Author Topic: Farve to retire  (Read 1304 times)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Farve to retire
« on: March 04, 2008, 09:37:06 AM »
According to Chris Mortenson on ESPN, Brett Farve is leaving football. Calling it a career. :Sad-Bye:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Re: Farve to retire
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
According to Chris Mortenson on ESPN, Brett Farve is leaving football. Calling it a career. :Sad-Bye:

I'll believe it when I see it.  The time has come though, he is too old to play that game...............well, without steroids or HGH anyway!   :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:55:25 AM »
is this with immediate effect or is he going to have a final season? amazing player who has done so much during it and a trully great guy. now it means his records stop for Peyton to chase down  :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 11:10:05 AM »
is this with immediate effect or is he going to have a final season? amazing player who has done so much during it and a trully great guy. now it means his records stop for Peyton to chase down  :)

According to Mortenson it's immediate. Most are speculating he wanted Moss. When the Packers didn't even try to get him and Moss returned to the Pats, the desire to continue to put the work in just faded. He says it's not about playing on Sunday. It's the work and preperation required to be ready to play on Sunday that he is tired of.
We don't see it, but these guys (especially the quarterbacks) are working 12 to 15 hours a day in practice, in working out, and in film rooms to be able to make it look easy on Sunday. Those that aren't willing to put that work in end up like Grossman. A joke.
Farve said he worked harder this season than he had ever worked, and I think overall it's just getting more difficult to keep up with the game. It's more complicated and more athletic than ever.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »
How do you know Grossman does not put in the work.   Maybe he just isnt that talented.   I think it is more the latter personally.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 12:15:26 PM »

According to Mortenson it's immediate. Most are speculating he wanted Moss. When the Packers didn't even try to get him and Moss returned to the Pats, the desire to continue to put the work in just faded. He says it's not about playing on Sunday. It's the work and preperation required to be ready to play on Sunday that he is tired of.
We don't see it, but these guys (especially the quarterbacks) are working 12 to 15 hours a day in practice, in working out, and in film rooms to be able to make it look easy on Sunday. Those that aren't willing to put that work in end up like Grossman. A joke.
Farve said he worked harder this season than he had ever worked, and I think overall it's just getting more difficult to keep up with the game. It's more complicated and more athletic than ever.

Thanks Dmas, can see why Moss going to the Packers would have allowed im to really go for it for one more year, but suppose when the desire finally burns out, and Favre's had it much longer than most the time comes to move on, as like you say those 14/15 hour days are the killer, not the 60 minutes on Sunday. I'd prefer to see him go out after having such a fantastic year just gone, leading the Packers so well, rather than not have the desire and eagerness next season and for that to show on the field. Smart move if he is finding it just too much work practicing each day, end on a high, as well as allowing the Packers to move on from him, and not to be forced to drop him if his form did take a downward spiral.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 02:44:12 PM »
How do you know Grossman does not put in the work.   Maybe he just isnt that talented.   I think it is more the latter personally.

After the last game of the season the year Chicago went to the Superbowl, and the Bears were beaten badly by the Packers, he said as much.
I'm not suggesting he doesn't work hard. He wouldn't be in his position if he didn't. But I doubt he works as hard as some of the other quarterbacks do. He relies more on his talent than he should.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 03:06:23 PM »
A few quotes from Brett Favre during his press conference at Lambeau Field just an hour ago

"I know I can play but I don't think I want to," a teary Favre said in a news conference at Lambeau Field two days after he announced his retirement. "It's been a great career for me, but it's over."

"As they say, all good things must come to an end. I look forward to whatever the future may hold for me."

"I promised I wouldn't get emotional," he said. But as the tears flowed, he added, "I've watched hundreds of players retire and you wonder what that would be like. You think you're prepared ..."

Favre thanked the Green Bay Packers for letting him play.

"I hope that with every penny they've spent on me, they know it was money well spent," he said. "It wasn't about the money or fame or records. I hear people talk about your accomplishments and things. It was never my accomplishments, it was our accomplishments."

"I'm going out on top," he said. "Believe me, I could care less what other people think. It's what I think, and I'm going out on top."

"I did it, but it got hard," he said. "I don't think it would get easier next year or the following year. It hasn't up until this point. It's only gotten tougher and something told me 'You know it's gotten too hard for you.' I could probably come back and do it. Suck it up. But what kind of a toll would that take on me, my family or my teammates? At some point it would affect one of those if not all of them. Maybe it has already. I don't know."

"I don't even want to think about next year," he said. "Will I watch games? I'm sure I will. Will I be involved? I always made the joke I'd be here for an honorary coin toss. Well, that time may come, so I may be back for something like that. But as far as giving advice, I don't think that will happen."

Now a question! Does anybody believe these 2 biggest Quarterback records (TDs and Passing yards) will be broken by Peyton Manning?
Favre leads the league with 442 touchdown passes, 61,655 yards passing and 160 career victories. He started 253 consecutive regular-season games, more than any other quarterback in history.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 05:40:30 PM »
I heard that Troy Aikman had some comments where he shed some light on how hard it would be for Brett to stay away from the game especially if he is offered a great deal with a good situation.......and harder to stay away as the season gets closer.  Troy spoke from experience but could also just be trying to stir up sports talk. 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 05:47:32 PM »
I heard that Troy Aikman had some comments where he shed some light on how hard it would be for Brett to stay away from the game especially if he is offered a great deal with a good situation.......and harder to stay away as the season gets closer.  Troy spoke from experience but could also just be trying to stir up sports talk. 

I think Aikman speaks from experience. He retired due to the many concussions he had experienced. I'm pretty sure the pull to play again was tough to ignore, but he simple couldn't play medically.
We will see, as the season approaches if Farve can stay away. If he can for a couple years, I'm guessing he's done. But he may just stay out one season, to recharge the batteries, then, give it another shot.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 05:52:53 PM »

I think Aikman speaks from experience. He retired due to the many concussions he had experienced. I'm pretty sure the pull to play again was tough to ignore, but he simple couldn't play medically.
We will see, as the season approaches if Farve can stay away. If he can for a couple years, I'm guessing he's done. But he may just stay out one season, to recharge the batteries, then, give it another shot.

Pretty much exactly what Troy Aikman had supposedly said.   He spoke from experience and knew first hand how hard leaving the game was.........especially due to injuries.