Author Topic: THE WILLIAMS SISTERS THREAD: Quotes, photos, and other stuff... :)~  (Read 41027 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: THE WILLIAMS SISTERS THREAD: Quotes, photos, and other stuff... :)~
« Reply #260 on: March 09, 2011, 06:42:48 AM »
One half of the most famous pair of sisters in the sporting world, Venus Williams rose from poverty to break open the world of women'stennis. That the sisters are inspirational is without doubt; the question is how to choose which one inspires most.
Brought up in the tough LA suburb of Compton, both smashed through a staggering amount of obstacles – the poverty they were born into and racism in tennis, not to mention the shooting of their sister in a gangland murder.
But while there is a debate over who is the better player, it was Venus who first took women's tennis to a new level with her power and 127mph serve, becoming the first black woman player of the modern era to make world no 1, in 2002 – and then reinvented herself as an entrepreneur. She was the inspiration for the younger girl's career ("I wanted to do everything just like Venus"], Serena admitted), [/color]decided the pair should branch out from tennis into the fashion world, and battled for women to win equal prize money to the men at Wimbledon.Now, at the age of 30, she has five Wimbledon titles, seven grand slams, 43 WTA titles and three Olympic golds, as well as an interior-design company and a fashion line. Commentators watching the sisters have never found any bitterness between them. Serena insists they are a team: "To be a part of that is super cool. I mean, we're the Williams sisters, you know."

:))
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:44:00 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline SerenaVeeFan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #261 on: March 09, 2011, 06:52:07 AM »
One half of the most famous pair of sisters in the sporting world, Venus Williams rose from poverty to break open the world of women'stennis. That the sisters are inspirational is without doubt; the question is how to choose which one inspires most.
Brought up in the tough LA suburb of Compton, both smashed through a staggering amount of obstacles – the poverty they were born into and racism in tennis, not to mention the shooting of their sister in a gangland murder.
But while there is a debate over who is the better player, it was Venus who first took women's tennis to a new level with her power and 127mph serve, becoming the first black woman player of the modern era to make world no 1, in 2002 – and then reinvented herself as an entrepreneur. She was the inspiration for the younger girl's career ("I wanted to do everything just like Venus"], Serena admitted), [/color]decided the pair should branch out from tennis into the fashion world, and battled for women to win equal prize money to the men at Wimbledon.Now, at the age of 30, she has five Wimbledon titles, seven grand slams, 43 WTA titles and three Olympic golds, as well as an interior-design company and a fashion line. Commentators watching the sisters have never found any bitterness between them. Serena insists they are a team: "To be a part of that is super cool. I mean, we're the Williams sisters, you know."

Do u always write sooooo long posts. :)~

Offline lizbeth

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #262 on: March 09, 2011, 08:02:17 AM »

SerenaVeeFan, I don't think your post was too long at all.  It has always surprised me that there is so little activity on the Williams sisters' thread.
Even when Serena had the pulmonary embolism, very little comment.
Roddick's thread gets much less attention than I would expect also.
I don't know why that is, but anyway, love them or not, the Williams sisters are one of the most amazing success stories in all of sports and I hope they still have a run left in them.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #263 on: March 09, 2011, 08:47:14 AM »

Do u always write sooooo long posts. :)~
I cleaned up the background so that your post was visible. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline SerenaVeeFan

• Tennis Player

Offline SerenaVeeFan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #265 on: March 10, 2011, 02:14:00 AM »
I miss to watch Serena  :(  Cant wait for their next meeting on the court.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX3o8liyN0M&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #266 on: March 10, 2011, 06:27:17 AM »
What a great clip SVFan!!!
Warms my heart to see 2 women play who aren't afraid to step over the baseline!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline SerenaVeeFan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #267 on: March 10, 2011, 09:01:19 AM »
What a great clip SVFan!!!
Warms my heart to see 2 women play who aren't afraid to step over the baseline!

Yeah I cant wait too. :)
This is their best match!!!! Must watch.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fkqnl9Tg3Q[/youtube]

Offline SerenaVeeFan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #268 on: March 11, 2011, 05:37:14 AM »
"One of my doctors said: “If I were you, I wouldn’t play again.” I said: “You’re not me.”-Serena Williams.

:) :) :)

Offline SerenaVeeFan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #270 on: March 20, 2011, 07:23:38 AM »
Q. Kim, if I could follow up, the other day said that Serena was the best of all time. Is that something you would concur, best player of all time?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Serena?

Q. Yeah.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I think she has so many strengths and she's accomplished so much and she's won so many Grand Slams, I don't see a reason why not. She's an incredible champion. You know, I always say she's -- I don't know how many Grand Slams she's won. How many is it?

Q. 13.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, so she's 10 better than I am.

Q. You put her over Steffi, though, with 22? That's a lot more.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: The thing is, that's a tough question, because I never -- I didn't watch that much tennis on TV growing up, so I didn't really watch too much of Steffi and Navratilova.
I mean, maybe I see matches now from the past, but I never really followed it so much. I'm more of a modern -- I just know the modern tennis.

Offline SerenaVeeFan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #271 on: March 20, 2011, 07:45:55 AM »
U.S. Fed Cup captain Mary Joe Fernandez told ESPN that tennis should brace for "life after the Williams sisters" because "their bodies are breaking down."
Venus, 30, might return relatively soon. And Serena might not need much time to regain her form when she does return, Carillo said.
"What she can do better than most is come back after a long layoff and dominate," Carillo said. "We've seen her do that plenty of times.
"People keep bringing up the fact that she's almost 30. She's kind of a young 30 in the way that Andre Agassi was, because he missed so much tennis in his career. That guy would take months away from the tour, and as much as it hurt his rankings over the years, he was a lot less dinged up than somebody like Pete Sampras, who never really left. So I do believe if Serena can get healthy, and if she has the desire, she can come back and dominate."
Serena thinks so.
"Mentally, I'm 15," she said, laughing, to USA Today recently. She added, "I always think I'm going to play again and I'm going to be faster. I'm going to be better. I'm going to be smarter, wiser."

