Author Topic: NOLE, NOLE, NOLE....  (Read 185319 times)

Offline Farenhajt

• Tennis Enthusiast
Re: Nole, Nole, Nole....
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2008, 10:51:23 PM »
I was wondering about his clay court season too.  I think he has the game to do well on the clay!  Didn't he make the SF of the FO last year and run out of steam or something?  I forget.  Either way, I think the clay could treat him well.

The problem is that there are a lot more 'other players' good on clay to give him trouble....and it seems like he was running out of steam last year in long clay matches.  But I hear he's gotten in better shape, so we shall see. 

Well, one thing people complained about when Roger was dominating was that it was "boring".  I don't think they can say that now. :rofl_2: 

What is Djokovic's clay schedule anyway?  Where are you Djokovic fans?  How many tournaments has he scheduled to play in this upcoming clay season?

So far only the Masters (Monte Carlo, Rome, Hamburg) and Roland Garros. He holds the Estoril title, but according to the current plan, he's gonna skip it.

His results on claycourt Masters: one R16, two QF's. Comparing Nole 2.0 (2008 version) with Nole 1.0 (2007 version), in spite of the fact that there are many more competent claycourters around, I think he's still the man who should make at least the semis in all three events. That makes 350 points more in waiting, but that will be diminished by (the expected) loss of 200 Estoril points. Moreover, if he happens to strike a good form and end up in non-Rafa half in any of those events, he might as well be coming all the way to the finals, which will only put additional pressure on Rafa if he intends to keep his #2 position.

I'm also interested to see Nole on clay. He grew up on claycourts and hence moves very well there, and since he now has his hardcourt game all sorted out, it's time to take up improving on clay and grass.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 10:54:48 PM by Farenhajt »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2008, 11:31:16 PM »
I was wondering about his clay court season too.  I think he has the game to do well on the clay!  Didn't he make the SF of the FO last year and run out of steam or something?  I forget.  Either way, I think the clay could treat him well.

The problem is that there are a lot more 'other players' good on clay to give him trouble....and it seems like he was running out of steam last year in long clay matches.  But I hear he's gotten in better shape, so we shall see. 

Well, one thing people complained about when Roger was dominating was that it was "boring".  I don't think they can say that now. :rofl_2: 

What is Djokovic's clay schedule anyway?  Where are you Djokovic fans?  How many tournaments has he scheduled to play in this upcoming clay season?

So far only the Masters (Monte Carlo, Rome, Hamburg) and Roland Garros. He holds the Estoril title, but according to the current plan, he's gonna skip it.

His results on claycourt Masters: one R16, two QF's. Comparing Nole 2.0 (2008 version) with Nole 1.0 (2007 version), in spite of the fact that there are many more competent claycourters around, I think he's still the man who should make at least the semis in all three events. That makes 350 points more in waiting, but that will be diminished by (the expected) loss of 200 Estoril points. Moreover, if he happens to strike a good form and end up in non-Rafa half in any of those events, he might as well be coming all the way to the finals, which will only put additional pressure on Rafa if he intends to keep his #2 position.

I'm also interested to see Nole on clay. He grew up on claycourts and hence moves very well there, and since he now has his hardcourt game all sorted out, it's time to take up improving on clay and grass.

Thanks for the update.

Offline NoleDjoke

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2008, 05:29:55 AM »

Nice.  :))

I believe Nole is closer than ever to taking that no. 2 spot. and hopefully, eventually, no. 1 in the recent years to come..  can't wait for clay season.. it'll be interesting to see how the King of Clay defends his turf.

:))
Outdo the outdone.

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2008, 07:04:38 AM »

Nice.  :))

I believe Nole is closer than ever to taking that no. 2 spot. and hopefully, eventually, no. 1 in the recent years to come..  can't wait for clay season.. it'll be interesting to see how the King of Clay defends his turf.

:))

With Federer's current form, he will soon be n°1, unless he gets injured.

Offline RFK

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2008, 10:01:56 PM »
I think Nole has a good shot to be the 2nd best player on clay in 2008. 

Nole get Miami and take a dominant lead in the race to #1.  :)>>>>

Offline Farenhajt

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2008, 01:05:13 AM »
Last year he met Nadal on clay twice - in Rome and in RG. In Rome it was no-fuss beating by Nadal, but in Paris Nole managed to break Nadal twice in the first set, on the road to being straightsetted again. If Nole's trends of fast learning and constant improving are to be observed, this year I do expect tighter battle, though I certainly don't expect him to win a match against Nadal. Yet.

(But to be honest, he does handle Nadal's topspins better than Fed, doesn't he? That might prove important.)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2008, 01:25:08 AM »
Last year he met Nadal on clay twice - in Rome and in RG. In Rome it was no-fuss beating by Nadal, but in Paris Nole managed to break Nadal twice in the first set, on the road to being straightsetted again. If Nole's trends of fast learning and constant improving are to be observed, this year I do expect tighter battle, though I certainly don't expect him to win a match against Nadal. Yet.

(But to be honest, he does handle Nadal's topspins better than Fed, doesn't he? That might prove important.)

Nadal will have added motivation on clay simply since he has not been able to make any headway anywhere else. his resolve may be greater than ever particularly if he manages to lose at Monte Carlo. he will really be out for blood after that. i feel he is most vulnerable in his first clay event this year since he is mired in a big slump and may require a tournament to get his bearings right.

he is also headed to Germany for Davis Cup tie which will be on fast indoor hard courts so he is likely to have hardly any time to practice on clay before Monte Carlo.

now with that said, nobody should ignore or overlook the strides Djokovic is making. he can play on clay. added confidence that comes with improved game and improved fitness means he will be a factor on clay.

it does remain to be seen where he fits in on clay. he could be better that Fed on clay or just a step behind him. we dont know that yet.

Fed is playing an extra clay event in Estoril so he will pull up in Monte Carlo with possibly a clay title in hand.

Offline Farenhajt

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #187 on: March 26, 2008, 01:41:37 AM »
Djokovic-Federer comparison on clay should indeed be VERY interesting. At the serve department, both are excellent and just about equal in that excellence, but clay, being slow as it is, could provide extra possibilites for Nole's offensive return game. Besides, I think he's become well acquainted with all Fed's weapons and is able to answer. The only problematic matter is stamina, therefore in the Masters I'd give a slight edge to Nole, but in RG it's an open thing.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 01:42:37 AM by Farenhajt »

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2008, 01:50:46 AM »
Djokovic-Federer comparison on clay should indeed be VERY interesting. At the serve department, both are excellent and just about equal in that excellence, but clay, being slow as it is, could provide extra possibilites for Nole's offensive return game. Besides, I think he's become well acquainted with all Fed's weapons and is able to answer. The only problematic matter is stamina, therefore in the Masters I'd give a slight edge to Nole, but in RG it's an open thing.

i may be inclined to agree with you but i need to see a match or 2 between them. Nole will step in and brutalize Fed`s backhand side on clay to open up the court. we need to see if Fed has any answers for that. we know brutalizing his backhand side has been a deal breaker for Nadal. his heavy and relentless topsin drives just break Fed`s backhand down and also open up the court for Nadal to take the advantage.

clay will neutralize/equalize their (Fed and Djokovic) serves so i dont see either one with a significant advantage in that department. both should have plenty of time to return well and get the point rolling. i think Fed is smart enough to know that he cannot affored to give up any ground (court) to Djokovic or he will take full advantage of it.

with Fed`s health being a bit of an issue, a slight edge may go to Djokovic. we will see how it plays out.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2008, 07:13:21 PM »
This is transcribed from an article in this month's Tennis Week (I know a weekly coming out every month ..-)).
He's looking at the same things I've been mentioning about Nadal, only he's adding Federer's points he has to defend as well. He thinks if he can defend his title in Miami, he could take over the #1 spot before the end of summer.
Quote from: Tennis Week article by Vojin Velickovic
Djokovic has studied the rankings methodically and sees where he has an opportunity to move ahead of Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. But the next three months will be vital to his challenge, and a lot will hinge on Miami and repeating his triumph of last year.
"Federer and Nadal are not that dominant anymore and I see the whole picture differently. Their advantage in the ATP rankings is not that big anymore," he says. The way he reads it, the top two players will be very vulnerable over the next three months. Both have to defend a lot of points between the middle of April and early July. Federer is defending 2625 points for his Wimbledon and Hamburg titles, Roland Garros and Monte Carlo finals and Rome round of 16. Nadal has an even bigger challenge: 3405 points for Roland Garros, Rome, Monte Carlo and Barcelona wins, Wimbledon and Hamburg finals and Queens quarterfinal.
Djokovic, in the same period, has to defend only 1445 points for Roland Garros and Wimbledon semifinals, a win in Estoril, quarterfinals in Hamburg and Rome, rounds of 16 in Monte Carlo and Queens.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2008, 08:02:20 PM »
Okay, but what is going to stop Rafa from winning all of those again.  And, one would have to think Fed is going to re-awaken.........if not then Djoko could take over him in due time!   Interesting times. 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2008, 08:36:09 PM »
Okay, but what is going to stop Rafa from winning all of those again.  And, one would have to think Fed is going to re-awaken.........if not then Djoko could take over him in due time!   Interesting times. 

True, Nadal is likely to match all those points. I'm not sure Federer is going to be able to do the same. If he has mono, he will have times where he feels right, and times where he doesn't. Not a good situation to be approaching a very busy season of tennis.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Farenhajt

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2008, 09:45:44 PM »
Nadal's points are almost maximized during the clay season - all he can earn is 150 points for Hamburg title, and that's gonna happen ONLY if he wins everything else too (Rome, Monte Carlo, RG, Barcelona).

Meanwhile, Nole's almost certain to do better this year than previous, so he's gonna cut more of that Nadal's (not respectable) 425 pts lead over him, and then take him over in Wimbledon, or in the Olympics at the latest.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:46:47 PM by Farenhajt »

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
Nadal's points are almost maximized during the clay season - all he can earn is 150 points for Hamburg title, and that's gonna happen ONLY if he wins everything else too (Rome, Monte Carlo, RG, Barcelona).

Meanwhile, Nole's almost certain to do better this year than previous, so he's gonna cut more of that Nadal's (not respectable) 425 pts lead over him, and then take him over in Wimbledon, or in the Olympics at the latest.

absolutely correct. Nole is just defending around 1400 points in the next 2 months at best while Nadal has his hands full with defending 3200+ points.

he is just going to have to let some of those points go as it is just too much for 1 person. i dont want him getting hurt. Monte Carlo will be good but i dont mind seeing him lose in Barcelona so he can sort of pace himself. he is not as fit as in the past so injury and health are key concerns.

he just has to look to peak for Roland Garrros and Wimbledon for now and try to come back stronger next year.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2008, 11:02:37 AM »

You mean in the rankings? :rofl_2: And how many points does Djokovic have to defend between now and the Olympics? Semis at FO and Wimbledon, title at Estoril (which he's not playing), quarters at Rome and Hamburg, win at Canada. His first big title, he has not defended. Rafa has shown that he can defend his big titles. Monte Carlo, Rome, Barcelona, and the French Open. IMO, Djokovic has just as much to lose, if not more, than Rafa before the Olympics.

Offline Farenhajt

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2008, 12:50:53 PM »
Yada yada yada... Dubai title, then bye-bye in the first round of IW. Go polish your nails, sweetheart :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 12:53:48 PM by Farenhajt »

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #196 on: March 29, 2008, 12:55:34 PM »
How did Andy get in the discussion? I didn't even bring him up :no-no-no: I was stating a FACT that Djokovic has not defended his first big title and stated the FACT that Rafa has defended his. Therefore, I like Rafa's chances in defending all his clay points so Djokovic could not surpass him before the USO, if at all this year.

IW title and then second round in Miami. :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 12:56:15 PM by blackgirltennis »

Offline RFK

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #197 on: March 29, 2008, 12:58:42 PM »
Yada yada yada... Dubai title, then bye-bye in the first round of IW. Go polish your nails, sweetheart :)

She is a Gasquet fan, that should tell you enough about her tennis likes/understanding.  Leave her alone as there is more than enough pain cheering for the "genius"

Nole if you didnt want to play, you should have just not come to the tourny.  Oh well get ready for the clay and try and make a few finals.

Vamos Rafa, Adje Nole

Offline Farenhajt

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #198 on: March 29, 2008, 01:00:45 PM »

She is a Gasquet fan, that should tell you enough about her tennis likes/understanding.  Leave her alone as there is more than enough pain cheering for the "genius"

Nole if you didnt want to play, you should have just not come to the tourny.  Oh well get ready for the clay and try and make a few finals.

Vamos Rafa, Adje Nole

She's a Ducktard... Gasquet fandom is otherwise driven ;)

How did Andy get in the discussion? I didn't even bring him up :no-no-no: I was stating a FACT that Djokovic has not defended his first big title and stated the FACT that Rafa has defended his. Therefore, I like Rafa's chances in defending all his clay points so Djokovic could not surpass him before the USO, if at all this year.

IW title and then second round in Miami. :)

Roddick could though :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 01:02:53 PM by Farenhajt »

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #199 on: March 29, 2008, 01:01:58 PM »

Vamos Rafa, Adje Nole

I'm also a Nadal fan. ..-) ..-)

Roddick could though :)

:confused1: