Author Topic: ATP - 2008 AO Thread  (Read 190935 times)

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
Re: ATP - 2008 AO Thread
« Reply #4120 on: January 27, 2008, 12:43:10 PM »
Talk about a parent putting pressure on her son:

Djokovic's mom said:

"As you say, the king is dead. Long live the (new) king," Djokovic's mother, Dijana, told FOXSports.com

I guess someone should just tell Roger and Nadal to retire now! :innocent:

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/7726158/Djokovic-keeps-cool-to-win-his-first-major

That's just serious overconfidence by his mother.  I've never heard Djoko say Fed or Rafa are done.  Don't get me wrong, Djoko won and deserves to celebrate but it seems as if his mother is assuming Djoko will steamroll Fed and Rafa in the next 3 GS as well. 
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #4121 on: January 27, 2008, 12:43:54 PM »
Congraulations to NoleDjoke as well  :)

Really happy for Alex, Miticfam and NoleDjoke your guy has done you so very proud and deserves this title so much  :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4122 on: January 27, 2008, 12:48:05 PM »
Bravo Nole majstore!!!
I'm so happy about Djoko and Zimonjic, I hope that Ana will win a Grand Slam next time

Congratulations to you as well miticfam, Novak has done your country really proud with the countries first ever Singles Grand Slam title  :)

Thanks Chris! We are really, really proud!!!
Alex999 and NoleDjoke, lets celebrate for this fenomenal tournament for our country!

Sorry to leave you out, miticfam!

Remember, the vast majority of Federer fans only became so after he started winning slam title. But I know what it's like to be a fan of a player before his breakthrough -- it's that much SWHEETER!!!!

:toot:

Babblelot you summed up perfectly there why I get so terrified and worried before every match Maria plays and why when she wins it is the most incredible feeling in the world and why I get so happy and proud for/of Maria. As supporting her from when she was 15 with a world ranking of 158 when hardly anybody knew her makes everything she does so easy to cherrish. Also why after each Grand Slam victory I've got very emotional and just let it all out and cried quite a bit, and thats not me at all with anything else in life.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #4123 on: January 27, 2008, 12:50:05 PM »
Bravo Nole majstore!!!
I'm so happy about Djoko and Zimonjic, I hope that Ana will win a Grand Slam next time

Congratulations to you as well miticfam, Novak has done your country really proud with the countries first ever Singles Grand Slam title  :)

Alex999 and NoleDjoke, lets celebrate for this fenomenal tournament for our country!

Remember, the vast majority of Federer fans only became so after he started winning slam title. But I know what it's like to be a fan of a player before his breakthrough -- it's that much SWHEETER!!!!

Babblelot you summed up perfectly there why I get so terrified and worried before every match Maria plays and why when she wins it is the most incredible feeling in the world and why I get so happy and proud for/of Maria. As supporting her from when she was 15 with a world ranking of 158 when hardly anybody knew her makes everything she does so easy to cherrish. Also why after each Grand Slam victory I've got very emotional and just let it all out and cried quite a bit, and thats not me at all with anything else in life.

If you are already crying Chris, I cannot imagine what would happen if Maria wins Roland Garros this year.  You better tell your neighbors to buy a boat or something.   :rofl_2:
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4124 on: January 27, 2008, 01:01:06 PM »
Bravo Nole majstore!!!

If you are already crying Chris, I cannot imagine what would happen if Maria wins Roland Garros this year.  You better tell your neighbors to buy a boat or something.   :rofl_2:

:rofl_2: lol Yeah if Maria wins the French Open it could be advisable for the neighbours to go away for a few days at that time or to get a boat incase I sink them with emotion  :))

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #4125 on: January 27, 2008, 01:06:52 PM »
Talk about a parent putting pressure on her son:

Djokovic's mom said:

"As you say, the king is dead. Long live the (new) king," Djokovic's mother, Dijana, told FOXSports.com

I guess someone should just tell Roger and Nadal to retire now! :innocent:

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/7726158/Djokovic-keeps-cool-to-win-his-first-major

That's just serious overconfidence by his mother.  I've never heard Djoko say Fed or Rafa are done.  Don't get me wrong, Djoko won and deserves to celebrate but it seems as if his mother is assuming Djoko will steamroll Fed and Rafa in the next 3 GS as well. 

What do you think about the comment from Djokovic's father that he (Djokovic) will never lose to Roger Federer again?

Here's the comment:

I knew he could do it," Dijana said. "He was so mentally strong. At the U.S. Open, when he played Federer, he was playing the king. He's only 20 (years old playing) in front of 23,000 people. He was shaky and didn't take the many opportunities he had. But when that was over, my husband told him, 'you'll never lose to Federer again if you get more mature.'"

You don't think the parents are putting too much pressure on their kid with statements like this?  Whether the player said it or not, you know other players are going to use statements like this as bulletin board material.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4126 on: January 27, 2008, 01:11:23 PM »
Djokovic's mum isn't doing him any favours at all with silly comments like that and is just setting her son to be attacked real bad by some players. I know when somebody like Fed sees that its going to make him even more determined to put Djokovic in his place and silence his mothers comments. Wow he's won 1 Slam so far, he's not a multiple Slam winner like Fed who's one of the greats of the game, nor is he somebody who's won Slams at multiple places showing he can play well in all conditions and surfaces, so although this is fabulous for Djokovic and a fantastic achievement and i'm sure the first of a few Slams he's for sure got so much more to prove and win yet before any other conclusions can be made.

Offline retro

• Tennis God
« Reply #4127 on: January 27, 2008, 01:17:27 PM »
I'm not thru with Nadal vs Federer for the championship--well not on grass anyway. Nadal has been the only one to give Federer fits on his favorite surface and until someone else does it, I won't object to seeing Nadal in the Final. The outcome might determined but the tennis is electrifying nonetheless. :gleam:
I lost the will to live mid way through the first set!
 ~*Supernova*~   from wtaworld.com

Victoria Azarenka d. Kaia Kanepi 7-6(5) 6-3
May 7, 2009

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #4128 on: January 27, 2008, 01:18:22 PM »
His parents do tend to be somewhat cocky but I still have a lot of respect for that family.  They're from a country torn by warfare and saved up enough money from their restaurant to send Novak to train.  They deserve a lot of credit for believing in their son from an early age and convincing others to as well. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:19:05 PM by alchemist »

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #4129 on: January 27, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
Dallas, I really don't want to get in discussion about Novak's family. I don't know what was said. I just know that Djokovic is very respectful of both Roger and Nadal. I also know that Roger is still #1, Nadal in still #2. We should simply celebrate these 3 players as the most dominant players in tennis history.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #4130 on: January 27, 2008, 01:22:19 PM »
Bravo Nole majstore!!!

:rofl_2: :rofl_2:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #4131 on: January 27, 2008, 01:35:12 PM »
Thanks for all of you guys!!!
Now, about Djokovic's family interview, the king is not dead, he was just playing bad
Fed must realize that he is not alone anymore in the #1 race( i don't count Nadal because I think that he is not a treat to Fed), he must work hard and start playing like in 2006. for example.
In the end, Fed is one of my favourite players, I will always be for Djoko, when he plays with Fed, but I must admit that I like Fed's style of play more than Djoko's.  ://

FEDERER THE GOAT, 16 GSs, Career Slam, 21 GS finals, 23! consecutive GS SFs
My favs: Federer, Djokovic, DelPotro, Haas, Ana, Henin:)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #4132 on: January 27, 2008, 01:41:40 PM »
Dallas, I really don't want to get in discussion about Novak's family. I don't know what was said. I just know that Djokovic is very respectful of both Roger and Nadal. I also know that Roger is still #1, Nadal in still #2. We should simply celebrate these 3 players as the most dominant players in tennis history.
[/b]

I agree.  This is an exciting time but.... Don't want to bust your bubble and don't take it personally... but I think it's a little too soon to say Djokovic is one of the 3 most nominate players in tennis history - only because he hasn't done it as long as Roger and Nadal.  Let him continue this run for a while - then we might be able to put his name up there with the most dominant players in history.  Roger has earned it - Nadal has earned it.  Djokovic is just starting his run, I think.  Who knows, he may go down as the most dominant in history - but he has just started.  He doesn't have enough 'history' yet to put him up there yet with either Roger or Nadal. (Just my opinion) :) :))

But we're still cool.... and I hope all this negative talk about his parents, etc., don't take anything away from your celebrating your guy's first grand slam title!  It shouldn't because he deserved this title.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #4133 on: January 27, 2008, 01:44:26 PM »

Umm. Excuse me... but only one of those players has the stats to even dream of being considered in that league.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #4134 on: January 27, 2008, 01:49:16 PM »
[/b]

I agree.  This is an exciting time but.... Don't want to bust your bubble and don't take it personally... but I think it's a little too soon to say Djokovic is one of the 3 most nominate players in tennis history - only because he hasn't done it as long as Roger and Nadal.  Let him continue this run for a while - then we might be able to put his name up there with the most dominant players in history.  Roger has earned it - Nadal has earned it.  Djokovic is just starting his run, I think.  Who knows, he may go down as the most dominant in history - but he has just started.  He doesn't have enough 'history' yet to put him up there yet with either Roger or Nadal. (Just my opinion) :) :))

But we're still cool.... and I hope all this negative talk about his parents, etc., don't take anything away from your celebrating your guy's first grand slam title!  It shouldn't because he deserved this title.
Well said. When I was talking about '3 most dominant players' I was referring to their points. It's all good tho. Dallas, you are right, there is a long way to go for Novak to achieve what Federer and Nadal have achieved. Also, this is what Novak said after the match about Federer:

Afterward, Djokovic briefly addressed the "Federer question" and said he doesn't expect Roger to go anywhere.

"It's not possible that only one tournament is changing history," he said.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #4135 on: January 27, 2008, 01:52:26 PM »

Umm. Excuse me... but only one of those players has the stats to even dream of being considered in that league.

Yes it is Fed. I think I came across the wrong way. I meant to say something else. Sorry.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #4136 on: January 27, 2008, 01:55:28 PM »

Yes it is Fed. I think I came across the wrong way. I meant to say something else. Sorry.

No need to apologize. nice to see you return to the real world.  :innocent:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #4137 on: January 27, 2008, 01:56:36 PM »

I see what you meant when you said you were looking at the point totals.  Heck, Nadal could have been #1 in any other year with his totals.  So I do see what you were trying to say. ;-()

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #4138 on: January 27, 2008, 01:56:54 PM »

No need to apologize. nice to see you return to the real world.  :innocent:
Thank you,  :rofl_2:

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #4139 on: January 27, 2008, 02:07:55 PM »
[/b]

Totaly agree!
Now, back to celebration!

FEDERER THE GOAT, 16 GSs, Career Slam, 21 GS finals, 23! consecutive GS SFs
My favs: Federer, Djokovic, DelPotro, Haas, Ana, Henin:)