Author Topic: THE WILLIAMS SISTERS THREAD: Quotes, photos, and other stuff... :)~  (Read 39062 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: THE WILLIAMS SISTERS THREAD: Quotes, photos, and other stuff... :)~
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2008, 08:49:39 PM »
I expect them to do well.  Not sure if they will win it or not, but it would be nice to see.

Well thier last match was against Domachowska/A.Radwanska... They're pretty tough I think.

But anyways Scott can I bother you one quick sec?
Um... well you know how I had my name changed to a capital W? Well, do you think it could be changed back to lowercase pretty pleeaseee... It just doesn't look right how it is now.

I think it looks fine!  And I'm glad to see you are active in this thread again! :))

That's only because I saw your last post in here and felt guilty that you were having to do all that work.

That's ok... we make a good team! :))

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2008, 08:50:10 PM »
Thursday, 26 June 2008

V. WILLIAMS/A. Keothavong

7-5, 6-2

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Venus.

Q. You have just played Britain's top woman's player. Do you think Great Britain is getting better?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I played two really great girls in the first two rounds, and they were very challenging. So I think it will be great for Wimbledon and great for British tennis if they would continue playing as they did here. So it looks really bright.

Q. Marathon first set. Did you think it would be over very quickly after the first two games?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, after the first two games I was definitely feeling good, but no match is predictable. I do like to -- obviously everyone, I like to have it go my way and I'm glad that it did go my way, but that's not necessarily exactly how I planned it.

Q. Your mom told me she thought you probably weren't all that happy with the way you played, and that you need to tighten up things, that you're going to have to work on certain things. Do you feel that way, and what do you think you have to work on? Or did mom say the wrong thing?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, I mean, I think that every match is a little different in the slams. Personally, I try to prepare, so that way it's exactly how I'm planning, but it isn't always. So I just take that into effect, and I don't weigh too much into every match.

It's just about getting through to the next round.

Q. Serena and you come in at Wimbledon, regardless of whether you're playing really well before in the year, not so well, kind of mediocre, you are always considered the favorites, the two of you, you're the really strong favorites. How does that make you feel, and is that how you think you both perceive yourselves?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think that we really have a positive image for ourselves, which is always important. I think no matter what tournament we play, we always feel like we have the opportunity to really do something great. So we definitely bring that self-confidence wherever we go.

Q. Do you feel it more here? Obviously, this has been Williams ownership for most of the last eight years.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Maybe a little more here, yeah.

Q. How much change, if any, have you noticed in the grass in the time you've been here coming as far as the speed of the rallies?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think the grass is getting a little slower. But it still bounces low, especially if you put a certain spin on the ball or not a lot of pace. Every year you have to figure out how it's playing.

Q. Do you have a preference as to faster, slower? Does it matter to you?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Each one has its challenges, I guess, and grass, in general, you might not get a good bounce. So either way you got to be on your toes and ready for the unexpected.

I don't necessarily have a preference.

Q. You got the unexpected in the second set. You seemed to take a nasty smack in the face from one volley from Anne. Did that hurt? Were you a bit surprised she played that shot?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I mean, it hurt. This is tennis. You've got to be ready for whatever, so...

Q. It looked like you almost didn't see her (raising hand apologetically).

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I saw her, yes.

Q. How much more are you going to have to improve to go all the way in the tournament?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I'm looking to improve every round, so that's really not a huge secret.

Q. So how far off do you feel you are at the moment?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I mean, I'm not really taking a measurement. I'm just playing day to day. Then as things come up, if I need to make a correction or make a change, in the middle of the match, in the middle of the tournament, that's what I do.

So it's not really a number.

Q. Going back to when you got hit, what were you thinking at that moment and what were you thinking about your opponent?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I don't know -- what was the score, 4-2 or something? So I think I was just looking to solidify my break and close out the match more than anything.

I've hit some people, too. That's just how it goes sometimes.

Q. Did you think there was anything more there?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, I don't think so. I don't think she was aiming for me. And if she was, she didn't tell me about it. I don't think she was aiming for me.

Q. Did you see what happened in yesterday's Ivanovic match when she saved a match point on a net cord?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No. I wasn't watching, so...

Q. Have you ever had a net cord decide a very important point in a match for you?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No. I need to get a little luckier first, so...

I'm working on it.

Q. You and Serena often talk about what's great about having a sister on the tour. One would imagine there has to be some kind of downside to that. What would that be, if somebody asked you?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think the downside to having a sister on tour is she's just as good as you are. If she's that good, you have to figure out a way to beat her. That's probably the only downside of it.

Q. So far you've had a bee attack you, a tennis ball in the head. Are you worried what might come next?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Whatever comes, I still manage to get through. So it would be a really nice trend, you know, to keep going through.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice interview.. .Thanks Dallas.. my partner in crime.lol
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2008, 09:39:49 PM »
She's in action tomorrow!!!!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2008, 01:19:28 PM »
FOUND THIS:

The match began at 11:17 AM EST.

SET 1 SERENA 7 AMELIE MAURESMO 6 (7-5)

11:19 Serena serving. Serena up 30-0. Serena holds at love. 1-0

11:22 AM serving. Serena up 40-15. SERENA WINS THE NEXT POINT AND BREAKS SERVE. 2-0

11:26 Serena serving. AM hits bh into net. 15-30. Serena hits bh into net. Serena down 15-40 Serena comes into net and hits overhead slam. Serena down 30-40. Game goes to deuce. AM hits fh long. Serena ad in. Serena wins the next point, consolidates her break. 3-0

11:30 AM serving. AM gets a net cord winner. 30 all. AM serves out wide, comes in and hits bh to opposite court. Serena down 30-40. Serena bh into net. AM holds serve. 3-1

11:34 Serena serving. 15 all with double fault. Serena bh into net. Serena down 15-30. Serena bh xcourt pulls AM off court and then the fh xcourt winner. 30 all. AM fh pulls Serena off court. 30-40. AM WINS THE NEXT POINT AND BREAKS SERVE. 3-2

11:38 AM serving. Serena up 30-0. Serena up 40-15. SERENA WINS THE NEXT POINT AND BREAKS SERVE A SECOND TIME. 4-2

11:42 Serena serving. Serena down 15-40. Serena fights back and wins the next 2 points. Deuce. Serena ad out. AM WINS THE NEXT POINT AND BREAKS RIGHT BACK A SECOND TIME. BACK ON SERVE. 4-3

11:46 AM serving. Serena down 15-40. AM wins the next point. 4-4

11:52 Serena serving. Serena hits bh winner but down 15-30. AM bh long. 30 all. Serena hits bh down at AM feet. 40-30. Serena fh into net. Game goes to deuce. Serena sprays a fh wide. Serena ad out. Serena hits hot serve deep into the corner for service winner. Dx2. Serena comes to net and wins the point. Serena ad in. Serena wins the next point and holds serve. 5-4

11:56 AM serving. Serena bh into xcourt corner and then comes in and wins the point. 15 all. AM hits ball into net. Serena up 30-15. AM good serve and Serena hits fh into net. 30 all. AM hits 2nd ace. Serena down 30-40. AM wins the next point and holds serve. 5-5

12:00 Serena serving. Serena hits an ace. 15-0. Serena wins next point with a slice. 30-0. AM comes into net and wins point with overhead. 30-15. Serena comes in and hits fh winner. 40-15. Serena hits fh into net. 40-30. Serena wins the next point and holds serve. 6-5

12:00 AM serving. AM gets bad bounce. 15 all. Serena fh long. Serena down 15-30. Serena hits bh long. Serena down 15-40. AM wins the next point. 6-6

Tie Break:

S 1-0 S
1-1 AM
S 2-1 AM
S 3-1 S
S 4-1 S
S 4-2 AM
S 4-3 AM
4-4 S
S 5-4 S
5-5 AM
S 6-5 AM
S 7-5 S

12:14 SERENA WINS THE TIE BREAKS 7-5

SET 2 SERENA 6 AMELIE MAURESMO 1

12:17 AM serving. AM wins 2 points. SERENA BREAKS SERVE. 1-0

12:24 Serena serving. Game goes to deuce. Serena ad in. Dx2. Serena ad out. Dx3. Serena ad in. Serena wins the next point and consolidates her break. 2-0

12:26 AM serving. Serena up 40-15. SERENA WINS THE NEXT POINT AND BREAKS A THIRD TIME. 3-0

12:28 Amelie is getting some leg treatment during the change of serve.

12:35 Serena serving. 30 all. Serena up 40-30. Serena wins the next point and holds serve. 4-0

12:38 AM serving. Serena was up 40-0. AM wins one point. SERENA BREAKS A THIRD TIME. 5-0

12:42 Serena serving. Serena down 0-30. Serena bh into net. 0-40. Serena gets a double fault. AM BREAKS SERVE. 5-1

12:47 AM serving. Serena fh into net. Serena down 0-30. Serena good xcourt bh winner. 15-30. AM hits fh into net. 30 all. AM bh long. Serena up 40-30. AM good serve Serena can't handle. Deuce. Serena good bh slice xcourt. Serena ad in. SERENA HITS XCOURT FH PASS AND WINS THE GAME, SECOND SET AND THE MATCH. 6-1

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2008, 01:23:28 PM »
Match Summary

Mauresmo (FRA)                                          Williams (USA)

1st Serve % 40 of 63 = 63 %                         54 of 70 = 77 %

Aces                  2                                      2

Double Faults       3                                      5

Unforced Errors    15                                    25

Winning % on 1st Serve~ 20 of 40 = 50 %          34 of 54 = 63 %

Winning % on 2nd Serve~10 of 23 = 43 %          6 of 16 = 38 %

Receiving Points Won~30 of 65 = 46 %             33 of 60 = 55 %

Break Point Conversions~ 3 of 10 = 30 %                6 of 9 = 67 %

Net Approaches       11 of 23 = 48 %                   15 of 22 = 68 %

Total Points Won                 60                                    73

Fastest Serve                  116 MPH                         116 MPH

Average 1st Serve Speed   105 MPH                          104 MPH

Average 2nd Serve Speed    91 MPH                          84 MPH

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2008, 11:37:07 AM »
Venus Williams def. Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez 6-1, 7-5

Q. Satisfied with that?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I was happy with that one. The first set was pretty clean. The second set she just changed her strategy, started playing better, and got that break back. Played aggressive to get the break back.

You know, I was pretty happy because she started putting some pressure on. I had some good answers.

Q. The service ace to finish it off. Did you look up at the board to see how fast it was?

VENUS WILLIAMS: How fast was it?

Q. 127.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Okay.

Q. Which I think might equal your best. How important is that power to your game?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I mean, if I don't have the power that I have, then I get a lot closer to average. I think the power with my movement, and obviously with my strokes adds a ton to my game. It's a real blessing. Yeah, 127's a good way to end it.

Q. Do you and Serena have contests to see who's fastest?

VENUS WILLIAMS: If she did break my fast serve, then I would definitely be trying to break it.

I'm actually never really trying to serve that hard, if that makes any sense. It just comes big. It's just how I serve. It's just me, so...

Q. Big chances for both of you now in this tournament.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, the chances were wonderful, you know, from the beginning, from Round 1. That's how we see it. The more we progress, obviously the closer it gets.

But I know personally I'm really focused on my next round.

Q. You ran through the first five games in 17 minutes. Then did she just pick up her pace? All of a sudden you get broken and are trailing. What happens there?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I just knew that whenever I had a chance to serve for it, I was just was gonna serve it out.

I was, you know, disappointed not to have that chance at 5 4. She just hit a lot of good first serves, a lot of good first volleys. When that ball's bouncing low and I'm having to hit up, she has a good chance to hit a good volley.

She just really made her shots, and I think that's what counted. She changed the strategy, made her shots, and that was good for her.

Q. You've been such a clear spokesperson for equal pay and also for gender equality. The commentator Justin Gimelstob has made some very controversial comments about Kournikova, Vaidisova, women in general. What are your thoughts about those?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I heard about it. You know, I don't know that much about it. I played mixed doubles with him and won some slams. Came close to winning here.

I don't know in great detail what the whole issue is, but I've heard that he issued an apology and is donating some money to I think, the women's sports foundation, what have you.

So I think that we should accept his apology and allow him to move on and continue to contribute to tennis.

Q. You and Serena reached four majors in a row. A lot of big players have struggled here. Is it getting harder to have that kind of consistency in women's tennis?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Four majors in a row?

Q. You and Serena were in four majors in a row.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Finals, you mean?

Q. Correct.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Okay. Is it difficult?

Q. Yes.

VENUS WILLIAMS: I'm not sure what the challenge is for the next player. My challenge in my career has been my injuries. That has been, you know, my major problem. It hasn't always been easy coming back. It's not always easy working hard. Sometimes it's not easy even figuring out what's wrong.

So that has been challenging. I'm just praying. I want to be healthy. So that way if I lose, at least it's because I lost, and it wasn't because I wasn't feeling good or unhealthy or struggling.

Q. Do you think the tour is deeper than it was five or ten years ago?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think all the girls have desire. I think they all want to be No. 1, no matter what her ranking is, no matter what her name is. I think that it's good to have competition. I love a challenge, personally.

I think it's nice to see everyone playing better, and that's good.

Q. It's not been the best of weeks for American men. Do you feel the pressure on your shoulders to try to deliver in the women's?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, actually not. But it hasn't been. I'm always rooting for the fellow Americans. We just aren't so lucky right now. But maybe soon.

Q. Do you know what's going wrong?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, I don't.

Q. Do you think if you did know what was going on you would be paid a lot?

VENUS WILLIAMS: If I did know what was going wrong I don't even know if I would if it would be the right thing for me to call up somebody and say, Hey, look, I saw what you were doing. Don't do it any more. Got to just pay attention to what's happening in my own camp.

Q. You were talking about staying healthy, which of course is the main object of every athlete. When you go out to practice, are you worried that all of a sudden it may show up again, or are you in good enough shape with physical therapy, et cetera, where you feel confident it won't happen?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I mean, pretty much the only things that you can do in practice would be like to, you know, blow your ankle or your knee, and I'm not too worried about that. But when there is a problem, I have to be smart about how I'm practicing.

In the past, I had the tendency to practice till it hurt too much to continue, so now I know, it starts hurting, stop. But that's only been the last few months. I'm getting wiser.

Q. You obviously enjoy doubles a lot. But when you're playing singles, what is the dynamic and what is the appreciation of that one to one competition, and what do you enjoy most about it?

VENUS WILLIAMS: What I enjoy most about the singles is all the room that you have. In singles, even if I hit not the best shot, I'm pretty confident I'm going to run down that next shot. On the run, I feel like I'm just as good as standing still.

In doubles you don't have as much space. If you don't hit the best shot you're in trouble. Put your partner in trouble, too. So I think that's probably the biggest challenge.

Q. And how about the competitive aspect? What do you appreciate most about being in competition against just one other person? What do you thrive with most in that aspect of it?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I like that I'm in control of exactly what's happening. I do like that. I definitely feel very liberated in singles. Sometimes in doubles I feel a little like closed in, if that makes any sense.

Q. Tennis players have to deal with three major hassles in a way: There's those devastating losses that come, incredible travel, and then injuries. Can you compare them in any way as obstacles in your career?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Wow, injuries, yeah.

Q. Travel and tough losses.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Tough losses. For me, tough losses just make me go work harder, so I can deal with that. I think if you get tough losses four or five years in a row, never get a win, that can becoming a complex. Thankfully it's not mine.

The travel, I mean, this year, at the beginning of the year I was everywhere. I was in Australia, and then the Middle East, then Bangalore. Then it was like, no more long trips. It was too much.

So probably the injuries are the toughest because it's out of your control. I think a lot of athletes, we are very controlling and high achievers. When there's something out of your control you just can't accept that, and that's the hard part.

Q. In terms of the travel, do you sometimes wake up and have no idea where you are?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No. I usually I don't know the day. Like today I didn't know it was Saturday. I just knew it was third round. That's what it's all about (laughter).

Q. You've looked fabulous all week in your EleVen dresses. Is it exciting wearing your own creations at the world's biggest tournament?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, it definitely is. I love EleVen. EleVen is my baby. It's not even a year old. We have a funny little shirt. It's like "EleVen since '07." It's really only been out like about eight months, so it's pretty exciting.

I love what I'm wearing here, and I'm looking forward to just being really creative off of the court. That's what I do.

Q. Don't you think that women tennis players should go back on tennis and less fashion, because that may be the reason why so many failed this year, Sharapova among others?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think women in general, we like fashion. It's a huge industry, I think, for the athletic companies. It's always getting more competitive with the designs and the styles, and right now the trend is to do something different.

The trend in sporting right now is to take elements from ready to wear and incorporate them into athletic wear. So every company has to keep up, especially EleVen.

I think that's just really about business in general, and the product is that us women get to wear wonderful clothes. I think in the past, Billie Jean King and Rosie Casals, they wore wonderful things that brought a lot of attention to women's tennis, and that's what they needed at that time.

I don't think in any way that it subtracts from the competition level or how well we're playing. The fact of the matter is someone's got to win and someone's got to lose. Some days it's not who you think it's gonna be that's gonna be the winner.

Q. Has EleVen been going well in the States?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, it's going well.

Q. Given the difficulty of the sort of traveling that you do, could you tell us again why the Olympics means so much to you that you would make such a difficult trip and one so close to the US Open?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Right. Well, actually, like before the French I started realizing how scary my schedule was. I was going to be home about 11 days between, you know, Rome and the US Open. But that all got worked out when I lost early, so no worries now (laughter).

