Author Topic: Those other 4 from the Nadal and Djokovic age group  (Read 3864 times)

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Re: Those other 4 from the Nadal and Djokovic age group
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 10:24:38 PM »
I think Murray has the best chance of these 4 to get better.    I have my doubts on all of Gasquet, Berdych, and Baghdatis.     However Gasquet and Baghdatis I still think could get better, Baghdatis maybe a bit more likely since he has even further to go.     Berdych I am close to giving no hope to at this point.   

bird man and the baggy man lack the mental toughness. gasquet just lacks fitness.

i think murray and gasquet are solid top 10 at this point while the other 2 are not. and both are only 20 so their future is clearly ahead of them. correct me on the age if i am wrong.

Gasquet is the same age as Nadal.   Both were born in 1986 and are now 21.    Murray is 20 like Djokovic, both were born in 1987.   Baghdatis and Berdych are the oldest, both were born in 1985 and are now 22.

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 01:28:57 AM »
Murrey: the best of the rest. Has the tools, but, in the past, has gotten down on himself, and takes his game down when he does so. He's been getting better, but now has to shake the injury bug to really achieve.

Gasquet: The most raw talent of the rest, but seems to have too many options, and no real game plan to take advantage of his talent. He can go away mentally as well, which can cost him. I still like his future though.

Bahgdatis: Scooter asks if he has peaked? I don't know if he has, but he's not adding anything to his game. He burst on the scene with flare and screaming Cypriots, but there hasn't been much to hope for since. Unless he gets to work on improving his game, he will become a journeyman.

Berdych: Does he have the stomach (litterally) for the tighter matches? Some raw talent, but I haven't seen him play enough to say if he has the stuff to be a top 10er.

Kudo's for that, I totally agree with you!
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 12:51:38 AM »
Murrey: the best of the rest. Has the tools, but, in the past, has gotten down on himself, and takes his game down when he does so. He's been getting better, but now has to shake the injury bug to really achieve.

Gasquet: The most raw talent of the rest, but seems to have too many options, and no real game plan to take advantage of his talent. He can go away mentally as well, which can cost him. I still like his future though.

Bahgdatis: Scooter asks if he has peaked? I don't know if he has, but he's not adding anything to his game. He burst on the scene with flare and screaming Cypriots, but there hasn't been much to hope for since. Unless he gets to work on improving his game, he will become a journeyman.

Berdych: Does he have the stomach (litterally) for the tighter matches? Some raw talent, but I haven't seen him play enough to say if he has the stuff to be a top 10er.

We think alike!  I actually agree with you here.  On Murray, he has to stay healthy first.  He gets these weird injuries all the time so if he can keep fit and healthy and take care of that negative attitude then he has a great chance. (see sid, I can be objective) :innocent: 

Gasquet has the talent but again, as JadeFox said, Roger had all that talent too and it takes players like that longer to develop so I haven't really given up on Gasquet.  Then again, he may never develop into another 'Federer-type" player even with all his skills.  He has to develop mentally as well.  But it can be done.  But now, seems like he's getting these nagging injuries as well too.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 12:31:48 PM »
I think Murray has the best chance of these 4 to get better.    I have my doubts on all of Gasquet, Berdych, and Baghdatis.     However Gasquet and Baghdatis I still think could get better, Baghdatis maybe a bit more likely since he has even further to go.     Berdych I am close to giving no hope to at this point.   

bird man and the baggy man lack the mental toughness. gasquet just lacks fitness.

i think murray and gasquet are solid top 10 at this point while the other 2 are not. and both are only 20 so their future is clearly ahead of them. correct me on the age if i am wrong.

Yeah, seems like we've been ragging on this crew for as long as I can remember. While the others continue to make their critics look good, Murray gets the benefit of the doubt because he's been less scutinized due to injury. That said, won't all of these guys be in the Top 3-8 mix due to attrition? In recent years, these names have cracked the Top 8 (YE): Davydenko(3), Gonzalez(7), Blake(4), Ljubicic(5), Robredo(7)

The exodus of these names will create a vacuum.

