Author Topic: Marion Jones gets 6 months...  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Re: Marion Jones gets 6 months...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 01:23:59 PM »
I would not have given her any time.   I honestly feel she has already suffered enough.   She has lost all her medals, all her achievements, all of her recognition or admiration, her career, her wealth.   

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 02:21:45 PM »
What an incredible fall from one of the greatest and most recognised athletes on the planet to a cheating drugy that she has unfortunately become. This fall from the top is pretty similar to what Britney Spears is enduring as well now. Jones has lost everything she ever had in life and this just rounds off a terrible 3/4 years for her.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 02:29:51 PM »
What an incredible fall from one of the greatest and most recognised athletes on the planet to a cheating drugy that she has unfortunately become. This fall from the top is pretty similar to what Britney Spears is enduring as well now. Jones has lost everything she ever had in life and this just rounds off a terrible 3/4 years for her.

Well, Britney Spears is much more desearving of that fall than Jones.
Both cases are wrong, but where Jones was only trying to achieve the most she could possibly achieve, Spears has been just wasting whatever talent she may have started with.
I think Jones will come through all this. Spears is on the road to complete destruction.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 02:52:22 PM »

Both cases are wrong, but where Jones was only trying to achieve the most she could possibly achieve, Spears has been just wasting whatever talent she may have started with.
I think Jones will come through all this. Spears is on the road to complete destruction.

Yeah I'd have to go along with that although Jones for me is worse in the fact she's tried to cheat fellow competitors out of medals and victories, whereas Spears has just gone about wrecking her own life and wasting all the talent she had as that sweet teenager that almost everybody admired and loved. Both cases are pretty devastating but at least for Jones' sake her mind is still completely there, whereas Spears is a completely different kettle of fish. Your phrase 'Spears is on the road to complete destruction' is probably one of the truest phrases ever spoken.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 07:57:23 PM »

Happy you said "both cases are wrong"  ..-)

Both are a bloody disgrace which ever way you wanna gloss it over........ :)
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 06:16:06 AM »
I would not have given her any time.   I honestly feel she has already suffered enough.   She has lost all her medals, all her achievements, all of her recognition or admiration, her career, her wealth.   

So because she's lost her superstar status, living normally would be enough punishment? She's committed a crime and been given the appropriate sentence for it.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 07:57:07 AM »

So because she's lost her superstar status, living normally would be enough punishment? She's committed a crime and been given the appropriate sentence for it.

Not exactly living normally. She has a stigma attached to her name now. She will always have to live with it. She lied and got caught very publically. It's her legacy. I'd much rather be the no-name nothing I am now, than someone who is so well known as a lying, cheating athelete.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 08:12:11 AM »

Not exactly living normally. She has a stigma attached to her name now. She will always have to live with it. She lied and got caught very publically. It's her legacy. I'd much rather be the no-name nothing I am now, than someone who is so well known as a lying, cheating athelete.

Well living normally as in living without Olympic Medals, future olympics and massive wealth. I really don't see what has happened already as enough punishment, she should be reduced to the status of other people who've lied in court and cheated, famous or not, which she has been.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 09:56:25 AM »

Well living normally as in living without Olympic Medals, future olympics and massive wealth. I really don't see what has happened already as enough punishment, she should be reduced to the status of other people who've lied in court and cheated, famous or not, which she has been.

I'm not suggesting her life will be bad. It may be bad as compared to what it has been (for you the blind who once could see, the bell tolls for thee), but it won't be bad. Others have lied and cheated, but very few have done so as publicly as she has. That's where the stigma comes in. Others can hide in anonymity. They can go somewhere and dissapear. She won't have that luxury. She can't dissapear.
Still in all, I have no problem with her sentence.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 10:01:17 AM »

I'm not suggesting her life will be bad. It may be bad as compared to what it has been (for you the blind who once could see, the bell tolls for thee), but it won't be bad. Others have lied and cheated, but very few have done so as publicly as she has. That's where the stigma comes in. Others can hide in anonymity. They can go somewhere and dissapear. She won't have that luxury. She can't dissapear.
Still in all, I have no problem with her sentence.

She didn't have to come out publicly on it right........I thought that was her move to make it look like she was coming out and apologizing before everyone heard about it later.  That likely got her a reduced sentence eh? 

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 10:03:08 AM »
It's a good sentence, the 6 months.

She's done a lot of damage to the olympics, more than others because of her high visibility.

She is being punished in other ways much more than this sentence, it's almost nothing compared to loss of endorsements, popularity loss and having to walk around for the rest of her life with this hanging over her head.

I almost want to feel sorry for her but I can't, she knew what she was doing so must pay the price.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 10:09:12 AM »
What's the 6 months for? Doping? I doubt it.

She purgered herself and wrote fraudulent checks. I think the money flow dried up long ago. Sounds like she mismanaged things and made a mess of her life. She was a very popular embassador--her's is a real "fall from grace" story.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:11:55 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 10:10:42 AM »
I'm saying!  She knew the potential consequences all along!  I don't understand how she didn't feel horrible all along even while doing it.  It begs the question, how could you be happy and bring attention on yourself for winning something when you have cheated to get there?   You could ask that question to many athletes.  

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 10:20:20 AM »
I'm saying!  She knew the potential consequences all along!  I don't understand how she didn't feel horrible all along even while doing it.  It begs the question, how could you be happy and bring attention on yourself for winning something when you have cheated to get there?   You could ask that question to many athletes.  

For reasons they've rationalized long ago, that doesn't seem to enter in here. Mark McGuire was a model for how to cheat and get away with it: Don't get too greedy. He made history, then checked out (I'm not sure he had a choice with his knees). As a cheater, Marion should have hung them up after Sydney and no one would have said boo.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 10:27:38 AM »
Personally, I don't feel sorry for her. I think she is getting what she has earned. Like with the Bonds issue I think she is far from just the tip of the iceberg. She is just the most successful of many.
The cheating and corruption in atheletics is probably overwhelming. I heard one guy talk about how, at a track meet, just before they get into their starting postions, a guy would walk down the line and point to a couple runners, telling them they were on tap of drug testing after the race. Frequently some of those tapped would come up lame before the race and not run. The assumption being that they had done their steroid run within the period where it's detectable, they'd better not complete the race. It is a business, and it is extremely effective one.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 04:48:51 PM »
I think the public humiliation was enough, we don't always have to drag someone through the gutter to make them pay. Her legacy and her life as she knew it will never be the same, that's enough punishment. Half the women in her 100m races were on roids so they are no saints. What's really sad is she really didn't need roids, she would have been the fastest woman in the world regardless. She mixed with the wrong crowd and is now suffering the consequences, the humiliation she has endured is punishment enough.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 10:06:17 PM »
I think the public humiliation was enough, we don't always have to drag someone through the gutter to make them pay. Her legacy and her life as she knew it will never be the same, that's enough punishment. Half the women in her 100m races were on roids so they are no saints. What's really sad is she really didn't need roids, she would have been the fastest woman in the world regardless. She mixed with the wrong crowd and is now suffering the consequences, the humiliation she has endured is punishment enough.

Totally agree with all of that.