But, anyway, I love the Olympics. I love the thought of being able to win gold. It's just extremely special. It's beyond it has been beyond my dreams to play the Olympics. I always thought of winning here and then winning there, and competing there was really special.

It takes a while to set in. You know, a few years after you win you're like, wait a minute, this is my gold. Oh, my God, yes. So it's exciting.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2008, 01:31:42 PM »
I like Venus's Hair here

MATCH STATS:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2008, 03:27:45 PM »
V. Williams def A Kleybanova 6-3, 6-4

Q. You must be fairly happy with the way your tournament's progressed so far. Haven't dropped a set. Going quite nicely.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I'm actually pretty excited. I did lose serve today. I was almost not about to lose serve. And I think that's four times this tournament. So I try to keep it to a minimum. That always helps. But, yeah, I'm happy with the progression. Every player's challenging. I didn't know what she was going to do. I'm very happy to have gotten through.

Q. What did you make of the top seeds dropping out, and how do you explain it?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Because the reality is that every player is ready to play, especially at these slams. Everyone comes out with double vengeance, so you just have to be ready. Every match is not a given. The matches that you win, even if it's an easier score line, you do go out there and you work for it. So you just have to play better on that day.

Q. Were you disappointed to see that you were playing on Court 2?

VENUS WILLIAMS: You know, there's not too much that I'm going to say about that in press. I think that obviously, no matter where we play, we realize we have to play well. That's pretty much all I have to say.

Q. When you get the opportunity to play your sister, what are the pros and cons? What is the balance of excitement because it's just the two of you out there, versus the negative aspects?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I think the best part is that I love having her here and I'm always sad when she leaves and she's gone. It's not the same. I think that's the bad part of both of us not being here to the end. And the best part is that we're both in the finals. You know, both of us have an opportunity to live our dream, so for us it's a plus.

Q. What are your memories of what you last competed against one another here at Wimbledon in a final?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I think I had an injury, but I still came really close to winning. I guess if I would have had that extra something I could have done it.

But ultimately it was an awesome time for us and our family, and I think also for tennis.

Q. How late this week will it have to be before it goes through your mind, if it's not already, that this could happen again, especially with all these other top players falling?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Uhm, I'm extremely focused at this point on the doubles, and, of course, tomorrow on my quarterfinal.

I realize that nothing is a given. If it was, then every single seed would be lined up ready to play each other now, but it's not.

Q. Can you understand if neutral outsiders, they worry if it brings out the best in each of you?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, I'm not really worried about that. No, not at all.

Q. Not your concern?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No.

Q. Can you see why to other people that might be the case?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't get all involved in that. That's not my everyday, wake up in the morning, like, Oh, my God, what is that person thinking? Definitely not.

Q. Do you think it brings out the best in you when the two of you play?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think that we both play really similar games, and I think that we play against each other a lot. So, yeah, it makes it easier for us to know who's going to do what. But at the same time, we both can pull a shot out of our, you know, anywhere. So we're both being on our toes for that. I'm mostly thinking about trying to win.

Q. When you saw that draw and you've been put on Court 2, the graveyard of champions, was that fear in your mind?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No. I've played a lot of matches out there, a lot of matches last year out there. The court does play differently than the other courts. For me it was just really focusing on that and taking that into effect when I was playing today, into account.

Q. On the scheduling, it may not be anything personal against you, but it seems some of the top women - Jelena Jankovic was on Court 18 - have to play out and around the courts, whereas certainly Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are never asked to leave centre and No. 1.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, you said it. It's true.

Q. Can you talk a little bit about your quarterfinal against Tammy. You've never lost a set against her in six previous matches.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Obviously she's playing well here. She's just marching through to the quarterfinals. I have not seen her play this year, but I have played her a number of times. I think I'll be more prepared as far as knowing how my opponent plays than my first four opponents. That makes it a little bit easier, I guess.

Q. It seems like at Wimbledon you manage your game and your emotions and your nerves better than you do in any other place. Can you just talk about that.

VENUS WILLIAMS: I just love playing here. I love it here. It's what I like best. So I think that helps, that I just love it here. It's just that simple.

Q. Game-wise, too. Last year you had some problems in the first week. This time you've had a couple sets that were fairly close, but it seems like you know exactly what you need to do at the right times. Can you talk about that.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I mean, Serena says all the time that if you pick a tournament to win it should be this one, she says. I wish I would have picked this one to win so many times. So I guess this is a tournament where I'm really, really go for it and really do what counts. So I think consciously and subconsciously, that's what it is.

Q. On your last match point you really took it to her. You came into the net. On the previous match points you've stayed back. She hit a couple big winners. Is that sort of knowing what to do at the right time and taking it to her in that situation?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Today, you mean?

Q. Yeah, today.

VENUS WILLIAMS: I mean, in that last game she did hit a couple winners. She brought the level of her game up. Obviously, she realized it was either then or not at all.

So it's nice playing, I guess, in some ways in that situation because the competition is what you practice for, what you've trained for. It's always even more exhilarating when you come through it. So for me it's just, of course, finding that balance of what to do and playing the ball.

Q. You mentioned you liked it here so much. Could you go into a bit more detail of what you do like.

VENUS WILLIAMS: I like the surface. I think I like the fact that this is the most important tournament in tennis as far as history and I guess prestige, and it's just wonderful to win here. This is the place to win, so I think that's really what it's all about. It's a nice and relaxing feeling actually being here, even though it's on the biggest stage.

Q. You spoke a minute ago about the similarities in your game with your sister's. How about on the other side? When you see Federer and Nadal, what impresses you most about the differences? If there are any similarities, what do you see as the similarities between those guys?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I think Federer is so confident, and he brings it out with him on the court. When it's breakpoint or game point he's got that edge because of that. And Nadal, I love his tenacity. He just never stops trying. It doesn't matter what point it is. He's just trying so hard, so I love that about him.

Q. Is there anything atmosphere-wise that you like about playing on Court 2, which is kind of a more intimate kind of setting?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I'm actually really tall, so I feel a little cramped (smiling). Will I have room to move my legs around?

Q. There's less of a back?

VENUS WILLIAMS: There's a lot of back. There's less side, yeah.

Q. The women's tennis this year at Wimbledon is just amazing. Are you excited about the depth in women's tennis?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I'm excited about my advancement, every step closer towards closer to the final. That's what I'm excited about. In general also I'm pretty excited at any tournament where I'm playing well. A little less focused on what my opponents are doing. Just more focused on my results.

Q. The crowds are going out to see the women. Like at 18 they were queuing up to get in there.

VENUS WILLIAMS: That's awesome. That's awesome.

Q. Do you and Serena sort of see like you're flying the flag for America against these eastern Europeans?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, we don't see it that way. No.

Q. How well are you playing compared to last year? At this stage, I think you weren't feeling too well.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Pardon me?

Q. Because you weren't feeling too well. There was a period last year where you weren't feeling too well.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Oh, yeah, well, I like to think that's behind me and that I only feel great and awesome and only be healthy, only win from now on. But I've tried not to compare my game from this year to last year, 'cause obviously I was playing so well last year. To play at that level is tough, so every year's different, every opponent's different. I focus on that mission at that moment and not try to compare anything at all.

Q. Nadia is playing in your clothes. Do you find yourself pulling for her, pulling for the line?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, actually. I think she looks really good. So, yeah.

Q. So who gets the better outfit if you happen to play in the semifinals?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I think there's things that she feels comfortable wearing, so that was important because there were things I think that she didn't like as much. So I think that she likes what she's wearing now. In Eleven I love pleats, so pleats are always in the line. It's kind of a motif that's continuing. So she's in the pleats and I'm not, but, of course, throughout the year there will still be pleats.

Q. How much of your presence, your success here, is mental? You like the grass. All of a sudden does your whole mental outlook change when you come here and you feel much more relaxed and confident than other tournaments?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I mean, I probably feel more relaxed here. There's no super secret, I guess. By the time this tournament comes around it's also six months into the season, so kind of honing my game at this point. I think that's really a lot of it, too. By this point I really kind of worked out any errors. A lot of times I'm feeling healthy, or if I haven't felt healthy in the beginning of the year. I think a lot of times it just culminates here.

Q. We were talking about the rescheduling. Is it something you'll talk to the referee's office about?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, no, you guys want to know everything about that. Let's keep it on the real real. I'm here for the tennis.

Q. This is where you're being asked to play your tennis as defending champion.

VENUS WILLIAMS: I'm here for the tennis on all courts, so I'll be going back out on Court 2 to play my doubles. And I'm, yeah, hoping for a win then.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2008, 03:28:20 PM »
 Players

S. Williams Interview - 30 June

Monday, 30 June 2008

Serena Williams def. Bethanie Mattek 6-3, 6-3

Q. Can you imagine the defending champion here at Wimbledon, Roger Federer, playing on Court 2?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I haven't seen him on Court 2 in, like, six years. So, no, I couldn't imagine.

Q. What are your thoughts on all three Williams matches today neither being on Centre or Court 1?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Initially I thought, for sure Court 2. You know, I'm here to play the tournament and just focus on winning my match more than anything, just trying to do well here. So that's really my main focus.

Q. Was there an explanation? Did they explain why they were putting you on Court 2? Was it a scheduling thing with you playing doubles also?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I haven't gotten an explanation. Granted, I do think it's weird, especially having a female champ who has won this tournament four times. I've only won twice. But, hey, that's not so bad (laughter). For the most part I think that's a question that will be best asked to the All England Tennis Club because I think they could address that better than what I would be able to answer that question.

Q. Is it a matter of just sort of implied disrespect being on Court 2? How familiar are you with the Graveyard Court thing, big players who have lost there?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I didn't think about that at all today. Again, I didn't do the schedule, so I don't know what the thought process was. Again, I thought it was granted, I thought it wasn't what I would have liked to see. But at the end of the day, I'm going to have to focus on winning my match. I don't want to go out there and lose because I'm angry that I'm on Court 2. I want to go out there and perform my best and be able to win.

Q. Did you care you're on Court 2?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Of course I cared.

Q. Did it bother you you were put on Court 2?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Initially I thought, Okay, is this the right schedule? I thought maybe there was a mistake. But, you know, I can't dwell on that. I have to really focus on winning. I have to focus on just doing the best that I can do whether I'm on Court 2 or Court 20.

Q. Does that give you extra motivation to win on that court?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think it definitely does give me extra motivation to win and to play well.

Q. What is the challenge of playing on Court 2?

SERENA WILLIAMS: The challenges of playing on Court 2? I don't think I've ever played a fourth round match on a court like that in my career. But I think as the tournament goes on, it gets a little slippery out there. But that's the only challenge I've had.

Q. The noise from other courts, the clatter from the dining room?

SERENA WILLIAMS: That doesn't bother me. I've done with a lot more. I've dealt with a lot more stuff. I didn't even hear any clattering or other noise at all.

Q. Does it feel more hemmed in? Do you feel you have the latitude to run and reach as you would on the show courts?

SERENA WILLIAMS: There's obviously more room on the show courts. But I think that I had a lot of room today to run and to spread out. And hopefully I'm not doing that much running.

Q. What point do you and Venus begin to sort of wink at each other, like We're getting pretty close to the final against each other?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, not until we're there. We're just really trying to stay focused. We both have some tough opponents coming into the quarterfinals. You know, I'm just trying to keep winning, to be honest.

Q. What do you remember most about the last time you did play Venus in a final here?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I told you that was a long time ago. I don't have a good memory. I need to get another memory. I'm desperate to get another memory (smiling).

Q. When you do play, what is the feeling of both of you being the only people on the court competing for a championship versus the difficulties?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I feel good. I mean, first of all, I feel good that I'm in the finals. Then I don't feel so good because I'm playing probably, for me, the toughest player in the draw for me to play. I mean, she's serving well, moving well, returning well. So this is always difficult.

Q. When you and Venus play, there are many similarities in the styles. On the other side, if it's a Federer/Nadal final, there are pronounced differences. When you look at them, what do you see is the biggest similarities and differences?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Between who? Me and Venus?

Q. Federer and Nadal.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I watch women's tennis (smiling).

Q. This is the first time in the Open era that none of the top three women seeds in a slam got to the quarterfinals. We're told it's the first time since 1927, if that's true, at Wimbledon. What do you make of all that?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I never thought about that until now. I feel like I should be one of the top seeds. So I feel like, you know, I'm living up to it, so...

Q. You don't think it's more depth in women's tennis; you think the seedings were a little bit off?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think there's a lot of depth. I actually never said that. I think there's a lot of depth in women's tennis. I mean, everyone, I've been saying for a while, is playing so well. You can't underestimate anyone, no matter who you're playing, wether it's the first round or you're in the finals. You have to play everyone with that same tenacity.

Q. Do you still feel you can become an exponentially better player?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Absolutely. I never felt like I reached my peak. And I feel like I can still get there.

Q. What sort of things do you work on?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I work on a lot of things. Most of all now I'm just working on, uhm, just being confident and staying relaxed.

Q. What are those differences and similarities between you and Venus when you play each other?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think Venus hits harder serves than I do. You don't have to nod your head that vigorously (laughter). I've tied her record. We have a tied record for the hardest serve, just so you know, which I'm really excited about (smiling). What else? We both run fast. I think the differences, I play more trick shots and dropshots and stuff like that. I don't hit as hard as V. Sometimes I'm watching her practice, I start thinking, Okay, I can play that game. But I feel like my game is really totally different than hers.

Q. Are you scouting each other when you play doubles?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No. I mean, like yesterday when we were practicing next to each other, I kept looking a little bit at her to see.

Q. You said you thought you should be seeded higher. Do you think they should do the seeding in a way more relating to performance on surface?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No. I meant by that I should be seeded higher, meaning I feel like my ability is better than what I'm ranked right now. I'm just trying to play the tournaments, just trying to do well consistently to get me where I think I should be.

Q. What memories do you have of Court No. 2 through the years? Do you remember any of the big upsets that occurred there, watching when you were a little kid? Is the mythology in your head at all?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Hmm. Again, I really don't have a good memory. But I've been I mean, I remember I played Jill Craybas on Court 2. I think I was destined to lose. It wasn't for me to win that year. That's pretty much all I remember about Court 2 (laughter).

Q. Do you feel sympathy for Jankovic, on Court 18 today, the No. 2 seed? Did you think that was strange?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I don't know. I didn't I really didn't even know. I'm really here to play my game. I had to play a tough opponent today, who was trying to win the match. So I really had to try to focus on that.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2008, 07:23:16 PM »

Q. You spoke yesterday about your superstition. You've been the same shower. Is that something you did today?

TAMARINE TANASUGARN: Yes.

Q. You will do before the game against Venus, I take it?

TAMARINE TANASUGARN: Well, I like to do, I like to be in the comfort zone. That probably is my comfort zone, so I probably do that again. I don't know, so...

Q. What are your thoughts on playing Venus Williams?

TAMARINE TANASUGARN: Uhm, I play her many times and she kick my butt, though (smiling). So, you know, for me, I just, you know, happy to be in quarterfinals. No pressure at all for me. You know, I just go out there and have fun and do my best. You know, I'm happy the way I am right now. Even if I win against her is really, wow, wow, wow, great feelings. But I just, you know, go out there and do my best and play great tennis, yeah.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2008, 07:25:31 PM »

Q. What are your thoughts now about playing Serena Williams, and what it will take for you to do well against her?

AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA: Well, first of all, you know, I have to play a very good match to beat her. I was playing once against her in Rome, in Berlin, sorry, on the clay court. But now is the grass, so I don't know. I will see.

Q. What's the biggest challenge about her game for you?

AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA: I mean, for sure she is a very great player, so is going to be the next challenge for me, you know, to play her in the quarterfinal in the Grand Slam. You know, I just will enjoy and try my best. I lost against her, so I'll try to do something tomorrow I guess.

Q. Do you like to play against Serena when she's the favorite and maybe people don't think you have too much chance? Are you happier than when people think you're the one who is going to win?

AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA: For sure it's a bit easier for me. Nothing to lose. So she is the favorite. But sometimes it is very hard. If she's playing very well, it's hard to do anything. So you're just losing, losing till the end. We'll see. Depends for her.

Q. Do you remember the first time you saw Serena play? Can you talk about your memories of that?

AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA: I mean, for sure was on TV many years ago, but I cannot remember first time. But long time ago.

Q. Just your images of what you saw of her as a player.

AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA: I mean, for sure she's a strong player and she can hit the ball, you know, very strong. Even in Berlin she was playing unbelievable against me. I was playing not that bad and I won just four games, so...

Q. What are the biggest strengths of your game that might give Serena the most trouble?

AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA: For sure I cannot play in the middle of the court. You know, just to making her run right left, right, left, and I think that's it.

Q. Are you optimistic?

AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA: Depends. But I have nothing to lose. You know, I just did my first quarterfinal at Wimbledon, so I'm already very happy about that. So now I'm just going to the court and try to beat one more good player

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2008, 07:27:16 PM »

Q. What do you think her chances are against Serena Williams, and what do you think it will depend on?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Well, this is gonna be the same thing. I guess Serena, she will hit harder. I don't know if she will come to the net so much, but she can do that. I think Serena gonna dictate a lot the game. Agnieszka, she play good. Very consistent player. But it's not something like she can beat you by winners. She's very consistent. She's always there. She makes you play. She never gonna lose match to herself, you know what I mean?

Q. What are her chances do you think of beating Serena?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Well, I don't know. You got to ask some guys who do the, you know, bets and stuff about chances. It's not my job to say that (smiling).

