Author Topic: Six Nations Rugby 2008  (Read 5973 times)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Six Nations Rugby 2008
« on: February 03, 2008, 10:07:40 AM »
The tournament started yesterday:

Ireland 16-11 Italy
England 19-26 Wales  :(

While currently, Scotland are down 6-17 to a new-look France side at Murrayfield  :(

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Re: Six Nations Rugby 2008
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:10:11 AM »
Ireland 16-11 Italy   
Ireland got off to a winning start in the RBS Six Nations but it was not the convincing performance they hoped for. They landed the first try in the 18th minute when Ronan O'Gara's crossfield ball was gathered by Andrew Trimble who laid off for Girvan Dempsey to go over. Italy fought for everything and were rewarded with a try by Sergio Parisse midway through the second half. O'Gara kicked three penalties to keep Ireland ahead but a late miss caused a nervy last few minutes for the hosts.

Ireland next face France away but will be without centre Gordon D'Arcy who went off in the first half with a stress fracture to his forearm. Ireland took a while to settle from the kick-off but they nudged ahead with an O'Gara penalty in the 15th minute. Soon afterwards Eddie O'Sullivan's side stretched their lead with the only try of the first half. O'Gara's precise kick landed in Trimble's hands and the Ulster winger rode Mauro Bergamasco's tackle before finding Dempsey who dashed home. The conversion made it 10-0 to Ireland and took O'Gara to 400 points in the Six Nations. D'Arcy had to go off in the 26th minute after injuring his right arm in tacking Andrea Masi. That meant Rob Kearney coming on as winger and Trimble switching to inside centre.

Biarritz lock Santiago Dellape was sent to the sin-bin for punching on 30 minutes. But Italy defended strongly and even produced a penalty through Bortolussi. Early in the second Ireland had 10 minutes with a man down as Simon Easterby was sin-binned for playing the ball after the tackle. Italy frequently used cynical measures to halt Irish attacks and one such moment was punished by referee Jonathan Kaplan and O'Gara's kick made it 13-3. But Ireland were never able to shrug off the dogged Italians and the contest was sparked into life as the visitors got their try on the hour. Skipper Parisse was credited with the score after a lengthy deliberation by the video judge confirmed the charge over was legitimate. Bortolussi's conversion attempt was wide of the posts but Ireland had every reason to be worried with the gap down to five. But nerves were eased a little as O'Gara landed a penalty awarded for a handling offence on the floor. However, Bortolussi's second penalty brought it back to 16-11 to make things a little too close for comfort for the Triple Crown holders.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:13:05 AM »
England 19-26 Wales
Wales claimed their first win at Twickenham for 20 years with a superb second-half comeback to defeat England. England dominated the first half, with Jonny Wilkinson's boot and a Toby Flood try giving them a 16-6 half-time lead. But the second half was a different story as James Hook kicked Wales to within seven points of England. Lee Byrne finished off a superb move before Mike Phillips put Wales ahead for the first time after Iain Balshaw's indecisive kick was charged down. It was Wales' first match under new coach Warren Gatland, and the New Zealander must have said something special to his players at half-time as they recovered from a terrible first half to get his reign off to a winning start.

England took the lead within a minute as Martyn Williams conceded a penalty straight from the kick-off, which Wilkinson knocked over with ease. Hook quickly levelled the scores, but the warning signs were there for Wales as the visitors began to turn the ball over with alarming frequency. Shaun Edwards, brought in as Wales' new defence coach, would not have been impressed as England winger David Strettle beat seven tacklers on a weaving run to within 5m of Wales' try-line in the opening minutes. Wales were fortunate that Strettle failed to notice the unmarked Paul Sackey, but they fell behind again when Wilkinson kicked his second penalty. A right-footed Wilkinson drop-goal kept England's scoreboard ticking over, and England extended their lead when his cross-kick isolated Mark Jones against debutant Lesley Vainikolo, on for the injured Strettle. Flood and Vainikolo combined to create England's first try The former rugby league star, sporting an extravagent hairstyle to mark the occasion, outjumped Jones and offloaded one-handed for Flood to score under the posts.

