Author Topic: Six Nations Rugby 2008  (Read 6429 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: Six Nations Rugby 2008
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 02:20:20 PM »
England will play at Stade de France...France is the favourite to win the title esp. following England's defeat yesterday!!!

If England play as they did in the 2nd half vs Wales I'd advise they skip the trip to Paris, and can claim to be the favourites almost for the wooden spoon.

I'll wait until they lose to Italy until I comment on that  :whistle:
they played at Flaminio or Twickenham???  :confused1: it's impossible to think England (wc finalist 07) will lose against the Squadra Azzurra!!!!!

I think Flaminio: England started at home, Italy started away, so next match they should swap over.
imho England will comeback strong in Rome, I dont know why Italy plays this tournament, record is horrible, did they win 2 matches in hsitory of event??!!

I think if Italy didn't play this, what would they play? Friendlies with the likes of Portugal and Romania?

Italy are improving gradually and looking a little stronger each year. They tend to hold their own more often than not now a days in this event, and weren't disgraced by Ireland yesterday.

Neither were Georgia in the World Cup  :whistle: Ireland don't seem the force they once were.

Shushhh, give Italy something to hold onto  :)) Ireland do seem to be struggling from what they were just a couple of years ago, but maybe a couple of big wins in this years Six Nations vs say France and England could get them going again.

These days, a win over England only gives a team confidence if they have a 50-point margin, anything else is average  :whistle:

Uhm, I must say thats quickly becoming the case unfortunately  :Confused:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 02:24:51 PM »
England will play at Stade de France...France is the favourite to win the title esp. following England's defeat yesterday!!!

If England play as they did in the 2nd half vs Wales I'd advise they skip the trip to Paris, and can claim to be the favourites almost for the wooden spoon.

they played at Flaminio or Twickenham???  :confused1: it's impossible to think England (wc finalist 07) will lose against the Squadra Azzurra!!!!!

I think Flaminio: England started at home, Italy started away, so next match they should swap over.
imho England will comeback strong in Rome, I dont know why Italy plays this tournament, record is horrible, did they win 2 matches in hsitory of event??!!

I think if Italy didn't play this, what would they play? Friendlies with the likes of Portugal and Romania?

Italy are improving gradually and looking a little stronger each year. They tend to hold their own more often than not now a days in this event, and weren't disgraced by Ireland yesterday.

Neither were Georgia in the World Cup  :whistle: Ireland don't seem the force they once were.

Shushhh, give Italy something to hold onto  :)) Ireland do seem to be struggling from what they were just a couple of years ago, but maybe a couple of big wins in this years Six Nations vs say France and England could get them going again.

These days, a win over England only gives a team confidence if they have a 50-point margin, anything else is average  :whistle:

Incredible: only a few months ago we were in a World Cup final, but now we're back at rock-bottom. :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008, 02:59:02 PM »

Incredible: only a few months ago we were in a World Cup final, but now we're back at rock-bottom. :rofl_2:

That's English/British sport in a nutshell for you  :rofl_2: Although I'm sure you'll agree I don't know how the heck we ever reached that final, that was just a miracle we got anywhere near it if we'r honest  :whistle:

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2008, 03:23:49 PM »
That's English/British sport in a nutshell for you  :rofl_2: Although I'm sure you'll agree I don't know how the heck we ever reached that final, that was just a miracle we got anywhere near it if we'r honest  :whistle:

Yeah, pretty much. I did get the impression there was a lot more effort and urgency in the games against Australia and France than at any time since the 2003 final, though. If only we could find that form regularly  ://

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2008, 03:28:58 PM »

Yeah, pretty much. I did get the impression there was a lot more effort and urgency in the games against Australia and France than at any time since the 2003 final, though. If only we could find that form regularly  ://

Yeah we had a 4 year lule/slump then all of a sudden pick it up for 2 games in the World Cup and now we're back to where we have been for near enough all of the past 4 years. The key word you use is exactly right 'consistency' there's absolutely none of that in the team, and doesn't look like there will be for a long time to come.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 03:31:30 PM »

Yeah we had a 4 year lule/slump then all of a sudden pick it up for 2 games in the World Cup and now we're back to where we have been for near enough all of the past 4 years. The key word you use is exactly right 'consistency' there's absolutely none of that in the team, and doesn't look like there will be for a long time to come.

