Author Topic: ATP - 2008 AO Thread  (Read 184467 times)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
Re: Australian Open - ATP
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2008, 12:12:50 AM »
nice analysis bgt! I agree on most of them too. I just don't think Gasquet can go past Murray. Also, I'd make Roddick the favourite over Rafa, Roddick's playing well and he really needs to beat Rafa when he's vulnerable to safe face.

so for roddick to save face, he has to beat an injured and not a very good hard court player.

that makes a lot of sense.

I don't think Rafa isn't a very good hard court player. He is a beatable hard court player, and that's a distinct difference. He has won two HC masters beating a top 10 Agassi (right before his run to the USO final) in Canada in 05 and beating number 3 Andy and current rival Djoke in IW.

In order to beat Rafa, Andy will have to play like Blake does against him: hard, flat, and paint the lines and also be patient enough to hit 2 or 4 winners to win a point.. hopefully the balls will go in.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2008, 12:14:57 AM »
nice analysis bgt! I agree on most of them too. I just don't think Gasquet can go past Murray. Also, I'd make Roddick the favourite over Rafa, Roddick's playing well and he really needs to beat Rafa when he's vulnerable to safe face.

With the way Nadal has played lately on hard court - I agree with this statement as well.

yeah, you know. but you see I made Roddick the clearest favourite last year in Miami. and it was the same story there, Nadal had lost to malisse early on and then he was injured and tired for the AO quarterfinal.. and roddick was on his great roll with Connors and all that, and it was Miami like Roddicks home turf or something. and Roddick was humiliated.  :( 
IW... Andy retired down 3-5 to Murray in Miami.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #202 on: January 11, 2008, 12:15:40 AM »

With the way Nadal has played lately on hard court - I agree with this statement as well.

yeah, you know. but you see I made Roddick the clearest favourite last year in Miami. and it was the same story there, Nadal had lost to malisse early on and then he was injured and tired for the AO quarterfinal.. and roddick was on his great roll with Connors and all that, and it was Miami like Roddicks home turf or something. and Roddick was humiliated.  :( 
IW... Andy retired down 3-5 to Murray in Miami.

yeah that one. I keep getting those confused.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #203 on: January 11, 2008, 12:17:18 AM »

I know, but honestly, I have seen Nadal's hard court game go down instead of improving (just my opinion)... I mean, no matter what the surface when Nadal became "Nadal", you never saw these 6-1, 6-2, 6-0 sets given out now by so many of his opponents on hard courts!  So sure, people can say Nadal has improved in his game (and he has to a certain extent), but on hardcourt - seems like he was playing better in the past than he is now.  Again, just my opinion.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #204 on: January 11, 2008, 12:26:28 AM »

so for roddick to save face, he has to beat an injured and not a very good hard court player.

that makes a lot of sense.

well what's the other thing that can happen - he loses to an injured and not very good hard court player, now that's just plain shameful for someone of Roddick's status. hence, yes that does indeed make sense  ;-()
Besides, this is more wishful thinking than not. what is more accurate is i'd like to make Roddick the favourite but despite everything you say about Nadal, I think as long as Nadal's not limping and is not on crutches, Roddick can book his ticket home.. to save face  :rofl_2:

youzhny ranked #20 destroyed him 0 and 1 and lost just 3 points on his first serve in the first set. youzhny does not have 1/2 the serve roddick has.

you say "someone of roddick`s status". by that line of reasoning, both youzhny and moya must be gods. one killed him completely while the other--nearly 32 year old--kept him on the court for 4 hours.

look nadal is not doing very good these days. it wont take much for somebody to beat him here. the poor fellow has lost some fitness and that is one thing he cannot do without. he has not recovered from his knee issues and both were hurting at one time and he was ordered off the courts for 35 days which set him back. and he says that he is not able to run in training. it is just going to take some time for him to get going again.

so beating a down and out injured player is hardly saving face. ferrer destroyed him twice this year. that was the time to save face. he did not have to beat fed to be in the semis in shanghai and further, fed didnt need to win that match to be in semis either. he still got destroyed. that was the time to save face.

i would like nothing better than to see roddick bring home a slam and run over federer in teh process and get that monkey off his back. i just dont see that happening.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2008, 12:31:39 AM »
Fed has a potential trickier but one he'll still come through easy enough with Santoro or Isner awaiting Fed. Roger will be pleased though looking down his draw. Djoko has got the toughest section of the draw so he's going to have to play some brilliant tennis to go really deep here. Murray's got a toughie first round against Tsonga but if he comes through that he looks good for at least the 4th round and a potential showdown with Gasquet there. Rafa hasn't got a bad draw either and he should really be expecting to get to at least the 4th down and a possible meeting with Moya, and then possibly A-Rod in the quarter finals, that's one I'd look forward to if both guys make it to the quarters.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #206 on: January 11, 2008, 12:32:51 AM »
herc... you are saying people would not be impressed with Andy beating the number 2 player in the world.. especially after their match in IW?

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2008, 12:48:46 AM »
herc... you are saying people would not be impressed with Andy beating the number 2 player in the world.. especially after their match in IW?

you obviously didnt read the last post bgt but no problem. i will see if i can elaborate. he was not injured back then. he would later have petellar tendinitis in both knees which was very painful for him and he was ordered off the courts for 35 days for complete rest. he has struggled terribly since montreal where he said that he was not able to move well because of the pain in one knee. he would get to new york and injure his second knee while practicing with murray.

do you really honestly believe he is #2 when he is kept on the court for 4 hours by an aging 32 year old moya who really has no weapons to speak off other than fitness and a solid forehand.

and how about youzhny demolishing him 0  and 1. was that a #2 ranked player to you? fed raked him over the coals in shanghai and nalby demolished him not once but twice. once in a final where nadal is usually the toughest. he has never suffered these type of losses before. not even when he was a kid playing the pros.

so to answer your question, he is not #2 right now in real terms. certainly not on hard courts.

like i said before, i am worried about him. when he left chennai, he said that he was just glad to be leaving without an injury. that is how much he has been plagued by injuries. and now having lost some fitness, he is more vulnerable to injuries like thigh strains or even recurring knee issues.

i will just be happy for him win 3-4 matches here and get the hell out of here without any injuries and keep working on his fitness and his game for the upcoming clay season.

and one last thing. indian wells hard courts are really slow. these courts here are speed rated to be faster than wimby grass. in short, the courts are significantly faster than last year.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:57:36 AM by hercules »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2008, 12:52:58 AM »

Im with pawan here its time for Murray 2 step up if thay meet.Murray said after Doha he in the best shape of his life,in Doha he looked good,maybe he is right.When he lost to safin @ Kooyong he said he was jet laged,After winning Doha i think we can take this as true.For Murray & if he beats Tsonga who has a bomb of a serve,i think he has a good draw.Murray seems to like it here,he sure gave Nadal a good match last year.If Doha is anything to go by Murrays serve is looking much better.I pray for big things from Murray this year,please no 2007 :// with things like his wrist.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2008, 01:05:42 AM »

I know, but honestly, I have seen Nadal's hard court game go down instead of improving (just my opinion)... I mean, no matter what the surface when Nadal became "Nadal", you never saw these 6-1, 6-2, 6-0 sets given out now by so many of his opponents on hard courts!  So sure, people can say Nadal has improved in his game (and he has to a certain extent), but on hardcourt - seems like he was playing better in the past than he is now.  Again, just my opinion.

Hi Dallas a lot think Nadal has no chance by the sounds of things here.Me id never wright off Nadal in a 5 set matches.Roddick looking good from Kooyong,but if he faces Nadal its no cake walk.It seems each year we here its Nadals knees or some thing,but in 5 sets he still finds away to win most times.Lets not forget he is still no 2 in the world.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2008, 01:10:17 AM »

Quote from: Dimonator133 on Yesterday at 11:44:15 PM
2008 Aussie Open Draw Preview

it will take some time, but in my humble opinion worth a read. Should be grounds for some more good discussion if nothing else.

http://www.protennisblog.com/17.html

Good analysis Dimonator...

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2008, 01:45:34 AM »

it will take some time, but in my humble opinion worth a read. Should be grounds for some more good discussion if nothing else.

Great read that there on players.
thx :)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2008, 01:56:57 AM »

you obviously didnt read the last post bgt but no problem. i will see if i can elaborate. he was not injured back then. he would later have petellar tendinitis in both knees which was very painful for him and he was ordered off the courts for 35 days for complete rest. he has struggled terribly since montreal where he said that he was not able to move well because of the pain in one knee. he would get to new york and injure his second knee while practicing with murray.

do you really honestly believe he is #2 when he is kept on the court for 4 hours by an aging 32 year old moya who really has no weapons to speak off other than fitness and a solid forehand.

and how about youzhny demolishing him 0  and 1. was that a #2 ranked player to you? fed raked him over the coals in shanghai and nalby demolished him not once but twice. once in a final where nadal is usually the toughest. he has never suffered these type of losses before. not even when he was a kid playing the pros.

so to answer your question, he is not #2 right now in real terms. certainly not on hard courts.

like i said before, i am worried about him. when he left chennai, he said that he was just glad to be leaving without an injury. that is how much he has been plagued by injuries. and now having lost some fitness, he is more vulnerable to injuries like thigh strains or even recurring knee issues.

i will just be happy for him win 3-4 matches here and get the hell out of here without any injuries and keep working on his fitness and his game for the upcoming clay season.

and one last thing. indian wells hard courts are really slow. these courts here are speed rated to be faster than wimby grass. in short, the courts are significantly faster than last year.

Who's #2?

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2008, 01:59:32 AM »

Who's #2?

i said "in real terms", he is hardly #2 on hard courts right now. are you even reading these posts? dont make me hurt you.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2008, 02:00:57 AM »

I just read it. Great job Dimonator. I really liked your analysis.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2008, 02:11:48 AM »

Who's #2?

i said "in real terms", he is hardly #2 on hard courts right now. are you even reading these posts? dont make me hurt you.

:rofl_2:

Yes, I read the post. I'll be happy if Rafa can leave Melbourne with no injuries, but I would still be happy for Andy for beating just his 4th top 10 player at a slam.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2008, 11:59:33 AM »
Dang, Fed's draw does not look easy!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline JadeFox21

• Tennis God
« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »

It was a good analysis and totally true.  Roddick and Nadal got it easy.
Addicted to the Fed Express

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2008, 12:09:50 PM »

You always say that.  His quarter is a piece of cake.   Dream draw pretty much until the semis.   The only concern is he might have it too easy until the semis and not be as match sharp.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »

You always say that.  His quarter is a piece of cake.   Dream draw pretty much until the semis.   The only concern is he might have it too easy until the semis and not be as match sharp.

agreed. i was thinking the same way. its almost too easy. #13 is in the bag. you can make book on it. newer surface makes him even more formidable here.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:33:38 PM by hercules »