Hook kicked his second penalty to keep his side within 10 points of England, but the pressure was almost exclusively on Wales as their bad habit of turning over ball continued to undermine their hopes. Wilkinson missed with a penalty but, after Sackey had a possible try ruled out by the video referee, England ended the half camped deep in Wales' 22. Wales needed a steady start to the second half, but a suicidal attempt by Shane Williams to break from his own line ended with Wilkinson kicking another penalty to put his side 19-6 up. With nothing to lose, Wales began to play with a little more fluency and Hook narrowed the gap after James Haskell conceded a penalty.  A lack of clarity of thought and how to play under pressure cost us and we helped Wales along the way

A superb break from Henson - courtesy of glorious steps past Wilkinson and Andy Gomarsall - kept the pressure on England. Some schoolboy errors saw England concede 70m in the space of a few seconds as player after player refused to take responsibility for a ball going backwards, and Hook punished them with another penalty. England's first-half dominance was fast becoming a distant memory as a simply dreadful Wilkinson pass - which missed replacement Danny Cipriani by a good five metres - gave Wales the perfect attacking opportunity. Hook danced around three tacklers and offloaded for Byrne to score and the fly-half then curled in a beautiful conversion to level the scores. But worse was to follow for England just moments later as Balshaw dithered over a clearance kick deep in his own half and saw Phillips charge him down. Gethin Jenkins claimed the loose ball, and two passes later Phillips dived in at the corner - going through Balshaw's last-ditch tackle - to put his side ahead for the first time. Another superb Hook conversion put Wales seven points clear, and England never looked like getting close to their opponents' try-line.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:35:01 AM »
That 2nd half collapse yesterday could only be described as a complete 'collapse' for England. Absolutely shocking and glad I hardly watched any of it, and don't follow rugby too much.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 10:40:29 AM »
That 2nd half collapse yesterday could only be described as a complete 'collapse' for England. Absolutely shocking and glad I hardly watched any of it, and don't follow rugby too much.

I'm glad I went to watch Carlisle instead  :rofl_2:

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 10:41:15 AM »
Scotland went one better than England: instead of a 2nd-half collapse, they had a 1st and 2nd half collapse, going down 6-27 to France. :head-smack:

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 10:57:09 AM »
Scotland 6-27 France
France got their new era off to a winning start as they outclassed Scotland to win their Six Nations opener at Murrayfield on Sunday. Dan Parks's early drop-goal put Scotland ahead, but a disputed Vincent Clerc try put France in control. Julien Malzieu also crossed before half-time as France's attacking flair proved too much for Scotland. The outstanding Clerc extended the lead after the break with his second as a new-look France hit the ground running.

In the build-up to his first match in charge of Les Bleus, new coach Marc Lievremont promised a return to the French traditions after replacing the more prosaic Bernard Laporte, and his players certainly lived up to expectations in an impressive showing. France, with four debutants among their ranks, attacked from deep from the off and showed a willingness to tap-and-go from anywhere on the pitch, even spurning kickable penalties to keep the ball in hand.

With Murrayfield pumped up to fever pitch, Scotland killed the atmosphere stone dead with the most inauspicious of starts as Parks sent his kick-off sailing out on the full. Parks quickly made amends by slotting over a tidy drop-goal, and a couple of excellent tactical kicks put his side in promising positions as the home team started the match full of attacking intent.Livewire scrum-half Mike Blair was at the heart of their best moments and a powerful run from Nikki Walker kept his side on the front foot. But the momentum Scotland were beginning to build came to a shuddering halt with Clerc's controversial try after 11 minutes. Some delightful handling released Clerc down the right touchline, and the winger exchanged passes - with one looking suspiciously forward - with Cedric Heymans before cutting inside and going through Nick de Luca's tackle to score. Damien Traille added a penalty to take France 10-3 clear, while Parks' missed badly with his first penalty attempt. France's adventurous approach paid rich dividends on 23 minutes as, after a quick tapped penalty on halfway, debutant winger Malzieu chipped into acres of space and collected the ball - with the help of some generous defending by Parks and Rory Lamont. Parks cut the gap with a penalty, while Elissalde missed two kicks at goal in quick succession but there was no doubt which team was on top as the players went into half-time. Scotland centre De Luca knocked on soon after the start of the second half - his third mistake of a nervy debut - to hand France an early attacking foothold, but a Malzieu knock-on spared his blushes. But Traille soon punished a collapsed scrum from Scotland with his second penalty, and all the rugby was coming from a French side clearly relishing the opportunity to play with such freedom. Clerc was popping up with ball in hand all over the field, and he claimed a deserved second try after 64 minutes as he got on the end of his own grubber kick ahead to score next to the posts. Scotland did not give the game up, with replacement Chris Paterson stopped inches short of the try-line after hacking forward a loose ball and Chris Cusiter having the ball knocked out of his grasp as he tried to dive over a ruck. But it was France who ended the match on yet another attack from deep as their approach sent out a warning to the rest of the Six Nations.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 01:15:16 PM »
lol  :rofl_2: Yeah Carlisle over that shambles that is England any day of the week, even I'd have to say that! Scotland really did go one better than England with that result  :))

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 01:18:01 PM »
England will play at Stade de France...France is the favourite to win the title esp. following England's defeat yesterday at Twickenham!!!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 01:20:02 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 01:21:08 PM »
England will play at Stade de France...France is the favourite to win the title esp. following England's defeat yesterday!!!

If England play as they did in the 2nd half vs Wales I'd advise they skip the trip to Paris, and can claim to be the favourites almost for the wooden spoon.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 01:23:40 PM »
England will play at Stade de France...France is the favourite to win the title esp. following England's defeat yesterday!!!

If England play as they did in the 2nd half vs Wales I'd advise they skip the trip to Paris, and can claim to be the favourites almost for the wooden spoon.

I'll wait until they lose to Italy until I comment on that  :whistle:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 01:29:15 PM »

they played at Flaminio or Twickenham???  :confused1: it's impossible to think England (wc finalist 07) will lose against the Squadra Azzurra!!!!!
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 01:30:42 PM »

they played at Flaminio or Twickenham???  :confused1: it's impossible to think England (wc finalist 07) will lose against the Squadra Azzurra!!!!!

I think Flaminio: England started at home, Italy started away, so next match they should swap over.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 01:34:42 PM »

I think Flaminio: England started at home, Italy started away, so next match they should swap over.
imho England will comeback strong in Rome, I dont know why Italy plays this tournament, record is horrible, did they win 2 matches in hsitory of event??!!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 01:37:04 PM »

imho England will comeback strong in Rome, I dont know why Italy plays this tournament, record is horrible, did they win 2 matches in hsitory of event??!!

I think if Italy didn't play this, what would they play? Friendlies with the likes of Portugal and Romania?

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 01:44:43 PM »

I think if Italy didn't play this, what would they play? Friendlies with the likes of Portugal and Romania?
yes, they will play also Georgia, Spain and Netherlands.
Pumas should play in Tri-Nations!!!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 01:46:11 PM »

Italy are improving gradually and looking a little stronger each year. They tend to hold their own more often than not now a days in this event, and weren't disgraced by Ireland yesterday.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 01:48:04 PM »

Italy are improving gradually and looking a little stronger each year. They tend to hold their own more often than not now a days in this event, and weren't disgraced by Ireland yesterday.

Neither were Georgia in the World Cup  :whistle: Ireland don't seem the force they once were.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 01:57:57 PM »

Neither were Georgia in the World Cup  :whistle: Ireland don't seem the force they once were.

Shushhh, give Italy something to hold onto  :)) Ireland do seem to be struggling from what they were just a couple of years ago, but maybe a couple of big wins in this years Six Nations vs say France and England could get them going again.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 02:01:32 PM »

Shushhh, give Italy something to hold onto  :)) Ireland do seem to be struggling from what they were just a couple of years ago, but maybe a couple of big wins in this years Six Nations vs say France and England could get them going again.

These days, a win over England only gives a team confidence if they have a 50-point margin, anything else is average  :whistle: