Author Topic: NOLE, NOLE, NOLE....  (Read 167972 times)

Online Alex

• Tennis God
Re: NOLE, NOLE, NOLE....
« Reply #2340 on: May 17, 2011, 06:09:32 PM »
few more...

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #2341 on: May 17, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »
Jelena is so pretty!  :whistle:
Then we will fight in the shade.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #2342 on: May 17, 2011, 07:29:11 PM »
Djoker Hype Officially in Overdrive - Nole's gluten-free diet hits the Wall Street Journal.

The Diet That Shook Up Tennis?

By TOM PERROTTA

How did Novak Djokovic conquer the tennis world?

Maybe the answer is as simple as this: Since last year, he's swearing off pasta, pizza, beer, French bread, Corn Flakes, pretzels, empanadas, Mallomars and Twizzlers—anything with gluten.

It's no secret that Djokovic has had a breakout season, or that he has been, by any reasonable standard, the world's best athlete of 2011. On Sunday, he beat Rafael Nadal in the Rome Masters, his fourth-straight win over the Spaniard. It was his second win over Nadal on clay in two weeks, and again, amazingly, he did it without losing a set. The match ran Djokovic's 2011 record to 37-0 with seven titles.

As the French Open begins Sunday, Djokovic's amazing streak—the longest to start a season since 1984—is threatening to push Roger Federer (the winner of a record 16 Grand Slam titles) and Nadal (the French Open's five-time champion) off the front pages. But the transformation from odd man out to invincible overlord also is leaving gobsmacked tennis fans searching for answers. Clearly something has clicked for the Serb. But what?

Djokovic's serve, sloppy as recently as last season, is now precise, fluid and, at times, devastating. His forehand used to break down in tense moments; now he hits winners that seem to subscribe to undiscovered laws of physics. His backhand, always solid, is now impenetrable, even with Nadal's famously high-bouncing forehand. And then there's the gluten.

Last year, Djokovic's nutritionist discovered that Djokovic is allergic to the protein, which is found in common flours. Djokovic banished it from his diet and lost a few pounds. He says he now feels much better on court.

A gluten-free diet can have implications far beyond the physical, especially in tennis, which taxes the mind like few other sports. The season is 11 months long, matches are grueling and can last for hours, and the slightest dip in a player's confidence can derail months of hard work. There's never anyone else to blame for a match gone awry.

"It's mostly mental energy you're talking about, not energy supplied to muscle tissues," said David Levitsky, a professor of nutrition and psychology at Cornell University, when asked about the effects of giving up gluten if one has an allergy. (An allergy differs from celiac disease, whose sufferers, Levitsky said, can incur far-reaching health effects from eating gluten, including the inability to absorb nutrients.)

Levitsky said a gluten-free diet might have benefits for those with mild allergies, or even no allergy at all. "The other part of the story is, if you believe in a cause of your disorder, it becomes the cause," he said. "We see this in many different studies. If you believe it, you change your behavior in the direction of being cured."

In tennis, something small often leads to a big boost in confidence. For Djokovic, there has been no shortage of pick-me-ups in the past nine months.

It's not every day that Federer loses a match point in a U.S. Open semifinal. Last year against Djokovic, he lost two. By the luck of the Davis Cup draw, Serbia played two home matches at the end of last year and eventually won its first Davis Cup title, with Djokovic leading the way. As his confidence surged and his fitness improved, Djokovic arrived in Melbourne with his best outlook on a season since 2008, when he won his first Grand Slam title, also in Australia.

Photo Illustration by Patrick Conlon / Wall St. Journal
A mock-up of Nadal (left) and Roger Federer as (gluten-free) steaks.
:rofl_2:

But no one would have predicted what has transpired since January. Djokovic's season has gone from good to great to outrageously, impossibly, unrealistically phenomenal. In an age when even small sports achievements can get enormous hype, there's really no superlative to describe what the soon-to-be 24-year-old has done this year.

"He has massively improved his serve, his fitness, and he's hitting his forehand a lot better," said Brad Gilbert, the ESPN commentator and former coach of Andy Murray and Andre Agassi. "I've never seen anybody move better on a tennis court in my life. He's so flexible, he can make impossible gets with ease."

Of Djokovic's 37 wins, 13 are against Top 10 players, including four against Nadal and three against Federer, who in all his years of dominance never started a season in so grand a fashion. If Djokovic reaches the French Open final, he could have 43 consecutive victories—one more than John McEnroe's record 42 to start 1984 (that streak ended in the French Open final, after McEnroe won the first two sets against Ivan Lendl).

Djokovic's 2011 on-court stats border on the absurd: He has won 89% of his service games, 43% of his return games and half of his break points. In his four matches against Nadal, he has repeatedly gotten the better of the Spaniard in rallies lasting longer than eight shots. No one has done that to Nadal in his professional career.

After Nadal lost to Djokovic in Indian Wells in March, Nadal spoke about the importance of confidence and how quickly it can fade. "We will see when [Djokovic] loses the first time," he said. "I don't know if [it's] gonna happen in Miami or happen in Monte Carlo or not gonna happen." At the time, the remark inspired laughter—surely Djokovic, like everyone else, would lose again. All you need to know about tennis in 2011 is that it now seems plausible that he won't.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #2343 on: May 17, 2011, 07:52:52 PM »
But no one would have predicted what has transpired since January. Djokovic's season has gone from good to great to outrageously, impossibly, unrealistically phenomenal. In an age when even small sports achievements can get enormous hype, there's really no superlative to describe what the soon-to-be 24-year-old has done this year.

:innocent:
Then we will fight in the shade.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #2344 on: May 17, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »
Tennis-Djokovic run beats my '84 streak - McEnroe

By Martyn Herman

LONDON | Wed May 18, 2011 12:47am BST

LONDON May 17 (Reuters) - Novak Djokovic's 37-match winning streak since the start of the year is already more impressive than the record 42 consecutive wins posted by John McEnroe in 1984, the American said on Tuesday.

World number two Djokovic has enjoyed complete domination so far this year by winning seven titles, including the Australian Open, four Masters Series events and ending world number one Rafa Nadal's supremacy on clay.

Should the Serbian reach the final of next week's French Open, he will edge ahead of McEnroe's 1984 streak, which was ended in the final at Roland Garros by arch rival Ivan Lendl.

"For me personally it brings back memories of '84," former world number one and seven-times grand slam champion McEnroe told reporters in a conference call on Tuesday.

"I'm quite excited at the timing of this because he could break my record at the French Open. I've followed his progress and to put it mildly it's been quite amazing to see how much confidence he is playing with.

"Records are made to be broken but at the same time now there is more competition, more athleticism, and deeper fields and more depth in the sport so his record is even more impressive than mine.

"Also in '84 the Aussie Open was was played at the end of the year so I hadn't played a major when I put that run together. My first major was the French where the streak was broken.

"It's impressive given he came in number three and to dominate Federer and Nadal the way he has, to see what he has done, it's a little surprising."

Djokovic outclasssed Nadal for the second week in succession to win the Rome Masters on Sunday, having also beaten the Spanish claycourt king in Madrid the week before.

The Serb, whose total streak is 39 when taking into account his two wins in the Davis Cup final at the end of 2010, has also beaten former dominant force Roger Federer three times already this year and stands on the brink of taking over as the world number one from Nadal.

However, McEnroe, who is playing on the Champions Tour which culminates in the Aegon Masters at London's Royal Albert Hall later this year, has a word of warning for Djokovic.

"Rafa is certainly tougher to beat in a best of five match," the American great said. "Going back to '84, I beat Lendl twice on clay going into the French then got up two sets and lost in five. Certainly Novak has to be careful because Nadal fights right to the end."

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #2345 on: May 17, 2011, 10:55:47 PM »
I like what Roger is saying about Novak in this video, very nice ...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXvrxJcmqx0&feature=player_embedded#at=198[/youtube]

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #2346 on: May 18, 2011, 04:21:04 AM »

Novak Djokovic is riding a 39-match win streak heading into Roland Garros, dating back to December's Davis Cup final. Here's a look at the streak by the numbers...

0 - Double faults in Australian Open, Dubai and Miami finals combined
1 - Grand Slam title
2 - Wins in 2010 Davis Cup final
3 - Victories over No. 2 Roger Federer
4 - Victories over No. 1 Rafael Nadal
5 - Wins in under 60 minutes
6 - Different Top 10 players beaten in 2011
7 - Singles titles
8 - Games lost to countryman Viktor Troicki in 3 matches
9 - Sets lost... and also sets won 6-0
10 - Wins over Top 5 opponents
11 - Losses before 37th win in 2010
12 - Games lost in first four matches at Indian Wells
13 - Wins vs. Top 10 players (and 13 wins on clay)
14 - Sets won 6-1
15 - Victories without being broken
16 - Wins for Nadal, 11 for Djokovic in their rivalry
17 - Break points faced at Miami, 15 saved
18 - Consecutive sets won from Jan. 19-Feb. 23
19 - Sets won and 1 set lost at Australian Open
20 - Career outdoor titles after Rome triumph
21 - Victories in which he broke his opponent at least 5 times
22 - Straight wins at ATP World Tour Masters 1000 events
23 - Career losses to left-handers, 8-0 during streak
24 - Years old on May 22nd
25 - Career titles after winning in Rome
26 - Match wins on hard court
27 - November was when Djokovic last lost a match (l. Federer)
28 - Different players defeated
29 - Straight wins by Ivan Lendl to start 1986, surpassed by Djokovic in Madrid R16
30 - Break points converted in 6 matches at Indian Wells
31 - Consecutive wins by Bjorn Borg to start 1980, surpassed by Djokovic in Madrid SF
32 - Match win streak is the longest of Nadal’s career
33 - Percent of first-serve return points won by both Djokovic and Nadal in the Rome final
34 - Career losses in a deciding set, 9-0 during streak
35 - Matches in which he won the first set
36 - Weeks at No. 2 entering Roland Garros (week of May 23)
37 - Match clay-court win streak of Nadal’s snapped by Djokovic
38 - Service points won by both Djokovic and Nadal in the Rome final
39 - Successive wins
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #2347 on: May 18, 2011, 10:58:57 AM »
Look at the faces of Nadal and Fed, like they smell something bad.  :rofl_2:

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #2348 on: May 18, 2011, 11:27:48 AM »
 :rofl_2:... so funny. Thanks for the article Swish, it's really good.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #2349 on: May 18, 2011, 11:39:26 AM »
^^^ Muza actually looks pretty decent in that pic. Short hair looks much better than that "bird nest" his head is covered with right now  :rofl_2:.

I don't think he looks too bad with the long curly hair. An inch shorter looks much better though.

You are everything I am not.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #2350 on: May 18, 2011, 11:42:24 AM »
Murray said in his twitter that someone told him his hair looks like this nowadays. He's absolutely hilarious and courageous to even post it. I mean honestly!
  :rofl_2:

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #2351 on: May 18, 2011, 11:43:53 AM »
Deosn't his very cute here? Do you who that guy is in front of him? Guess.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #2352 on: May 18, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »
How about his hair here? Mighty handsome, isn't he?

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #2353 on: May 18, 2011, 11:47:28 AM »
Okay, I stop now but don't tempt me next time or you will be doomed with Murray stuff from me.  :)~

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #2354 on: May 18, 2011, 12:42:14 PM »
Mods, can you please stop Emma - she is derailing my beloved Nole thread with this Murray junk   :)~. This is blasphemy  :)>>>>

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #2356 on: May 18, 2011, 01:29:07 PM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #2357 on: May 18, 2011, 01:32:39 PM »
You love Emma though Alex so really you're enjoying all of this :)~
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #2358 on: May 18, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »
Alex is just jealous of Murray and the fact that I am sooooooooooooo in love with Andy and not him. Jealous b**ch that he is.  :)~

Also, Murray is much more handsome than Nole. ha!

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #2359 on: May 18, 2011, 02:06:32 PM »
Alex is just jealous of Murray and the fact that I am sooooooooooooo in love with Andy and not him. Jealous b**ch that he is.  :)~

Also, Murray is much more handsome than Nole. ha!
yes, he is so handsome that there are only 2 persons in the world that love him ....Emma and his mother  :rofl_2: