Author Topic: Quotes you like  (Read 47620 times)

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
Re: Quotes you like
« Reply #260 on: May 26, 2009, 07:21:47 PM »
Looks like we have some LOTR's geeks in here :rofl_2: Iam reading FOTR right now. I read the series twice a year and have for 19 years :)) And no I don't speak elvish; I'm not that geeky yet. I do however look like a cave troll :(

I don't care for LOTR per se but it's still far better than that stupid Star Wars. Now Rey will kill me. God...

I gotcha'.....And Star Wars, no thanks. I always wanted to punt Yoda and Darth Vader breathing gave me a feeling of claustrophobia.
Marching Towards the Abyss.............

"Pete, oh Pete, you're so divine; your smile, your eyes, your receding hairline"

Emma

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #261 on: May 26, 2009, 07:22:22 PM »
I've always liked this from Horace Walpole:

"Life is a comedy to those who think; a tragedy to those who feel"

Hmm, also{if this counts} from Gandalf in LOTR's{really I suppose Tolkien who wrote it}

When Frodo was upset about the RING coming to him and all the drama that was going to come with it, Frodo told Gandalf " I wish this wouldn't have happened in my time"

Gandalf said: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not their choice. All we can do is decide what to do with the time given to us"

Lol does that count? :))

Well Tolkien is a full of legendary quotes and you found pretty good one  ;-()
who's about Dimmu Borgir's -''Peace means reloading your guns''  :whistle:

Haha :cool:

Gibbon said: " History is little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind"

I've also always liked what Ruskin said: "The most beautiful things in the world are usually the most useless; peacocks and lillies for example"

LOL! But how can they be so useless when they are so beautiful to look at? Beats me. How about beautiful women? Are they useless too? I think not.  :rofl_2:

I agree. I like that quote because it's always been contradictory to how I think in so many ways. Women, flowers, whatever, are all beautiful to me and so I always wondered what his life was like. The guy must have had the personality of Spock :rofl_2: those simple things in life that are beautiful are what make me happy.

I should mention that I find men very beautiful too. LOL! Oh and babies are beautiful.

I am a lover of beatiful things no doubt and they are anything but useless.

Babies? Babies are hideous; they look like little pink lizards :rofl_2: And perpetual doodie factories.

Well, I am not talking about newly born babies who look stranger than those Aliens in the X-Files but beautiful babies who are 6 months to 3 year old, no? Should I post a picture then?
You are everything I am not.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #262 on: May 26, 2009, 07:23:09 PM »
Looks like we have some LOTR's geeks in here :rofl_2: Iam reading FOTR right now. I read the series twice a year and have for 19 years :)) And no I don't speak elvish; I'm not that geeky yet. I do however look like a cave troll :(

I don't care for LOTR per se but it's still far better than that stupid Star Wars. Now Rey will kill me. God...

I gotcha'.....And Star Wars, no thanks. I always wanted to punt Yoda and Darth Vader breathing gave me a feeling of claustrophobia.

I even never ever watched Star wars,so who's Rey,he's gonna kill me too?  :(
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #263 on: May 26, 2009, 07:24:23 PM »

Yeah but then again I have a beef with the Two Tower which was basically about one battle after another. A big yawn that was. But the first and final installment were quite good. SW sucks all the way. LOL!
You are everything I am not.

Offline Monky

• Tennis God
  • But...i'm wearing my Nike's
« Reply #264 on: May 26, 2009, 07:26:58 PM »
that was Bilbo's quote I spose..

Lol; actually that was Bilbo who said that at his birthday party farewell speech. Ialways get confused everytime I read that. :)) That would have been way cool had you used that as yor senior quote. :gleam:

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: you both scooter skimmed on the quote :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

I was just 17seconds faster  :))

yeah but I was first :first-place:

http://www.tennis4you.com/forum/index.php?topic=8541.msg365694#msg365694
:)~

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #265 on: May 26, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »

Lol; actually that was Bilbo who said that at his birthday party farewell speech. Ialways get confused everytime I read that. :)) That would have been way cool had you used that as yor senior quote. :gleam:

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: you both scooter skimmed on the quote :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

just saw it  :rofl_2: then I am pleased with the  :second-place: place  :))

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #266 on: May 26, 2009, 07:36:15 PM »

Hmm, also{if this counts} from Gandalf in LOTR's{really I suppose Tolkien who wrote it}

When Frodo was upset about the RING coming to him and all the drama that was going to come with it, Frodo told Gandalf " I wish this wouldn't have happened in my time"

