Author Topic: Quotes you like  (Read 42874 times)

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
Re: Quotes you like
« Reply #560 on: April 03, 2012, 11:33:15 PM »
"Do we need weapons to fight wars? Or do we need wars to create a market for weapons? It’s the one thing that the US hasn’t outsourced to China." - Arundhati Roy, 'Capitalism: A Ghost Story' [http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?280234]

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #561 on: May 07, 2012, 03:07:04 AM »
"Basically, our game plan is to defend with 10 and hoof the ball to Drogba. During practice sessions, we all stand around in our own box and practice booting it to Drogba. Then, Didier tries to trap the ball, falls down, and rolls around for a few minutes. Repeat: Boot. Trap. Drop. Repeat:. Huff. Touch. Fall. Repeat. It’s mentally exhausting, yet also takes advantage of my unique ability to stand in pretty much the same place for 90 minutes straight. Now, I don’t want to say that I’m the greatest “standing” midfielder that England has produced in the last decade, but a glance around shows I just may be. Scholes is a quick walker and Gerrard runs (ran) well enough, but standing? Everybody imitates my posture, but few can match my erectness.. If I have to stand for 180 minutes straight without even blinking to beat Barcelona, then so be it." - Elliott, 'Breaking Soccer News', parodying Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard. [http://www.futfanatico.com/2012/04/26/frank-lampard-diary-midfielder-7/]

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #562 on: May 07, 2012, 03:59:17 AM »
"..age is just a number, and a number is really just a letter that isn’t a part of the alphabet. Yes, the number would like to be a part of the alphabet, who wouldn’t? But the important thing is for that number to train hard every day and not listen to idiot letters that look down their nose and say the number is old and washed up and will never be a part of the alphabet." - Elliott, 'Breaking Soccer News', parodying Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard. [http://www.futfanatico.com/2012/04/26/frank-lampard-diary-midfielder-7/]

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #563 on: May 26, 2012, 04:00:28 PM »
''Every man and woman is a star''  :gleam:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #564 on: May 26, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

CONK da ball!!!

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #565 on: May 27, 2012, 01:52:33 AM »
"I don't going to be more motivated because I have six and I can win seven. And I was not more motivated when I arrived here in 2005 than today. I was not more motivated in 2010 when I lose in 2009. The motivation always is the same. Sometimes you lose; sometimes you win. That's the sport and that's the game." - Rafael Nadal, Tennis.com http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=17825&zoneid=25.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #566 on: June 05, 2012, 05:29:04 AM »
"If you're unemployed you have no money, but in the olive oil business it costs you money to be poor." - Luis Carlos Valero, explaining why despite a 33% unemployment rate in Andalusia and the fact that 80% of the people in Jaén depend on the olive oil business, thousands are abandoning their farms. [http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/04/spain-olive-farmers-squeeze-price]

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #567 on: July 05, 2012, 10:40:10 AM »
"It's weird. When people find out I'm homeless, it changes how they feel about me. I get declined for jobs. As soon as they learn I live in a van, I'm a thief." - Janis Adkins, US, on the cycle of poverty http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/the-sharp-sudden-decline-of-americas-middle-class-20120622.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:41:49 AM by propstoart »

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #568 on: July 05, 2012, 10:54:15 AM »
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality."

-- Bruce Lee
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #569 on: July 06, 2012, 01:15:37 PM »
A really good quote, Start!! Here are some more 'uplifting' lines:

"The man who will always fight one more round is never beat!" - James J. “Gentleman Jim” Corbett

"Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go." - William Feather

"Sweat cleanses from the inside. It comes from places no shower will ever reach." - Dr. George Sheehan [deoderant, anyone  :)~]

http://www.grapplearts.com/Blog/2012/04/torn-acl-info-for-bjj-mma-judo-grapplers-faq-ver-1-2/

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 01:16:13 PM by propstoart »

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #570 on: July 07, 2012, 09:46:13 AM »
haha that last one is funny......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #571 on: July 16, 2012, 10:56:03 AM »
"Mitt Romney the unaccountable corporate cyborg couldn't be a more graphic representation of the Masters of the Universe - the key financial engineers of the destruction of the US economy and the American middle class, while the wealthy are lavishly sheltered from every storm. Welcome to the land of the un-free, home of the bravely unaccountable." - Pepe Escobar, The Asia Times [http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/NG17Dj03.html]

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #572 on: July 16, 2012, 11:53:48 AM »
You mean this Pepe Escobar 2 weeks prior to the heinous acts of terrorism on 9/11?

Osama bin Laden - also the No 1 target of the CIA's counter-terrorism center - is now a superstar playing the bad guy in some sort of planetary Hollywood fiction. Yet inside Afghanistan today, where the Saudi Arabian lives in exile, Osama is a minor character. He is ill and always in hiding - usually "somewhere near Kabul". Once in a while he travels incognito to Peshawar. His organization, the Al Qa'Ida, is split, and in tatters.

He seems like a good source to be quoting...... :whistle:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #573 on: July 17, 2012, 03:26:48 AM »
First up - you must always quote your source.. Makes it easier for the reader to verify the facts.. :))
Escobar works for the Asia Times and is well-versed in the goings-on in the region.. He was criss-crossing the Silk Road long before 9-11.. He is way more informative than most 'experts' the mainstream media parrots..  :\
He is one of the most insightful journalists I have come across. His wit, geo-political intelligence never cease to amaze me.
On a side note, compared to the biggest War Machine in the history of mankind that is armed to it teeth with the latest/best/most precise in arms & ammo, backed by an intelligence network that is the envy of the world, the al Qaeda will always be nothing but a ragtag bunch of hoodlums..  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #574 on: July 17, 2012, 06:09:03 AM »
If by 'informative' you mean opinionated, I agree.

There are far more adjectives in his work than actual facts.

Some folks prefer 'journalists' that opine rather than report.
Makes for the sort of reading found in most romance novels.....knowledgeable or not.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #575 on: July 18, 2012, 03:34:19 PM »
First up - you must always quote your source.. Makes it easier for the reader to verify the facts.. :))
Escobar works for the Asia Times and is well-versed in the goings-on in the region.. He was criss-crossing the Silk Road long before 9-11.. He is way more informative than most 'experts' the mainstream media parrots..  :\
He is one of the most insightful journalists I have come across. His wit, geo-political intelligence never cease to amaze me.
On a side note, compared to the biggest War Machine in the history of mankind that is armed to it teeth with the latest/best/most precise in arms & ammo, backed by an intelligence network that is the envy of the world, the al Qaeda will always be nothing but a ragtag bunch of hoodlums..  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Absolutely correct. If al Qaeda are hoodlums, the US is the neighbourhood, nay global bully boys-it's post war record is an unbroken chain of violating the sovereignty of nations.  But then it's origins lay in unbounded hegemony-with Mexico, the indigenous population, slavery, Hawaii (how many US citizens know it was annexed by the US?) etc.
The Donner Party=how the west was won.
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #576 on: July 18, 2012, 11:56:58 PM »
Yeah, I think we learned it from those retarded Brits.....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #577 on: July 19, 2012, 04:32:00 AM »

And in a sense the British are currently the tail being wagged by the American dog, and happy to
be in that position. So the remnants and sentiments of British imperialism exist but in a necessarily diluted from.
It’s interesting to compare the rhetoric of hegemony on both sides of the pond. I remember
Bush regarding Bin Laden as being ‘wanted dead or alive’, a quote from some John Ford western, and
all the historical inaccuracy that goes with what is essentially a social and historical construct-it’s as if
US presidents were playing a part in some movie
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #578 on: July 19, 2012, 07:25:37 AM »

And in a sense the British are currently the tail being wagged by the American dog, and happy to
be in that position. So the remnants and sentiments of British imperialism exist but in a necessarily diluted from.
It’s interesting to compare the rhetoric of hegemony on both sides of the pond. I remember
Bush regarding Bin Laden as being ‘wanted dead or alive’, a quote from some John Ford western, and
all the historical inaccuracy that goes with what is essentially a social and historical construct-it’s as if
US presidents were playing a part in some movie

No surprises there JJ.
Could it be, that's the most effective way of communicating with the general public here in the U.S.?

CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #579 on: July 19, 2012, 07:43:28 AM »
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.

Abraham Lincoln

An apt quote this election year.
CONK da ball!!!