Author Topic: Quotes you like  (Read 47212 times)

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
Re: Quotes you like
« Reply #520 on: December 03, 2011, 11:12:53 PM »
Emma, these quotes are definitely worth dwelling upon.. Thanks for sharing them with us.  ://

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #521 on: December 05, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
- Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

- The only real valuable thing is intuition

- The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking

- The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

- My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

- He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder

- A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.
You are everything I am not.

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #522 on: December 06, 2011, 05:31:33 PM »
Fascinating quotes from Einstein (i didn't know em till i looked them up)
I'm really intrigued by the second in particular, i get what Einsteins saying, but for me consciousness itself IS a separate entity, not the idea that we exist as separate physical entities.
Great stuff.

- He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder

- A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.
[/quote]
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #523 on: December 08, 2011, 01:14:27 PM »
Why did look up, Jesse? You could have just asked me, no? I probably would have toyed with you though. lol

I absolutely agree with Einstein that we are a part of a whole - called Universe. He describes us as “a part limited in time and space”. Apparently so, isn’t it?

I do think consciousness itself IS a separate entity that is not limited by space and time.

So who said this:

- But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.

:rofl_2:

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #524 on: December 08, 2011, 01:20:06 PM »
- Personally, I would be delighted if there were a life after death, especially if it permitted me to continue to learn about this world and others, if it gave me a chance to discover how history turns out.

- Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.

- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

- The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

- For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

- Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-----------------------------------------------

These are by Carl Sagan
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:57:52 AM by Emma »

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #525 on: December 08, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »
^^^ Emma, these are really good. It would be better if you could just let us know who made these statements too.  :)

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #526 on: December 08, 2011, 01:37:03 PM »
^^^ Emma, these are really good. It would be better if you could just let us know who made these statements too.  :)

Nu-ah. I want Jesse to look them up. I wan to make him work!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #527 on: December 08, 2011, 01:41:57 PM »

Hehe. Alright, now you are also making me work!

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #528 on: December 08, 2011, 02:14:20 PM »

Hehe. Alright, now you are also making me work!

If you find out, then don't say anything. Just shhhh....

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #529 on: December 08, 2011, 02:52:25 PM »
- I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is, that I know nothing.I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.

- A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true.

- I decided that it was not wisdom that enabled poets to write their poetry, but a kind of instinct or inspiration, such as you find in seers and prophets who deliver all their sublime messages without knowing in the least what they mean.

- I do nothing but go about persuading you all, old and young alike, not to take thought for your persons or your properties, but and chiefly to care about the greatest improvement of the soul. I tell you that virtue is not given by money, but that from virtue comes money and every other good of man, public as well as private. This is my teaching, and if this is the doctrine which corrupts the youth, I am a mischievous person.

- The hour of departure has arrived, and we go our ways -- I to die and you to live. Which is the better, only God knows.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:53:26 PM by Emma »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #530 on: December 10, 2011, 04:43:32 AM »
"There has never been a golden age of liberty, and there never will be. People who value freedom will always have to defend it from those who claim the right to wield power over others." - David Boaz
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #531 on: December 10, 2011, 04:53:50 AM »
'In a thread about quotes, wouldn't it be a good idea to discuss some and see if they are genuinely meaningful, rather than keep spouting them ad nauseum' Jesse James.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #532 on: December 10, 2011, 05:05:07 AM »
'In a thread about quotes, wouldn't it be a good idea to discuss some and see if they are genuinely meaningful, rather than keep spouting them ad nauseum' Jesse James.
Yikes, you want me to do more than just cut & paste?;-()

:coffee:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #533 on: December 10, 2011, 06:34:35 AM »
I had been wounded seven times during the war, and once before in this same lung; and I did not believe I was going to die but worried Emma's thread was going to disintigrate into a discussion of the mundane, not befitting a tennis message board. And I realized then that I must do something to prevent that from happening.   :)>>>>

-jesse james
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:51:10 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #534 on: December 10, 2011, 09:51:10 AM »

But the thread title reads, 'Quotes you like' not 'Quotes you like and then discuss', no?

Not that I am against it though. But how about those quotes by Socrates especially the last two? Those were his last statements when he was given hemlock. Do you agree when he says, ‘The hour of departure has arrived, and we go our ways – I to die and you to live. Which is the better, only God knows.?

Now why would a philosopher like him would say a thing like that? Was he really corrupting the youth with his method of teaching? Maybe you can enlighten us.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #535 on: December 10, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »
- Personally, I would be delighted if there were a life after death, especially if it permitted me to continue to learn about this world and others, if it gave me a chance to discover how history turns out.

- Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.

- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

- The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

- For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

- Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Those are by Carl Sagan btw. What about the one I highlighted? Do you agree? do you think the universe is merely indifferent?

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #536 on: December 10, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »
I had been wounded seven times during the war, and once before in this same lung; and I did not believe I was going to die but worried Emma's thread was going to disintigrate into a discussion of the mundane, not befitting a tennis message board. And I realized then that I must do something to prevent that from happening.   :)>>>>

-jesse james

:rofl_2:

That was very good. I hope JJ will be able to appreciate it. Surely not all humour is lost on him. He can be very dry though. It's a Brit thing.  :rofl_2:  :)~

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #537 on: December 10, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
'Jesse James is running and he'll never be at rest Till the day they fold his arms across his chest He's a long way from the cradle and his ma's authority
But it only seems a minute since he stood over his bed And she tried to tell him something now what the hell was it she said Jesse James is thinking of the breaks he never had And the gene that cursed his blood group rhesus-bad
Jesse James lived money his account was in the black Till the day he stopped a bullet with his back Well the zip code may read Vegas but the heart beats tupelo
And a footstep is such a small thing that it's neither here nor there Till you string those steps together and find home is way back Way back where ?
Jesse James was never part of life's great symphony All he heard were penny whistles out of key Jesse James he promised I will never die afraid That boy perjured every vow he ever made'

Paddy McAloon, a beautiful man.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #538 on: December 11, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »
 :not worthy:

Nicely done JJ.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #539 on: December 12, 2011, 04:31:17 PM »
Scott, please delete my account. I am asking you because you are not giving us a chance to do it at our will. Thanks.