helped my opponent too much.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2008, 01:15:05 PM »
Maria will play her 4th round match against #11 seed Elena Dementieva of Russia on Sunday.

The match is the 3rd match on Vodafone Arena and the schedule of play will begin at 11.00 Australian time. (12:00GMT, 19.00 ET &16.00 PT).

Maria leads Dementieva 7-2 in the head-to-head having won the last meeting in Los Angeles last year.  Maria will be playing for her 4th consecutive appearance in the 4th Round here while Dementieva has never got past this round here.

Should be a good match as long as Dementieva can get into it early on because if she gets down and Maria gets on top of her early on all the bad memories will flood into her head and then she's going to seriously struggle. Best of luck Maria, with you all the way  ://

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #197 on: January 20, 2008, 01:41:57 AM »
Maria booked her spot in the quarter-finals today at the Australian Open for the 4th consecutive year as she defeated #11 Elena Dementieva of Russia 6-2 6-0 in 1 hour and 2 minutes.  Maria will now play top seed Justine Henin of Belgium.

It was an impressive performance from Maria as she hit 18 winners and has only 11 errors throughout the match.

Maria took the 1st set convincingly when everything she tried, worked.  Maria took a 4-1 lead by hitting clean groundstrokes and getting the first strike to hit 10 winners to only 5 errors.  The trend continues as Maria won the set 6-2 in 32 minutes when Dementieva double-faulted.

Maria continued her good form in the 2nd set as she took it 6-0.  Maria took the set in 23 minutes when she pounded a backhand return winner.

In the quarters Maria will be facing a formiable opponent in Henin.  Henin is the undisputed #1 and is unbeaten since July of last year.  Maria has defeated Henin twice - the most memorable being at the final of the US Open in 2006 which Maria won in straight sets.  They last played in the final of the WTA Championships in Madrid in November which Henin just won in a match that lasted well over 3 hours.  This match will be played on Tuesday.  Can Maria end Henin's unbeaten run?  Don't miss this match as it will be a thriller!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #198 on: January 20, 2008, 02:10:46 AM »
Maria booked her spot in the quarter-finals today at the Australian Open for the 4th consecutive year as she defeated #11 Elena Dementieva of Russia 6-2 6-0 in 1 hour and 2 minutes.  Maria will now play top seed Justine Henin of Belgium.

It was an impressive performance from Maria as she hit 18 winners and has only 11 errors throughout the match.

Maria took the 1st set convincingly when everything she tried, worked.  Maria took a 4-1 lead by hitting clean groundstrokes and getting the first strike to hit 10 winners to only 5 errors.  The trend continues as Maria won the set 6-2 in 32 minutes when Dementieva double-faulted.

Maria continued her good form in the 2nd set as she took it 6-0.  Maria took the set in 23 minutes when she pounded a backhand return winner.

In the quarters Maria will be facing a formiable opponent in Henin.  Henin is the undisputed #1 and is unbeaten since July of last year.  Maria has defeated Henin twice - the most memorable being at the final of the US Open in 2006 which Maria won in straight sets.  They last played in the final of the WTA Championships in Madrid in November which Henin just won in a match that lasted well over 3 hours.  This match will be played on Tuesday.  Can Maria end Henin's unbeaten run?  Don't miss this match as it will be a thriller!

maria has to take down justine and slam the door shut on her. attack, attack, and then attack some more.

she cannot sit back and try to engage in long rallies with justine. justine has 4 french opens and can hit balls back all day and all night. she has to be pushed.

maria simply must force the issue. also, justine has become much more assault minded herself so its attack or be attacked.

i am rooting for super maria.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2008, 02:26:51 AM »

maria has to take down justine and slam the door shut on her. attack, attack, and then attack some more.

she cannot sit back and try to engage in long rallies with justine. justine has 4 french opens and can hit balls back all day and all night. she has to be pushed.

maria simply must force the issue. also, justine has become much more assault minded herself so its attack or be attacked.

i am rooting for super maria.

This could be an absolutely huge and classic match on Tuesday with Henin having the long run, the number 1 ranking and the 2 Slams right now but with Maria at this moment having the form and the injury freeness she hasn't had for 12 months. Maria has got to look at that US Open Final and see what she did well there, in particular on serve and think to herself that she's got a better serve still now and she's got to really go for that serve and look to get the first hit in as thats the only way against a player like Henin, if she can do that and get Henin on the backfoot when Maria is serving and then play aggressive, while at the same time keeping it consistent on the return of serve Maria has a good chance to really take it to Henin. Henin usually has a low first serve percentage also so if thats the case on Tuesday Maria must take that 2nd serve on and look to dominate. I can't wait for this one but at the same time am incredibly nervous already!