Author Topic: The Fighting Finn!  (Read 5079 times)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
The Fighting Finn!
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:21:45 PM »
Dallas seems to like the many different player threads so I figured why not!  Anyone in here got any love for Jarko? 

I am surprised by the speed he is showing on court right now against Nadal..........hail he is running stuff down like Rafa does.  Any comments? 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:42:47 PM by OSU Buckeye »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: The Fighting Finn!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:23:11 PM »
Yeah, I already posted the first post on this match. I'll post it again here.

JARRKO!!!!!!
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:25:16 PM »
Dallas seems to like the many different player threads so I figured why not!  Anyone in here got any love for Jarko? 

I am surprised by the speed he is showing on court right now against Nadal..........hail he is running stuff down like Rafa does.  Any comments? 

gm and I tried to talk Dmast into setting up two concurrent threads rather that a thread per match. One "AO DISCUSSION THREAD" and the other "AO LIVE SCORES THREAD". That would be a better compromise than having all of these individual threads.

...of course, that request was made in the AO - ATP thread and got buried by pages of point-by-point updates and went unread.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 10:28:44 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »

gm and I tried to talk Dmast into setting up two concurrent threads rather that a thread per match. One "AO DISCUSSION THREAD" and the other "AO LIVE SCORES THREAD". That would be a better compromise than having all of these individual threads.

Scott and I were discussing possible changes like those just the other day.......we shall see. 

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 10:30:01 PM »

Scott and I were discussing possible changes like those just the other day.......we shall see. 

Blame Dmast (have to blame someone). We had it all figured out, presented it on a silver platter and he scoffed.   :Confused:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 10:31:57 PM »
I posted this in the ATP thread but it should be here also:

The dude fights as hard as anyone, he is from Finland, and he has a great attitiude on the court...............what more could we want from a player?  

Jarrko had a BP but Rafa comes up with some nasty groundies and gets the hold!  Jarrko is playing better than Rafa but lets see what happens at crunch time?  

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 10:35:01 PM »
Looks like all hell broke loose with these threads!!  So be it!  :cool:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 10:36:06 PM »
Come on Jarrko!  5-4 Jarrko........one break would do nicely now!  

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 10:37:27 PM »

Come on Swishenstein...........you gotta love The Fighting Finn!   .................................don't you?   :Confused:

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 10:38:17 PM »
I like him!! I actually wouldn't mind if he beat Rafa today.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 10:38:34 PM »
Oh baby!  Double set point for Jarrko!   ................................?

Dang it, jammed on a 2cnd serve and then loses the next point well played by Rafa.  Now deuce! 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 10:39:47 PM by OSU Buckeye »

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 10:39:30 PM »
I guess you don't like Rafa then? ://

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 10:42:06 PM »

Come on Swishenstein...........you gotta love The Fighting Finn!   .................................don't you?   :Confused:

Of course!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 10:45:26 PM »

To be honest, I have rooted against Rafa ever since he came on tour and had early success...........I felt too much success too quickly..........I felt he didn't pay his dues and didn't understand how that was possible since everyone else has to pay their dues.  Plus, I didn't like his gamesmanship which he does way less now.  

But, I have liked Jarrko ever since seeing him at Cincy.  I love that he is as good as he is and from Finland.  Plus, I love his attitude.  

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 10:53:47 PM »

To be honest, I have rooted against Rafa ever since he came on tour and had early success...........I felt too much success too quickly..........I felt he didn't pay his dues and didn't understand how that was possible since everyone else has to pay their dues.  Plus, I didn't like his gamesmanship which he does way less now.  

But, I have liked Jarrko ever since seeing him at Cincy.  I love that he is as good as he is and from Finland.  Plus, I love his attitude.  

Rafito.  :( What is it about Finland you like so much? :)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 10:59:05 PM »

Rafito.  :( What is it about Finland you like so much? :)

It is not Finland so much as it is that Finland is not a tennis hot bed at all.  So, it is all the more impressive that this guy competes with the worlds best and is from there.  Thats all!  I just really like the idea that these players come from all over the world and regardless of the size or issues in their Country they are the best tennis players in the world! 

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 11:04:56 PM »

The dude fights as hard as anyone, he is from Finland, and he has a great attitiude on the court...............what more could we want from a player? 

Jarrko had a BP but Rafa comes up with some nasty groundies and gets the hold!  Jarrko is playing better than Rafa but lets see what happens at crunch time? 

Add to that he's one of the smarter players on tour, moves pretty well and a nice guy all around and that's one good player.
He's one of the players I like as well, unfortunately his game just doesn't carry him into higher rounds of tourneys.

He was playing really well, kinda sad to see him lose that first set :( especially considering he had 2 set points on Rafa's serve at 5-4 and then on his own service game up 30-0 until Rafa correctly challenged a line call and came back to win with two three amazing points.

I'm torn between watcing this match and sleeping now and waking up 3 hours later to watch the Henin Sharapova match.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 11:09:01 PM »

Jarrko had a BP but Rafa comes up with some nasty groundies and gets the hold!  Jarrko is playing better than Rafa but lets see what happens at crunch time? 

Add to that he's one of the smarter players on tour, moves pretty well and a nice guy all around and that's one good player.
He's one of the players I like as well, unfortunately his game just doesn't carry him into higher rounds of tourneys.

He was playing really well, kinda sad to see him lose that first set :( especially considering he had 2 set points on Rafa's serve at 5-4 and then on his own service game up 30-0 until Rafa correctly challenged a line call and came back to win with two three amazing points.

I'm torn between watcing this match and sleeping now and waking up 3 hours later to watch the Henin Sharapova match.

Don't you have to wake up 5:30 to go to class?

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 11:17:29 PM »

Don't you have to wake up 5:30 to go to class?

I usually don't trust myself to wake up despite the 15 alarms I usually set. It's much safer to stay awake all night. I catch up on sleep in class  :ZZZZZ)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 11:20:43 PM »

Blame Dmast (have to blame someone). We had it all figured out, presented it on a silver platter and he scoffed.   :Confused:

I scoff at your intimation that I scoffed!  ..-)
All I said was, in my opinion, it would result in even more confusion. People would be posting comments and discussion in the scoreboard thread, and scores in the discussion thread. We would be losing track of where we said what. We will try, but it will degenerate into two concurrently running threads about the same thing.
Initially I thought it was a good idea, but before I responded, I did a 180 on it.
The big "problem" we have is we have more very active posters who are following the tournaments closely.
Now if you were to suggest that we start an "AO Choking" thread where Kittens can rant in peace and comfort, and we can enjoy the matches without, you would have my ear.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)