Author Topic: THE WILLIAMS SISTERS THREAD: Quotes, photos, and other stuff... :)~  (Read 40227 times)

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
Re: THE WILLIAMS SISTERS THREAD: Quotes, photos, and other stuff... :)~
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2008, 04:14:26 PM »
Venus!  :)

Where is this from???
I didn't miss the Espy's did I??
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2008, 04:28:08 PM »
I imagined it was at the Wimbledon Ball last night. ESPYs haven't been yet as Maria is up for a nomination as 'Best Female Tennis Player' alongside Henin and Ivanovic. They are held on Sunday 20th July in LA.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2008, 04:37:26 PM »
I imagined it was at the Wimbledon Ball last night. ESPYs haven't been yet as Maria is up for a nomination as 'Best Female Tennis Player' alongside Henin and Ivanovic. They are held on Sunday 20th July in LA.

You know very well that Henin's gonna win it. They're gonna make it that way... and I think that Venus is gonna be added to that category b/c of Wimbledon

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2008, 04:52:25 PM »

You know very well that Henin's gonna win it. They're gonna make it that way... and I think that Venus is gonna be added to that category b/c of Wimbledon

Henin should win it with the 2 Slams and the number 1 from last year. Maria won't overly mind whether or not she wins it. Not sure if they will add Venus as voting has already started and she'd be at a huge disadvantage now as it started about 10 days ago.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2008, 09:55:47 PM »
Venus is gonna be on Larry King on Wednesday.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2008, 09:08:14 PM »
Venus is gonna be on Larry King on Wednesday.

I saw that interview..
It was pretty good. Nothing new revealed. But hey, I'm borderline stalker so what could be new? lol

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2008, 12:57:08 AM »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2008, 01:45:12 PM »
3 of my favorites together.  Venus is smiling... Serena is not...wonder what's wrong with her?

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2008, 05:27:46 PM »
Are they going to be healthy for the US Open?  I hope so, because this year it is wide open and I could see either one of them taking it.
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »
Are they going to be healthy for the US Open?  I hope so, because this year it is wide open and I could see either one of them taking it.

That's the million dollar question with these 2.  It is wide open so IF they can just come to the tournament healthy - they have to be one of the favorites.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2008, 10:17:08 AM »
Venus Williams

BEIJING, CHINA

V. WILLIAMS/T. Bacsinszky
6-3, 6-2

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Serena was saying earlier everywhere she's gone she's been mobbed for autographs. Have you had similar experiences since you've come to Beijing?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, everyone's been excited. So that's a good thing. Everybody's excited about the Olympics, and I'm part of the Olympics, so I feel like I'm part of the whole movement.

Q. Before you came here, what athletes were you excited to meet or what events did you think you wanted to go to? Have you had time to do any of that yet?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I had no illusions. I'll be here all day every day hopefully, playing the singles and the doubles. I don't think I'll get to see anything or meet anyone.
It will be a privilege, though, to be playing later into the rounds.

Q. How did you feel about the match today?
VENUS WILLIAMS: I feel really good about the match. That was my first match since the Wimbledon doubles final. I was really pleased. Not a lot of unforced errors. No service breaks for me.
I thought she played really tough, served really well. She missed a couple of shots that helped me. But in general I thought it was a well-contested match, and I think I did the right things to come out on top.

Q. I understand that you have won the championship for both singles and doubles of the Sydney Olympic Games. You also won the championship for the singles in Wimbledon. In Beijing this time you'll be playing both singles and doubles. What is your expectation for the Games here and how do you distribute your energy for the coming American matches?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, obviously, I mean, the first part is being part of the Olympic spirit, which is the first thing, competing in the games. That's what it's about: competing and peaceful relations.
Second, of course I would love to have gold in both events. I have to work hard to deserve it. I'm willing to do that and make those sacrifices.
As far as energy for both matches, or both events, I mean, I know it's going to take a lot of energy. But fortunately I have a really good partner, name's Serena Williams, and she's going to do more than half the work, so that's going to help me a lot.

Q. How long did it take you to come down from the high of winning Wimbledon and then to start thinking about the Olympics?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, immediately because I had to play doubles. I really, really wanted to win that, so I got really focused. Of course, after that was great.
For me, I think that title meant a lot. I think that I'll always carry that title with me on the court, just the whole whatever it took to win, I'll take that with me every time. So it meant a lot to me.