Q. Williams sisters are born for grass?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Well, they hit stronger possible and they of serve so well. Serving is very important. They serving bombs. Well, you go out there and try to do something with the serve. They play very good on the grass. And I think they didn't play so many tournaments so they're not so burn out, you know. Most of persons who get far in French Open didn't play this year good in Roland Garros, sorry, in Wimbledon. I don't know, if you look at statistics.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2008, 07:29:02 PM »
Serena Williams def. Bethanie Mattek 6-3, 6-3

Q. You didn't seem at all intimidated by the opponent or the moment or the stage. Is that true? You really looked pretty fearless out there.

BETHANIE MATTEK: Yeah, I wasn't. That's why I practice is to play on those courts. I love playing on stadiums. Of course I want to play against Serena or girls like that just to see how my game matches up. So I was really excited to play.It's not worth it to be scared out there. You get a chance, you might as well go for it.

Q. What did you learn about your game, how it's matching up?

BETHANIE MATTEK: It was a lot better. She played really well. She came up with some big serves. I think that was the difference was really the service games, and I wasn't able to hold the couple of games that I should have, and that was really the difference.

Q. Is that the toughest aspect of facing her, or is it something more abstract?

BETHANIE MATTEK: No, I think the toughest part is when the game is on the line, she comes up big. I mean, that's why she's a good player. That puts a lot of pressure on you to finish out games, which I wasn't able to do today.

Q. What did you see in Serena? What's your appraisal of her game at this stage, as so many people are talking about this seemingly inevitable march to a Serena-Venus final?

BETHANIE MATTEK: She's playing great tennis right now. I mean, like I said, she was serving bombs today, hit a couple like 118, 120s, I think. She's playing aggressive, she's coming to net, putting pressure on players, and I think a lot of girls will cave in. So I can see that for sure happening.

Q. What do you think if it does come down to Serena-Venus? What do you look for when you see the two of them match up, and what sense of appreciation do you have of that competition?

BETHANIE MATTEK: Oh, it just shows how dominating they are. You know, they're just both physical athletes and really put, again, put pressure on every other player to keep up the level. So you know, it's definitely good for tennis because we've all got to kind of catch up.

Q. And when you see them play one another, what do you look for between the two of them?

BETHANIE MATTEK: I don't know, it's tough. I couldn't imagine playing my sister in sports (laughter), so I don't know. It's really hard to play someone you love and care about and then be mean, basically, on the court. I'll give them some credit if and when that does happen, that they're able to do that.

Q. If I had told you before the tournament that there would not be a 1, a 2 or a 3 in the quarterfinals, what would you have said?

BETHANIE MATTEK: I would have said, "You're crazy." No, I think women's tennis is really getting a lot more depth. There's a lot more better players that are ranked 20, ranked 30, and even upcoming young players coming up. So I think in a way it's good for tennis that some of those seeds go down just so that some other players are able to get some recognition for how hard they work and how good they are.

Q. Just one more thing. We've talked about two similar players, Venus against Serena. On the other side people talk about the march to a Federer-Nadal final. When you look at them, what do you see as the biggest similarities, if any, and the biggest differences?

BETHANIE MATTEK: Similarities are they're both great competitors. They're great athletes in their own way. Obviously Federer is a lot smoother and Nadal is just hard-core out there. I mean, I think they're exact opposite personalities. So I think that's what makes it a cool rivalry, actually, to see them both -- you'll either love one or love the other because they're so different. I mean, it's really, I love watching their matches. I just think last year it was a five-set final between them, and that was really exciting. It just goes to show you Nadal can play on a lot of different surfaces.

Q. Are you a Nadal or a Federer person?

BETHANIE MATTEK: I am a Federer fan. I think he's smooth, I like his game, but I've actually watched Nadal a lot more this year and really appreciate his all-around game, and even his hands at net and stuff, nobody really gives him enough credit for that, but I think he's really talented in that area, and not just as a scrambler, clay-courter player.

Q. But don't you think Nadal has a certain pure raw love of competition and ferocity of play like your man Brett Favre?

BETHANIE MATTEK: Oh, yeah, definitely (laughing). You know, every match he just goes 100 percent and does what it takes. He could be in the back fence trying to hit somewhere. I mean, it's pretty cool. It's really, he just loves to play tennis. That's what I get from watching Nadal.

Q. You mentioned that they're so different in personality. What is the difference?

BETHANIE MATTEK: I think Nadal shows his emotions. He wears his emotions on his sleeve, whereas Federer is a little more internal. You know, he's just got a more calm, cool aspect about him. Nadal really gets your blood going, gets your juices flowing, and it's exciting to see him play. Nadal, you're just kind of watching him, you get mesmerized by him, and then all of a sudden he'll come up with this sick shot that just looks so easy. I don't know, it depends what style of tennis you like as to who you'd like to watch.

Q. There were two little blond girls cheering for you. Were they your sisters?

BETHANIE MATTEK: In the yellow shirts?

Q. Yes, they seemed maybe three or four years apart.

BETHANIE MATTEK: No, they're actually my boyfriend's little cousins, and they came over from the States.

Q. Well, that was my next question. I mean, having reached this really terrific round, did you have additional relatives come to see you today?

BETHANIE MATTEK: Not today. They actually all came for my doubles match -- my doubles and mixed doubles on Saturday, so they flew in from Pennsylvania. So I had like six people, it was nuts trying to get tickets for them.

Q. Do you mind sort of just listing the family members who were present today on court 2? Was it parents and a boyfriend and --

BETHANIE MATTEK: Yeah, it was okay, let me go through this. It was my boyfriend's mom, his aunt, his uncle and three cousins. And then I had a friend of mine and my hitting partner, obviously.

Q. And then if I could totally change topics, I'm increasingly curious about the decisions behind scheduling players on certain courts, and I'm just wondering about the politics of that, particularly as it relates to gender. Do you have any insight or feel, have you ever scratched your head, wondering, why does that happen?

BETHANIE MATTEK: Well, I mean, I saw both Williams sisters got shafted to Court 2 today, and it was two women's matches on the main courts and four mens' today. That was interesting. Obviously they might have their reasonings, but I'd like to see more women's matches on the bigger courts.

Q. The singles matches on Court 1 or Centre?

BETHANIE MATTEK: Yeah.

Q. Yeah, I think people are starting to wonder about that. Could you imagine a defending champion like Venus or a past champion like Serena in Roger Federer? Could you imagine him on Court 2?

BETHANIE MATTEK: No, I don't think Roger will ever play on Court 2. And I really, honestly, I was more surprised about Venus. I mean, I had already assumed on Saturday that I was probably going to play on Centre or 1, that was just a guess, and I was actually more surprised that Venus was on Court 2 being last year's champion.

Q. Were you aware that Jankovic, the No. 2 seed, played on Court 18?

BETHANIE MATTEK: 18, I saw that, yeah. That was kind of bonkers, yeah.

Q. She said she had to take a helicopter there, it was so far.

BETHANIE MATTEK: I know, I believe it. I was really surprised that she was all the way out there. I mean, she's 2 seed here, right? That's kind of shocking, actually.

Q. I have a question about the tour in general. Pro players have to face injuries, they have to face sort of the tough losses that sort of screw up their hopes, and then there's the travel. Of those three, the injuries, the losses and the travel, how would you rank them?

BETHANIE MATTEK: Injuries probably being number one toughest to deal with, losses, then travel. Travel, you've just got to kind of deal with it; everyone does. For me any ways personally, it affects me more towards the end of the year. That's when I start to feel, that's when I'm mean to the security guards at airports, so I'm not as patient as I am in January. But losses are just as tough. I mean, you can lose a first round of one tournament 7-6 in the third and you have no idea what to do for the rest of the week then. It's really kind of a combination of learning how to deal with everything because everyone is going to go through all three of them.

Q. And I was confused how to interpret your comments the other day. Do you have something up your sleeve fashion-wise for the Open?

BETHANIE MATTEK: Definitely, yeah, I do. I played it low key this tournament. Again, the outfit I was wearing was working for me. I figured, why change anything. I stuck with the same shower, the same breakfast, I was like, I'll just stick with it. But I'm actually going to get a little more in detail on designing my own stuff for US Open.

Q. Here we've been loyal, we've gone to this deep interview. Give us a little, are we going to go thematic like thrift shop, are we going color, texture? Give us a little fashion hint here.

BETHANIE MATTEK: Honestly, I haven't even thought about it. One of my, I don't know, I'm going to talk with Bebe Sport again. That's who I'm wearing. After this tournament obviously my ranking is going to go up, so I'll probably be on the lookout for another clothing sponsor since I'm not technically signed with Bebe Sport.

If something happens before the Open with another company, my goal is to have somebody make me my own line and where I have input. It's up in the air right now.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2008, 04:48:34 PM »
Tuesday, 1 July 2008

Venus Williams def. Tamarine Tanasugarn 6-4, 6-3

Q. What's the situation with the hamstring? Is it the right one? When did you notice it?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I'm fine. I mean, I'm walking around on two legs, doing good, so I'm not really concerned right now, no.

Q. Did it happen in that match?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I mean, there's really nothing happening. I think just regular maintenance and I'll be fine I think for the doubles.

Q. Looked like you were limping off at the end of the match. A little bit of a slow pace.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I guess so. I mean, I just had to run on the last point, so I guess I was tired. I don't know. But I promise, I'm fine. Thank you for your concern, you guys.

Q. Can you say, was it the right that the temporarily bothering you?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, the left.

Q. What are your thoughts on the match today?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think it was a good match. Obviously she was playing well to get to the quarterfinals.

You have to play really well to get to the quarters of a slam. I think her game is really suited for the grass. Her serve is a slice that turns into you and it stays low. Her shots are really, really low to the ground. A lot of time I think I was battling just to stay down on the shots, and I felt good when I got one up in my strike zone.

Q. What do you think makes your game so well-suited for the grass?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Uhm, I think I have a lot of power, so it helps (laughter). Definitely the power helps, yeah.

Q. What are the other attributes of your play that really help when you play on this surface?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think that I'm aggressive, so that helps a ton. The ball's gonna go through the court if you're moving forward. My serve is very difficult to return on this surface. Once it bounces, it's just going even faster maybe. So I think all those factors help a ton.

Q. And how does your serve compare with Serena's?

VENUS WILLIAMS: We're different. I serve big almost every time. She goes for a little more placement. She might mix it up a little more. I mix it up, too. But I serve a little bigger, I think, more consistently.

Q. You were serving bigger than you normally do. Cracking the ball today. Is this one of those days where you started out and the rhythm felt so good you just pumped up the volume on the serve?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think my key has been serve in this tournament. Any time I'm down breakpoint, double break or something like that, my serve gets me out of it.

The challenge this year has been the sun. I've never had to serve in the sun at this tournament. I've played every day at noon or 1:00 and it's always cloudy, so I'm over there trying to serve. I can't see the ball after I serve. I'm blinded, so it's pretty interesting.

Q. Did you feel the one place where you somewhat got into trouble when you had some odd points were when you let her play into the points and you had longer rallies?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I mean, she was good off the rallies. You know, she was hitting the ball really deep, and then they were just going high and then it bounces in on the line. She was moving the ball around very well. I think that's what got her obviously to the quarters here. So I think I have a little bit more I think in my game than maybe the players she played before, and that helped me get through it.

Q. I believe she converted just one of 10 breakpoints. Could you speak about the mental process you go through when you are facing a breakpoint? Because it does seem when you must you absolutely produce an ace or something unreturnable.

VENUS WILLIAMS: I really expect that from myself. I expect when times are tough to really get going. That's, you know, been the basis of my game I think for a long time. Just in those breakpoints you've got to play better, so I'm really blessed to be able to have a serve to get me out of those issues.

Q. You had the one really long game in the first set. When you came through that, do you think that was a key to the match?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think that was a good game in the match, because if I would have lost serve there I would have been disappointed because I'm not used to losing serve twice in a row. It would have been a little bit different, I think, the dynamic. You know, I was a little bit disappointed to be facing those breakpoints. But it's important to not think about the past, but look forward and think about the present. So that helped me in that game.

Q. You've won a lot of different tournaments at a lot of different places. Do you think a person has a special relationship with a place, with a tournament?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I think so. I think some players have played well in different places. Obviously for me it's here, and that's awesome. I think here and probably the US Open are my best slams. And I don't mind. Those are the two biggest ones, so it's good for me.

Q. At the beginning of the year is this the tournament you are looking for? You are already thinking during the other tournaments of Wimbledon? In Rome you were playing aggressive on the net a lot. Is it a process to Wimbledon?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, not really, because it's so far away at the beginning of the year. No, not really. I think my dad thinks that way, though, to be honest. He's always talking about that.

Q. Have you and Serena consciously decided not to talk about a final until you get there?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, 'cause we don't really talk about tennis a lot. The most we talk about tennis is when we're on the doubles court. We discuss the strategy and pump each other up. But, no. We want to deserve to be there. We have to play the best tennis to deserve it, so our aim is just to play better than our opponents and really deserve to be there.

Q. What are your thoughts on the Dementieva? What is most challenging about her game?

VENUS WILLIAMS: She tries really hard. She fights really well. She has good movement. I think that's really some of her strengths. And she's a very consistent player, so I think that that's what she does well.

Q. Do you have any special empathy, given her difficulties in closing out matches that are pretty well-documented? In fact, when you were out there today, she had great trouble closing out her match. Do you recall some of the problems she's had?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I really haven't watched her that closely.

Q. With the top four players going out, is there a feeling among you and your sister that the two of you can back to the very top of the game and perhaps dominate as you did a few years ago?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I think it doesn't matter for us how the next player's playing, we believe that we're the best on the court at that moment. So it doesn't matter who's in the tournament or not in the tournament. This tournament or any other tournament, it doesn't play a factor in how we feel about ourselves.

Q. A lot of people are making you favorite. Do you feel favorite now for this tournament?

VENUS WILLIAMS: It's nice to be favorite, that's for sure. But I'm gonna go out there and work just as hard as if I was or if I wasn't the favorite.

Q. Tomorrow is going to be the 20th anniversary of Steffi Graf's first win here in Wimbledon. You played her in her last appearance in Wimbledon. What do you remember of her or that match?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I missed this volley, forehand volley. Yeah, I didn't know that much at the time. It was tough. I was very young and hadn't played a lot of tennis. I mean, I think I was 19, but it was really only my second full year on the tour 'cause I went to high school and stuff. I learned my lessons, and by the next year I won.

Q. Which comes first, proving you're the best grass court player at Wimbledon or proving you're the best grass court player in the family?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't have anything to prove at all. I'm very happy and blessed as a person in my life. I think just to be happy and healthy enough to be here playing, that's really all it's about.

Q. After the US Open last year you had some medical issues. Your mother talked about getting you up to someplace for a complete workup. What have you found out about your body and what you need to do to stay completely healthy?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I need to pray continuously and hope for the best. I don't know. I've been really unlucky. I just want to feel good all the time, just be healthy. That's all I want.

Q. Any repeat of the anemia that you had at the US Open?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Has there been a repeat? I mean, it's just something that you have to always be working on. It's not overnight cure.

Q. Walking upstairs, there are pictures of the past champions. There's 2000, you. Eight years is a long time to dominate in tennis, isn't it? Are you a little surprised that you're still up there, having won here is 2000 and back in 2008 with a chance to win?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I'm very excited, surprised. I'm not sure what that girl in 2000 was thinking. I think she was reading like a Harry Potter book. You know, the 27-year-old Venus also read the Harry Potter book, so not much has changed. It's still good times, and I love that.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2008, 04:49:22 PM »
 Players

S. Williams Interview - 1 July

Click here for standalone player
Tuesday, 1 July 2008

Serena Williams def. Agnieszka Radwanska 6-4, 6-0

THE MODERATOR: Serena Williams for you.

Q. It's all going according to plan at the moment, cruising through this competition.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm trying. Just trying to peak at the right moments: not too soon, not too late.

Q. Did you watch Venus and how she overpowered her opponent?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I saw Venus' match. The match before me went a little bit longer than I expected, so I did get a chance to see a little bit of her match. Watching the competition a little bit.

Q. She said you don't really talk to each other about tennis apart from when you're playing doubles. Is that right?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, we don't necessarily talk about tennis too much. We talk about everything else. Lately on the doubles court we've been really talking about strategy. I think it's paying off.

Q. There are pictures of all the former champions. Venus won eight years ago. You won five years ago. Do you say, My, God, it's already five years? Did you think you would be here again five years later, the two of you dominating the way you did then?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I always expect to be here. I always expect the best. Time flies, you know. I feel like 2001 was just like two years ago, but it wasn't.

So time's flying.

Q. She was talking about the girl in the beads and reading Harry Potter when she won here in 2000.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I kind of just read the last one, so... I think I need to grow up.

Q. In one way or another, do you think the name "Williams" is going to be on the trophy this year?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I surely hope so. I've got to say that I believe so. I'm just fighting to win my, you know, next match.

Q. You will be playing Zheng Jie of China. Do you have any thoughts concerning your opponent?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I've been watching her play. I think she's doing a fabulous job, and I don't think it's luck, her doing so well. I think she's a really good player.

I'm definitely not going to underestimate her, try to fight, do the best that I can do.

Q. What did you expect from Radwanska? Do you feel that was your most dominating performance so far here? Do you feel you stepped it up a notch?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I definitely felt I stepped it up a notch, mostly with my serve. I expected Radwanska to get a lot of balls back, like she did, and make some good shots, like she did, you know, hit an extra ball, like I had to do out there.

Q. Do you think you and Venus can become No. 1 and 2 again? Is that still your target?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, my target is obviously to be the best in my sport. I don't really know what her target is.

Q. You were way down the rankings only a year or so ago. Are you amazed how quickly you've come back up?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, no. I mean, I have the potential I think to play with anyone. I'm just trying to stay focused, you know, focus on the shot and focus on my match, just focus on tasks at hand.

I think that really helps me to propel myself from ranked low into being ranked higher.

Q. Does this surface demand more aggressive serving and returning from you, in particular?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think it does. I mean, the ball, especially later on in the week, the balls get so low and you never know what kind of bounce you're gonna get. You kind of got to just be aggressive, I think.

Q. There's a fine line between being aggressive and also keeping the ball inside the court. How do you work with that?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, it's important to definitely stay aggressive, but I guess add spin and keep it in the court. The longer you play, the more important and the more easier it is to do that.

Q. Do you feel the serve click in today? Earlier in the tournament you said you served well in practice but not in the matches. Was today the match where it really came together?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I felt my serve really clicked. I think that was the turning point of the whole match. I just really served a lot of first serves.

I mean, I placed 'em well. You know, this is how I'm used to serving. Just like I want to keep this serving up.

Q. If you and Venus advance to the final, sharing a flat, what is that breakfast like on Saturday morning?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm going to sabotage her and eat all the breakfast. I'll eat all the Wheaties so she doesn't have any chance, if we get that far.

Q. The Bryan brothers focus on tennis, but they have a sense of knowing what the next move is. Do you have the sense with Venus, ESP, or is it more clunky?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think I do have that sense, but just because I've practiced against her so much and I know her game and I watch her game and I kind of know what's going on. You know, she's an opponent. You scout your opponents.

Q. Unlike some other slams, this one you haven't really been able to go into wild celebrations because you beat Venus in the finals. Obviously when you beat your sister you don't want to go too crazy.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I never went too crazy after any of my Grand Slam wins. I've kind of always just been kind of reserved. After I win I feel like I have another match, so I'm always still focused. It's a weird sensation.

So, yeah, but it's always good to win. There's nothing like that.

Q. Do you remember when she beat you here for the first time? You were none too happy. She put her arm around you and consoled you.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I hate to lose.

Q. Is that a bittersweet memory?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I feel kind of weird. Like why was I crying? It wasn't that serious. I think it was in the semifinals. I should have been happy. But I felt like I was playing so well that year. I don't know. I guess I just didn't want to lose.

Q. Can a Williams win the summer slams, here and in Beijing and at the US Open?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, we definitely hope so. Right now I'm focused on my next opponent and Venus is focused on hers. That's the only thing we look forward to next.

Q. Does it hurt you more to lose to Venus than to others, or does it hurt less?

SERENA WILLIAMS: It definitely hurts less to lose to her. I mean, I'll be bitter, but at the end of the day it's a lot easier to losing to someone that I feel I should normally beat.

Q. Do you see your sister as the favorite for this tournament now?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I would never sit here and say she's the favorite when I'm still in the draw. What are you on?

Q. The oddsmakers are 11‑5, 13‑5. She is the favorite slightly.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, well, she won last year. Maybe that has something to do with it. But I'm not going to sit here and say she's the favorite when I'm still in the tournament. That's not me. I always believe that I'm the favorite. Even if I'm not the favorite, I'm always going to believe that I am.

Q. When you come in here, you're seeded 6 and 7, everybody is talking about other players, the belief that you can win all the time has driven you forward?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I mean, I always believe I can win. When I lose no one is more disappointed than I am.

I feel like I've been working really hard lately. I'm just waiting on the results to come. I had some really good results earlier this year. You know, I just was waiting.

I feel like, you know, I deserve this, because I don't think anyone's been working harder than me, except for maybe Venus. I mean, that girl works even harder than I do.

I just feel like it's about time.

Q. Considering the weather here so far, do you feel like that raincoat was a little bit in vain?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I feel like I should make one for next year because it's been a good omen for the weather.

Q. Do you feel you're more competitive than Venus, or do you feel like you each show it in a different way? You express it a lot more. How would you explain each of your competitive spirits?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I'm definitely more expressive with my competitive spirit. Venus is definitely competitive, but more low‑key, where I'm more out there.

Q. Was it like that when you were young, playing games as little girls?

SERENA WILLIAMS: It's kind of always been like that. She's always been a little more quiet and I've been a little more outgoing personality‑wise.

Q. If you could have one of Venus' characteristics or qualities, what would it be?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Wow, I would have her legs. She has the sexiest legs.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2008, 04:50:34 PM »
I've always thought that this was one of the best Serena pictures:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2008, 10:52:30 PM »
V. and S. Williams Interview - 2 July

Wednesday, 2 July 2008

Venus and Serena Williams def. Bethanie Mattek and Sania Mirza, 6-4, 6-3

Q. How would you describe the relationship between you and the bond you two have?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I think we have a great relationship. We really support each other and we're there for each other no matter what.

I think that's what sisters are about, so we definitely are role models for each other. We're extremely motivated by each other, win or loss, on or off the court.

Q. Serena?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I completely zoned out. I don't even remember the question.

Q. How would you describe the relationship between you and the bond the two of you share?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I just think our relationship is just really close. Obviously a sisterly relationship. Just we're like two peas in a pod.

Q. What inspires you most that you see in Venus?

SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, just everything that she does inspires me.

Q. And, Venus, about Serena?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I think she's really fearless, and I learned a lot from her on that.

Q. Venus, if you could sit back and get one characteristic or attribute from your sister, what would that be?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think she has a real joy for life, and I think she really does that really well. I would totally do that, if I could.

Q. Venus, do you still feel a lot like an older sister? You're sort of equal in your tennis world, but do you still feel like big sister over your little sister?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Oh, absolutely. That's my job. That's a huge part of my life, is being a big sister. I love that job. It makes me really proud. I'm always happy when I can help out. It's definitely one of the joys of my life.

Q. Do you give advice, solicited or unsolicited?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yes, I do give advice. It doesn't matter, we laugh about everything and anything. It's more about happy advice.

Q. Do you think it's more important for you to be a big sister because you're also a little sister?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, yeah, I guess so. I guess whenever I need a big sister I have one to go to.

Q. Serena, it's not always easy to be the second one, the younger one. Do you ever wish that you might be the older one?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Oh, never. It's good being the youngest. You get away with a lot.

Q. Like what?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Whatever I want, I get away with it, so...

You know, it's the best thing in the world.

Q. Do you feel like you were kind of the spoiled baby of the family?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Totally, for sure. It's perfect. I love it.

Q. Can you tell us a little about your domestic arrangement here. Are you cooking for each other, sleeping back to back? What's the setup?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, we just live together. We don't do any cooking. I usually do all the cooking in Florida for her.

VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't cook.

SERENA WILLIAMS: But here we haven't done too much cooking. We just eat out every night, get take away, watch TV.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, you cooked last year more.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I cooked a lot last year, not this year.

Q. Do you generally go to dinner together or eat dinner together?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, not this year, because we've been playing doubles so late that our life is confined to the tennis center and to the house. But it's a privilege.

Q. When it comes to choosing a doubles partner, obviously you don't have a choice here, but the couple times you played mixed doubles, how have you got into playing with Justin Gimelstob or Max Mirnyi? How have those partnerships come together?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, we just look for people that we feel we would get along with both on and off the court, because it's important in doubles to have a great dynamic with that person.

And then I always look for someone who has a big serve so I don't have to work so hard. Hence, my doubles partner.

Q. I saw Serena's picture in the Olympic book that the ITF did as an ice skater. Why did you choose not to be a part of that project?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I was honestly so busy, I had no free time. I was happy that Serena was in the book.

Q. What would you have picked as a sport if you had a choice?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't know. A diver.

Q. You mentioned sometimes you get take away. What's your favorite take away this year at Wimbledon?

SERENA WILLIAMS: This year we've been eating a lot of Chinese food. Just lots of, you know, chicken and rice, so...

Q. What do you learn from playing doubles together? Do you feel like you learn a lot about each other's single's games, too, for when you play each other?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think the doubles gets us really amped for the singles, and the next day we're all tuned and ready to go. And I think that we just we love playing doubles.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I think the doubles I think for me it helps my singles. I feel like I'm not necessarily out there scouting her game for singles although maybe I should.

It's like we're so intense and so in the moment because we really want to win the doubles and just win our matches and do well. So it's just like we're focused on that.

Q. Speaking of doubles, when it comes to that all important area of love life, who gives the best advice?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I'm a relationship expert, so... .

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yes.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm a certified relationship expert.

Q. So you're the go to person?

SERENA WILLIAMS: If they ever have a relationship problem, they always come to me.

Q. What has been the biggest challenge that tennis has provided to your relationship as sisters, do you think?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I think we don't get to see each other as much as we would like. If one of us is playing in another place or another person has a commitment with one of our sponsors that's a challenge, because we're really close and love to see each other. That's the biggest challenge.

Q. Serena, what would be your answer?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I would agree. You know, sometimes I go five, six weeks without seeing Venus, or I'll be home and then I'll leave the day she comes. We always miss paths. We're always playing or somewhere working.

Q. How is competition sometimes between each other challenging to your relationship, if at all?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, it hasn't challenged my relationship. I mean, we leave everything on the court. We're sisters the moment we shake hands.

Q. How do you think you've come by this? I don't get along that well with my sister, but you seem to be rather attached. We have more of the sibling rivalry. Is it something you think your parents did in raising you that you seem to have a healthy attitude?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I think our parents did that. It's not only with us, it's all of our sisters. It's really just our whole life is surrounded by our sisters. That's just how it is for us, so we're blessed.

Q. Could you imagine where you would be in your lives if your father hadn't introduced you to tennis?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I would do whatever she would be doing, so...

VENUS WILLIAMS: I would have been in college, I would have probably been modeling, and then I probably would have been a music producer and a choreographer.

Q. Serena, you mentioned you normally get what you want in the family relationship. Do you think that will extend to the singles title?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm gonna hope so, but I doubt it.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »
YEAH b**chES!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

Offline Gwadaboy

• Tennis Player
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2008, 01:47:28 PM »
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/...096487375.html

V. Williams interview - 3 July

Thursday, 3 July 2008

Venus Williams def. Elena Dementieva 6-1, 7-6

Q. You were jumping up and down like a little kid out there. What was going through your mind?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I mean, I guess it started to set in a little bit about being in the final, which is always exciting. When I'm excited I always jump. That I guess will never change. But still I felt like the tournament was not over. I'm still in the doubles tomorrow and still have that final match to play, still one step further. So definitely would like to celebrate even more if I'm good enough to take that title.

Q. Do you ever feel like jumping up and down during the middle of a match? You're pretty contained until after you win.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I'm really contained. I mean, I don't fist pump a lot because I expect to win the point. It's not like if I win the point that it's like something that I wasn't expecting, so that's why I don't fist pump a ton. I mean, there's definitely some points where, you know, you need that point, and it's just exhilarating. For me, that's when the pump comes. But if I'm feeling up or down no one can tell. I can hardly tell, so... I just stay even-keeled no matter what.

Q. Serena said if you play she's gonna steal your breakfast. What kind of match do you expect between the two of you? She's leading 5-2. Looks like she'll win. What sort of tactics and strategy?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Uhm, obviously I rely on my serve a lot. When I get it going it helps me out a ton. I think being able to go out there and return really well will be key for me. I'll definitely use my speed. As always, to win a title, you've got to play aggressive and not just hope that your opponent misses. So all of those things.

Q. Force the issue?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Always. Every day.

Q. Will you and Serena talk any more or any less between now and the final than you would normally?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No. Just normal.

Q. How have you seen her change in the last few years, both personally and as a player? What differences do you see in Serena?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I think that we share even more things together off the court. We definitely rely on each other's advice even more. You know, I was a big sister. I was kind of like, you never make mistakes. So then I think sometimes it put pressure on her like to be perfect, too. Not that I'm perfect. But I'm just really like a nerd (laughter). She wasn't exactly that way, so I think we both now know our roles in the relationship and we support each other.

Q. Away from the relationship, just her away from Venus as a person and as a player. Have you seen her mature?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think she's definitely matured in a lot of ways. I don't really worry about her that much. I respect the decisions that she's gonna make. I don't worry that she's gonna make a decision that I'm going to try to be trying to et her not to make. On the court, she's always Serena Williams. She's tenacious. She's got every shot no matter what. You can't bet against her.

Q. Several players have said they can't even imagine the idea of playing against a sister on a grand stage. What has it been like for you and for Serena and what strain, if any, has it put on each of you as individuals?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I don't think a lot of players could imagine it. I think that a lot of players never have a sibling that's a world-class athlete, and they also find themselves a world-class athlete at the top of their game. That's a blessing in itself. And I think, you know, if other people did find themselves in that situation, I think that they would be happy for their sister or brother or their sibling because they really would want to see them do well and that they wouldn't want to see them have a tough loss or not win a match that they should have won or have a close loss or anything like that. They'd want to see them go all the way. They would want to meet them. It's really just about wanting the best for your sister and just really wanting to see her do well - until she plays you, obviously (smiling).

Q. What factor in your mind is the fact that Serena beat you here the last two times you played in this situation?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Uhm, of course I respect her as a player more than anyone else on the tour. I think that's really the only factor that goes into it. I actually do respect her as a player.

Q. Some have noted, believe it or not, there's still a skepticism in the public in terms of one Williams sister playing another. Elena Dementieva just said that she felt the outcome of the final would be a result of a family decision. Could you talk to the public in terms of what happens when Venus plays Serena and whether there's any family decision, any discussion beforehand.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, the main thing is that I find the question pretty offensive because I'm extremely professional in everything that I do on and off the court. I contribute my best in my sport, and I also have a ton of respect for myself and my family. So any mention of that is extremely disrespectful for who I am, what I stand for, and my family. That's pretty much how I feel about the whole subject.

Q. I think Elena --

VENUS WILLIAMS: I'm not talking about her. I'm talking about the question.

Q. I think he had it wrong. I think Elena didn't understand it. She was talking very complimentary about both of you. She said it's going to be a family decision, that someone in the family is going to win. I think it was a language issue. I don't think she was saying it was a family decision.

VENUS WILLIAMS: We need to move on from this subject because it's ridiculous.

Q. Venus, it's been five years since you and Serena have been in a Grand Slam final, primarily because of health issues and what have you. I wonder if you would take a moment and reflect on what it means, assuming she wins, for the two of you to get on to the very top of the tennis world once again?

VENUS WILLIAMS: At this point our main focus is obviously both of us was getting to the final. Then from there it's every Williams for themself. I mean, our goal is just to be healthy. I think if we can be healthy, then we can do well and continue to climb the rankings. So of course we believe we can be on top, but we just have to keep our fingers crossed, keep working hard, and go for it.

Q. Is it ever awkward when you're playing your sister and, like you said before, you don't want to see her down, you don't want to see her play poorly. If your sister is all of a sudden playing poorly against you, you're creaming her, do you ever feel sad for her?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, no. Not even when I was younger.

Q. You played her 15 times. Can you just talk about a couple of the moments or matches that most stand out for you.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Geez, where do I start?

Q. You started in Australia in '98.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah. I mean, I remember the Australian Open final. I really played the best that I could and she was just better. I mean, there were a series of matches where I just -- she was just better than I was at that point, you know, on that day. She was definitely on a high. I had just came off of a couple years of just winning everything. I was tired. And then she had come off a couple years of not winning everything and she was more pumped. So it was kind of like this, you know, balance of her going up and me kind of being a little tired, a little burned out probably. But, you know, I think obviously playing here were some great finals. I think some of my best memories are here.

Q. Tomorrow night when you have finished on the doubles court, will you go your separate ways?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, we live together, so we'll go home together.

Q. Even though you're living together, will you spend the whole night together tomorrow night?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I mean, we both prepare in different ways. I usually read a book. She usually watches a video. I mean, just the normal. Just the same preparation.

Q. Do you say anything to each other right before? Is there something you always say to each other before you're going to play each other?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No. I mean, at that point there's no more advice. I'll give her advice for this match, but she's not gonna say, Okay, now make sure you play my forehand because, you know, my wrist has been hurting. You know, none of that.

Q. Can you imagine having a career on the pro circuit without Serena?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No. I don't think I'd be as good, because I was so inspired by her so many times. She really helped me to really be a fighter and to really dig deep. I think that's really what she gave me.

Q. It's no secret that your family came to tennis in a different way. You didn't play the juniors. Barring injuries, you've taken more time off, scheduled yourself better. A lot of people didn't do that. Yet you're 26, Serena is 26, and you're still in the thick of things. Is that an endorsement towards taking an unorthodox approach to the game?

VENUS WILLIAMS: We have really good genetic. I think it's all in the genes, to be honest. My mom and dad were really good athletes. I think it's just a blessing in the genes. I actually do think the time off did contribute. We didn't really start off very fast. All of it rolled in one.

Q. That first final at Key Biscayne seems so long ago. What do you recall about the tension, if there was any, before that match, then maybe the relief after the match was over?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I definitely wanted to win. I think that my family wanted me to win because I was the older sister. So they thought I should win this title because I was older, and then Serena would have a chance after. Personally that's what I felt. They didn't say anything. There have been other times where I felt like they felt like, Serena hasn't won, so it's her turn to win.

Q. It was like a coming out party for Serena?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Was it? I don't know, because she had been playing great tennis before that, so I guess it was just a way on the road to glory for her.