Author Topic: NOLE, NOLE, NOLE....  (Read 174571 times)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Re: Nole, Nole, Nole....
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 06:21:45 PM »
Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic can become the world number one before the end of the season according to his coach Marian Vajda!!! 

Vajda, a former Slovakia Davis Cup captain, expressed the opinion in a Q & A with Czech newspaper MF DNES.

Q: Can Novak become number one this season?

Vajda: If he to continues going at his current tempo then he might make it. The Australian Open triumph will boost him.

Q: In your opinion, has the Roger Federer era come to an end?

Vajda: I don't know, but it definitely has been eroded somewhat. This is a turning point, before the Australian Open his dominance had been enormous, now it will not be. I don't know though if the turning point will be that big or that we will have a new ATP leader at the end of the year, but we are very close to that point.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2008, 06:28:01 PM »
Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic can become the world number one before the end of the season according to his coach Marian Vajda!!! 

Vajda, a former Slovakia Davis Cup captain, expressed the opinion in a Q & A with Czech newspaper MF DNES.

Vajda: If he to continues going at his current tempo then he might make it. The Australian Open triumph will boost him.

Vajda: I don't know, but it definitely has been eroded somewhat. This is a turning point, before the Australian Open his dominance had been enormous, now it will not be. I don't know though if the turning point will be that big or that we will have a new ATP leader at the end of the year, but we are very close to that point.
It is going to be a long season. I'd say let's wait and see.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2008, 06:31:34 PM »

Yup, we had better wait and see.  :)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2008, 06:39:55 PM »

Another thing I was going to say is that I don't think that Federer cares for #1 spot that much. I think the only thing he cares is to win more than 14 GS and rewrite the history. I could be wrong.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2008, 06:52:35 PM »

Another thing I was going to say is that I don't think that Federer cares for #1 spot that much. I think the only thing he cares is to win more than 14 GS and rewrite the history. I could be wrong.

Who knows what's in his mind, or what he cares about. We only know that he does care about his place in history, so I'm sure the GS record is important. But I wouldn't discount his desire to remain #1 in the world.
I doubt he will be able to equal Sampras consecutive year end #1 streak. But he does have the consecutive weeks at #1 wrapped up. Maybe he wants to try and put that record out of reach.
Who really knows.  :Confused:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2008, 06:59:26 PM »
These are the odds I would give for the year end #1 ranking:

Federer- 60%
Djokovic- 30%
Nadal- 10%

Yes I do actually believe Djokovic has a better shot at it then Nadal now, since Djokovic is now more clearly better on hard courts then Nadal and over half of the events are on hard courts.   Clay and grass combined make up 2 of the 4 slams but less then half of the tour schedule and points.   Who knows how much Djokovic might be able to improve on grass compared to Nadal or even Federer in the last year.    Clay I am pretty sure he is still worse then Nadal and even Federer, but he might be stronger then last year and be able to do well on clay still.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 07:00:35 PM by kittens25 »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2008, 07:09:57 PM »

Federer- 60%
Djokovic- 30%
Nadal- 10%

Yes I do actually believe Djokovic has a better shot at it then Nadal now, since Djokovic is now more clearly better on hard courts then Nadal and over half of the events are on hard courts.   Clay and grass combined make up 2 of the 4 slams but less then half of the tour schedule and points.   Who knows how much Djokovic might be able to improve on grass compared to Nadal or even Federer in the last year.    Clay I am pretty sure he is still worse then Nadal and even Federer, but he might be stronger then last year and be able to do well on clay still.
I agree with you here. Djokovic doesn't play differently on clay than hard courts if I remember correctly. He did make it to semi finals last year at FO but he did have an easy draw.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2008, 07:13:29 PM »
But like Nadal after Wimbledon... by the end of the season, Djokovic was toast and it showed in his results (or lack of results at the end of the year).  So....in order for him to come from #3 to #1, he's goingi to have to either win more and Roger lose a lot.  But when I looked at him even in the Australian Open final, he was having difficulties with his body in only a 4-set match.  Do you really think he can play like he did in this tournament throughout the year and not get injured, hurt, or tired?  Just a question...

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2008, 07:17:14 PM »
But like Nadal after Wimbledon... by the end of the season, Djokovic was toast and it showed in his results (or lack of results at the end of the year).  So....in order for him to come from #3 to #1, he's goingi to have to either win more and Roger lose a lot.  But when I looked at him even in the Australian Open final, he was having difficulties with his body in only a 4-set match.  Do you really think he can play like he did in this tournament throughout the year and not get injured, hurt, or tired?  Just a question...

Actually that's his pass into the #2 position. The AO, the clay season, and that period are the only areas where there are points to be gained.
He's gotten max points from the AO. There are precious few opportunities (on hard courts) to gain more.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2008, 07:18:15 PM »

In hindsight he probably lacked motivation at the end of last year.  There was nothing really to fight for.   I do agree he needs to work on his conditioning and fitness still.    I think he will do that.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2008, 07:19:19 PM »

Actually that's his pass into the #2 position. The AO, the clay season, and that period are the only areas where there are points to be gained.
He's gotten max points from the AO. There are precious few opportunities (on hard courts) to gain more.

There is after the U.S Open were he didnt do much.   

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2008, 07:21:57 PM »

That's what I mean. The entire post US Open period was a lost period for him. If he can do well he can pick up lots of points.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »

That's what I mean. The entire post US Open period was a lost period for him. If he can do well he can pick up lots of points.

Again, you're missing my point.  After the US Open it becomes a grind and with this being an Olympic year too  a lot of players will be tired.  Djokovic's body seem to tire faster than a lot of the players.  So yes, there are points to pick up, but do you think - with the way he seem to fade physically, he'll be able to take advantae of those points to pick up?

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2008, 07:31:34 PM »

Again, you're missing my point.  After the US Open it becomes a grind and with this being an Olympic year too  a lot of players will be tired.  Djokovic's body seem to tire faster than a lot of the players.  So yes, there are points to pick up, but do you think - with the way he seem to fade physically, he'll be able to take advantae of those points to pick up?

That depends. Both myself and Pacer have commented on this.  He doesn't seem to lack the desire to do what it takes to be great. He seems to have a solid work ethic. He's only 20. But he still seems to run out of gas at times in tough matches. That would point to there being something physical that prevents him from getting the most out his body.
If that's the case then he will have to pace himself during the year (ala Federer) so he is still fresh and ready to compete at full speed at that time. Or possibly he hasn't done everything he can to be at peak fitness (hard to believe), and can get better in that area.
I guess time is the only answer to that question.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2008, 07:50:29 PM »

That depends. Both myself and Pacer have commented on this.  He doesn't seem to lack the desire to do what it takes to be great. He seems to have a solid work ethic. He's only 20. But he still seems to run out of gas at times in tough matches. That would point to there being something physical that prevents him from getting the most out his body.
If that's the case then he will have to pace himself during the year (ala Federer) so he is still fresh and ready to compete at full speed at that time. Or possibly he hasn't done everything he can to be at peak fitness (hard to believe), and can get better in that area.
I guess time is the only answer to that question.
I believe he is fitter than most of people think. He does have that negative body language sometimes, but than he can keep running for hours on tennis courts. His schedule for 2008 is also reduced from last year.

Offline RFK

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2008, 10:12:29 PM »

Federer- 60%
Djokovic- 30%
Nadal- 10%

Sounds about right.
I was the biggest voice in the camp that Djoko will be the next #1 before his AO win over the Fed

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2008, 03:15:17 PM »
Australian Open - Djokovic returns a hero

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02022008/58/australian-open-djokovic-returns-hero.html

Serbia's Australian Open winner Novak Djokovic was given a raucous welcome by around 15,000 fans in central Belgrade just under a week after his win in the Australian Open.

Djokovic, who had gone to his Monte Carlo residence after capturing his first Grand Slam title last Sunday, hurled his racket into the crowd from the city hall balcony and described the reception as "unreal".

"I am at a loss for words to describe how I feel and I am so grateful you all came to celebrate my victory with me," he said.

"As a child, I stood where you are standing now to admire our great athletes who had won silverware for our country in the past and now here I am. It's a very special feeling."

Djokovic beat Frenchman Joe-Wilfried Tsonga 4-6 6-4 6-3 7-6 to become the first Serb to win a Grand Slam and his success sparked massive celebrations in Serbia.

The country had come to a standstill during the final while bars and restaurants crammed with fans staged parties after Djokovic's triumph.

"The pancake shop my family owns at the Mount Kopaonik skiing resort in south Serbia was so packed they couldn't fit in everybody," said Djokovic.

He added: "I took up skiing before I started playing tennis and if I had chosen another sport, it would have alpine skiing because I have so much passion for it."

Fans in Belgrade on Saturday sported Serbian flags and held banners, one of which said "See you here after Roland Garros," offering a sign that many of them expect Djokovic to keep producing results.

The 20-year-old world number three, who played in the semi-final in last year's French Open, said he was looking forward to fresh challenges.

"The Australian Open success has motivated me to work even harder, improve further as a player and I hope to win many more trophies in the future.

"I have had a good break and I am now looking forward to the rest of the season in which I hope to move up the rankings if possible.

"But the first major challenge I am looking forward to is our Davis Cup world group tie at holders Russia next week.

"They are the favourites but we have a very strong group of players who are young, have a great team spirit and an appetite for success."

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2008, 04:45:41 PM »
Thanks Swish  :)), nice article.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2008, 05:13:25 PM »

When I saw it I was thinking of the Novak fans, he must be feeling great bringing the 1st GS to his country!!!

He got what he earned.   :)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2008, 05:22:01 PM »

When I saw it I was thinking of the Novak fans, he must be feeling great bringing the 1st GS to his country!!!

He got what he earned.   :)

nole popularity is on the rise now. he is fast becoming a household name. i am inclined to believe that some additional big time endorsements are going to be coming his way now. he is also likely to renegotiate his contracts with existing sponsors.