Q. I would like you to give us a brief introduction of your feelings after you arrived in Beijing in terms of the preparation and the value, the venue for the tennis matches. We actually have several million listeners. I would wonder if you would like to say a few words to our audience.
VENUS WILLIAMS: I'd like to say hello. I'm very happy to be in Beijing. Of course, I was waiting for this moment since Athens. I hope that they get to see the tennis that I'm playing, along with the other competitors, on TV or in person.

Q. I know you have an interest in fashion design and you also have a professional certificate in this field. I wonder if you have any new works and whether your trip to Beijing this time, particularly the Chinese elements in the opening ceremonies, has given you any enlightenment?
VENUS WILLIAMS: The question was, was I inspired by Chinese design?

Q. Yes.
VENUS WILLIAMS: Yes, of course, I love Chinese design. I love the different motifs and the different patterns. I think also it's inspirational, the different design periods, I mean, so many thousands of years of history, I think. You can find so much inspiration in those thousands of years. So, of course, it's very inspirational for me.
A lot of times I'll buy books when I go to different countries, and it just shows different designs and different patterns. Of course, I have one from here, too.

End of FastScripts

Serena Williams

BEIJING, CHINA

S. WILLIAMS/O. Govortsova
6-3, 6-1

Q. Can you tell us, this experience, do you remember the one in Sydney? Do you see some difference in the Olympic atmosphere? Is it the same? What has changed? Do you like it more? Less?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It brings back memories from Sydney. I didn't remember too much because I didn't go to Athens. But, you know, I was a little nervous going out there yesterday because, you know, it's the first time you played singles at the Olympics. And, you know, obviously I wanted to win and I wanted to do well.
Like, you know, it's a great thing going out there playing for your country. It's cool. You get to play and see all these other athletes. You think about it, it's like, my God, it's the Olympics.

Q. I'm sure you've been asked a million times before, but how does the atmosphere differ between a Grand Slam and an Olympics? What would you rather have, a Wimbledon title or an Olympic gold medal?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, for me, my whole life as an athlete, I've been working to win Grand Slams. As a tennis player, you never work to win a gold medal.
But my gold medal is the only trophy that I really, like, want to show to people. It's my favorite thing that I have. So it's hard to say.

Q. How many photos and how many autographs did you sign in the village? How many people asked you? Do the athletes stop you asking for a photo and autograph? Did you ask another athlete for an autograph? Which one would you like to have?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I'm not staying at the village. But I went to the village the other day. I was bombarded with lots of people and lots of photos. It was a lot. I can't count. But it was cool, I guess. I mean, these athletes sometimes don't get to see other athletes in such an intimate way.
Who would I like? I like taking pictures of everybody. I mean, Michael Phelps, because I think he does so well. So that would be kind of cool.

Q. Have you been getting around much? Have you been going to see anything? On the part of the aspect of meeting other athletes, all that, you're used to getting autograph requests from general fans, but does it seem strange that other elite athletes would be asking you for pictures and autographs?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I haven't been able to do much. You know, the team got here late last week. And we were training and practicing. The only thing I got to do was go to the village, which was really cool for me. I went with Venus. We both went to the village.
It is weird when someone from, like, Australia or all these other countries who are doing so well, they come and ask you for an autograph or a photo. It's like, you know, Okay, you're an athlete, you're doing well, too. So, if anything, it's such a big compliment to myself, it makes me feel really, like, cool.

Q. How do you find the draw? You could meet Radwanska. How about that? You beat her easily. Do you like playing her or not?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, we both have to win our matches to get there. Radwanska, I think she does well. I know she's in the top 10 now. I think that's amazing. I think she has a really good game. And she's young, and she has a lot of room to improve. So that's when your game is really amazing: when you have room for improvement.

Q. Which was a tougher workout, standing in the opening ceremonies for four hours, or playing the match today?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Today because I didn't go to opening ceremonies.

Q. What is your impression of Beijing? How do you feel about the venues in terms of the hardware? How do you feel about the spectators?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think it's awesome how Beijing has come through with the Olympic Games. I love, most of all, the Olympic Lane, so we never have traffic. It's really cool. I mean, it wasn't like that the other Olympics I went to. So I think that's cool. I can see, like, all the venues. It looks like it was really well-organized and well put together and well thought out. It's really amazing to see.