Update thru 3R 2008 AO: the kids are alright

> Gonzalez loses 1 match and will be ranked in the Top 25 where he belongs
> Roddick loses +400 pts
> #12 Robredo loses +200 pts
> Berdych has already matched his 07 result
> ditto for Gasquet
> Baghdatis will actually improve marginally
> Murray will lose +140 pts...
> ...but Tsonga, 22 (not mentioned in this thread), had 0 pts to defend and has already earned 150   ;-()

We should keep this thread active.  :good:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 12:33:51 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 01:34:38 PM »

Yeah, seems like we've been ragging on this crew for as long as I can remember. While the others continue to make their critics look good, Murray gets the benefit of the doubt because he's been less scutinized due to injury. That said, won't all of these guys be in the Top 3-8 mix due to attrition? In recent years, these names have cracked the Top 8 (YE): Davydenko(3), Gonzalez(7), Blake(4), Ljubicic(5), Robredo(7)

> Roddick loses +400 pts
> ditto for Gasquet
> ...but Tsonga, 22 (not mentioned in this thread), had 0 pts to defend and has already earned 150   ;-()

Djokovic has matched his last year's performance so he'll be going up.
Sam Querrey surprisingly only matched last year's performance even though he had to go through Tursunov and Rochus this year .. two much bigger wins I am sure than last year.

Cilic might move up big time, he had never won a grandslam match before and he was 57 start of the tournament. IF he can come trough Blake that'll be big.
Juan Martin Del Potro, don't know where he went.. lost to Ferrer second round.. no clue how that is compared to last year.. he probably picked up some points, not significant though.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 01:42:44 PM »

> Roddick loses +400 pts
> ditto for Gasquet

Sam Querrey surprisingly only matched last year's performance even though he had to go through Tursunov and Rochus this year .. two much bigger wins I am sure than last year.

Cilic might move up big time, he had never won a grandslam match before and he was 57 start of the tournament. IF he can come trough Blake that'll be big.
Juan Martin Del Potro, don't know where he went.. lost to Ferrer second round.. no clue how that is compared to last year.. he probably picked up some points, not significant though.

Cilic will be interesting (will Ancic ever return, pawan  :(  ); Del Potro seems to need time to strengthen that slight,  6'5", 145 lb frame.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 01:46:36 PM »

> Roddick loses +400 pts
> ditto for Gasquet

Cilic will be interesting (will Ancic ever return, pawan  :(  ); Del Potro seems to need time to strengthen that slight,  6'5", 145 lb frame.

Is that really Del Potro's weight? thats just over 10 stone in our measurements and thats unreal for a 6ft 5" guy  :whistle:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline thalivest

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 02:06:31 PM »
The kind of years we think Nadal and Djokovic will have is sure to come up in alot of threads, and has already, so no need to create another thread about the kind of years they will have.   What about those other 4 kids of that age group who are considered by some to have top 5 potential - Tomas Berdych, Marcos Baghdatis, Richard Gasquet, and Andy Murray.  What kind of years will those other 4 elite 1985-1987 talents have.    I think all of them coming close to now or never point, they all are a point they need to start establishing themselves more now or they could get passed by, by the generation to come after them.

Berdych - talented but a headcase(see Ivanisevic, Rios, Safin), and has gotta stop phoning matches in, show some heart... something!!!!
Baghdatis - could be good, but I don't see anything great
Gasquet - he's the girl with curl in her forehaed, when he's good he's good, but when he's bad he's attrocious!!! Plays well for a month or two, and when I think he'll live up to his potential, he stinks it up for next 3 months.
Murray - starting to think he's overrated. More hype than anything. Came of like poor man's Wilander to me. But hey... that's just me.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 02:07:40 PM »

> Roddick loses +400 pts
> ditto for Gasquet

Is that really Del Potro's weight? thats just over 10 stone in our measurements and thats unreal for a 6ft 5" guy  :whistle:

That is really hard to believe. At my thinnest (and I was considered a toothpick when I was young) was 180 at 6' 6". I doubt a 6' 5" guy can be 145.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2008, 02:08:54 PM »
The kind of years we think Nadal and Djokovic will have is sure to come up in alot of threads, and has already, so no need to create another thread about the kind of years they will have.   What about those other 4 kids of that age group who are considered by some to have top 5 potential - Tomas Berdych, Marcos Baghdatis, Richard Gasquet, and Andy Murray.  What kind of years will those other 4 elite 1985-1987 talents have.    I think all of them coming close to now or never point, they all are a point they need to start establishing themselves more now or they could get passed by, by the generation to come after them.

