Author Topic: Quotes you like  (Read 45124 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Quotes you like
« Reply #460 on: October 02, 2011, 09:12:13 AM »
All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #461 on: October 02, 2011, 04:42:55 PM »
'good enough, is good enough' Barry Schwartz

At first site it seems quite an innocuous quote, but the beauty of it is that taken at face value it's actually a maxim for living.
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #462 on: October 02, 2011, 06:51:36 PM »

At first site it seems quite an innocuous quote, but the beauty of it is that taken at face value it's actually a maxim for living.

You say it with such conviction, Jesse.
You are everything I am not.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #463 on: October 03, 2011, 02:20:39 AM »
All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Mr. Schopenhauer is spot on..

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #464 on: October 03, 2011, 10:45:31 AM »
Our Insite of the day:

Unless commitment is made, there are only promises and hopes... but no plans.

Peter Drucker

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #465 on: October 03, 2011, 08:09:12 PM »
When work gets lazy
Emma goes crazy

-Emma the Great

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #466 on: October 04, 2011, 04:44:51 AM »
Well yeah, the desire for ‘perfection’ or at least ‘the best’ can be a millstone around the neck. It’s good to aspire in certain fields, but in most day to day, ordinary affairs, there simply is no ‘best’ and by assuming there
is you’re setting yourself up for a kind of psychological fall.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #467 on: October 04, 2011, 06:41:59 AM »
Ain't that the truth. ..-)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #468 on: October 04, 2011, 01:10:22 PM »
Well yeah, the desire for ‘perfection’ or at least ‘the best’ can be a millstone around the neck. It’s good to aspire in certain fields, but in most day to day, ordinary affairs, there simply is no ‘best’ and by assuming there

It's highly debatable as I see it. If I tell myself that whatever I have is good enough and rest my case there, then probably I will be able to sleep better at night but then again, I don't think it will make me happy in the long run. But most importantly, when is good enough is truly good enough? Exactly where do you draw the line?

Also, I don't see us advancing at all if were to think good enough is good enough. That’s just my stance on it.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #469 on: October 04, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »
"damn the girl's girl friend, i can't make the move....."

- Start da Game
04-10-11

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #470 on: October 04, 2011, 03:17:36 PM »
good enough, is good enough, when the initial conditions of a desire are satisfied, without aspiring to the absolute best solution to that desire imaginable.
So if you're shopping for an item of clothing, it's fine to have a look around but if you're trying to find something perfect you're gonna be disappointed, there are just too many options to make the 'best choice' possible, and once you've bought the item buyers remorse sets in 'could i have got the same item cheaper somewhere else', 'wish i knew if this is the latest fashion' etc. The psychological jargon is 'maximisers' and 'satisfiers' in other words those who tend to seek the maximum from an experience and those who are less aspirationally minded.
Nowadays this supermarket of choice extends from the trivial to the most important aspects of our lives-we've gone from a one size fit's all society to a bespoke society in a generation or two.
This is partly because happiness has become increasingly linked to choice- 50 or 60 years ago (in the UK, though the same can be said of much of the West) marriage was pretty much a forgone conclusion for most people and by default so was parenthood.
There was a kind of template you got married-for the main part before your 20’s and you became a parent not long after. That was the model, and even though there was choice in terms of partner, or number of children, it was a fairly circumscribed range of options-if you got a girl pregnant-you married, if you were gay-well homosexuality just wasn’t factored into the equation-you married. Divorce was possible, though rare because of the social stigma still associated with it and the financial difficulties of being a one parent family-especially for women.
Now of course social relations have become increasingly a lifestyle choice. What's interesting isn't merely that this is the case, but that we tend to think more and more choice will lead to a greater sense of fulfilment or satisfaction, but ironically that's not the case all. Whats really happened is that the existential dilemma becomes greater and greater, as our choices increasingly define us-for better and worse.
This leads me to the last part of your point about 'I don't see us advancing at all if were to think good enough is good enough'.
It's important to distinguish between futile aspirations and necessary ones.
Ending poverty or slavery are good not because they offer us infinite choice, but because they are prerequisites for the flourishing life. 
So while i celebrate choice, fetishising choice would undermine it's potential to liberate us.

It's highly debatable as I see it. If I tell myself that whatever I have is good enough and rest my case there, then probably I will be able to sleep better at night but then again, I don't think it will make me happy in the long run. But most importantly, when is good enough is truly good enough? Exactly where do you draw the line?

Also, I don't see us advancing at all if were to think good enough is good enough. That’s just my stance on it.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #471 on: October 05, 2011, 05:43:09 AM »
"..No hero was ever made without encountering adversity." - Gregor Paul [http://www.nzherald.co.nz/best-of-sport-analysis/news/article.cfm?c_id=1502180&objectid=10756680]

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #472 on: October 05, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
Nobody got anywhere in the world by simply being content.

- Louis L'Amour

That's to you, Jesse.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #473 on: October 05, 2011, 10:59:58 PM »
Nobody got anywhere in the world by simply being content.

- Louis L'Amour

That's to you, Jesse.
I'm a massive fan of L'Amour books. There is a lot of wisdom in his stories.. ://

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #474 on: October 07, 2011, 06:38:11 AM »
"if somebody else inspires you more than your own life and experiences, get lost from my sight....."

-Start da Game
07-10-11
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #475 on: October 09, 2011, 08:40:47 AM »
"Al-Qaeda is a thing of the past; after all, al-Qaeda assets such as Abdelhakim Belhaj are now running Tripoli. The new Washington-manufactured mega-bogeyman is now the Haqqani network." - Pepe Escobar, The Asia Times [http://www.atimes.com/atimes/south_asia/mi30df01.html]

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #476 on: October 09, 2011, 08:53:56 AM »
You only have to look at US military spending since the cold war to have an insight into US hegemony.

"Al-Qaeda is a thing of the past; after all, al-Qaeda assets such as Abdelhakim Belhaj are now running Tripoli. The new Washington-manufactured mega-bogeyman is now the Haqqani network." - Pepe Escobar, The Asia Times [http://www.atimes.com/atimes/south_asia/mi30df01.html]

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #477 on: October 09, 2011, 09:06:07 AM »
“"The liberties of our country, the freedoms of our civil Constitution are worth defending at all hazards; it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors. They purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood. It will bring a mark of everlasting infamy on the present generation – enlightened as it is – if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of designing men." -Samuel Adams”
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #478 on: October 09, 2011, 12:11:09 PM »
It's interesting to note that the US constitution didn't defend freedoms and continues not to do so.
from slavery and de facto slavery, McCarthyism, segregation and Guantanamo etc, they all existed parallel to the constitution.
I find Adams' shallow rhetoric part of the mythology that tends to be substituted for a realistic appraisal of the actuality of freedom

“"The liberties of our country, the freedoms of our civil Constitution are worth defending at all hazards; it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors. They purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood. It will bring a mark of everlasting infamy on the present generation – enlightened as it is – if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of designing men." -Samuel Adams”

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #479 on: October 09, 2011, 12:19:02 PM »
Let me guess JJ, you're a Brit. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!