Author Topic: The Best Tennis Style  (Read 3546 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Re: The Best Tennis Style
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 06:51:56 PM »
best in terms of what? best in terms of success rate, at the professional level it's clearly no longer serve and volley. The all court game seems best now. at the non-professional level best tennis for success is whatever each person feels like perfecting, s&v players,  baseliners, everyone can make thier tennis "best" for success at lower levels if they transcend the norm.

best in terms of style? again depends on choice. I am much more of a fan of variety and speed. I like people who can hit and play different kinds of tennis and mix it up and are quick around court and most importantly smart.

That counts me out.... ..-)

you mean out of my style points tennis book? That's just my ideal, it doesn't take much to impress me though so no it doesn't count you out  :)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 07:04:37 PM »
best in terms of what? best in terms of success rate, at the professional level it's clearly no longer serve and volley. The all court game seems best now. at the non-professional level best tennis for success is whatever each person feels like perfecting, s&v players,  baseliners, everyone can make thier tennis "best" for success at lower levels if they transcend the norm.

best in terms of style? again depends on choice. I am much more of a fan of variety and speed. I like people who can hit and play different kinds of tennis and mix it up and are quick around court and most importantly smart.

you mean out of my style points tennis book? That's just my ideal, it doesn't take much to impress me though so no it doesn't count you out  :)

The speed part is definitely a weakness these days.  ;-()

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 02:05:19 AM »

And the 'smart' part is even more of an issue  :)~

You know I'm only messing Dmas
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 08:50:07 AM »

But it's actually valid as well. I've played singles so rarely these past 15 years or so, I am clueless during a match. I'm very instinctual in doubles and am usually where I need to be doing what I should be doing, but in singles, I'm lost.
I can talk about it, I can think about before and after, but when it comes to doing it, well, I don't at this point. So the smart part is valid.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 08:50:55 AM by dmastous »

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 09:00:39 AM »

But it's actually valid as well. I've played singles so rarely these past 15 years or so, I am clueless during a match. I'm very instinctual in doubles and am usually where I need to be doing what I should be doing, but in singles, I'm lost.
I can talk about it, I can think about before and after, but when it comes to doing it, well, I don't at this point. So the smart part is valid.

Well I pulled that one off then when I didn't expect too  ;-() Certainly after 15 years of playing very little singles and mainly just doubles it would become the case and a pretty big issue. Sounds as though you think it out perfectly off the court but then on the court the insticts and confidence in many ways just isn't there. Sounds as though on the doubles court you'll make up for that though. I'd love to see how all you guys play and am hopeful that in the near future I'll be able to  :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!