Berdych - talented but a headcase(see Ivanisevic, Rios, Safin), and has gotta stop phoning matches in, show some heart... something!!!!
Gasquet - he's the girl with curl in her forehaed, when he's good he's good, but when he's bad he's attrocious!!! Plays well for a month or two, and when I think he'll live up to his potential, he stinks it up for next 3 months.
Murray - starting to think he's overrated. More hype than anything. Came of like poor man's Wilander to me. But hey... that's just me.

Pretty much agree with all.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 02:11:42 PM »

spot on. I'm hoping the 'other' group of unhyped youngsters can make a move.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 02:14:28 PM »

> Roddick loses +400 pts
> ditto for Gasquet

I have no idea.. he's 24 already.. he's been out a whole year with something, it's really upsetting  :( just when you think he was doing well too, he was what 9 in the world by Shanghai 2006? Cilic said he can compare himself to Ancic most of the other croats, I hope he can take up a bit of Ancic's game. He does move well like Ancic and is strong off both wings like Ancic. but still Ancic needs to get back and quick.

Del Potro's weight can't be right. Impossible. I'm 5'10 and I am 145, that's crazy.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 02:26:30 PM »

> Roddick loses +400 pts
> ditto for Gasquet

That is really hard to believe. At my thinnest (and I was considered a toothpick when I was young) was 180 at 6' 6". I doubt a 6' 5" guy can be 145.

I remember looking at his bio about a year-and-a-half ago or so, when people started hyping him. I recall being floored. Maybe he was 165 then (I still think his bio said 145). Anyway, he's balloned to 172. Does that sound right, 6'5", 172 lb   lol

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2008, 02:30:33 PM »

> Roddick loses +400 pts
> ditto for Gasquet

I remember looking at his bio about a year-and-a-half ago or so, when people started hyping him. I recall being floored. Maybe he was 165 then (I still think his bio said 145). Anyway, he's balloned to 172. Does that sound right, 6'5", 172 lb   lol

Still light for a guy that size but a little more in proportion with what you'd expect  ;-()
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2008, 10:39:51 PM »

Murray has ridiculous game when he quiets those voices in his head........or was that Gilbert in his head?   :rofl_2:

Dmast, don't you remember seeing Del Potro at Cincy?  The dude is less than a toothpick! 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »

Murray has ridiculous game when he quiets those voices in his head........or was that Gilbert in his head?   :rofl_2:

Dmast, don't you remember seeing Del Potro at Cincy?  The dude is less than a toothpick! 

If you saw me when I was his age, you'd understand.  ;-()

An ambition fulfilled

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 11:43:34 PM »
Well their results here:

Murray-1st round
Baghdatis-3rd round
Gasquet-likely 4th round
Berdych-barring miracle 4th round

Not too bad for the latter 3 I guess, not really a breakthrough either though.

Offline thalivest

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2008, 12:51:29 AM »

Murray...OK serve, decent return, OK forehand, good backhand, decent volleys, good movement. He's like a player in video game who isn't bad at anything, but isn't great at anything either.

Offline thalivest

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2008, 12:52:42 AM »
Well their results here:

Murray-1st round
Baghdatis-3rd round
Gasquet-likely 4th round

Gasquet gone in 4th. And Berdych gets Fed in 4th
None will likely reach QF..... Impressive!!!!!!!

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2008, 12:58:19 AM »
Well their results here:

Murray-1st round
Baghdatis-3rd round
Gasquet-likely 4th round

Gasquet gone in 4th. And Berdych gets Fed in 4th
None will likely reach QF..... Impressive!!!!!!!

It is like that long post I pasted regarding the current field.   When talking about depth you can talk about "potential" of these younger players all you want, but how often does potential manifest itself into real depth.
Nadal has established himself, to a lesser extent Djokovic too, these others have proven squat, up to now they are just the hype machine and little else.   

People are reduced to bringing up the most mundane achievements, for example Berdych beating Federer in the Olympics, as if anyone really cares about the Olympics and he got spanked next round anyway.   Or Berdych winning the Paris Masters, well none of the top 5 even played there.    For Gasquet they mention his beating Roddick at Wimbledon, ok that was a big win but it was his only big win ever at a grand slam, and his only time past the quarters being in the semis there, it takes more then one result like that.    For Murray they bring up his win over a worn down Federer in Cincinnati which is really sinking.    For Baghdatis they bring up his run to the final at the Australian Open, that was nice but it was almost two years ago now, and even if he hasnt yet been past the quarters of a hard court slam it still must be noted Nadal wasnt entered given that he owns Baghdatis up to now, evne on hard courts, and would have been in that half.