Author Topic: ATP - 2008 AO Thread  (Read 187127 times)

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
Re: ATP - 2008 AO Thread
« Reply #4100 on: January 27, 2008, 09:08:48 AM »
It just seemed after the first set Djoko was squeezing Tsonga slowly and putting him under more and more pressure.  Anyway, congrats to Djoko on this win and you too Alex and NoleDjoke.  Its nice to see him get a slam.   :applause: :applause:  If he can derail Nadal at Wimbledon somehow, I see him becoming #2 before this year is done.  Djoko also played some great competition, Hewitt, Ferrer, Federer, and now Tsonga.  Hopefully, he'll stay injury free and do well this year. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 10:44:15 AM by alchemist »
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline NoleDjoke

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #4101 on: January 27, 2008, 10:35:20 AM »
Djokovic never lost a match in GS when he won his first set (28:0), so first set will be very important for Novak.

he lost first set and he won first GS title!!!  :) Congrats Alex!!  :thumbs-up:

Thanks Conchita. The only problem here is I feel as if I won an Australian Open 2008,  :rofl_2:, It's great tho (although I just happen to be Novak's fan). Love you all

I'm soooo happy for djokovic!!  :)) but a little sad that AO is over. No more GS matches to chase.. till FO.. But yea. Nole totally deserves this, glad I stood by him throughout despite even my own peers at home betting (for drinks) against me.. He's been playing well throughout the tournament, and I believe he will continue to do so the following GS to come. He's young and talented. WELL DONE NOLE!  :)) :)) :)) :))
Outdo the outdone.

Offline Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #4102 on: January 27, 2008, 10:40:59 AM »
Djokovic never lost a match in GS when he won his first set (28:0), so first set will be very important for Novak.

he lost first set and he won first GS title!!!  :) Congrats Alex!!  :thumbs-up:

Thanks Conchita. The only problem here is I feel as if I won an Australian Open 2008,  :rofl_2:, It's great tho (although I just happen to be Novak's fan). Love you all

I'm soooo happy for djokovic!!  :)) but a little sad that AO is over. No more GS matches to chase.. till FO.. But yea. Nole totally deserves this, glad I stood by him throughout despite even my own peers at home betting (for drinks) against me.. He's been playing well throughout the tournament, and I believe he will continue to do so the following GS to come. He's young and talented. WELL DONE NOLE!  :)) :)) :)) :))

Congrats NoleDjoke and Alex999   :king:  :winner:

Yes, between ESPN and TC, the coverage has been phenomenal. I, too, will miss 2008 AO  :applause:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #4103 on: January 27, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »
Bravo Nole majstore!!!
I'm so happy about Djoko and Zimonjic, I hope that Ana will win a Grand Slam next time

Congratulations to you as well miticfam, Novak has done your country really proud with the countries first ever Singles Grand Slam title  :)

Thanks Chris! We are really, really proud!!!
Alex999 and NoleDjoke, lets celebrate for this fenomenal tournament for our country!

FEDERER THE GOAT, 16 GSs, Career Slam, 21 GS finals, 23! consecutive GS SFs
My favs: Federer, Djokovic, DelPotro, Haas, Ana, Henin:)

Offline Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #4104 on: January 27, 2008, 10:58:26 AM »
Bravo Nole majstore!!!
I'm so happy about Djoko and Zimonjic, I hope that Ana will win a Grand Slam next time

Congratulations to you as well miticfam, Novak has done your country really proud with the countries first ever Singles Grand Slam title  :)

Alex999 and NoleDjoke, lets celebrate for this fenomenal tournament for our country!

Sorry to leave you out, miticfam!

Remember, the vast majority of Federer fans only became so after he started winning slam title. But I know what it's like to be a fan of a player before his breakthrough -- it's that much SWHEETER!!!!

:toot:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline NoleDjoke

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #4105 on: January 27, 2008, 11:05:48 AM »
Bravo Nole majstore!!!

Sorry to leave you out, miticfam!

Remember, the vast majority of Federer fans only became so after he started winning slam title. But I know what it's like to be a fan of a player before his breakthrough -- it's that much SWHEETER!!!!
:toot:

Right you are!  :))  But it's ok, miticfam. As Nole said in the closing.. he still loves you and all those back in serbia.  :)

"I'm so proud of course with myself in the first place but then to be the first Serbian who won the Grand Slam title, I think it's a crazy house back in Serbia and thankyou (to) my country.

"I love you guys if you're watching."

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2008-01-27/200801271201437643896.html
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:11:29 AM by NoleDjoke »
Outdo the outdone.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #4106 on: January 27, 2008, 11:31:13 AM »
Just got on line.  Saw the score.