Offline SerenaVeeFan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #272 on: March 21, 2011, 04:15:54 AM »
 :shakey: :shakey: :shakey: :shakey:  I am in Loveeeeee. :))

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #273 on: March 21, 2011, 07:16:41 AM »
Sizzzzzzle! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline SerenaVeeFan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #274 on: March 23, 2011, 05:27:26 AM »

When it comes to American tennis, the Williams sisters have had little company in the past decade. The last American woman not named Williams to win a major was Jennifer Capriati, who won the Australian Open nine years ago. The next-highest-ranked American behind the siblings is No. 43 Bethanie Mattek-Sands, followed by No. 78 Varvara Lepchenko (an Uzbekistani who recently became a U.S. citizen) and No. 84 Melanie Oudin.

But the Williams era won’t last forever. Though neither sister has given any indication she is contemplating retirement, this year the sport is getting a glimpse of life after the Williams sisters. Serena, who turns 30 in September, has not played since winning Wimbledon last July, and is out indefinitely as she recovers from a pulmonary embolism and foot surgery. She is on blood thinners and expected to miss at least another six months.

Venus turns 31 in June, hasn’t won a major since Wimbledon 2008, and hasn’t played since pulling out of her third-round Australian Open match with a hip injury. She won’t be at Key Biscayne, either, after withdrawing last week. As of last week, Venus was ranked No. 8 and Serena had slipped to No. 11.

Unlike the men’s tour, which is enjoying a Golden Age with powerful Rafael Nadal and masterful Roger Federer and colorful Novak Djokovic leading the way, the women’s top 10 — minus the Williams sisters — has largely been occupied by a collection of inconsistent players who have failed to win majors or capture the public’s attention.

Like them or loathe them, the Williams sisters draw interest to the sport, whether for their unparalleled mental and physical dominance on the court or their edgy outfits or, in 2009, for Serena’s outburst at a line judge.

Right now, the most compelling stories are Clijsters, mother of a 3-year-old with thoughts of extending her family, and fourth-ranked Italian Francesca Schiavone, playing her best and most entertaining tennis at 30.

“With Venus and Serena out, it has allowed other women to show themselves,” said ESPN commentator Patrick McEnroe, who is also the head of player development for the U.S. Tennis Association. “When they are around, they overshadow the field, deservedly so.

“There’s no one around the corner who’s going to replace Serena and Venus. But we have a group of very good American girls who could be top-100, top-50 players. Maybe one or two becomes a top 10 player.’’

He mentioned No. 92 Coco Vandeweghe and No. 112 Christina McHale as players to watch.

“With Serena and Venus out, and Justine [Henin] retired, we’ve lost three of the most mentally tough athletes in the game,” TV commentator Mary Carillo said. “They live for the big stage, the big moment. That is what I’ll miss. The mental dominance on the court. Even when they’re not playing their best, they figure out a way to win.

“Schiavone is really fun to watch, but she’s not exactly an up-and-comer. And who knows how long Kim will stick around. Yikes. It’s a pity, but it seems we’re pretty far away from finding the next great champions.’’

In the meantime, players such as Wozniacki, Vera Zvonareva of Russia and Samantha Stosur of Australia can take center stage.

Wozniacki, tired of being portrayed as boring, turned the table on reporters at the Australian Open and told them the reason she may seem boring is that she is always asked the same boring questions. She then proceeded to interview herself, delighting the room full of reporters. She also made headlines when she warmed up for a match wearing an autographed Liverpool soccer jersey.

And hey, if tennis fans aren’t lured by the new crop of players at the top, there’s always the Serena Comeback story. Will she? Won’t she? When?

“With Serena, there’s no way to tell,” Carillo said. “If she wants to come back, she can win again. She is a young 29 in tennis terms. Like Andre Agassi, he played a lot of his best tennis after 29. He won the French Open at 29. It’s really about how much she wants it, how much she is willing to put herself through. Who knows what she’s going through. It’s gotta be very scary. But I’m hoping she decides to come back.”

Carillo said after watching Serena Williams win Wimbledon last summer — her 13th Grand Slam title she thought there was a chance she would some day match Chris Evert’s and Martina Navratilova’s 18.

More to Serena?

“Serena won Wimbledon without dropping a set, and it was the most impressive brand of tennis I’ve seen from her. It looked like she was committed, and fit again. If she can get back there, it would be great for the game.”

“I think she is going to come back very eager and hungry,” McEnroe said. “My sense is she is really missing tennis for the first time. She realizes she’s not going to have a whole lot of years left, so I could see her making one last great Agassi-like push. If anyone can do it, Serena can.”

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #275 on: March 26, 2011, 04:32:16 PM »
Update on Serena's health
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQI3K67LvQY[/youtube]
Be the change that you seek.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #276 on: March 26, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAspDyjC7kI[/youtube]

Serena's banned commercial!  I now know why there is  "love" is used in tennis scoring.

Offline SerenaVeeFan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #277 on: March 28, 2011, 04:11:23 AM »
Serena is perfect in commercial/. :lmao:

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #279 on: May 12, 2011, 11:51:25 PM »

Serena's Twitter Picture.