Poll

What do you think Djokovic's ranking will be by the end of the year?

2 (8.3%)
14 (58.3%)
7 (29.2%)
0 (0%)
even lower
1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: February 15, 2008, 09:10:19 PM

Author Topic: Djokovic's Ranking at the end of 2008?  (Read 14465 times)

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Re: Djokovic's Ranking at the end of 2008?
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2008, 04:02:25 PM »
I miss the "if Fed loses in 4th round and Nadal wins the tourney" scenario

That is because they is no realism to the scenario.  There is even much more chance of Nadal losing in the 4th round then Federer, considering who they are both playing.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2008, 04:39:11 PM »

That is because they is no realism to the scenario.  There is even much more chance of Nadal losing in the 4th round then Federer, considering who they are both playing.

Who are you and what have you done with kittens?

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2008, 04:44:50 PM »

Who are you and what have you done with kittens?

I am just acknowledging Nadal has a much tougher 4th round opponent for him then Federer has for himself.  That is all.    Youzhny is a very tough opponent for Nadal on anything but clay.   Hewitt has been Federer's doormat for a long time now.   Dont read more into what I said then I actually did, although I know that is a favorite pasttime of many people around here.

Offline Yamor

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2008, 05:15:23 PM »
If Federer was to win Wimbledon, and Nadal to lose in the fourth, then Fed (6900) would be 1695 points clear of Nadal (5205). In the race, Fed would only be 40 points behind Nadal, which, if I'm not mistaken, would be better then last year.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2008, 05:19:33 PM »
If Federer was to win Wimbledon, and Nadal to lose in the fourth, then Fed (6900) would be 1695 points clear of Nadal (5205). In the race, Fed would only be 40 points behind Nadal, which, if I'm not mistaken, would be better then last year.

Every year, around this time, Rafa is expected to be year end #1  :whistle:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2008, 06:21:48 PM »
Not much to do today so...

As it stands today:

last    4th
                      year    Rnd.   total(after wimby)
Fed         6900    -1000    +150     6050
Nadal       5755     -700    +150     5205
Nole        5360     -450     +35     4935

If Fed and Nadal make QF's then lose

last     QF
Fed          6900    -1000    +250     6150
Nadal        5755    -700     +250     5305
Nole         5360    -450      +35     4935

If Fed and Nadal make SF's then lose

last     SF
Fed         6900    -1000    +450     6350
Nadal       5755    -700     +450     5505
Nole        5360    -450      +35     4935

Same result as last year

Fed        6900
Nadal      5755   -1145
Nole       4935   -1965  -820 (behind Nadal)

If Nadal wins and Fed is second

Fed        6600
Nadal      6055   -545
Nole       4935   -1665  -1120(behind Nadal)

If Nadal wins and Fed loses in the 4th round.  :(

Fed        6050
Nadal      6055   +5
Nole       4935   -1115  -1120(behind Nadal)

And for Dallas....
If Fed wins and Nadal loses in the 4th round.  :)

Fed        6900
Nadal      5205   -1695
Nole       4935   -1965  -270(behind Nadal)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2008, 06:44:04 PM »
Anyways at year half point it seems like last year, Fed's out there again and Nadal has almost no chance to catch him. Looks like Djokovic had his run for the year and will have to settle for third again.

Even with the sickness #'s 2 and 3 can't seem to make any ground.

Is there anyone who still thinks Djoko still has a shot at #1, post your reasons and I won't use it against you later, I promise.  ;-()

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2008, 07:05:31 PM »
Thanks swish! :))

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2008, 09:11:25 PM »
Anyways at year half point it seems like last year, Fed's out there again and Nadal has almost no chance to catch him. Looks like Djokovic had his run for the year and will have to settle for third again.

Is there anyone who still thinks Djoko still has a shot at #1, post your reasons and I won't use it against you later, I promise.  ;-()

More so than Nole..I still believe its rafa who stands a higher chance to be the no:1 by the end of the year...i reckon he's just got 380 points to defend in the coming tournaments including the USO...and we've already seen that Rafa managed to reach the SF's of the AO this year..so it only means that he has been improving even on hard courts...if Rafa manages to win wimby and does well in the coming tournaments then I still think the no:1 spot is up for grabs...of course it all comes down to how well Fed will be able to defend his points here because Nole will be back for sure.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2008, 09:22:02 PM »

More so than Nole..I still believe its rafa who stands a higher chance to be the no:1 by the end of the year...i reckon he's just got 380 points to defend in the coming tournaments including the USO...and we've already seen that Rafa managed to reach the SF's of the AO this year..so it only means that he has been improving even on hard courts...if Rafa manages to win wimby and does well in the coming tournaments then I still think the no:1 spot is up for grabs...of course it all comes down to how well Fed will be able to defend his points here because Nole will be back for sure.

Fed does have a lot of points to defend and Rafa could make up some ground with his improved game on hards, a win at Wimby would get him going in the right direction and set him up for a run this year. Djokovic has a lot of ground to make up and it looks doubtful he can even make it to #2, his loss at Wimby really hurt him for this year. The time Novak gets close to #1 there might be some new faces for him to battle, next year he may have a better shot.

