Author Topic: The Fighting Finn!  (Read 5174 times)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
Re: The Fighting Finn!
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 11:21:52 PM »
pawan, if someone opens my door in the morning I wake up. In fact, I didn't use an alarm clock until I was 11. I just always woke up at 7:00. Then one day I decided I wanted to wake up at 6:30 so I could have more time to watch TV and eat cereal, and I started waking up at 6:30. True story.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 11:22:09 PM »
Someone tell Jarrko that you can't beat Rafa from the base line.  He was going to net many times in the 1st set with success..........why not anymore?  

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 11:25:24 PM »
Someone tell Jarrko that you can't beat Rafa from the base line.  He was going to net many times in the 1st set with success..........why not anymore? 

he was totally putting the pressure on and doing well at the net, he was up like 15 times in the first 10 games and won most of them, what he did in the first set is a great way to have a chance against Nadal for him, he can't change that strategy even though he lost that first set.  :(

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 11:38:47 PM »
the fighting finn,the flying finn..

the crying finn :(

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 11:41:43 PM »

Indeed!   :rofl_2:     He should have won that 1st set!  Hopefully he will learn from that. 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 11:46:14 PM »

Indeed!   :rofl_2:     He should have won that 1st set!  Hopefully he will learn from that. 

Or Nadal will learn from it and not let him get that close.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 11:48:32 PM »

Nah, Jarrko was really taking it to Rafa in the 1st set.  Mixing his game up well to keep Rafa off balance and holding serve easily..........really playing solid all round. 

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 11:48:51 PM »

yep, far more likely to happen

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 12:55:02 AM »

jarkko would have lost that match even if he had won the first 2 sets. he was so worn out from all the time he has spent on the court in his matches.

and nadal does not lose too many best of 5 sets matches in slams. he just has to work like a slave to get it done.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 07:37:31 AM »

jarkko would have lost that match even if he had won the first 2 sets. he was so worn out from all the time he has spent on the court in his matches.

and nadal does not lose too many best of 5 sets matches in slams. he just has to work like a slave to get it done.

You are likely right but it would have been super exciting to watch! 

Offline Tuulia

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 07:57:29 AM »
I've lost count of the different version's of Jarkko Nieminen's name I've seen here and elsewhere. Do people do it on purpose or don't they care how people's names are spelled? ..-)

I really hope none of you pronounce his name the way the guy on BBC World sports news did last night - pronouncing the "ie" in the first syllable of his surname like the letter "i" - it sounds horrible and rude, as the meaning (in Finnish) changes from a surname to something else completely...  :whistle:

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 12:56:40 PM »
That's actually the only name I used to have trouble with that I've memorized. The Nie is pronounced like Nee, right?

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 07:31:09 PM »
When in doubt, consult the phonetic spelling provided by the official ATP site.

YAR-ko nee-MIN-in

...god I'm bored; get on with this tournament already.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 07:43:29 PM »
The problem with these individual threads is...now that he's out of the tournament, will this thread continue to drop down to page 55 by next week?

I was surprised at how he actually played last night.  That 1st set was pretty interesting.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 07:50:09 PM »
The problem with these individual threads is...now that he's out of the tournament, will this thread continue to drop down to page 55 by next week?

I was surprised at how he actually played last night.  That 1st set was pretty interesting.

:shocking: :swoon:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 07:52:08 PM »

:shocking: :swoon:

What???? :innocent:

Offline Tuulia

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 08:56:57 AM »
That's actually the only name I used to have trouble with that I've memorized. The Nie is pronounced like Nee, right?

Actually, no. (If I assume correctly you mean Nee as in "knee"?) But it's certainly much better than the "I" version.  :))
I'd give an example from an English word if I could think of one at the moment, damn...

Offline Tuulia

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 09:17:16 AM »
When in doubt, consult the phonetic spelling provided by the official ATP site.

YAR-ko nee-MIN-in

...god I'm bored; get on with this tournament already.

Doubt or not, I wouldn't recommend the spelling instructions they provide - they are nowhere near always correct. Like that one... it's sort of partly right, but... Double consonants like "kk" don't quite translate, apparently, since the same thing doesn't really exist in English... it's two syllables there, k at the end of first and another at the beginning of the second and they are both pronounced - there are not really "silent letters" in Finnish. And "ie"... it's... heck can't think of examples from English, don't know if it's because there aren't any or because my brains aren't working, but how about a simple Spanish word, will that do? Ok, "ie" in Nieminen is pronounced like "ie" in Spanish "mientras", for instance. Hope that helps.  :)

I'm not quite sure how to read these instructions and if I get them right (since they are obviously written for English speakers and different letters and combinations of letters are pronounced differently in different languages). I have however asked native speakers of English if they agreed with me that their instructions of how to pronounce "Rafael Nadal" for instance are not correct and they did, so... And what do the capital letters signify - stress? If so, it's not correct above, either: stress is on the first syllable in Finnish.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 12:35:42 PM »
So you pronounce the 'i' and 'e' separately instead of making it one sound?

Offline 6-0tennis

• Tennis Player
    • 6-0tennis - Play & Win Like The Pro's
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
I used to train with Jarkko regularly. His movement in and out of the ball is awesome. His serve however is poor and the better guys take it on and dominate from the off, then he's running like mad and out of position - hence he often had long matches and is knackered come the later rounds.
www.6-0tennis.com Tennis Lessons To Play & Win Like The Pros