Author Topic: January Tennis  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Benny

• Tennis Enthusiast
Re: January Tennis
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2015, 08:20:31 PM »
All right. The semifinals of the AO 2015 are set. All straight set wins with a tiebreak included. I wonder if Wawrinka will repeat Bruguera style.

Hi Benny,
What's the Bruguera style? Do you think he will win the AO again?
Nah. As I expected, Djokovic edged out their match.
I was referring to Sergi Bruguera, who beat the No 1 and No 2 seeds to his first FO title like Wawrinka did in AO before defending his title the next year for his last FO title. Obviously, Wawrinka was not able to go that far with his streaky play against Djokovic.
"If I don't practice the way I should, then I won't play the way I know I can."
-Ivan Lendl

Search List:
Muster vs Stich Davis Cup: Not yet obtained

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2015, 10:10:08 PM »
Missed the Stanimal match, will have to see the replay.

What's interesting is that it's so competitive between the two now, Stan didn't make a move in his game for years and now is a real threat, at least at the AO.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2015, 03:55:41 AM »
We go to the fifth. Nole really below form tonight.  :(
I didn't see much of the match but I thought Stan was going to pull it out after winning the 4th set. :(  He looked to be more alert and hungrier whereas Nole looked a bit negative and flat.

On to final.
Doesn't hold much interest for me as I don't much care for the style of either player. :ZZZZZ)
Will probably just go ice fishing instead....

Go Pats!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2015, 03:57:18 AM »
Missed the Stanimal match, will have to see the replay.

What's interesting is that it's so competitive between the two now, Stan didn't make a move in his game for years and now is a real threat, at least at the AO.
Ayuh.
I could watch that backhand of his all day long. :gleam:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2015, 04:39:19 AM »
All right. The semifinals of the AO 2015 are set. All straight set wins with a tiebreak included. I wonder if Wawrinka will repeat Bruguera style.

Hi Benny,
What's the Bruguera style? Do you think he will win the AO again?
Nah. As I expected, Djokovic edged out their match.
I was referring to Sergi Bruguera, who beat the No 1 and No 2 seeds to his first FO title like Wawrinka did in AO before defending his title the next year for his last FO title. Obviously, Wawrinka was not able to go that far with his streaky play against Djokovic.

Thanks Benny, I didn't know that.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2015, 04:47:27 AM »
I only woke up in time for the second set of the ladies final. There was some good tennis there but, even with the mandatory mute on, the emotion was pouring out of the TV. Serena nearly blew it twice with some premature victory calls. She was going to pieces a bit at the end of the tie break and if it had gone to a third  Maria could well have won.

But the women's game is always somewhat like quantum physics. You can never know with certainty until it's all over. :uhm:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:49:31 AM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2015, 03:09:56 AM »
Tuned in for the final at 4am. Within a minute, it was clear that Djokovic was playing at a much higher level than he did in the semi. Up a break in the first set. If he keeps this up, it will be an easy win.

Edit: spoke too soon  ..-).  Back on serve at 4-3.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:20:47 AM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2015, 03:59:26 AM »
High octane first set, won by Nole in the tie break. But I wonder how long he can keep up with the many long rallies?

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2015, 04:13:05 AM »
I enjoyed the women's final as Serena played in silent mode and cruised to victory.  The Chief even commented on the quiet ball-striking from Serena as being a big change from years past.  Maria put up a fight to the very end, but it was clear that should had no solutions to the myriad of problems that Williams presented her.  Major Kudos to Serena for playing the best defense I've ever seen from her.

Time to peak in on the men's final now.....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2015, 05:17:19 AM »
Murray gets the second on the tie break. It's a grueling match for both. I think it will be Murray who will last the distance.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2015, 06:23:39 AM »
Murray gets the second on the tie break. It's a grueling match for both. I think it will be Murray who will last the distance.

Got that one wrong  ..-) again.

Nole gets it in four. Murray collapses in the last set rather like the way Stan did the other night.

Offline Michael

• Tennis Player
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2015, 07:49:32 AM »
Don't think it's a coincidence. Djokovic is like water eroding rock. Murray had been similar under Lendl. I think his recovery of the second set was helped by the protest breaking up the flow and allowing a break for Murray to cool down and refocus. I think as a continuous flow the pattern was going gradually away from him.

He did have Djokovic on the ropes a bit at that moment and early in the third. It looked like if he'd have been able to strictly sustain that and keep dictating he might have been able to drain the fight out of Nole's legs; but Djokovic was able to recover and turn it back. By the time he was 3 up in the 4th, it was clear Murray was a boxer who had no punches left.

Wonder how Murray evaluates that going forward, though I'm sure he'll be pleased in making the final. Remember him saying last year his plan with Mauresmo was to shift away from straining his body as much as he had been under Lendl, and focusing a bit more on a tennis based plan so he can take better care of it. His tennis has become a bit less cynical, though on evidence of that match, his endurance may have dropped to a lower level.

Also wonder if Nadal's health and game will recover in time for the French Open. It usually does, though it's been quite a while now that he hasn't looked like himself. He needs a proper run of matches, and he'll need his body to be up to that.

Could be a good year for Djokovic.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:54:18 AM by Michael »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2015, 07:53:55 PM »
It did look like Murray just wore down, he made some outstanding shots but so many came back.

Nole was pretty solid almost the whole match, really consistent.

They weren't just pushing the ball back, there was some strong hitting from both of them.

It looked like Murray was a little tired at the end, both mentally and physically.
He hasn't played at a high level for long enough to have the staying power I guess.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2015, 08:52:39 PM »
Yes, I agree with the above. All through the final, which I rated as a very good one, Nole was playing much better than he did in the Wawrinka match.

Well, I guess that puts an end to watching tennis for a while. Now to get back to a regular sleep schedule.  :ZZZZZ)