Author Topic: NOLE, NOLE, NOLE....  (Read 178875 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: Nole, Nole, Nole....
« Reply #300 on: April 16, 2008, 07:52:02 PM »
I was just wondering about his surname - is the correct way to pronounce it Novak Dj-oh-kovic or (Not sure how to sound it out) Novak Dj-o-kovic?

I say the latter. Americans seem to say the first however.
It is jock-oh-vitch (D is silent)

Thanks for clearing that up, I knew the D was silent. The Americans were wrong!!!
Welcome to buffmetube.

I don't know what you mean by Americans being wrong. I've only heard it pronounced with the "d" silent. The "d" only changes the way the "j" is pronounced. Without the the "d" the "j" is as in Joker, or John. But with the "d" the "j" becomes harder. But it's still pronounced as a "j".

Say what! :lmao:  (just kidding... I knew exactly what you said, err..meant...err...I think) :rofl_2:

I tried to be clear, but that's jut not an easy thing to make clear (maybe that's why I'm not an English teacher).

Nah... I actually was playing with you because I truly did understand everything you said in your post! :))

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #301 on: April 16, 2008, 07:54:58 PM »
I was just wondering about his surname - is the correct way to pronounce it Novak Dj-oh-kovic or (Not sure how to sound it out) Novak Dj-o-kovic?

Thanks for clearing that up, I knew the D was silent. The Americans were wrong!!!
Welcome to buffmetube.

I don't know what you mean by Americans being wrong. I've only heard it pronounced with the "d" silent. The "d" only changes the way the "j" is pronounced. Without the the "d" the "j" is as in Joker, or John. But with the "d" the "j" becomes harder. But it's still pronounced as a "j".

Say what! :lmao:  (just kidding... I knew exactly what you said, err..meant...err...I think) :rofl_2:

I tried to be clear, but that's jut not an easy thing to make clear (maybe that's why I'm not an English teacher).

Nah... I actually was playing with you because I truly did understand everything you said in your post! :))

I realise that. But I almost jettisoned the whole thing because, in re-reading it, I found it difficult to follow. But then I figured I couldn't make it less confusing, so I let it stand.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #302 on: April 17, 2008, 10:20:15 AM »

Welcome to buffmetube.

No, you're wrong as in you say J-oh-kovic and we say Jock-o-vic

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #303 on: April 18, 2008, 11:34:32 PM »
Novak Djokovic interview @ lakers game

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbdDX1VCQ94[/youtube]

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #304 on: April 19, 2008, 11:39:13 PM »
Nole goes Gucci for GQ magazine . This is funny. I wasn't able to copy the article, but here are the pictures and some comments.

Novak Djokovic is giving Roger Federer a run for his money - in the men's fashion battle that is.

:rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #305 on: April 20, 2008, 02:04:49 AM »
Very country club that last one, it looks as if he's going on the golf course somewhere  :))
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #306 on: April 20, 2008, 02:39:50 AM »
Yeah, very... strange pictures. I wouldnt want to be caught dead wearing them.

Offline NoleDjoke

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #307 on: April 20, 2008, 11:04:48 AM »
woah.. he looks good anyhow~   thx for the drool worthy pic, alex.   :))
Outdo the outdone.

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #308 on: April 20, 2008, 12:42:31 PM »
Djoker has a great chance to make at least 250 points in MC.....I don't see nobody stopping him in his half unless Nalby shows up. We should have a Nadal/Djoker final in MC......that will be a good one to kick start clay season.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #309 on: April 20, 2008, 03:49:50 PM »
Nole goes Gucci for GQ magazine . This is funny. I wasn't able to copy the article, but here are the pictures and some comments.

Novak Djokovic is giving Roger Federer a run for his money - in the men's fashion battle that is.

:rofl_2:

Sorry Alex, but those clothes does absolutely nothing for me! :rofl_2:  He looks ok in the pictures, but he definitely needs to get a clothes consultant because they are bad... and that's not bad as in good... :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #310 on: April 20, 2008, 04:00:48 PM »
^^^ I think it wasn't his choice what to wear. I don't understand this fashion thing but Djokovic is getting some great exposure out there (Vogue, GQ etc.) and that is great for him and tennis.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #311 on: April 20, 2008, 04:11:17 PM »
^^^ I think it wasn't his choice what to wear. I don't understand this fashion thing but Djokovic is getting some great exposure out there (Vogue, GQ etc.) and that is great for him and tennis.

