Author Topic: ATP - 2008 AO Thread  (Read 191351 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: ATP - 2008 AO Thread
« Reply #4080 on: January 27, 2008, 06:36:26 AM »
Djoko has done it! 7/6 in the 4th for his first Grand Slam title, very well done to him and his supporters like Alex  :)

Thank you so much Chris. I'm the happiest man in the world now. although I"m 39 yo I feel like crying right now  :rofl_2:

I know all about the crying in moments like this so if you do you're with me  :)
I know, Maria and Novak. They would be a nice couple IMHO  :rofl_2:

Nah wouldn't like to see that  :)) Maria needs to keep all her focus and attention on the court after all the hardwork she's put in these last few months to get where she ia now :)

Djoko deserved this one big time today after the last 12 months and his win over Fed!
I was just kidding as you know :-). Novak has a very pretty girlfriend. It's cool that him and Maria are very good friends.

I didn't realise Djoko had a girlfriend, thats good for him somebody at the sport because thats the best way to completely get away from tennis when you need to.  :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #4081 on: January 27, 2008, 06:37:40 AM »
Unless I missed it, noone mentioned how this thread ran right on by 200 pages!  :-o

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #4082 on: January 27, 2008, 06:41:39 AM »
Unless I missed it, noone mentioned how this thread ran right on by 200 pages!  :-o

Well, that's a good thing, isn't it?  :rofl_2:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #4083 on: January 27, 2008, 06:44:40 AM »

WOW, OSU, I just read the stats: AO ATP is nš1 thread and AO WTA is nš3 thread in T4Y history!!!

impressive!!! it was fun and cool!!! well done guys!!! 2 historic weeks!!!
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4084 on: January 27, 2008, 06:45:21 AM »
I was going to mention going past 4000 posts but knew with the Final in play it would soon be a page or 2 back. Amazing amount of posts in just 3 weeks  :)

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #4085 on: January 27, 2008, 06:51:52 AM »
This thread was like a raging fire with a good wind feeding it!      :rofl_2:   Especially during those amazing matches!   :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 06:52:24 AM by OSU Buckeye »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4086 on: January 27, 2008, 06:58:58 AM »
This thread was like a raging fire with a good wind feeding it!      :rofl_2:   Especially during those amazing matches!   :)

lol  :rofl_2: we had some amazing days and matches that have dramatically helped this thread and for a lot of us our post count. I know the day we went to 4:30am Melbourne time, with Fed going 5 vs Tipso and Hewitt vs Baggy going 5 we alid down about 40 pages alone that day, thats why I was able to get my record posts for a day  :)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #4087 on: January 27, 2008, 06:59:49 AM »
Ok, somebody pinch me please. Did Novak Djokovic just win his first GS?

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #4088 on: January 27, 2008, 07:00:58 AM »
Ok, somebody pinch me please. Did Novak Djokovic just win his first GS?

Pinch!   Yeah, I am pretty sure he did............unless I am mistaken by my lack of sleep!?   :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4089 on: January 27, 2008, 07:02:29 AM »
What are you on about? did you not just see that Federer beat Youzhny in 3 straight sets, pretty boring in the end but Fed has his 13th Slam!  :)~

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #4090 on: January 27, 2008, 07:06:46 AM »
Djokovic never lost a match in GS when he won his first set (28:0), so first set will be very important for Novak.

he lost first set and he won first GS title!!!  :) Congrats Alex!!  :thumbs-up:
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #4091 on: January 27, 2008, 07:07:44 AM »
What are you on about? did you not just see that Federer beat Youzhny in 3 straight sets, pretty boring in the end but Fed has his 13th Slam!  :)~

Yeah...Federer beat Youzhny with 6-1 6-0 6-2..nothing special here?  :whistle:
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #4092 on: January 27, 2008, 07:08:17 AM »
That was the only set he lost right?   Well done to Tsonga for being the only one to take 1 from him.  

