Author Topic: The New Generation  (Read 1659 times)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: The New Generation
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »

OK, we have a baby Fed AKA as Dimitrov, now we are getting a baby Djokovic (Coric). It's funny. Where is a baby Rafa?  :)

http://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/borna-coric-impressive-start-for-youngster

There is no such monster. Nadal is a one of kind player. There are two significant reasons why we may not see another; 1 his playing style is much more difficult, more work/effort than anybody wants to do, 2 his style of play is more damaging to his body, and perhaps career shortening, than anybody wants to deal with.
Maybe someone can duplicate his spin and playing style. But I don't think it will be soon.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Benny

• Tennis Player
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 07:09:40 PM »
I'm not sure about Coric. Considering Rafael Nadal was preparing for surgery and out-of-form, defeating him is not quite as impressive as the defeat at Wimbledon.
"If I don't practice the way I should, then I won't play the way I know I can."
-Ivan Lendl

Search List:
Muster vs Stich Davis Cup: Not yet obtained

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2014, 05:20:05 AM »
Although the win may be considered tainted, personally, I would celebrate it. :king:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 08:09:20 PM »
I'm not sure about Coric. Considering Rafael Nadal was preparing for surgery and out-of-form, defeating him is not quite as impressive as the defeat at Wimbledon.

Fine job by Coric to keep his head though, when facing one of the legends it's a lot of pressure no matter what form they bring.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2015, 12:41:26 AM »
I'm still waiting for the new guys to make a statement.
Roanic, Dimitrov and now Kyrgios played fairly well but against the aging guard they dropped like flies.

Nishikori, though not young looks to have some staying power.

Offline Michael

• Tennis Player
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2015, 10:00:32 AM »
Although I haven't been super impressed with his tennis game yet; Kyrgios has shown some very encouraging signs at a young age. At 19 he's made 2 slam quarters and on more than one occasion saved match points to come from 2 sets down to beat good players. You would expect to see something come out of that as it's so difficult to do, and it's not that he's been a workhorse in his teens like Nadal. He seems to be a naturally a good athlete.

I also remember being impressed at Wimbledon that he had the audacity to toy with Nadal; and I don't mean the famous shot between the legs, I mean serving into a place when it could win him the point while making Nadal look a bit silly, rather than going elsewhere out of respect; so there's a competitor there. The question with him is that he appears to be another temperamental aussie who may not have the love/dedication/discipline for the sport that you need to make it at the top and might stop progressing ala Tomic.

The other issue with Kyrgios is that by the time he'd be ready; the OG would be at the stage Federer is at now.

If we're talking about any of these guys getting to a stage where they lead the tour and take over to a comparable level as what we've seen with Djokovic, I'm not seeing any signs of that. There could be a period similar to the one between Sampras-Agassi and Federer-Nadal, where we see good players trading slams with the aging guard and the streaky players who can put a good run together now and again.

The way careers are lasting these days, even with Djokovic into his 30s, it could be similar to the WTA & Serena where the tour still has to hope she's having an off day. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2015, 12:40:04 PM »
Next Generation?! 

What a joke!

I see Fed playing for another 2 years, maybe 3.  He has stated multiple times he wants to play to 35 and everone laughed it off, yet now it doesn't look so laughable.  He may not win anymore majors but he will be a consistent threat at all of them and sure to ruin more then a few hopeful dreams of any up and comers along the way.

Rafa owns the French until someone proves otherwise.  Also a threat to make the finals at any GS he plays in for the next 2-3 years.  Wouldn't be shocking to see him return to form and dominate the tour again.

Novak could go on another serious run.  This guy has many years left and is probable win a major (or 2) a year for the next 3. 

Murray isn't even close to being done.  Expect another couple slams out of this young man, and many more finals. 

We will see more stan's and marin's interuppting the big 4, but there really is no threat of a next generation right now. 

It may be 4-5 years before we see the next big thing.  Hell, Rog could still be playing till he is 40.  I won't doubt anything from that guy now.
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2015, 01:08:45 PM »
TheLogo - I don't think DJokovic will be winning slams at 33. The depth of talent in the ATP is too strong. You've got Krygios, Thiem, Coric Kokkinakis coming on in addition to the fact that Djokovic is not what he was in 2011. He won't be able to dominate the entire year. Rafa still has RG in the bag. Roger will probably win one last Wimbledon. Maybe Nole wins a final US Open titlle this year.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2015, 07:45:38 PM »
If people are waiting for the new ones to take the tour like the top players now they can forget it.
There's over 40 slams accounted by Fed, Nole, Nadal and Murray.

Nole, Nadal and Murray will be around for years to come, Fed will be there to mess things up and clean up the scraps for awhile too.

Murray, the bottom of the top four, is well above anyone coming up by quite a bit.

Online ihearttennis

• New Poster
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2015, 11:11:21 PM »
Raonic will win ten slams with that serve! :gleam: :king:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2015, 12:26:28 PM »

I like Roanic the best of the newcomers so far.

He's been working on his game and not being satisfied with the serve.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2015, 04:36:33 AM »

I like his attitude as much as his serve.  He seems intent on improving.  Should be an interesting year for him. ://
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »

I like his attitude as much as his serve.  He seems intent on improving.  Should be an interesting year for him. ://

I like his demeaner too. He just gets down to business and tries his best.