Q. If someone naughty would say tennis players sometimes are a little spoiled because all the best athletes in the world go maybe in the village, they live in the village, go to the ceremony. Some others don't participate. What would you answer? You want to win, but everyone wants to win. Do you think you need your concentration, you need a nice luxurious hotel?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, there are a few tennis players staying in the village. I know Lindsay is, James Blake, whatnot. But I just choose not to stay in the village because, you know, I mean, I like privacy. I don't always want people around me, like all that other stuff.
Also, I know there's a lot of basketball athletes who aren't in the village, aren't staying there. There's a lot of athletes in general who are staying at hotels, not staying at the village.
What was the second part of the question?

Q. Do you think the top tennis players are more spoiled than other athletes?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Oh, with the opening ceremonies. No, I'm probably one of the few people that didn't go because I get sleepy at 7:00. And it's like, I don't know, I go to sleep really early. And then, you know, I've been to the opening ceremonies in Sydney. I was in a foul mood by the time 5:00 came around. So it just wasn't worth it.
After seven hours of standing, I've got to preserve my body. I mean, I need to be here to win a gold medal, is my goal. You know, there's a lot of people, everyone wants to win, but there's only one who can, and hopefully that can be me.

Q. There's a potential for some big-name matchups in the later rounds. Do you see that's something that could prompt more interest in tennis, with the Olympics? Why do you think tennis isn't a very well-watched sport in the Olympics?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think tennis is a really well-watched sport in the Olympics. I know I watched it when I didn't play in Athens. I watched it when I was younger.
Also, again, tennis players, you know, their main goal is to win Grand Slams. You know, we have four times. That's what we work for, from an early age, is to win Grand Slams. You have gymnasts who have one, maybe two opportunities to play the Olympics, if they're lucky. That's what they work for, is the Olympics.
I mean, I would see why that would be the case. But, I mean, for the rest of the year, it's all eyes on us.

End of FastScripts

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2008, 09:12:45 PM »
3 of my favorites together.  Venus is smiling... Serena is not...wonder what's wrong with her?

WOHO!!! I love this pic... they all look so hot. Even Federer...
I love everything about this...except venus's hair. can't fix that on photoshop. But say hello to my new avi.

Offline joeluis

• Tennis Player
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2008, 10:23:48 AM »
Golden Girls!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2008, 11:23:56 AM »
This is going in the Williams, Sharapova, Nadal, and Federer threads.  :rofl_2:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCgpX-9AcXM[/youtube]

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2008, 11:32:03 PM »
August 17, 2008

Serena Williams
Venus Williams

BEIJING, CHINA

WILLIAMS-WILLIAMS/Medina-Ruano Pascual
6-2, 6-0

Q. Were you surprised at how easy it was?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, it wasn't easy. We were so focused and we wanted every point. We pretty much worked for every point. So it was like playing that way makes it easier.
But, you know, we went out there and we fought with everything that we had.

Q. Can you compare and contrast what it feels like to win an event as a single and how it feels to do it as part of a doubles team.
SERENA WILLIAMS: It's awesome to win in singles. I mean, especially winning a Grand Slam event is even almost nearly more awesome. But then to win Olympic gold, it's great because as a tennis player you work to win Grand Slams. Having a gold medal is like an extra bonus, so it's really cool.

Q. Venus, can you talk about how this compares to Sydney in 2000.
VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, Sydney was fantastic, doing it for the first time. Here it's also very exciting. We I guess have one less medal for the U.S. But still, you know, we feel like we've contributed to our country in a huge way. That's really what it's all about.

Q. Could either one of you talk about the mentality you have going into a Grand Slam versus the mentality you have coming here. How are they different?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I don't think it's that much different. I mean, today we were in the finals. Just like in the finals of a Grand Slam or another event, we always go in with the same mentality, the same focus, the same drive to win, you know, because we get this far, you obviously want to do the best that you can do.
For me it's exactly the same intensity and everything.

Q. Are you staying around after this or are you back on the road preparing for the US Open?
VENUS WILLIAMS: We're going to prepare for the US Open. It's so close. No, we're going to start right away, start preparing.

Q. The only WTA tournament in Africa is the tournament in Fez, in Morocco, scheduled in May. Would it be possible to have the Williams sisters visit us in Morocco? You'd have a lot of friends and people loving you. Is it possible?
VENUS WILLIAMS: I would love to. But if it will happen, I'm not sure. I love visiting new places. I've never been there.
I think we do have a lot of fans there, so it would be nice to meet them and hopefully, if we play, win the tournament. We'll see what the future brings.

