Poll

What do you think Djokovic's ranking will be by the end of the year?

2 (8.3%)
14 (58.3%)
7 (29.2%)
0 (0%)
even lower
1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: February 15, 2008, 09:10:19 PM

Author Topic: Djokovic's Ranking at the end of 2008?  (Read 15287 times)

Offline fleabitten

• Tennis Player
  • Having fits on the court since the eighties.
    • My Tennisopolis.com Profile Page
Djokovic's Ranking at the end of 2008?
« on: January 25, 2008, 09:10:19 PM »
He looked so good in his win over Fed yesterday that this begs the question.  Is Nole the heir of Roger's throne?  Where will he be at the end of '08 and at the end of '09, '10?
fb
:) :) :) :) :)
I’m a member of  Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network
Over 16,000 fans, players, coaches, pros and industry wags.
Come network with the world of tennis!
:) :) :) :) :)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Djokovic's Ranking at the end of 2008?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:16:27 PM »
The clay is still Nadal's. he'll get his points like last year.

Fed isn't ready to concede, I think the time off he had with sickness and missing his tune up tournament left him a little off. he should rebound and he knows it'll be tough, he'll be ready.

Djoko should make some inroads into Fed's hardcourt points.

I think it'll be like last year but closer in the point spread.

Offline NoleDjoke

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
I think he'll take over Nadal in the 2nd placing at most...  Fed's having a bad day last night but he won't lose his throne jus that easily. Meanwhile I do foresee Nadal sliding down the ranks.  :\

Anyways, though I'm a Djokovic fan, I don't wish for him to reach No. 1 this soon.. Have a feeling he's got the tendency to turn a little cocky, with the meteroic rise.. Being No. 1 would mean he has got a lot to defend. I prefer him being the underdog with a desire to prove the world.
Outdo the outdone.

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 11:01:58 PM »
Borg didn't win any majors after 25, McEnroe didn't win any majors after 25, and now Federer is 26. His time is over! It's Djokovic's time to shine, baby! Novak will win three of the four majors this year, Nadal will win the other one on clay, Federer heads into retirement, he is doneeeeee!!!

Novak = new #1.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:03:33 PM by DirtyKash »

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 11:06:42 PM »
Borg didn't win any majors after 25, McEnroe didn't win any majors after 25, and now Federer is 26. His time is over! It's Djokovic's time to shine, baby! Novak will win three of the four majors this year, Nadal will win the other one on clay, Federer heads into retirement, he is doneeeeee!!!

Novak = new #1.

Fed does have major points to defend but he won't give up that easily.  Fed will pick up some points at Indian Wells and Miami while Djoko and Nadal have to win those tournaments to keep those points.  Besides, the loss may be good for Fed.  Hopefully it'll convince him to hire a coach who takes away some of the pressure such as scouting the opponent, etc.  Don't count Fed out yet.  He's too close to rewriting the history books to just fade away. 
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 11:07:40 PM »

Novak = new #1.

Fed does have major points to defend but he won't give up that easily.  Fed will pick up some points at Indian Wells and Miami while Djoko and Nadal have to win those tournaments to keep those points.  Besides, the loss may be good for Fed.  Hopefully it'll convince him to hire a coach who takes away some of the pressure such as scouting the opponent, etc.  Don't count Fed out yet.  He's too close to rewriting the history books to just fade away. 

I would like to see Federer get a coach but I am not holding my breath.  He seems stubborn about accepting his game being in decline which I and others have noted since last Spring.    Maybe the difference now though is he finally tasted defeat, a comprehensive straight sets defeat to boot, at a non-French Open slam.   It seemed alot of his denial was easier since he was getting a bit lucky and still winning slams even though he appeared to be struggling.   Now that his luck finally ran out, it may be what it takes for him to accept this need to try and get his game back on track.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:09:06 PM by kittens25 »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 11:08:29 PM »
Is that lady fat or pregnant?

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 04:15:32 AM »

she was fat, so she got pregnant so she could have an excuse.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 05:27:12 AM »

she was fat, so she got pregnant so she could have an excuse.

:rofl_2: Nice pawan

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 05:27:39 AM »
2, obviously.
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 05:28:53 AM »

Novak = new #1.

Come to think of it, are there any players who have won a slam after Federer's current age? er....yeah, there might be quite a few :head-smack: As long as federer gets a coach he'll still break Pete's record with something to spare.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 05:29:26 AM »
I said 3 because I don't see Rafa slipping up too much on clay.

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 05:30:41 AM »
I said 3 because I don't see Rafa slipping up too much on clay.

I still think djoko will get more points overall then Nadal
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 06:47:22 AM »
I'm going for number 2 because I honestly think he could have Rafa this year, especially if Rafa's body crumbles again after Wimbledon. Also I'm not too sure about Rafa at Wimbledon and he's got huge points to defend there.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 07:28:17 AM »
I'm going for number 2 because I honestly think he could have Rafa this year, especially if Rafa's body crumbles again after Wimbledon. Also I'm not too sure about Rafa at Wimbledon and he's got huge points to defend there.

Well said.  I had voted the same before but you put it into words almost perfectly. 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 10:37:40 AM »

Well said.  I had voted the same before but you put it into words almost perfectly. 

If that happens it doesn't mean Djokovic is a lock to gain points. He has a fantastic summer and fall. So he has a lot of points to defend. Even if he does do well it will be hard to gain points. He will have to make hay during the clay court season (while Nadal falters), and the post US Open tournaments if he is to make up ground. And if Nadal does find a way to stay healthy after Wimbledon and play good tennis in the summer, he will gain points as well.
He could do it, but it won't be easy.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 10:43:33 AM by dmastous »

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline NoleDjoke

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »
hmmm.. i just don't see Nadal holding up well. Maybe Tsonga just made him looked really bad..  :rofl_2: I believe Federer is not ready to retire his throne, I may be a Djokovic supporter but I do admit Fed was off his form that semi-final, and djokovic took his chance. But after that loss, I'm pretty sure Roger will come back fighting. I trust Djokovic to hold his ground and maintain or even improve on his performances in FO and Wimbly - be a finalist at least for either.

As Billie Jean King texted Sharapova before her finals match - "Champions takes chances..." - Djokovic has matured to handle the nerves and take those chances this time as witnessed in the finals (compared to USO last year).
Outdo the outdone.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 03:52:27 PM »
What is worrisome for Djokovic fans is his body breaking down.  Even in this 4 set win, he was having physical problems.  If the match had went 5 sets - I have no idea who would have won.  Last year at the end of the season he was toast at the Year-End master's .... Sure, he's improved in his fitness but I think he has a long way to go because the tennis season is such a long season.  I was concerned for him at the beginning of this year when he played Hopman cup.  He just doesn't seem to hold up (bodywise) in a lot of tournaments.  In fact, I wasn't surprised when he called for a trainer in this match.

So...all that to say is it'll be hard for him to pick up points in the clay season because Nadal has proven that he can and has defended is clay points so I don't think Djokovic can pick up a lot from there.  Then Wimbledon is so hugh for Roger that he'll throw everything in the wind to win that one. (And remember Djokovic had to default in that tournament because he was tired).  Wimbledon can play like that a lot - a lot of matches get backed up, etc.

Djokovic got hot through the US Open series so he'll have to defend these points, which he may.  But Djokovic's fans have to have been alarmed at how he finished up the Master's Cup.  He didn't have anything left.  Now maybe he will manage his schedule a little better this year because, again, he was toast at the end of last year.

All this to say - heck, who knows where he'll finish!  If only we all could call the future, we'd all be rich! :rofl_2:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 09:01:05 AM »
I'm with Dallas on this one.
I think he has too many points to defend and doesn't have the fitness to do it.
I see him slipping out of the top 5 by the end of August.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 09:57:59 AM »
I have to ask myself how much of those antics are legitimate and how much are his struggles, and that's how it comes out.
In otherwords, each player deals with the effort to make it through a tough match, or the tough part of a match differently. Some are stoic and don't appear to be effected. Others show their emotions. Djokovic wears his emotions on his sleeve, both good and bad.
In those bad times, he, like his countrywoman Janks, can be a drama queen.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)