Author Topic: Returning serve: what do you make of this?  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Returning serve: what do you make of this?
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 07:01:52 PM »
I think also, on top of what has been agreed upon, that the deeper out serve kind of forces you to get your eyes down on the ball moreso...........that is, if you want any chance to return it. 

I have a feeling most people probably take their eyes off of the serve once it is hit out more so than the opposite.  Speculation though.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline backhand_finish

• Tennis Player
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 06:59:44 AM »
i would think that you actually have great stroke mechanics but you're just too cooncerned about how you're hitting. just relax and let go!

on the other hand, i feel that it'll be good if one plans how the point is going to go thenjust rush into it.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 09:51:22 AM »
This has been by far the worst aspect of my game. Once in awhile I return decently, but most of the time it's really hit and miss. It seems to be even worse now that I'm not playing very often.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 10:02:01 AM »
Babble,
I've got another thought on this.  Do you think that your stroke changes when you're returning those long serves?  When I think about what I do when the serve is well long, it's a different stroke to some degree - I usually just block the ball back, getting down low to the ball and then using a really abbreviated stroke (not much backswing or follow-through).  It's different from my "normal" return, where I usually take a full follow-through.  You mentioned that you stand back because of your elongated strokes, so if you do think that your "long serve" return is different, you might consider trying to incorporate your "long serve" return into your "normal" return game.  If that makes any sense at all  :confused1:
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 06:32:51 PM »
Babble,
I've got another thought on this.  Do you think that your stroke changes when you're returning those long serves?  When I think about what I do when the serve is well long, it's a different stroke to some degree - I usually just block the ball back, getting down low to the ball and then using a really abbreviated stroke (not much backswing or follow-through).  It's different from my "normal" return, where I usually take a full follow-through.  You mentioned that you stand back because of your elongated strokes, so if you do think that your "long serve" return is different, you might consider trying to incorporate your "long serve" return into your "normal" return game.  If that makes any sense at all  :confused1:

Yeah, all that's true. Even what backhand_finish (welcome bro!) said is true: my "normal" stroke is different and when the serve is good, my entire focus is on my mechanics. Like I said, when I have time to think, I have an exaggerated recoil and attempt to put more spin on the ball, so much so that I either can't catch up to it or hit it so fat I've got nothing on it (if it stays in). This makes me think I have really slow eye-hand reactions. But when the serve is long... I don't block it, I have a nice, simple swing and get good wood. It's a compact swing less the recoil and topspin.

I'm hoping that moving in will force me to react and force me into playing a compact swing.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif