Author Topic: ATP - 2008 AO Thread  (Read 195507 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Australian Open
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2008, 09:32:34 AM »
Awesome picture of Serena... she does indeed look "well trim"  as we say here.

Court looks good too...

Thank goodness for the AO... what else is there at this time of year?!

:))
Ice-fishing! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2008, 02:18:31 PM »

Court looks good too...

Not in Australia! :nono:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »

Court looks good too...

Fly squatting then?
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2008, 02:39:23 PM »

Court looks good too...

Fly squatting then?

Now there's a sport that just doesn't get enough recognition. I think the chopstick event is just amazing!  :)~

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »

Court looks good too...

Fly squatting then?

Now there's a sport that just doesn't get enough recognition. I think the chopstick event is just amazing!  :)~

Thats a tough one, when I visit Australia one day do I go with the fly squatting or the chopstick event? both just fantastic sports that should be discussed and have so much more media coverage than they do right now  ;-()

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2008, 02:46:52 PM »

Court looks good too...

Fly squatting then?

Thats a tough one, when I visit Australia one day do I go with the fly squatting or the chopstick event? both just fantastic sports that should be discussed and have so much more media coverage than they do right now  ;-()

The only coverage I've seen was Pat Morita showing the karate kid how to do the chopstick technique.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »

Court looks good too...

Fly squatting then?

The only coverage I've seen was Pat Morita showing the karate kid how to do the chopstick technique.

You're lucky to have seen that, I keep searching through all the channels but none of them want to cover the fly squatting championships or chopstick event, its very disappointing for such prestigious events  :whistle:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2008, 05:13:34 PM »

Court looks good too...

Fly squatting then?

You know that's the Australian official salute, don't you!

Offline ThePAW

• Tennis God
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2008, 06:29:39 PM »

Court looks good too...

African Cup of Nations, World Snooker, Six Nations will start after the AO, Lots of Domestic Football - this time of year is great for sport  ://

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2008, 08:23:26 PM »
Can anyone answer this question without looking it up?

What is the capital of Australia?

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2008, 08:32:12 PM »

It's something like Canbera or something like that.  Don't really know how to spell it  I heard it during one of the AO broadcast last year or year before.  Why?

Offline thalivest

• Tennis God
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2008, 08:35:20 PM »

It's something like Canbera or something like that.  Don't really know how to spell it  I heard it during one of the AO broadcast last year or year before.  Why?

Canberra, you're missing an "r".

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2008, 08:41:29 PM »

Well at least I remembered! :))  Thanks for the spelling correction.  Now I'll always know how to spell it!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2008, 09:16:16 PM »

Because all of my life, up until now, I thought, I knew that the capital of Australia was Sydney. And on MTF, I learned it was Canberra. :hell-no: I swear to you al, that wasnever taught to me. In fact, it wasn't until I was 14 that I learned that Scotland and Ireland were two different places. Way to go American education system. :spot on: ..-)

Well at least I remembered! :))  Thanks for the spelling correction.  Now I'll always know how to spell it!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2008, 09:49:36 PM »

Because all of my life, up until now, I thought, I knew that the capital of Australia was Sydney. And on MTF, I learned it was Canberra. :hell-no: I swear to you al, that wasnever taught to me. In fact, it wasn't until I was 14 that I learned that Scotland and Ireland were two different places. Way to go American education system. :spot on: ..-)

Don't blame the education system, blame yourself. Geography is typically the subject least paid attention to, or liked. Just memorizing names, dates and places. I can speak from experience, I met one person from another country who asked me if Los Angeles was very close to New York City.
BTW, I didn't know the capital of Australia either, and I liked geography.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2008, 10:06:44 PM »

Don't blame the education system, blame yourself. Geography is typically the subject least paid attention to, or liked. Just memorizing names, dates and places. I can speak from experience, I met one person from another country who asked me if Los Angeles was very close to New York City.

I got straight A's in World Geography. We never got to Oceania so that's why I never learned it. We ran out of time. In fact, we had to teach ourselves Eastern Europe and Russia and Asia.

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2008, 10:08:10 AM »

I got straight A's in World Geography. We never got to Oceania so that's why I never learned it. We ran out of time. In fact, we had to teach ourselves Eastern Europe and Russia and Asia.

Sorry, but I have to agree with blackgirl on this. American education (when it comes to geography ONLY) sucks really. I think you are comparing 2 things that are not certainly equal. Scotland and Ireland are 2 different countries, whereas Los Angeles and NY City are just cities. You can't compare a person who thinks that 2 countries are 1, and another person thinks 1 city is near another in 1 country. As I already have said, I have met (not 1, but alot) of americans that when asked "Do you know where Spain is?" they answer "South of Mexico ain't it?" in fact somebody actually said Spain was in Africa. And as I said, not 1 but alot. And I think that Geography as you said dmas is the subject least paid attention to, but I think knowing where countries around the world are, is important. And the education system is to blame for that.

I didn't like Geography, but I can tell you where most of the countries are, and I had to look it up in sooo many places because it wasn't taught to me.

So, without even reading about it, can you tell me if Madrid is close to Barcelona? what about Valencia? or can you tell me if Stuttgart is close to Frankfurt? how about Frankfurt from Berlin? and Munich? And between Rome and Venice? or Paris to Florence? Insbruck to Zurich? See what I mean? cities within countries are different from thinking 2 countries are 1.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2008, 11:56:38 AM »
Federer and Henin will win the Australian Open.    I am so sure of it I would make a bet I cant post here until the start of the French Open if they dont.   

Offline ThePAW

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2008, 12:36:42 PM »
Federer and Henin will win the Australian Open.    I am so sure of it I would make a bet I cant post here until the start of the French Open if they dont.   

Go for it

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2008, 01:37:14 PM »

Sorry, but I have to agree with blackgirl on this. American education (when it comes to geography ONLY) sucks really. I think you are comparing 2 things that are not certainly equal. Scotland and Ireland are 2 different countries, whereas Los Angeles and NY City are just cities. You can't compare a person who thinks that 2 countries are 1, and another person thinks 1 city is near another in 1 country. As I already have said, I have met (not 1, but alot) of americans that when asked "Do you know where Spain is?" they answer "South of Mexico ain't it?" in fact somebody actually said Spain was in Africa. And as I said, not 1 but alot. And I think that Geography as you said dmas is the subject least paid attention to, but I think knowing where countries around the world are, is important. And the education system is to blame for that.

I didn't like Geography, but I can tell you where most of the countries are, and I had to look it up in sooo many places because it wasn't taught to me.

So, without even reading about it, can you tell me if Madrid is close to Barcelona? what about Valencia? or can you tell me if Stuttgart is close to Frankfurt? how about Frankfurt from Berlin? and Munich? And between Rome and Venice? or Paris to Florence? Insbruck to Zurich? See what I mean? cities within countries are different from thinking 2 countries are 1.

I have no idea. I have never been to Europe (in fact, I've neve left the country), so that may also be a reason why I don't know. I will tell you though that I know more about French and Belgian geography because when I studied French in school (for 8.5 years), we studied their maps. So I know Brussels is both the capital and in the center of Belgium. Lyon is about an hour and half southwest from Paris. Marseilles and Nice are on the southern coast. But I can't tell you anything about the other nations.