Author Topic: Cinema  (Read 44364 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Cinema
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2009, 04:13:41 PM »
L.A. flopped at the box office but well received by the critics. Got loads of Oscar noms too, but of course that garbage movie called Titanic took everything away from it. Any movie that has some kind of global recognition/appeal going on, no matter how corny they are, will get the Oscar as the best movie; that is, if they get an Oscar nom.

L.A is about the police corruption in LAPD post WWII so it's different than Goodfellas in that sense. I thought guys dig these sorts of movies if they are not gay, but I could be wrong. Even though I am female, I don't like chick flicks. The only reason I watch them from time to time is because my other female friends watch them a lot and I don't want to come off as a snob to them. I get teased enough.

We went to see P.S. I love You just last year and I made some comments about it and they totally flipped. I merely said that was a complete waste of two hours and $12.

lol

Next Stop Wonderland -- chick flick
Happy Accidents -- chick flick

I don't like chick flicks at all, but I did a search on Facebook and found that women liked these two movies vis-a-vis men to the tune of +3 to 1 to 10 to 1, respectively. But these two films have a lot to offer to all; in general, I steer clear of romance :barf:  and the like.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2009, 04:16:34 PM »
Quote from: Wikipedia
Critically acclaimed, it currently holds a 99% rating at Rotten Tomatoes with 73 out of 74 reviews positive, as well as an aggregated rating of 90% based on 28 reviews on Metacritic. It was nominated for nine Academy Awards and won two, Basinger for Best Actress in a Supporting Role and Hanson and Helgeland for Best Screenplay - Adapted.

No crap! That's always the first thing I check! I didn't bother with L.A. becasue I tried to watch it on HBO a couple of times. I'll catch it the next time around.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2009, 04:31:56 PM »
L.A. flopped at the box office but well received by the critics. Got loads of Oscar noms too, but of course that garbage movie called Titanic took everything away from it.
wrong, Kim won the oscar and also another oscar for best adapted screenplay.
Titanic only won 2 important things, picture and director with the infamous speech "feeling at the top of the world", dont want to mention Celine Dior, I prefer to remember her when Beck said her name because she has won 1 award,

I was speaking in terms of the Best Picture and the Best Director not the best supporting actress. I think everyone knows that Kim Basinger won that category, whereas I felt all the most important acting came from the three main characters in L.A. and not to mention, L.A. was far superior than Titanic. When you leave the theatre Kim's character is the last thing you want to remember, so who cares about that? I wanted to puke at Titanic. What a load of crap.

titanic is a "disney" picture and won because billions of dollars and people loved to cry watching that crap. watching the movie it was so pathetic that I was laughing all the time.
too bad the ship didnt arrive to America in the movie, that could have been at least a nice end for a horrible movie.
maybe the best thing about L.A are not the actors in a leading role, I love the actors in supporting roles. great movie. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:33:32 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2009, 08:37:36 PM »
L.A. flopped at the box office but well received by the critics. Got loads of Oscar noms too, but of course that garbage movie called Titanic took everything away from it. Any movie that has some kind of global recognition/appeal going on, no matter how corny they are, will get the Oscar as the best movie; that is, if they get an Oscar nom.

L.A is about the police corruption in LAPD post WWII so it's different than Goodfellas in that sense. I thought guys dig these sorts of movies if they are not gay, but I could be wrong. Even though I am female, I don't like chick flicks. The only reason I watch them from time to time is because my other female friends watch them a lot and I don't want to come off as a snob to them. I get teased enough.

We went to see P.S. I love You just last year and I made some comments about it and they totally flipped. I merely said that was a complete waste of two hours and $12.

LA Confidential is a fantastic gritty drama. Russell Crowe's coming out party, as well as Kevin Spacey. They had been seen before, but they really hadn't been SEEN before Confidential. Life in LA through the eyes of the police during the the days of Dragnet.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Critically acclaimed, it currently holds a 99% rating at Rotten Tomatoes with 73 out of 74 reviews positive, as well as an aggregated rating of 90% based on 28 reviews on Metacritic. It was nominated for nine Academy Awards and won two, Basinger for Best Actress in a Supporting Role and Hanson and Helgeland for Best Screenplay - Adapted.

Kavin Spacey was already well known (Se7en and The Usual Suspect both in 1995 and also, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil in the same year as L.A.). It's the two other Australian actors Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce who came out big. I don't think anyone knew them all that much before L.A. Ressell then followed Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind and Guy, Memento, The Count of Monet Cristo etc. I find Guy Pearce to be highly underrated and he's one of my favourite actors. Very low key to begin with. Fortunately, he has quite a few new movies lined up and good ones too. Anyway, personally I feel L.A. Confidential is the best cop movie ever.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2009, 08:46:46 PM »

lol

I don't like chick flicks at all, but I did a search on Facebook and found that women liked these two movies vis-a-vis men to the tune of +3 to 1 to 10 to 1, respectively. But these two films have a lot to offer to all; in general, I steer clear of romance :barf:  and the like.

You know, there are chick flicks then there are chick flicks. Not all of them are bad. In fact, some of them are quite good. It's the likes of P.S. I Love You that disturbs me the most. Anyway, I am not sure if you saw The Break-Up yet. I would like to think it's your kind of movie and most probably resembles one of your relationships. A lot of people didn't like it. I liked it very much because it was very close to the truth and quite funny in a very sad way.

Romance is good if done tastefully. I just don't want to see anything cheesy. The idea of romance is totally lost on western culture these days. But if you watch many of the old movies, you will see how nicely they were done. It's true that 50 to 60 percent of my favourite movies are from the 30s, 40s, 50s and the 60s. Even the 70s and the 80s had some really great movies. It's sad that romance has now become all about sex and what not.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »
Benjamin Button won alot of technical awards, like makeup and things like that.

Benjamin only won 3. I was hoping it would get the best supporting actree award.

Yeah, Taraji was excellent.

Taraji was excellent and so was Viola Davis in Doubt. Why they gave it to Penelope is beyond me. I mean, don't get me wrong. Personally, I think Penelope is an excellent actress. Whether I find her beautiful or not is entirely different than what I have to say about her performance in VCB. Both Taraji and Viola especially Taraji went out her way and portrayed something out of the ordinary. She had to play a role where she's a mother of this white old man who, in real life, is older than her. The role itself was complex and she delivered, we all know. Penelope played a role that was too tiny to begin with. Granted, sometimes tiny roles can be extremely powerful and can have a greater impact than the leading role, but in this case, it wasn't. More importantly, she didn't have to go out of her to play this role. She, in fact, slipped into it with too much ease. In other words, given her background, she fit right in. Not much acting or hard work required. I can't possibly credit her for that, I am sorry. I believe in fair game. Sometimes Oscar tends to do these sorts of bizarre things. It's more like as if they just want to get it over with.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2009, 09:14:17 PM »
L.A. flopped at the box office but well received by the critics. Got loads of Oscar noms too, but of course that garbage movie called Titanic took everything away from it.
wrong, Kim won the oscar and also another oscar for best adapted screenplay.
Titanic only won 2 important things, picture and director with the infamous speech "feeling at the top of the world", dont want to mention Celine Dior, I prefer to remember her when Beck said her name because she has won 1 award,

I was speaking in terms of the Best Picture and the Best Director not the best supporting actress. I think everyone knows that Kim Basinger won that category, whereas I felt all the most important acting came from the three main characters in L.A. and not to mention, L.A. was far superior than Titanic. When you leave the theatre Kim's character is the last thing you want to remember, so who cares about that? I wanted to puke at Titanic. What a load of crap.

titanic is a "disney" picture and won because billions of dollars and people loved to cry watching that crap. watching the movie it was so pathetic that I was laughing all the time.
too bad the ship didnt arrive to America in the movie, that could have been at least a nice end for a horrible movie.
maybe the best thing about L.A are not the actors in a leading role, I love the actors in supporting roles. great movie. 

I was forced to see Titanic believe it or not. A friend of mine dragged me into it and after the movie, I had to say nice things about it. What's worse, she was checking up on me the whole time to see, if I was moved by the movie. I disappointed her needless to say. What an awful experience, really.

The reason why I am not too big on Kim's performance in L.A is because all she had to do is doll up and utter a few lines here or there basically in the whole movie. She did it very well no doubt but there was not much to do to begin with. Any good actors could have pulled the same deal.

The main three characters weren't the lead roles, that's true. What happened though, all of them gave such powerful performance, the votes got split. In fact, there was a talk at this year's Oscar that, the only way Brad Pitt was going to win the Oscar for Curious Case, if Sean Penn and Mickey Rourke got their votes split, as they were the overwhelming favourites. Clearly that wasn't the case as Sean Penn came out on top. You can see what happens in such cases.

I am not sure if it's my internet connection or just he forum is slow. It's taking me forever to post. I am audi.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2009, 09:30:44 PM »
Kim played the perfect role for Hollywood, they know in Hollywood a lot about prostitutes, and they like to give awards to actress playing that role: Fonda in Klute, Sorvino in Mighty Aphrodite and more.

I dont care about the actress who wins the oscar in the last decade, it has become a beauty contest.

Sean Penn was a surprise maybe because he won his 2nd oscar.

I hope one day the academy will finally give the honorary oscar to this legend:
she is 84!!!! and she deserves the honor!!! why she is still forgotten?
In 1999, she was ranked as one of the 25 greatest female stars of all time by the American Film Institute.
The picture is not as big as it is unfair this wonderful actress and women has not the honorary oscar
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:07:33 AM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2009, 11:25:54 PM »
I just want to say, I've been waiting since early 2006 for this thread to take off (see post #2 on page 1). Seems we now have the right mix of people on T4U to keep this conversation going! This will be one of my favorite threads.

Thank UUUUUUUUUUU!!! everyone  :)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2009, 11:29:50 PM »

lol

You know, there are chick flicks then there are chick flicks. Not all of them are bad. In fact, some of them are quite good. It's the likes of P.S. I Love You that disturbs me the most. Anyway, I am not sure if you saw The Break-Up yet. I would like to think it's your kind of movie and most probably resembles one of your relationships. A lot of people didn't like it. I liked it very much because it was very close to the truth and quite funny in a very sad way.

Romance is good if done tastefully. I just don't want to see anything cheesy. The idea of romance is totally lost on western culture these days. But if you watch many of the old movies, you will see how nicely they were done. It's true that 50 to 60 percent of my favourite movies are from the 30s, 40s, 50s and the 60s. Even the 70s and the 80s had some really great movies. It's sad that romance has now become all about sex and what not.

I did see The Break Up, but found it unremarkable. I have no recollection. I like Vince Vaughn, otherwise, I wouldn't have seen it. I see a lot of familiar dynamics played out on screen. Nothing about The Break Up was remarkable.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2009, 12:43:12 PM »
The Break-Up is not remarkable because the name says it all. It's all about one particular break up. I went to see this one with a very low expectation, so it surpassed my expectation in that sense. It's just sad the way people break up and the extent they go to sometimes. I still feel it's a very good movie. Not outstanding but good enough to keep you engaged. I did not like the ending though.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2009, 11:22:08 PM »
I just saw Frost/Nixon. Very powerful. The wrong guy got nominated for best actor in a leading role and the other (Nixon/Langella) should have won for best supporting actor, because the film was about David Frost not Richard Nixon, after all. A masterful performance by Michael Sheen :applause:

Don't want to see Ben Button or The Reader, but I have seen the other three nominees. Here's how I rank them:
1. Frost/Nixon -- by a good margin
2. Milk -- not a great film, but better than the rest
3. Slumdog -- not sure what the lovefest was all about; another very good film, but not great and not even the best

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2009, 12:22:06 AM »

lol

That's because dudes can't live up the expectations set by the male leads. :)~
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:33:34 PM by BGT »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2009, 12:31:06 AM »
Kim played the perfect role for Hollywood, they know in Hollywood a lot about prostitutes, and they like to give awards to actress playing that role: Fonda in Klute, Sorvino in Mighty Aphrodite and more.

I dont care about the actress who wins the oscar in the last decade, it has become a beauty contest.

Sean Penn was a surprise maybe because he won his 2nd oscar.

I hope one day the academy will finally give the honorary oscar to this legend:
she is 84!!!! and she deserves the honor!!! why she is still forgotten?
In 1999, she was ranked as one of the 25 greatest female stars of all time by the American Film Institute.
The picture is not as big as it is unfair this wonderful actress and women has not the honorary oscar

That pic is Stone Cold!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2009, 01:13:54 AM »
Her skin! :lust:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2009, 01:22:14 AM »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2009, 06:30:01 AM »
Thelma & Louise:Ending Scene!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z88U915uq8[/youtube]

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2009, 07:42:09 AM »
Thelma & Louise:Ending Scene!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z88U915uq8[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z88U915uq8

I love this movie...great performances and this movie had real spirit...the two characters are such contrasts...a nice movie  :)

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2009, 08:03:20 AM »
Ghost, Whoopi Goldberg!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-uEOH00evc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaw9jdeJ420&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2009, 09:26:55 PM »

lol

I did see The Break Up, but found it unremarkable. I have no recollection. I like Vince Vaughn, otherwise, I wouldn't have seen it. I see a lot of familiar dynamics played out on screen. Nothing about The Break Up was remarkable.

VV?    How about Swingers!        And, High Fidelity to go with it!?    It doesn't get much better for me than these 2 movies.   ;-()