Author Topic: ATP - 2008 AO Thread  (Read 188121 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: ATP - 2008 AO Thread
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2008, 01:46:38 PM »
Seems like a lot of great matches on tap for Monday... (now if I can just get the time straight because their Monday is my Sunday, right?) :confused1:

Anyway, any more word on Nalbandian's back?

Nalbandian too? I just heard Federer and Djokovic are less than 100%. I imagine whatever ails Roger is relatively minor and Djokovic's injury (back) not that surprising--it seems to follow him around.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2008, 01:57:58 PM »
Seems like a lot of great matches on tap for Monday... (now if I can just get the time straight because their Monday is my Sunday, right?) :confused1:

You must be about 18 hours different to Melbourne??
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2008, 03:06:53 PM »

Nalbandian too? I just heard Federer and Djokovic are less than 100%. I imagine whatever ails Roger is relatively minor and Djokovic's injury (back) not that surprising--it seems to follow him around.

Yes, he dropped out of Kooyong because he was having back spasms pretty badly and couldn't even practice for a while.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2008, 03:08:06 PM »
The weather looks good for the tournament. Nothing extreme for the next 10 days.

Here's the link:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/ASXX0075?from=36hr_topnav_business

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2008, 03:09:27 PM »

Let's see.  They say it's 8:08 a.m. (Sunday) in Melbourne and it's 3:08 p.m. (Saturday) in Dallas.  This extreme time difference always causes me headaches!!!!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2008, 03:18:23 PM »

Let's see.  They say it's 8:08 a.m. (Sunday) in Melbourne and it's 3:08 p.m. (Saturday) in Dallas.  This extreme time difference always causes me headaches!!!!

Oh you're 6 behing us then, so that'll make you 17 behind Melbourne, certainly a few headaches for you over the next couple of weeks, firstly with the calculations, nextly with your loss of sleep and late nights  :))

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2008, 03:21:18 PM »

Oh you're 6 behing us then, so that'll make you 17 behind Melbourne, certainly a few headaches for you over the next couple of weeks, firstly with the calculations, nextly with your loss of sleep and late nights  :))

I know.  I have been off work since December 21st and I go back on Monday but I wish I were off another 2 weeks!  I'm going to be so tired at work from staying up late watching matches!  Oh well... I'll be depending on you guys to keep me posted in case I miss some things from being just too tired or sleepy! :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #267 on: January 12, 2008, 03:27:27 PM »

I know.  I have been off work since December 21st and I go back on Monday but I wish I were off another 2 weeks!  I'm going to be so tired at work from staying up late watching matches!  Oh well... I'll be depending on you guys to keep me posted in case I miss some things from being just too tired or sleepy! :rofl_2:

Thats unlucky for you to have all that time off but to have to return first day of the Aussie  :Confused: but rest assured we'll definitely be keeping you updated with everything on here! I've booked the 2nd week off so I can spend most the nights up, as Friday night onwards I'm done with work until the Monday after Melbourne  :king:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #268 on: January 12, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »

Thats unlucky for you to have all that time off but to have to return first day of the Aussie  :Confused: but rest assured we'll definitely be keeping you updated with everything on here! I've booked the 2nd week off so I can spend most the nights up, as Friday night onwards I'm done with work until the Monday after Melbourne  :king:

Allright then!  Way to go Chris! :grind dance:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #269 on: January 12, 2008, 06:00:01 PM »
Countdown to 2008 Australian Open
                                             Melbourne Time
1 : 00 : 00 : 00                             11:00 am

days : hr : min : sec 
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #270 on: January 12, 2008, 06:05:33 PM »
Great, I'll beable to catch a few matches before bedtime during the week.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2008, 06:06:52 PM »
Back here after a week away and in time for the AO  :)) . A surprising number of players seem either to be falling by the wayside or developing injuries  :( .

It would maximise my enjoyment if Andy Roddick, with his own particular game, dropped out early but he's evidently been playing it well and I expect him to get as far as the quarters  :gleam: .  However, there will be plenty of other people to watch .  I won't be getting much  :ZZZZZ) . I'd like to see the other Andy do well  :) .  Take it from me who saw Isner in Washington. He won't go very far  :\.

I'm playing with friends tomorrow. That will be good. Even after a week away, the bones start getting rusty.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #272 on: January 12, 2008, 06:17:41 PM »
Back here after a week away and in time for the AO  :)) . A surprising number of players seem either to be falling by the wayside or developing injuries  :( .

It would maximise my enjoyment if Andy Roddick, with his own particular game, dropped out early but he's evidently been playing it well and I expect him to get as far as the quarters  :gleam: .  However, there will be plenty of other people to watch .  I won't be getting much  :ZZZZZ) . I'd like to see the other Andy do well  :)Take it from me who saw Isner in Washington. He won't go very far  :\.

I'm playing with friends tomorrow. That will be good. Even after a week away, the bones start getting rusty.

lol 

I don't think you have to have been in Washington to know he wasn't getting past 2R.

Have fun playing tomorrow. I'll be jealous.  :)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #273 on: January 12, 2008, 06:26:19 PM »
Hmm... does time suddenly seem to be dragging more slowly for anyone else since the draw was announced? Seems like days since it was announced and Monday's not here yet :(

I agree. Somewhat a drag it seems like. But make the most of the tension build up cuz once the AO starts its all going to be a hurricane and you won't even now how it happened but you'll be looking at TMC again and surprised that a whole year went by like *snap*

pawan i just noticed that you are at 3085 posts. impressive. you could be on my heels if i slack up.

not even close herc, not even close. You were saying you'd be off for a while with your biking, but i am going to be pretty much off through april and some of may with college, this is a big semester for me, toughest to date, and i need to step it up, i have been slacking so far and this is the semester for me to prove something, a little personal challenge, and i am afraid this is going to have to take a back seat. How i am going to do that, I don't even know, I am pretty much addicted to tennis and this place so I might still be here way too much but I am pretty sure the post rate's going to take a step down. Now.. untill the 22nd  :whistle: you never know  :)), so don't slack off!

i will be slacking off after the australian open for a couple of months due to my intense, superhuman training. that means going to bed early and not staying up too late. damas, osu, swish, dallas, and the others will have keep things going like they always do.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #274 on: January 12, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »

you know they show encores of the matches during the daytime.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #275 on: January 12, 2008, 07:37:24 PM »
The only problem is espn has a tendency to televise matches featuring american players instead of the best matches that take place.  As much as I like people like Roddick and Blake and hope they do well, I'd rather watch the most interesting matchups even if the players aren't the highest seeds.
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #276 on: January 12, 2008, 07:47:57 PM »

I'm going to have to scrap around. Maybe get someone to record a few matches for me. Then there's the video section, usually a few of the popular matches there.
Online there's a few sites but no scheduling, just what happens to be there.
With all this stuff I can get by and of course if all else fails I read post match articles and a few interviews.
Then there's posts on the forum here and other places that have analysis.

That's all of the fun of tennis.

Sure beats the last month of talking to tennis addicts in withdrawal(myself included). :)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2008, 08:55:29 PM »
The only problem is espn has a tendency to televise matches featuring american players instead of the best matches that take place.  As much as I like people like Roddick and Blake and hope they do well, I'd rather watch the most interesting matchups even if the players aren't the highest seeds.

Yes, very annoying to the hard-core fan. I'm interested to see how TTC handles coverage. I'd love to see them leave Federer or Henin and show a real battle instead. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.  :)

Offline barbadosan

• Tennis God
« Reply #278 on: January 12, 2008, 08:56:14 PM »

I'm going to have to scrap around. Maybe get someone to record a few matches for me. Then there's the video section, usually a few of the popular matches there.
Online there's a few sites but no scheduling, just what happens to be there.
With all this stuff I can get by and of course if all else fails I read post match articles and a few interviews.
Then there's posts on the forum here and other places that have analysis.

That's all of the fun of tennis.

Sure beats the last month of talking to tennis addicts in withdrawal(myself included). :)

:hysterical: :not worthy: :thumbs-up:

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #279 on: January 13, 2008, 12:02:52 AM »
ok. i just viewed a pic of Baghdatis practicing. And while the pic wasn't a full body shot, he looks heavier than Nabladian used to look like. Sheesh.

I wonder if he lost weight would he get better or worse. Maybe the weight adds something to his shots.