Author Topic: College Hoops  (Read 3726 times)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: College Hoops
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 02:49:07 PM »
I hear ya Jster!?   ..-)    BTW, what city is Umass in?  Is it Boston? 

It's all over. I took some classes at UMass Lowell, but there are about 6 UMass campuses around the Boston area. The main campus, though, is in Amherst which is central Mass, about a half hour north of Springfield.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 09:16:45 AM »
So it's on this weekend.

UCLA vs Memphis
North Caroline vs Kansas

Who plays Monday night? Who wins?

An ambition fulfilled

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 09:33:04 AM »
UCLA vs North Carolina, and North Carolina will win
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
I don't know what crap you are talking???????????   The semi's were last night and Umass and OSU won!   :))     Title game is Thursday night at 7:00pm!   :cool:      LETS GO BUCKS!   LETS GO BUCKS!   LETS GO BUCKS!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 03:18:42 PM »
I don't know what crap you are talking???????????   The semi's were last night and Umass and OSU won!   :))     Title game is Thursday night at 7:00pm!   :cool:      LETS GO BUCKS!   LETS GO BUCKS!   LETS GO BUCKS!

Of course the NIT counts.

Somewhere.   :)~

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 03:20:01 PM »

In Ohio it does!   ;-()     I didn't care hardly at all about the NCAA tourney this year but I am loving the NIT!   :cool:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »

In Ohio it does!   ;-()     I didn't care hardly at all about the NCAA tourney this year but I am loving the NIT!   :cool:

A true homer...... :whistling:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 05:02:11 PM »
I hope I'll be able to watch the game via livestream (channelsurfing), in fact I am very sad bc I can watch a lot of college games in that website but never OSU. college sports are great to watch and imho more passion than pro sports!!!
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 10:25:26 AM »
Well said Chita!   OSU wins the NIT!    Boohyah!   :cool: :king:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 05:39:30 PM »
Bravo!!!  :cool:
I was waiting yesterday for the game but sadly here all the island had not internet connection at night beggining at 7pm your time-1am here.
I hope I will find highlights of the game in the official webiste or youtube. UMass is a great college.

2 questions;
is OSU so great in sports that fans have enough with college sports and dont need pro sports except hockey, like Cleveland ??? I thought Cincinnati was also a great college and they have pro franchises. :confused1:
how do you select the venue for the NCAA finals??? it's like the superbowl, in great arenas???

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 05:50:29 PM »
Bravo!!!  :cool:
I was waiting yesterday for the game but sadly here all the island had not internet connection at night beggining at 7pm your time-1am here.
I hope I will find highlights of the game in the official webiste or youtube. UMass is a great college.

2 questions;
is OSU so great in sports that fans have enough with college sports and dont need pro sports except hockey, like Cleveland ??? I thought Cincinnati was also a great college and they have pro franchises. :confused1:
how do you select the venue for the NCAA finals??? it's like the superbowl, in great arenas???

OSU is the pro franchise in most major sports in Columbus. Columbus is the largest city in Ohio, and the capital. Why the pro franchises are in Cinncinati and Cleveland is beyond me.
As for the NCAA final, I don't know how they choose the venues, but I do know they have a different venue for each segment of the tournament. The first 2 rounds are at one venue for each section, then the next two are at a different one, and the final four is played at still another. So they have to choose 9 different arenas to play the entire thing.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »
In what way is Columbus the biggest in Ohio?  I thought Cincy and Cleveland are bigger.  The NIT tourney plays at the higher seed home court until the semi's and then this year it was at Madison Square Garden. 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 06:46:32 PM »
In what way is Columbus the biggest in Ohio?  I thought Cincy and Cleveland are bigger.  The NIT tourney plays at the higher seed home court until the semi's and then this year it was at Madison Square Garden. 

In this way:

Rank City           Population-2006      Metro Population-2006
1      Columbus       733,203                 1,725,570
2      Cleveland       444,313                 2,114,155
3      Cincinnati       332,252                 2,104,218
4      Toledo           298,446                   653,695
5      Akron            209,704                   700,943

An ambition fulfilled

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 07:17:44 PM »

In this way:

Rank City           Population-2006      Metro Population-2006
1      Columbus       733,203                 1,725,570
2      Cleveland       444,313                 2,114,155
3      Cincinnati       332,252                 2,104,218
4      Toledo           298,446                   653,695
5      Akron            209,704                   700,943

Columbus twin cities in Meditteranean Europe are really wonderful:
Genoa in Italy and Seville in Spain and the connection between Columbus, Ohio and Spain and Italy is cool!!!
Toledo in Spain is a city near Madrid, the old capital of the country, one of my 3 fav. small cities here and the cathedral is the primate church of Spain.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008, 06:19:37 PM »
Congratulations to the Kansas Jayhawks for their national championship.
I missed the game, but I heard it was a barnburner.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2008, 02:23:10 PM »
"The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is a voluntary organization through which the nation's colleges and universities govern their athletics programs." The NCAA is a non profit organization.

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

http://onnidan.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=018018;p=0

FOUR CONCERNS
The NCAA says it is trying to make life easy for the schools participating in the Final Four by arranging items ranging from hotels to party sites in advance. But the schools worry about losing money because of costs built into the event by the NCAA. Here's a look at some of their concerns:

•Schools are required to pay for 470 hotel rooms, usually at two airport hotels and one downtown, with a minimum four-night stay. That's up from five years ago, when schools were required to pay for 400 hotel rooms.

•Schools are allotted 3,750 tickets, down from 4,500 five years ago, and most of the seats are not in the preferred lower arena.

•While some of the best seats have been removed from ticket allotments provided to schools, the NCAA has entered a relationship with the ticket service RazorGator. The NCAA gives RazorGator large blocks of tickets, including hundreds near the court, to be sold at inflated prices. The NCAA then shares the revenue from those sales with RazorGator.

•The NCAA requires each of the Final Four schools to pay for a $32,000 party in a ballroom reserved for them, whether or not the schools want the party.

The NCAA is now scalping it's own tickets!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 02:28:31 PM by dmastous »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2008, 02:27:48 PM »
Also, it has recently been cataloged that The NCAA ignored it's own rules by allowing over 200 seconds of beer comercials to be broadcast during each of the final four games. The NCAA only allows 120 seconds or less per game to be bought by beer retailers.

http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2008/apr/09/some-college-presidents-protesting-number-beer-com

The Center for Science in the Public Interest in Washington, D.C., which helped organize the letter, accused the NCAA of violating its own policies that supposedly limit beer advertising to 60 seconds per hour and no more than 120 seconds per telecast. The center said it counted 200 seconds and 240 seconds of beer advertising during Saturday’s two semifinal games, and 270 seconds during Monday night’s final, when Kansas defeated Memphis 75-68 in overtime.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Memphis choked and Kansas was luckily there to pick up the scraps................of course, that is what Memphis gets losing the biggest game on the biggest stage because they can't hit un-contested "Free-Throws"!?   ..-)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2008, 02:43:24 PM »

Memphis choked and Kansas was luckily there to pick up the scraps................of course, that is what Memphis gets losing the biggest game on the biggest stage because they can't hit un-contested "Free-Throws"!?   ..-)

That's where CBB loses me. The game is meant to be played fast-past and up and down the court, which it is for 38:30. The the last 1:30 is drawn out as a 15 minute FT shooting contest of the worst FT shooters on the court.

(I hate the final minutes of CFB, too. Stoopid the number of times they stop the clock; stopping the clock after every first down is so retarded.)
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif