Instructional Tennis > Instructional Tennis

Bad line calls

(1/5) > >>

euroka1:
Several of us have noticed the large number of bad line calls this last week. It seems to be increasing with the speed of the game. Statistically, I suppose, they average out but they can be critical. Isn't it about time that we went high-tech in this era of fast infromation transfer?

Betsmoyo:
i agree 100% I really think they should. And this was an interesting i dea that my dad told me. He use to be a tennis coach at an academy so hes not just spouting off ideas. He thought they should get rid of the linesppl and let players make their own calls and if the other player or the ump wanna dispute it look at the shotspot.

MC ill Logic:

--- Quote from: "Betsmoyo" ---i agree 100% I really think they should. And this was an interesting i dea that my dad told me. He use to be a tennis coach at an academy so hes not just spouting off ideas. He thought they should get rid of the linesppl and let players make their own calls and if the other player or the ump wanna dispute it look at the shotspot.
--- End quote ---
I don't trust shot spot at all.  Others have pointed out that it's been wrong on several occasions.  So, basically, we have a machine that's about as accurate as a human.  What's the point?  

The letting the players call their own shots is not a bad idea IF they had a Mac Cam capable of providing an objective recall for every shot if ever one is disputed (at which point only ATP level events would be able to afford it...).  Because players will be cheating like crazy.  People hooked like crazy in high school and college tennis and there wasn't even money on the line.  Even decent people end up hooking.  The pressure gets to them or they accidentally make the wrong call and don't want to fess up.  If players called their own lines making bad calls would become an art form.

MC ill Logic:
Betsmoyo, how do you make your avatar so big (bigger than 80x80)???

Anonymous:
As long as Henin-hardene is around players should not be allowed to call their own lines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version