Offline fleabitten

• Tennis Player
  • Having fits on the court since the eighties.
    • My Tennisopolis.com Profile Page
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »
Well, it is the end of 2008 (essentially) and it's nice to ressurrect this old prediction thread and see how we all did.  The majority picked Nole ot finish in the two spot - DIDN'T HAPPEN.  I can't even remember what I picked..   :rofl_2:   Is there a way to see what your own vote was?

thx, flea
:) :) :) :) :)
Iím a member of  Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network
Over 16,000 fans, players, coaches, pros and industry wags.
Come network with the world of tennis!
:) :) :) :) :)

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2008, 06:40:43 PM »

Every year, around this time, Rafa is expected to be year end #1  :whistle:

Nice to see people who know nothing of tennis but make predictions base on likeability........it was just a matter of time for Nadal to take over. Sadly, most people don't look at this with objectivity.

You were saying?????

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2008, 11:44:11 PM »
Well, it is the end of 2008 (essentially) and it's nice to ressurrect this old prediction thread and see how we all did.  The majority picked Nole ot finish in the two spot - DIDN'T HAPPEN.  I can't even remember what I picked..   :rofl_2:   Is there a way to see what your own vote was?

thx, flea

Your "most picking to finish in the top two spot" is a sort of lie of omission.  It is the truth technically speaking, but it a manipulative statement.   Many more people (7 at #3, 8 lower then #2) picked Djokovic to not make #2 then picked him to be #1 (only 2), so why you would word peoples predictions like that makes no sense.   Second ly while 14 did pick him to finish #2, 7 picked him to finish #3, so while alot more at #2 still a very good share at #3.  Thirdly, he missed year end #2 by the smallest margin so obviously either were very possible, and what was almost undoubtably a fluke type loss at one of the major events (the wild card called Safin) almost certainly led to this.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2008, 11:55:09 PM »

thx, flea

Your "most picking to finish in the top two spot" is a sort of lie of omission.  It is the truth technically speaking, but it a manipulative statement.   Many more people (7 at #3, 8 lower then #2) picked Djokovic to not make #2 then picked him to be #1 (only 2), so why you would word peoples predictions like that makes no sense.   Second ly while 14 did pick him to finish #2, 7 picked him to finish #3, so while alot more at #2 still a very good share at #3.  Thirdly, he missed year end #2 by the smallest margin so obviously either were very possible, and what was almost undoubtably a fluke type loss at one of the major events (the wild card called Safin) almost certainly led to this.
yeah, and don't forget Kevin Anderson in the first (2nd) round of Miami  :whistle:. I'd smack Djokovic right now  :head-bash:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2008, 01:07:27 AM »
Top 3 finished in the order I predicted  :)
4th I had Davydenko as I didn't quite expect such a huge run from Murray after Wimbledon.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2008, 02:18:03 AM »
Roger Federer has said he is not that bothered about Serbia's Novak Djokovic closing in on his ranking as world number two.

"I'm going to sleep well for a month. He (Djokovic) is not going to pass me anytime soon," Federer said.
"For me, honestly, ranking two, three, four, five, 25, it doesn't really matter a whole lot, you know. For me it is either number one or being in the main draw," added the Swiss.

Djokovic, who won the Masters Cup in Shanghai on Monday, is just 10 points shy of Federer in the world rankings.
Federer was in the Malaysian capital for an exhibition event
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2008, 08:51:24 AM »
Roger Federer has said he is not that bothered about Serbia's Novak Djokovic closing in on his ranking as world number two.

"I'm going to sleep well for a month. He (Djokovic) is not going to pass me anytime soon," Federer said.
"For me, honestly, ranking two, three, four, five, 25, it doesn't really matter a whole lot, you know. For me it is either number one or being in the main draw," added the Swiss.

Djokovic, who won the Masters Cup in Shanghai on Monday, is just 10 points shy of Federer in the world rankings.

hmm....lol he's kidding himself if he says that the ranking doesn't bother...it matters a lot to him...it matters a big deal...its a matter of pride and ego....the number one player is the best and the number two is the second best...would he settle for being number 3 in the world?

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2008, 01:31:37 PM »

hmm....lol he's kidding himself if he says that the ranking doesn't bother...it matters a lot to him...it matters a big deal...its a matter of pride and ego....the number one player is the best and the number two is the second best...would he settle for being number 3 in the world?

Herc or someone made a big deal out of what Roger said saying he's arrogant and all, but when I read the statement I read that when he said "he's not going to pass me anytime soon"...to mean what he said in the first half of the statement "I'm going to sleep well for a month".  So Djokovic and he are through playing tennis for at least a month so he (Djokovic) doesn't even have an opportunity to pass him for at least a month so he's not going to worry about it until then.  And the 2nd part I also agree.  Remember one time Roger said "No one really will remember what you finished unless it was #1.  #2, #3, #4 doesn't matter.  All that matters is #1."  So that's why he is saying the other rankings doesn't matter, all that really matters is who finishes #1.  It's not about 'settling' for anything less...

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2008, 06:34:44 PM »
I'm with Dallas on this one.
I think he has too many points to defend and doesn't have the fitness to do it.
I see him slipping out of the top 5 by the end of August.
Oooopsey Daisey.... :whistle:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2008, 10:50:47 PM »
during MS Rome I said Djokovic was going to be next number 1, it's so difficult to predict all those things.!
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.