Q. I don't know what great students of history you are, but there's something going, I don't know, that may affect when you go to London. There are two people in the world who have won all four Grand Slams at least once in their life and an Olympic gold medal. They're married to each other, Steffi and Andre. Venus needs a French and Serena needs an Olympic gold medal. Do you think about those things? If you do that, you become the third and fourth to do it.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I never really thought about that. You know, we just try to win every event that we can. We just do the best that we can in all the events.
VENUS WILLIAMS: I see it a little differently. I see that Serena has two gold medals.

Q. I'm talking about singles.
VENUS WILLIAMS: I think in the Olympics, a gold is a gold. It doesn't matter what event or discipline. It just matters that, you know, you got the gold or a medal. It's amazing actually, 'cause after so many people standing in the draw, there's one or two left who get the ultimate prize.

Q. Could I get your views on the status of women's tennis in the world today. You have the No. 1 who's never actually gone into the Olympic finals or any Grand Slam titles. How do you see that as a phenomenon?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I don't know. I mean, if you play a lot, then it can definitely affect your ranking. You know, we're just really excited to have won gold medals for our country right now. That's our main topic of discussion.

Q. In the singles, were you surprised to see not only three Russians win, but also who they were? It wasn't the top two Russians, at least in terms of the rankings.
VENUS WILLIAMS: You know, I guess we've been so excited about our medal that we didn't really think about it. But obviously congratulations to all of them, all the medal winners, all the competitors.
We're just excited about our accomplishments.

Q. I know doubles doesn't have the popularity of singles, but were you surprised at how few fans were out there today? What did you think of the Spanish fans, the stuff they were yelling and chanting during the match?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I mean, here it's been people kind of come at the end or come during the match. The stadium fills.
SERENA WILLIAMS: There's been a lot of people throughout the whole tournament. We have had great crowds. Today I actually thought there were a lot of people, a lot of supporters out there, as well.
We were excited to have, especially with everything going on between the athletics, the swimming, the gymnastics, I mean, we're really I think doing well. Especially to have such marquee singles players to be in the doubles competition winning, it was a great crowd for me.

Q. How about just the Spanish fans?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, we thought they were cool. I mean, even when they got up and just did like the little run-around. I actually thought we should join them. They looked like they were having so much fun.
We play under any circumstances. I thought it was great the crowd was able to get so into the match.

Q. At this point the two of you have won a fair number of major doubles titles together. Can you talk a little bit about that, sisters playing together? Does it ever grow old? Is it always so meaningful to be playing alongside each other?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, it never grows old because I was literally born with a doubles partner. So I didn't even have to worry about it. She never gets tired of me. She doesn't mind if I miss a few. I can always rely on her to play unbelievable tennis.
So it's really perfect. So when we do play, it feels good to be able to get the good result, even if we haven't been playing as much doubles as our opponents. It's just pluses.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, basically, I don't know anyone out there who would get tired of playing with Venus Williams. You know, that's impossible.

Q. Both of you had some injuries recently, within the past month. Did you feel that creeping back up?
VENUS WILLIAMS: No, we just feel really blessed to be here and to be winning gold. So nothing can dampen that, injury or no injury. We're just going to stay as healthy as we can and move on to the US Open after this.

Q. Can you assess the state of your game going into the US Open? Kind of a preview.
VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I mean, for me, I don't even start assessing. I just start believing in me. All that assessing stuff can really get you in trouble.
So I just go out there and start grinding and winning. And that's basically my plan.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm really excited for the Open. I feel like I'm playing really solid and much better than I have been all year, to be honest. I really look forward to it.

End of FastScripts

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2008, 09:28:25 PM »
OMG!!! THEY WON!!! haha I didn't even know!!! for some reason I thought they were out in doubles too.lol

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2008, 09:29:57 PM »
OMG!!! THEY WON!!! haha I didn't even know!!! for some reason I thought they were out in doubles too.lol

And  you call yourself a Williams fan!!!!!! :lmao: :scared:

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2008, 02:00:10 PM »

hahah I'vve been so out of touch with tennis.lol. I've been focusing on the injustices of  the gymnastics. ;)

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2008, 03:08:15 PM »

hahah I'vve been so out of touch with tennis.lol. I've been focusing on the injustices of  the gymnastics. ;)
They have been awesome in doubles recently....Wimbledon, not the Olympics.  i bet they take the US Open is they play there, too. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:09:05 PM by jeffrx »
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2008, 08:31:57 PM »

They have been awesome in doubles recently....Wimbledon, not the Olympics.  i bet they take the US Open is they play there, too. 

I hope they do...

I'm so upset that they're in the same quarters at the USO though.. .that REALLy sucks.