Gandalf said: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not their choice. All we can do is decide what to do with the time given to us"

who's about Dimmu Borgir's -''Peace means reloading your guns''  :whistle:

Haha :cool:

Gibbon said: " History is little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind"

I've also always liked what Ruskin said: "The most beautiful things in the world are usually the most useless; peacocks and lillies for example"

LOL! But how can they be so useless when they are so beautiful to look at? Beats me. How about beautiful women? Are they useless too? I think not.  :rofl_2:

I agree. I like that quote because it's always been contradictory to how I think in so many ways. Women, flowers, whatever, are all beautiful to me and so I always wondered what his life was like. The guy must have had the personality of Spock :rofl_2: those simple things in life that are beautiful are what make me happy.

I should mention that I find men very beautiful too. LOL! Oh and babies are beautiful.

I am a lover of beatiful things no doubt and they are anything but useless.

Babies? Babies are hideous; they look like little pink lizards :rofl_2: And perpetual doodie factories.

Well, I am not talking about newly born babies who look stranger than those Aliens in the X-Files but beautiful babies who are 6 months to 3 year old, no? Should I post a picture then?

Uh post away ..-) It's probably a good thing I can't find a breeder because I couldn't deal withchildren. I would just put them in a kennel and spray them down :rofl_2: JK of course.

"Pete, oh Pete, you're so divine; your smile, your eyes, your receding hairline"

Emma

Offline Monky

• Tennis God
« Reply #267 on: May 26, 2009, 07:36:49 PM »

and a :third-place: for LEGION

well done everyone :rofl_2:

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #268 on: May 26, 2009, 07:38:49 PM »

I was 1st it's just I have to take a long time to say something that's why I was last. No fair. WTF am I talking about who cares? ..-)

Emma

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #269 on: May 26, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »

I was 1st it's just I have to take a long time to say something that's why I was last. No fair. WTF am I talking about who cares? ..-)

the main thing is that all 3 of us read the books more times,so I guess the fastest fingers prevailed,and the awards are in right order:
1.Monky
2.Lugby
3.Leggy

TOMMY HAAS

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #270 on: May 26, 2009, 07:43:30 PM »
Leggy? Man that's not cool; 3rd place and I get a girly moniker. :mad1:

Ok here's a quote:

"You suck Lugzboogers" :)~

Emma

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #271 on: May 26, 2009, 08:37:38 PM »

how's about Dimmu Borgir's -''Peace means reloading your guns''  :whistle:

Regarding Tolkien, how about this from Frodo in FOTR: "I know less than half of you half as well as I should like. And I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." :rofl_2: I seriously considered using that as my senior quote but decided to go with an Andy quote about Cheetos. :innocent:

that was from Bilbo on his B-day. I know, I'm a geek who read the books and is now correcting your quote from the series

That's who I meant. I was saying Frodo but seeing Bilbo in my head while typing.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #272 on: May 26, 2009, 08:38:46 PM »

I was class VP so it would have been inappropriate. :innocent:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 08:42:02 PM by BGT »

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #273 on: May 26, 2009, 08:41:10 PM »

I was class VP so it would have been inappropriate. :innocent:
[/quote]

Well I was class clown so it would have been very appropriate for me :))

Emma

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #274 on: May 26, 2009, 08:41:26 PM »
Uh post away ..-) It's probably a good thing I can't find a breeder because I couldn't deal withchildren. I would just put them in a kennel and spray them down :rofl_2: JK of course.

Kids act that way because parents are too afraid to discipline them. ..-) Not a single kid in my extended family acts like that. Ever seen Super Nanny or Nanny 911? They wouldn't need to come to any of my sibling's houses because the kids would never dream of acting that way. They'd get beat.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #275 on: May 26, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »
No, this trick won't work...How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? - Einstein

Now this quote shows why IMO he's THE ultimate man  :thumbs-up:

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #276 on: May 27, 2009, 12:39:24 AM »
George Washington said:

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence; it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master"
Excellent!

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
Thomas Jefferson, (Attributed)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Monky

• Tennis God
« Reply #277 on: May 27, 2009, 01:38:54 AM »
George Washington said:

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence; it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master"
Excellent!

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

if only someone had listened :\

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #278 on: May 27, 2009, 07:05:33 AM »
George Washington said:

Excellent!

if only someone had listened :\
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1821

I wonder what our fore fathers would think of the affairs of the past few decades.
Quite stunning the shift to centralized power.
Perhaps another 'separation' is in the offing.....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #279 on: May 27, 2009, 07:09:31 AM »
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -- Thomas Jefferson

CONK da ball!!!