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #4093 on: January 27, 2008, 07:09:26 AM »
Ok folks i would love 2 know how the ranking points are for both these guys,anyone know how thay both stand now?
thx
sid :)
Djokovic is still #3 with 5130 points. Tsonga is going to be #17 or #18. I don't think we ever had 3 top players with over 5000 points.

I know - the rest of the top 10 has like 1000-2000 pts per player.  The top 3 are eating everything up.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #4094 on: January 27, 2008, 07:16:00 AM »
Djokovic never lost a match in GS when he won his first set (28:0), so first set will be very important for Novak.

Thanks Conchita. The only problem here is I feel as if I won an Australian Open 2008,  :rofl_2:, It's great tho (although I just happen to be Novak's fan). Love you all

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #4095 on: January 27, 2008, 07:18:35 AM »
Leaving all the complains aside.. Djoker deserved the win... Congrats...  :))

Yes indeed. All complaints of arrogance and gamesmanship aside, This was a well earned well deserved slam for Djokovic. He's been pretty much the only confident player on tour besides Federer over the last year (and coincidentally, these two are the ones labelled arrogant.. maybe the lack of confident positive speaking players is really that bad that any hint of confidence becomes arrogance now). he's been fighting, believing in himself. he went through hewitt (in australia), an in form Ferrer who's been playing fantastic since last USO and then the man Federer himself and a hot Tsonga.

well earned, well deserved champion, Djokovic.

Yep, he's proved he's the real deal by not only beating Fed but then backing it up in the final. I think Djokovic will reach No.2 by the end of the year. Only by Nadal improving on HC can he prevent that, which doesn't seem likely. Djokovic will be No.1 one day, I expect. The biggest difference today was Djokovic's more consistent play. Tsonga had the greater power but played a few too many loose games after his amazing first set. This was the type of sloppy play that we were used to seeing from Tsonga before he went on a tear at this event. He has a big game though and a great attitude - hope he won't disappear like previous surprise AO finalists. I noticed he wasn't as good at the net today as he was against Nadal when he couldn't miss. Djokovic has a very well-rounded game; he doesn't kill you with one particular shot but makes it very difficult for you by being very good in all areas. He has sufficient power but not overwhelming, and has already proved that he can be a threat on all surfaces.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #4096 on: January 27, 2008, 07:19:49 AM »

Thanks Conchita. The only problem here is I feel as if I won an Australian Open 2008,  :rofl_2:, It's great tho (although I just happen to be Novak's fan). Love you all

You could have..........I did!   Get yourself into the Pick Em games!   ;-()

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #4097 on: January 27, 2008, 07:22:16 AM »

Yes a big congratulations to Djoko and you.
Also a congratulations to this thread, as it got to like 203 with serious talks. (dont count the crapsmack  :lmao:)
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #4098 on: January 27, 2008, 07:27:03 AM »
Last minute thoughts after breakfast and going for more sleep:

The final was good but not great. The most exciting match that I would not have missed and am most glad I caught live, was Nadal-Tsonga one largely because of the latter's spectacular shots and hyper-enthusiastic game. J-Willy was noticeably tired, tense, and restrained in the final, doubtless feeling the pressure, unaccustomed as he was to Djoko's game and on-court manner. But he did take that set off him and if it had gone to five, still had a chance. I hope we see lots more of him.

It's great to have a new slam champion at last in the form of Djokovic.  He is the genuine article alright. The AO will be remembered for the stellar Serbian participation and the less than stellar US contribution, although Blake did pretty well and looks to me like the top US singles player in the big matches now (even in Davis Cup). But age is catching up, and most of all, one sensed the transition to the younger generation with all that top talent in their early twenties.

It's going to be a fun year.

:ZZZZZ)

edit: I forgot Hewitt-Baghdatis  :lmao: . That probably won the "joy in tennis" award  :)) . I had to watch that one until the end.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 07:30:05 AM by euroka1 »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #4099 on: January 27, 2008, 08:13:10 AM »
Reading L'Equipe and french press I should say Tsonga is new nš1 for french fans. Jo-W clearly overtakes Richie!!!
"Jo-W is the future of french tennis" says Le Monde. :)