I agree about the exposure and how it's' great for him and tennis... I just disagree about whoever picked those clothes out for him to wear.  They should be fired! :rofl_2:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #312 on: April 20, 2008, 04:52:16 PM »
Djokovic says he's ready to take up clay challenge against Nadal
The Associated Press
Published: April 20, 2008

MONTE CARLO, Monaco: Having figured out how to win a Grand Slam title, Novak Djokovic is ready to challenge Rafael Nadal's supremacy on clay.

The Australian Open winner has "high expectations" for this season, including a second career major when the French Open starts late May at Roland Garros — the favored home of its three-time champion Nadal.

"The truth is Rafa (Nadal) plays his best game on clay," Djokovic said Sunday. "It's a challenge and I like challenges."

The third-ranked Djokovic already has two titles heading into this week's Monte Carlo Masters, one more than No. 1 Roger Federer. Nadal, who is ranked second, has yet to win a tournament in 2008.

Djokovic also leads both players overall in the ATP race, and is optimistic about his improving game.

So much so that the 20-year-old Serb thinks he has struck the right balance to be successful on clay — where a traditionally slower surface is less suited to his quick-fire game.

"I am more patient than in the past years," Djokovic told reporters in Monte Carlo. "You have to be mentally strong, it takes more time to create points and you have to wait for your chances.

"You also have to be physically very fit to do that. It's what I have been working on in the past two weeks."

Djokovic routed Federer in straight sets in the Australian Open semifinals in January.

"I think I am stronger than last year because I am more confident," said Djokovic, who also won at Indian Wells last month. "I have won a Grand Slam, even though it was not on clay."

Last year, Nadal dominated Djokovic in straight sets in the semifinals at the French Open.

Still, Djokovic is confident the Paris courts could yet give him the edge needed to end Nadal's dominance there.

"The French Open clay is faster, it suits my game better," Djokovic said.

Djokovic has no intention of toning down his high-energy game for a more measured approach on clay.

"If you change your game too much, it can turn against you," Djokovic said.

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #313 on: April 20, 2008, 05:49:31 PM »
It's good he has such an optimistic perspective about Nadal and clay......he will need it!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #314 on: April 20, 2008, 05:52:36 PM »
It's good he has such an optimistic perspective about Nadal and clay......he will need it!
I agree with you 100%  :rofl_2: as I don't think Nole can beat Rafa on clay.

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #315 on: April 20, 2008, 06:05:51 PM »

Like I said before; he can do it....he has the mental toughness and attitude to stand up to Nadal, I think the problem is his game allows Nadal to bring his best.......last year semifinal was Nadal best performance on clay for 2007; it seems Djoker's strength of superior baseline point construction plays into Nadal Godly baseline dominance on clay.

We'll see though......Djoker can surprise all of us!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #316 on: April 20, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »

It would take a noticable let down in Nadal's play for Djokovic to beat him on clay, but it could happen I suppose.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #317 on: April 20, 2008, 06:14:55 PM »

It would take a noticable let down in Nadal's play for Djokovic to beat him on clay, but it could happen I suppose.
dmas, Nole has the less difficult quarter in Montecarlo (Gasquet and Murray), then sf Federer or Nalbandian.
Rafa can face Ferrero in 3R, QF Ferrer!! and SF Davydenko!!
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #318 on: April 20, 2008, 06:15:09 PM »

everything is possible, but Novak hasn't managed to win a set on clay against Nadal. Yes, Djoko is a better player this year but I still think that Nadal is just too good on clay. However, I do like his attitude and belief regarding the clay season.

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #319 on: April 20, 2008, 06:24:42 PM »

dmas, Nole has the less difficult quarter in Montecarlo (Gasquet and Murray), then sf Federer or Nalbandian.
Rafa can face Ferrero in 3R, QF Ferrer!! and SF Davydenko!!

Nadal always gets a brutal draw on clay; I think it will actually fire up Nadal.......it would suck for him to get over confidence and get beat by Murray who is not known for his clay game. With Ferrero and Ferrer....he will not take it for granted.