Author Topic: Singles or Doubles  (Read 3063 times)

Offline DropShotUser

• Tennis Pro
  • Let The Wind Blow to my Victory
Singles or Doubles
« on: March 20, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »
I would play Single becuz It give me space to do my own thing but lately i been playing double and i good at the net...so i still getting use to double
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 10:17:25 AM by dmastous »
<br /><br />The greatest is the one is perfect their style and their body<br /><br />I will Overcome my Limit

Offline gususo

• New Poster
    • Oversize Racquet
Re: Single or Double
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 07:03:38 AM »
For a lot of players it is down to personal preference.

To be a good tennis coach you have to be able to do both, and the pro players can hit great shots either way. It's just down to you - what do you like the most? This page might help you make your mind up:- newbielink:http://www.davidkemptennisdkt.com/coaching/double-or-single-handed-backhand.html [nonactive]
newbielink:http://tennisoversize.com [nonactive]

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 07:12:29 AM »

To be a good tennis coach you have to be able to do both, and the pro players can hit great shots either way. It's just down to you - what do you like the most? This page might help you make your mind up:- http://www.davidkemptennisdkt.com/coaching/double-or-single-handed-backhand.html

I think he was talking about singles matches or doubles matches. But welcome to the forums!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 07:42:49 AM »
Welcome to the forums gususo!

I like doubles better but I am naturally better at singles.  My anticipation in singles is far better, but then again it is what I had played for many years before I made the switch to doubles due to injury, lack of interest with the USTA, etc.  I could play 4.5 at both singles or doubles though, so it makes me wonder if I am really that much better at singles.  My doubles game has come a log way.  Helps that I played serve and volley in singles for sure.  But even still, the first volley in dubs is far different.  It all is.

I am enjoying doubles big time right now, especially when I get in the groove with one partner.  It was VIC, now it is OSU.  It makes a huge difference for me.  With a partner like one of them I always feel like there is a chance to win no matter what the score.

I am voting dubs!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 10:16:28 AM »
I should be good at singles. I have a big forhand and decent backhand. But I am terrible at singles. Doubles has been my game for a long time.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 10:18:07 AM »

To be a good tennis coach you have to be able to do both, and the pro players can hit great shots either way. It's just down to you - what do you like the most? This page might help you make your mind up:- http://www.davidkemptennisdkt.com/coaching/double-or-single-handed-backhand.html

I think he was talking about singles matches or doubles matches. But welcome to the forums!!!

I fixed the title so it's more clear.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Re: Singles or Doubles
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 04:55:13 PM »
during the summer i play singles 4 times a week.  i play doubles 4 times a year (if that).  nuff said
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline mypasswordstrength

• Tennis Player
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 08:39:11 AM »
Single, for space reason, and not to mention that in single sometimes i can abuse my opponents with dropshots  :)).

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 04:42:02 PM »
Single, for space reason, and not to mention that in single sometimes i can abuse my opponents with dropshots  :)).

Shoot, the drop-shot is my fave shot and I am almost exclusively dubs only.  Drop-volley that is!   ;-()

Offline SeVen

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 04:54:11 PM »
I don't like doubles... When I make a mistake I always feel like my partner hates me because of it. But although i'm really bad at the net my partner usually is good at the net and when he's at the net and a ball passes him, I'm always there to recover the point and it's usually a a winner from moi :))
I love Serena. Venus, Davenport,Seles

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 04:59:29 PM »
That is all part of the interesting dynamics of dubs............I say do your best, have fun, and your partner will be fine..........if not, then he/she has issues to work out. 

Offline Shonoby

• Tennis Player
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 09:14:26 PM »
Singles is my thing, doubles is not my thing; i try to never play doubles( just personal preference and my styles is more suited to singles ).
If you like doubles by all means go ahead and play it, but remember that some peoples style are more suited to doubles( or singles ). For example, if your tall you would be better at doubles( maybe ) because of the extra reach versus a short person. But you could always change that with hard work.
Dream Racquet:
Wilson K Factor KSix-One X
Hybrid;
   Main - Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16 String ( 60 lbs )
   Crosses - Head ETS 17 String( 58 lbs )

Offline HighDesertTennis

• Tennis Player
    • HighdesertTennis
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 10:26:42 AM »
Doubles, at the Club level, pays!!  Singles is difficult, $$, wise to justify other than FUN!  Doubles!!   All kinds!!   Dan

Offline Monky

• Tennis God
  • But...i'm wearing my Nike's
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »
I have no problem playing either. I prefer playing singles because I get more of a sweat running around the court and taking all the shots, but I've heard it from many people that playing Dubs improves your singles game because you get to work on the angles and placements of your strokes and volleys since there is so much more net play. It's been working for me so I try to make room for a couple Dubs matches when I'm not playing singles. 
:)~

Offline Shonoby

• Tennis Player
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 07:59:35 PM »
I have no problem playing either. I prefer playing singles because I get more of a sweat running around the court and taking all the shots, but I've heard it from many people that playing Dubs improves your singles game because you get to work on the angles and placements of your strokes and volleys since there is so much more net play. It's been working for me so I try to make room for a couple Dubs matches when I'm not playing singles. 
Exactly, doubles is a great way to get started in tennis( well at least my coach always tells me ) and understand the strategy behind it as well. I guess i just can't get a rhythm with anyone else, i change the pace a lot and i usually play to fool my opponent. Like i say the best way to fool your opponent is to fool yourself, sometimes by mistake i might hit the ball somewhere i didn't want it but it ends up winning me the point lol. Yea i really dislike doubles.
Dream Racquet:
Wilson K Factor KSix-One X
Hybrid;
   Main - Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16 String ( 60 lbs )
   Crosses - Head ETS 17 String( 58 lbs )