If you want to be really depressed, we just lost to a team worse than Fiji! I'd say that makes us worse now than ever  :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 03:35:18 PM »

If you want to be really depressed, we just lost to a team worse than Fiji! I'd say that makes us worse now than ever  :rofl_2:

It really does get worse and worse by the month for English rugby  :whistle:

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 02:51:30 AM »
Today's matches:
Wales vs. Scotland, 2pm
France vs. Ireland, 4pm

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 06:18:07 AM »
Today's matches:
Wales vs. Scotland, 2pm
France vs. Ireland, 4pm

wins: Wales in Cardiff, France in Saint-Denis
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 06:52:48 AM »
Today's matches:
Wales vs. Scotland, 2pm
France vs. Ireland, 4pm

Thats the 2 predictions I'm going with.
Then tomorrow could England really be beaten in Rome? I'd say there's as good a chance for the Italians as ever before.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 06:58:27 AM »
Today's matches:
Wales vs. Scotland, 2pm
France vs. Ireland, 4pm

Then tomorrow could England really be beaten in Rome? I'd say there's as good a chance for the Italians as ever before.
are you drunk???  :confused1: England will defeat Italy at Flaminio for sure!!! you are WC finalist country, Prince William attended the final at Saint-Denis vs South Africa!!!! You are the only european country to clinch a WC in 03
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2008, 07:15:15 AM »
Today's matches:
Wales vs. Scotland, 2pm
France vs. Ireland, 4pm

are you drunk???  :confused1: England will defeat Italy at Flaminio for sure!!! you are WC finalist country, Prince William attended the final at Saint-Denis vs South Africa!!!! You are the only european country to clinch a WC in 03

And we sure played like it last weekend  :whistle: Italy will feel they have a chance for this one  :(

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2008, 07:39:53 AM »
Today's matches:
Wales vs. Scotland, 2pm
France vs. Ireland, 4pm

And we sure played like it last weekend  :whistle: Italy will feel they have a chance for this one  :(

Not drunk conchita as never have been tee total guy me. Italy really do have a chance if England play as they did vs Wales 2nd half last week, this was not a World Cup Finalist display, and that run to the final was more a miracle than anything else.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 07:46:53 AM »
Today's matches:
Wales vs. Scotland, 2pm
France vs. Ireland, 4pm

Not drunk conchita as never have been tee total guy me. Italy really do have a chance if England play as they did vs Wales 2nd half last week, this was not a World Cup Finalist display, and that run to the final was more a miracle than anything else.
I can not believe both of you are not proud of your legendary rugby country!!! I am shocked!!! A defeat at Flaminio will be the worst performance in England's history!!!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 07:54:01 AM »
Today's matches:
Wales vs. Scotland, 2pm
France vs. Ireland, 4pm

I can not believe both of you are not proud of your legendary rugby country!!! I am shocked!!! A defeat at Flaminio will be the worst performance in England's history!!!

Its really not a case of being proud or not, thats not the issue here. The issue is the present form and team and thats the problem here. Knowing the state of our rubgy right now it really wouldn't be the worst performance in our history to be beaten tomorrow.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2008, 08:03:39 AM »
Today's matches:
Wales vs. Scotland, 2pm
France vs. Ireland, 4pm

Its really not a case of being proud or not, thats not the issue here. The issue is the present form and team and thats the problem here. Knowing the state of our rubgy right now it really wouldn't be the worst performance in our history to be beaten tomorrow.

I agree with that mostly, although it would be the worst performance in our history if we lost, but it would come from the worst team in our history.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2008, 08:12:50 AM »
Today's matches:
Wales vs. Scotland, 2pm
France vs. Ireland, 4pm

I agree with that mostly, although it would be the worst performance in our history if we lost, but it would come from the worst team in our history.

Exactly right, as our current team is just about our worst we've ever had to be fair.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2008, 11:19:36 AM »
Wales (10) 30
Tries: S Williams (2), Hook
Cons: Hook (2), S Jones
Pens: Hook, S Jones (2)
Scotland (6) 15
Pens: Paterson (5)

A spectacular brace of Shane Williams tries saw Wales maintain their 100% start to the RBS Six Nations.

The home side dominated possession and territory and their flair saw first half tries for Williams and James Hook.

But dogged Scotland held on through the boot of Chris Paterson, the wing landing all five of his goal kicks.

Leading just 17-15 on 60 minutes, Wales changed their half-backs and regathered before Williams split the defence and squeezed in for a controversial score. 

Wales began with the momentum of last week's stunning win over England, man-of-the-match Martyn Williams and Hook pouncing on a loose Scotland line-out to win their side a scrum five metres from the visitors' line.

Scotland's defence proved stout through a series of Welsh drives, and they escaped with a penalty when Tom Shanklin held the ball on the floor.

The Welsh were looking to spread the ball in front of a record crowd at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium, but Hook spun a midfield pass into the arms of Andrew Henderson.

Paterson hacked forward to the Wales line, securing the position from which the wing - restored to Frank Hadden's team this week after the miserable loss to France - opened the scoring with a 10th-minute penalty.

Wales hit back in style, Mike Phillips carrying powerfully after gathering a misjudged open-field chip from Hugo Southwell. 

The ball was spun left, Hook putting Lee Byrne into space with a delightful pass after Gavin Henson helped straighten the line.

Byrne's pass went behind Shane Williams, but the winger gathered and threw a trademark side-step to cross for the opening try, converted by Hook.

The visitors saw 50-cap man Nathan Hines sin-binned for foolishly lashing out at Byrne when he was held at a ruck.

