Author Topic: THE WILLIAMS SISTERS THREAD: Quotes, photos, and other stuff... :)~  (Read 41499 times)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Re: THE WILLIAMS SISTERS THREAD: Quotes, photos, and other stuff... :)~
« Reply #220 on: November 27, 2008, 01:13:12 PM »

Venus did well this year and seems to be in great shape going into next year.. Serena on the other hand I hope she takes the time off and gets back in better shape, because she looked really out of shape at the YEC, If she goes back to how she looked in Miami, I'm sure she's going to have a great 2009
I hope they will both reach the AO final but this time is Venus! she has never won the AO! and Serena Wimby 2009 champion!
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline SeVen

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #221 on: November 27, 2008, 09:16:22 PM »
I love Serena. Venus, Davenport,Seles

Offline SeVen

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #222 on: November 30, 2008, 10:52:52 AM »
Serena

Offline SeVen

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #223 on: November 30, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 01:43:59 PM by SeVen »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #224 on: November 30, 2008, 04:26:10 PM »
Serena
If she were to do some more acting, I think she would be great as Catwoman.
Can you imagine Serena in this costume?

CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2008, 01:03:56 PM »
She is not only the grand slam queen, more important she is a wonderful human being!

Serena Opens School in Kenya

Despite an unfortunate stomach injury at the Sony Ericsson Championships in Doha, world No.2 Serena Williams still had one huge milestone to look forward to in November, as she opened a school she has co-founded in Africa. Located in Matooni, in eastern Kenya, the school was built through a partnership with tech giant Hewlett Packard and the charity Build African Schools. Williams, accompanied by her mother and younger sister, officially opened the Serena Williams Secondary School on Friday, November 14.

After arriving in Africa, Williams took a 40-minute helicopter ride to Matooni, accompanied by Kenyan Education Minister Professor Sam Ongeri, where she was greeted by thousands of fans and supporters from nearby villages. After cutting the ribbon to open the solar powered school, she attended a play put on by area children and hosted a tennis clinic. "I feel so honored to be here. Thanks so much for receiving me for my first time in Kenya," said Williams at the opening. "Education is the only way out of poverty – that’s what my parents taught us – so obviously building this school is really near and dear to me," she added.

The school, which was opened in an area that has one of the highest dropout rates in Kenya, will be mixed gender. Williams promised that she would work with the government to bring electricity to the school and to improve educational standards. "This is my first of many schools I plan to open up in Kenya," said Williams. "It’s amazing how education has uplifted the lives of many people, and have empowered them to determine their own future…It is the best achievement that I have done in my life."

"We are indeed honored to have Ms. Williams visit Kenya at this momentous time in American history when we have a new President-elect who has roots in Kenya,” said Dickson Mutaiti, the Director of Projects at Build African Schools in Kenya. "During her visit, Ms. Williams will give a chance to needy primary school students who want to pursue secondary school education."

"[Williams] has done a great thing for, not only our school, but the whole location," said the school’s headmaster Simon Mbuvi. "Due to geographical factors, the school has seen little growth since it was started in 1952. But through her assistance, we have been able to finish building the secondary school in just under one month ready for the intake next year," he added.

As a partner in the project, Hewlett Packard will install in each classroom internet computer laboratories, printers, and facilitate training for the teachers and students. Build African Schools and Hewlett Packard have joined together since 2004 to help children in Africa have access to education. Patrick O’Sullivan, founder and CEO of Build African Schools, said that the organization plans to give students in marginalized areas access to a secondary school education in a bid to empower them.

-wta.com-
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline SeVen

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #226 on: December 22, 2008, 09:53:25 AM »
WOW !!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #227 on: December 25, 2008, 04:00:34 AM »
Great pics SeVen!!  :)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #228 on: January 06, 2009, 02:20:14 PM »
Venus eyes number one spot :)>>>>
Tue 06 Jan, 05:23 PM

HONG KONG (AFP) - Wimbledon champion Venus Williams is eyeing regaining the top spot in women's tennis as she gears up for another tilt at the season's opening Grand Slam, the Australian Open.

Williams, who reached the number one ranking in early 2002 and is currently sixth in the world, finished 2008 on a high note, winning her first year-end WTA Tour Championships.

The American, who has won seven Grand Slam singles titles, including five Wimbledon crowns, said reaching the top of the women's game remained a realistic goal.

"I'm happy with everything. I worked really hard last year to get what I had to and (am) definitely proud of those achievements," she said.

"This year I feel I'm in a great position to move forward to number one but of course I've got to do it and that will be the fun part. I will try to get there."

Williams, preparing for the Australian Open later this month, is captaining the US team in Hong Kong's World Team Challenge, featuring teams representing Europe, Russia, the Americas and Asia-Pacific.

The European team at the event, which starts Wednesday and runs until January 10, includes current world number one Jelena Jankovic.

Williams said she was feeling fit after a long break and was looking forward to some tough matches in Hong Kong.

"I had a really good off-season. I think this one was the longest one ever. I did four weeks with no tennis, that was pretty amazing. I enjoyed it too much. Breaks are a luxury so it was a wonderful luxury. I'm feeling good."

And Williams, 28, dismissed thoughts of retirement, saying she planned to play on until at least the 2012 London Olympics.

"When you're at the top of your game you're not planning on retirement and walking away. You're just planning hopefully the next victory so that's grand right now," she said.

"I love my job. I love hitting balls, running and jumping, chasing after that ball. I love what I do so I think that's what keeps me motivated," she added.

Williams, who has won the US Open twice, said the French Open and the Australian Open, neither of which she has won, are high on her list of objectives for 2009 but if she had a choice, she would pick another Wimbledon.

"Wimbledon means the most to me," she said.

And the American said she was planning a busy schedule of doubles with her sister, world number two Serena, with whom she won the Olympics doubles title in Beijing.

"We're going to try and play all the Slams. We'll see what happens but we love winning those titles and I think if we could play more often we could just keep getting them, so we'll see."

The Australian Open, the first of the season's four Grand Slams, starts on January 19.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #229 on: January 08, 2009, 08:54:57 AM »
Venus crushes Jankovic in World Team Challenge :))

HONG KONG (AFP) - Venus Williams crushed world number one Jelena Jankovic in straight sets as she kept Team Americas on track to qualify for the final of the Hong Kong World Team Challenge Thursday.

The Wimbledon champion seized control early in the match and never let up, breaking twice in each set for a 6-2, 6-2 win.

The seven-time Grand Slam champion broke Jankovic in the first game of the match, racing into a 4-0 lead, unfurling a series of unanswerable ground strokes.

Williams, who trails Jankovic 4-5 in head-to-heads on the WTA tour, broke again in the third game of the second set and went on to seal the match with the help of another break.

"I had a good start. I think it put some pressure on her. I also wasn't giving her the errors I usually give to her, lots of errors," said Williams, who beat Jankovic in their last meeting at the season-ending WTA Tour Championships.

The world number six said she had a "great feeling" about the upcoming season and was going to use the knowledge she had gleaned from her last two tournaments in 2008, both of which she won.

Williams, looking to win her first Australian Open title, said she was not surprised to be off to such a strong start against a powerful opponent.

"I've always been a good player off the jump. That's always been the way I've played throughout my career," she said.

Jankovic said she had found her first singles match of the season tough.

"It was very hard to get into the match. I felt very slow on the court and didn't really get my rhythm out there," she said.

"But it's the first match of the season so I can't expect myself to play the best tennis, which is normal, so I look forward to playing as many matches as possible and trying to get in form because I haven't played a match for two months."

Jankovic is hoping to use the Hong Kong exhibition tournament to sharpen up ahead of a bid to win her first Grand Slam in Australia later this month.

Last year she reached the final of the US Open as well as the semi-finals of the Australian Open and the French Open but she has never won a major.

Offline SeVen

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #230 on: January 08, 2009, 08:04:34 PM »
I hope Venus can do that when it really matters !!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #231 on: January 08, 2009, 10:17:37 PM »
I hope Venus can do that when it really matters !!
I agree of course :)
it's really great they will be playing doubles at the ao.

Serena starts her season in Sydney?

Offline SeVen

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #232 on: January 08, 2009, 10:38:45 PM »
I didnt know they are playing doubles at the AO  !!! :D
Serena starts in Sydney, She's never won it, but i'm just hoping for the best

I hope they would play the French Open Doubles too

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2009, 06:22:30 PM »

I don't think that they will play the FO though. It's a slower surface and I think singles would require them to be a bit fresher... I wouldn't mind seeing it though. :)
Be the change that you seek.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2009, 11:47:32 PM »
Venus and Serena

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2009, 11:59:05 PM »

I don't think that they will play the FO though. It's a slower surface and I think singles would require them to be a bit fresher... I wouldn't mind seeing it though. :)

But in one of their interviews they said they were going to try to play more this year.  So who knows....  I hope so.  Doubles is more intersting when they are in it. :gleam:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »
Nice picture

Serena Williams
Is there a clue somewhere to Serena Williams? You won’t find it by comparing her to other athletes, or even other people. She’s not quite like us; she doesn’t have doubts, at least not doubts that affect her performance or that we will ever see. Nevertheless, she remains vulnerable at Grand Slams to a bad day and a rash or errors. She almost needs them to wake her up.

I've wondered what accounts for her traditional mid-Slam near-disaster (this time it came against Svetlana Kuznetsova in the quarterfinals). How can she look so lost one day and so dialed in and unbeatable by all mortal women the next? I can only offer one semi-possible explanation. At the Olympics last year, Serena skipped the mind-boggling, once-in-a-lifetime opening ceremony. When she was asked why, she said she was in a “foul mood.” This seems to indicate someone whose actions, and tennis game, is affected by her mood on any given day—Serena doesn’t block out or ignore her emotions; she uses them, mostly for better, but sometimes for worse.

By the end of a major, though, the moods pass. In the final against Dinara Safina, Serena looked like an adult playing a junior: It was, as Chris Fowler said, target practice. She hit a big return, walked in a couple steps, and finished the point with an easy swinging volley. She knocked off a serve down the middle, then easily ran around the feeble return for an inside-out winner. It was hard to appreciate how well she was playing because her winners weren’t even aimed at the lines. They had so much pace, and were so accurate, they didn’t need to be risky.

While I could have done without Mary Carillo’s overly dramatic descriptions—“This is magnificent”—she had a point. Watching Serena play like this is appealing from all aesthetic and technical perspectives: The relax-relax-relax and then snap of her serve; the extension through her backhand; the delicate little steps she performs before clubbing a forehand. Like Nadal, she also seemed subtly more mature in Oz. There were no excessive flourishes and nothing asymmetric to her clothes, just a flatteringly simple dress and an all-business Nike headband.

The best thing about seeing Serena play like this, and win like this, is that you can rest assured that there has been no fluke involved. The better player just won. A+

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #237 on: February 03, 2009, 06:44:43 PM »
I loved that article!

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #238 on: February 13, 2009, 12:58:34 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjzLNrk15oQ[/youtube]

Very interesting.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #239 on: March 18, 2009, 06:00:05 PM »
Yeah, I loved the bit about her not getting recognition for her tactical skills and only for her power.