Congratulations to: ALEX, NOLEDJOE AND MITICFAM.... Your boy is the 2008 Australian Open Champion. :thumbs-up: :trampoline: :applause: :not worthy: :not worthy:

I haven't seen the match.  I'm watching the replay  now.  Also, congrats to all the Tsonga fans for him coming this far in the tournament.

Well, another grand slam tournament is over.  It was kind of fun having only this 1 tournament going on.  Now we have to get use to having a million small tournaments going on at the same time.. :rofl_2:

Anyway, it was "strange" not having Roger in a final, but I know a lot of folks were 'happy' to see new blood in a final so you got your wish. ;-() (hopefully that's enough for the year) :innocent: :innocent:

So the battle for the top 3 positions began in earnest for 2008.  It's going to be interesting to see how they eventually end up. 

And since I can't end a post without something about Roger.... I hope fans and players are not underestimating him or thinking he's 'done' for the year.  I have a feeling Roger is going to come back strong and hungry which should make this year very interesting indeed! (and by the way, I was a Roger fan when he hadn't won a thing back in 2000!) :)~

But to end this post on a positive note:  again, Congratulations to all the Djokovic fans on board and it really is good to have favorites of many players on this board (and I really do mean this)... so keep posting about your guy and enjoy the celebrating!)...  you deserve it.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #4107 on: January 27, 2008, 11:50:12 AM »
This is going to be so interesting.
Novak got the monkey off his back, congrats to Novak and Alex!!

The interesting part:

When Novak plays Fed now, they will play as equals, no more is Fed's aura going to get him some free points.

The next match should be with both players at full abilities and the true competition begins. This match ( the AO) was just the prelude.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #4108 on: January 27, 2008, 11:52:53 AM »

The interesting part:

When Novak plays Fed now, they will play as equals, no more is Fed's aura going to get him some free points. The next match should be with both players at full abilities and the true competition begins. This match ( the AO) was just the prelude.

I think Roger's justified having that 'aura' with what he's done, don't you think? :innocent:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #4109 on: January 27, 2008, 11:54:46 AM »

The interesting part:

When Novak plays Fed now, they will play as equals, no more is Fed's aura going to get him some free points. The next match should be with both players at full abilities and the true competition begins. This match ( the AO) was just the prelude.

I think Roger's justified having that 'aura' with what he's done, don't you think? :innocent:

Of course he's justified, but don't ask me ask Novak.   :)

Offline retro

• Tennis God
« Reply #4110 on: January 27, 2008, 11:55:07 AM »
I just realized something:
2005 French Open was the first time Americans got their first look of Novak and Tsonga.
Novak retired against Coria because of breathing problems
Tsonga lost to Roddick in round 1
 :)
I lost the will to live mid way through the first set!
 ~*Supernova*~   from wtaworld.com

Victoria Azarenka d. Kaia Kanepi 7-6(5) 6-3
May 7, 2009

Offline Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #4111 on: January 27, 2008, 12:13:49 PM »
I just realized something:
2005 French Open was the first time Americans got their first look of Novak and Tsonga.
Novak retired against Coria because of breathing problems
Tsonga lost to Roddick in round 1
 :)

Damn, retro, every time I see your av, I can't help but assume you have bad news to report... even if you end it with a  :)

:rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #4112 on: January 27, 2008, 12:14:36 PM »
Watching the replay of the match and in the 2cnd set Mary Carillo was talking about how Djoko's family are wearing the shirts that spell out NOLE and his younger brother was not standing up on great points in his last match.  Carillo then talked of how the mother was yelling at her kid to make him stand up to complete the NOLE as he was the "L".  Then she joked that the mother was saying where the "L" were you?   :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:     Horribly cheesy joke but it had me laughing.    

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #4113 on: January 27, 2008, 12:22:17 PM »
Talk about a parent putting pressure on her son:

Djokovic's mom said:

"As you say, the king is dead. Long live the (new) king," Djokovic's mother, Dijana, told FOXSports.com

I guess someone should just tell Roger and Nadal to retire now! :innocent:

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/7726158/Djokovic-keeps-cool-to-win-his-first-major

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #4114 on: January 27, 2008, 12:23:55 PM »
Just finished watching the AO final.
Some great tennis. Who says we need a Federer or Nadal in a final to make a tournament good (before you jump on this Babs, I spoke from the media's perspective when I talked about Federer's loss)?
Solid ball striking from both sides. Tsonga seemed to be a bit too relaxed during some of the points.
These two players are amazingly different. Djokovic is rock solid on nearly every stroke. Forehand, backhand and serve. Each stroke is intensly struck and hit with intent. He is focused and intense thruout.
Tsonga is relaxed and fluid. He flicks the racquet through his shots and doesn't seem to invest much in his strokes.
In the end Djokovic's focus and weight of shot was the difference in the match. He belonged and he knew it. Tsonga had the belief until he got broke in the second set, then reality set in. He played loose, which is what he needs to do. But unfocused, without purpose. End of match.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #4115 on: January 27, 2008, 12:24:07 PM »
Talk about a parent putting pressure on her son:

Djokovic's mom said:

"As you say, the king is dead. Long live the (new) king," Djokovic's mother, Dijana, told FOXSports.com

And another one:

I knew he could do it," Dijana said. "He was so mentally strong. At the U.S. Open, when he played Federer, he was playing the king. He's only 20 (years old playing) in front of 23,000 people. He was shaky and didn't take the many opportunities he had. But when that was over, my husband told him, 'you'll never lose to Federer again if you get more mature.'"

I guess someone should just tell Roger and Nadal to retire now! :innocent:  Roger - if you're reading this, you'll never beat Djokovic again - ever - never - ever!  Uhm... interesting...

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/7726158/Djokovic-keeps-cool-to-win-his-first-major

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #4116 on: January 27, 2008, 12:24:51 PM »
Djokovic's mom said:

I guess someone should just tell Roger and Nadal to retire now! :innocent:

can not believe she said the king is dead!!! 

(Roger 12 GS titles!! and Nadal 3!!!)
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #4117 on: January 27, 2008, 12:25:51 PM »
Watching the replay of the match and in the 2cnd set Mary Carillo was talking about how Djoko's family are wearing the shirts that spell out NOLE and his younger brother was not standing up on great points in his last match.  Carillo then talked of how the mother was yelling at her kid to make him stand up to complete the NOLE as he was the "L".  Then she joked that the mother was saying where the "L" were you?   :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:     Horribly cheesy joke but it had me laughing.    

Surpising they mentioned the "nole" shirt thing. I mean it's not like they didn't talk about that stunt line 5 times each match. ..-)

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #4118 on: January 27, 2008, 12:28:39 PM »
Some great tennis. Who says we need a Federer or Nadal in a final to make a tournament good (before you jump on this Babs, I spoke from the media's perspective when I talked about Federer's loss)?
Solid ball striking from both sides. Tsonga seemed to be a bit too relaxed during some of the points.
These two players are amazingly different. Djokovic is rock solid on nearly every stroke. Forehand, backhand and serve. Each stroke is intensly struck and hit with intent. He is focused and intense thruout.
Tsonga is relaxed and fluid. He flicks the racquet through his shots and doesn't seem to invest much in his strokes.
In the end Djokovic's focus and weight of shot was the difference in the match. He belonged and he knew it. Tsonga had the belief until he got broke in the second set, then reality set in. He played loose, which is what he needs to do. But unfocused, without purpose. End of match.

The problem with not having Nadal or Federer in a final is that - sure, the match was fantastic - but the media don't know these 2 players and I've heard less about the AO in the world media than any other year almost!  I got up to see who won and ESPN had a little blurb saying Djokovic won (but didn't even mention the scores or anything).  In the ESPN News they had about 5 minutes of Tiger Woods leading in this golf tournament and about .25 seconds about the AO.  You know tennis would have gotten more publicity if Federer or Nadal had been in the finals - even if they had lost.  Heck, I picked up my sport paper the day Roger lost and the biggest headline I have ever seen on tennis was that Roger lost.  Like them or not... we need their names right now to continue to publicize tennis.  Golf wouldn't be "golf" if Tiger wasn't in the mix - whether he wins or loses...golf needs him just like until the world get to know all the Djokovics, and Tsongas... tennis need Nadal and Federer.  (Just my opinion)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #4119 on: January 27, 2008, 12:36:56 PM »

The problem with not having Nadal or Federer in a final is that - sure, the match was fantastic - but the media don't know these 2 players and I've heard less about the AO in the world media than any other year almost!  I got up to see who won and ESPN had a little blurb saying Djokovic won (but didn't even mention the scores or anything).  In the ESPN News they had about 5 minutes of Tiger Woods leading in this golf tournament and about .25 seconds about the AO.  You know tennis would have gotten more publicity if Federer or Nadal had been in the finals - even if they had lost.  Heck, I picked up my sport paper the day Roger lost and the biggest headline I have ever seen on tennis was that Roger lost.  Like them or not... we need their names right now to continue to publicize tennis.  Golf wouldn't be "golf" if Tiger wasn't in the mix - whether he wins or loses...golf needs him just like until the world get to know all the Djokovics, and Tsongas... tennis need Nadal and Federer.  (Just my opinion)

That's why I mentioned that then. I do think the media needs a famous name to really push an event. In htis final Djokovic was the biggest name, but he is not at all well known outside the tennis community. They don't know what to say, they don't know how to pronouce the names.
My hope is that we can have more finals like this (I'm sure that's not what you want to hear). Having more than 2 grand slam champions playing meaningfull matches is only a good thing.

An ambition fulfilled