The 14 men held out, Hook and Paterson exchanging penalties after his return to leave Scotland relieved with a scoreline of 10-6 at the break.

The visitors were soon back to within a point, Paterson slotting an easy penalty after a bullocking run from Allister Hogg, an impressive first-half injury replacement for skipper Jason White.

But Martyn Williams broke through a ball-watching defence, and when scrappy ball was flung left Hook saw Ross Ford and Euan Murray in front of him.

The fly-half went for the front-rowers and squeaked through the gap, touching down then converting his own score. 

The unerring boot of Paterson clawed back two more penalties, though, cutting the gap to two points and prompting Wales coach Warren Gatland to replace half-backs Hook and Phillips with Stephen Jones and Dwayne Peel.

They helped keep Wales anchored in their opponents' half, Jones eking his side further ahead with a 65th-minute penalty.

Confidence rose in the home side, and after an impressive build-up the ball came to Williams who spotted half a yard of space in midfield.

The wing sailed outside Henderson and Southwell, before a desperate Nikki Walker tackle forced him to ground from mid-air with his body outside the touchline for a spectacular and hotly disputed try awarded by video referee Carlo Damasco.

Stephen Jones converted and added a penalty to complete a 100% kicking return from both teams, while his side showed the determination to deny the Scots a consolation try after a late rally.

Gatland will try to keep Welsh expectations in check, but with a home game against Italy in two weeks and a Triple Crown game in Dublin on 8 March, that seems unlikely.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2008, 11:29:01 AM »
Wales looking strong contenders: easy game at Millennium Stadium vs Italy, then Croke Park in Dublin. I love both stadiums!!! to finish at home vs France, possible final!!!

Scotland 0-2, next week in Dublin, then at home Murrayfield vs England, to finish with perhaps the wooden spoon match at Faminio vs Italy!! 

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2008, 12:01:42 PM »
Close scoreline this one by the end, but France always just had a little too much for Ireland at home in this one.

France (19) 26
Tries: Clerc 3, Heymans
Cons: Elissalde 3
Ireland (6) 21
Tries: Penalty try, Wallace
Con: O'Gara 1
Pens: O'Gara 3

Vincent Clerc's first-half hat-trick of tries gave France enough daylight to win at the Stade de France despite Ireland's stirring fightback.

A turnover gifted Clerc his first score and the winger's two other tries came after Irish mistakes.

Ahead 19-6 at the break, Cedric Heymans' try increased the lead before Ireland hit back with a penalty-try.

David Wallace's try cut the margin to eight but despite an O'Gara penalty and intense Irish pressure, France held on.

Ireland started brightly but an Aurelien Rougerie's break forced the scrambling Irish defence to concede a penalty although Jean-Baptiste Elissalde missed the chance.

Moments later, Julien Bonnaire crossed the try-line but he was held up by the Irish defence as he attempted to ground after running onto Cedric Heymans' pass.

Ireland responded with Andrew Trimble's charge putting the French defence under pressure in the 11th minute but a knock on by John Hayes ended the opportunity.

A turnover in a ruck gifted France their opening try as Elissalde's kick behind the Irish defence was gathered by Vincent Clerc who has the simple task of touching down.

After Elissalde had added the conversion, Ronan O'Gara's quick reply from a penalty gave the Irish some respite but Clerc, the man who had broken Irish hearts at Croke Park last year, was at it again in the 19th minute. 

Rob Kearney had initially failed to hold on to the restart and the some slack Irish midfield tackling enabled the barging David Skrela to set up Clerc for the simple finish.

Ireland squandered a glorious chance to hit back in the 27th minute after a turnover but Eoin Reddan's wild pass meant that Girvan Dempsey was quickly gobbled up by the French defence.

O'Gara's second penalty in the 29th minute undid some of the damage to cut France's lead to 12-6.

But the Munster fly-half was at fault in the 37th minute as he was caught in possession and the turnover culminated with Clerc completing his hat-trick after Heymans' pace had ripped apart the Irish defence.

Elissalde added the conversion and France led 19-6 at the interval.

The lively Heyman ran in France's fourth try after Brian O'Driscoll's charge-down of a Skrela kick sat up perfectly for the full-back.

Despite trailing 26-6, the Irish, to their credit kept battling and sustained pressure resulted in Welsh referee Nigel Owens awarded a penalty try in the 58th minute.

Amazingly, the Irish were back in with a glimmer of hope in the 61st minute when David Wallace barged his way over the French line as the home defence started to look decidedly vulnerable.

But crucially, O'Gara missed the conversion as France still led by more than one score at 26-18.

Ireland continued to put France under intense pressure and another great chance was squandered when Brian O'Driscoll's pass failed to find a team-mate when a try seemed on.

There was only five points in it with six minutes left when O'Gara struck a superb long-range penalty.

Ireland produced intense pressure in the closing seconds and they drove at the French line in injury-time but the chance was lost and the home side were mightily relieved to hear the final whistle.