Author Topic: Advice for new racket  (Read 2965 times)

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
Advice for new racket
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:06:04 AM »
Hi, I have been playing tennis for fun for years and am trying to find a racket that will both maximize my current ability and help me improve. I don't have an official rating, but from reading the descriptions I'd say I'm probably a 3.5. I play mostly from the baseline (because I am more comfortable there), but I am trying to learn to come to net effectively and more often. I do not yet use a lot of spin on my shots and tend to be more of a finesse player as opposed to power. The rackets that I've looked at the most are the Wilson K 4 or 5. I'm leaning toward the K5 98 to get more control and hopefully have less problems with lateral epicondylitis. I would greatly appreciate any advice that people are willing to give!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Re: Advice for new racket
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 09:41:57 AM »
Welcome here!   We get these questions often and there are quite a few on here that can throw some good advice.   I am thinking that things like:  how big of a swing do you take, what weight of racquet feels best for playing for you would be very important.  Demoing racquets is the best way.  This way people can recommend what sticks you should try and then you can hit with them to see which ones you like best..........before committing to buying them!   

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 08:24:47 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure you all get tired of these posts :), but I really appreciate the input!  I don't take a very hard swing at the ball, although this has more to do with the fact that I miss hit many more balls when I swing hard.  I would guess that I'd prefer a racket weight around 10 to 11, but I honestly haven't experimented with this yet.  I guess I really just want some help focusing my research and eventual demoing.  I can see benefits to getting a performance racket and I can see benefits to getting a players racket, but I'm not really sure which would be best for my level of ability and style of play, or if I should get a Tweener (which I guess I'm leaning towards).

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 10:11:19 AM »
We are not tired of these posts!   Don't be silly!   You need Dmasts' advice, he should have seen this by now.   You could PM him. 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 10:48:34 AM »
Well, to answer your question you will need to answer some of mine.  ;-()
First, what racquet do you currently use, and what are your likes and dislikes about it (also what did you like about the Wilsons?). Is it comfortable to you? Do you get enough power, and want control or the other way around.
Second, what do you want to get out a new frame? That would sort of go along with the first, but it's an important distinction.
There is another variable that you may not have thought of, and that is your string. What kind of string do you currently use, and how long has it been in your racquet? If you are unhappy with the power in your racquet, and you've had the same string in it for 6 months or a year, or if it's the string that came with the racquet, it's likely that a change of string could bring that frame to life.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 02:55:55 PM »
Currently I have a Wilson Hyperhammer XP.  The only specifications I know on it is that it has a 115 square inch racket head.  I couldn't even find it on http://www.tennisracquets.com.  So, I'm obviously trying to greatly upgrade my racket and take tennis far more seriously.  I'm happy with the power production from the Hyperhammer.  In fact I think that I could get far more power out of it if I didn't hold my swing down to control the ball better.  At the same time my form and footwork are not good enough yet to produce adequate power with a player racket.  That's what I guess I want out of my new frame: to be able to control the ball well enough (and have a large enough "sweet spot") to be able to take a healthier swing and produce more power on my own.

As far as string up until now I've always used pre-strung rackets.  I was planning on having my new racket strung with higher end nylon in the middle of the frame's recommended tension range.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »
Normally, given what what you are looking for, I would recommend you go for tighter string. At the upper ranges of the racquet's limits. I would also try some less elastic string if that doesn't get you where you want to be.
But what you've got there is a Weezer Special. A senior citizen doubles racquet. Quite possibly the worst racquet you could have chosen if you want to stay on the baseline.
So, the store is open, go get yourself a racquet. Anything will be better for what you want than that one. Stay in the 95-100 range if you can. Also, for baseliners I think heavier frames are better than lighter ones. It does depend on what kind of baseliner you are.
Look at some of the Prince Speedport frames. The O3 Hybrid tour is pretty close to the overall feel of the Wilson Hyper Hammer. Also the Speedport Black which is a larger headsize. The Head MicroGel Prestige Mid will have a similar feel as well. These are all frames that have about the same flex and swingweight as your current racquet, but are heavier players racquets with smaller head sizes.
Now, if you aren't fond of the swingweight or flex of your Hyper Hammer, You can pretty much pick up any midsized frame and it would be better for groundstroking than the one you have.
I'm not sure if someone in this thread mentioned it, but demoing racquets is your best bet. If there is a tennis shop nearby, see if they have a demo program. Typically they let you take 2 or 3 racquets for 3 days and charge you $15 to try them out. Pick at least one that's heavier, one that's lighter and see how they feel. When it comes to buying most will take the demo cost off the price of the racquet if you choose one you've demoed. If you can't find a store nearby take a look at Tennis Warehouse's demo program. They will send you 3 racquets to try at a time. Mail back them back and try a few more.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 06:04:13 PM »
BTW here are the spec for what I think is your racquet:

Wilson Hyper Hammer 2.7
length 27.75
weight 270.4
Balance 38.75
Swingweight 343
Headsize 115
Flex 78 

An ambition fulfilled

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 06:28:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  That was very helpful.  Yeah, my current racket isn't exactly up to par, but I was in medical school when I bought it, so funds were tight  :).

Offline CTDeuce

• Tennis Addict
    • My Training
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 01:02:21 PM »
I think Dmast gives killer advice.

If you're going to demo (which is your best option), try out the Head MicroGEL Extreme Pro.  Based on what you've said and what you need from a racquet...i think you'll enjoy it.
Millenium Sport Technologies Representative
www.millenniumsport.net
------------
x2 Head Liquidmetal Radical @ 60lbs w/ Luxillon ALU power rough
------------

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 10:55:32 PM »
Alright, thanks.  Judging from your signature I'd say you've enjoyed yours!  :)

If you're going to demo (which is your best option), try out the Head MicroGEL Extreme Pro.  Based on what you've said and what you need from a racquet...i think you'll enjoy it.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 11:09:12 PM »

The Extreme Pro is a pretty heavy racquet. But that's to the good as more mass in the racquet means it moves through the ball better than a lighter racquet. It's wide string patter will give you spin, but since it's pretty heafty (335 gm) it's not going to be a racquet you can whip through to get spin.
It's very much different from what you are using now. Definitely a "player's racquet".
But it's a good steady groundstroking machine, I imagine (going from it's specs).
I will always add that changing racquets and string are no substitue for good form. The one thing about players racquets is they will expose your weaknesses. If you don't have good form they will be very unfriendly indeed.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 11:15:16 PM »
Yep, I definitely need to get some lessons to improve my form.  I just found the tennis4you site (i guess as opposed to the forums which I found first), so I'll be boning up on tips there!

I don't know why, but I've always liked Wilson rackets the best.  The one that appeals to me most through my research is the K5.  Has pretty much the same swing weight as my current racket.  I know it will give me better control.  I would assume that I'd even get more power out of it compared to my hyperhammer.  I'll demo it and compare to a few others to make sure.

The Extreme Pro is a pretty heavy racquet. But that's to the good as more mass in the racquet means it moves through the ball better than a lighter racquet. It's wide string patter will give you spin, but since it's pretty heafty (335 gm) it's not going to be a racquet you can whip through to get spin.
It's very much different from what you are using now. Definitely a "player's racquet".
But it's a good steady groundstroking machine, I imagine (going from it's specs).
I will always add that changing racquets and string are no substitue for good form. The one thing about players racquets is they will expose your weaknesses. If you don't have good form they will be very unfriendly indeed.

Offline CTDeuce

• Tennis Addict
    • My Training
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 11:49:46 PM »
Good luck no matter what you choose!  One reason I suggested the Extreme was because of the reason that it is an unfriendly racquet if your form is off base.  Anything that I was doing slightly wrong when I started using it...i've realized..and since changed.  It made a dramatic improvement to my game going from a babolat pure drive plus cortex.  Specs seem similar...but they play so completely different it's crazy.

Listen to Dmast before you listen to me, haha...he knows a lot about this stuff.  I just know what works for me...and given what you said earlier, I figured it was similar to what you'd be looking for. 
Millenium Sport Technologies Representative
www.millenniumsport.net
------------
x2 Head Liquidmetal Radical @ 60lbs w/ Luxillon ALU power rough
------------

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 11:01:50 AM »
Sounds good.  I'll add it to my research list.  :)

Good luck no matter what you choose!  One reason I suggested the Extreme was because of the reason that it is an unfriendly racquet if your form is off base.  Anything that I was doing slightly wrong when I started using it...i've realized..and since changed.  It made a dramatic improvement to my game going from a babolat pure drive plus cortex.  Specs seem similar...but they play so completely different it's crazy.

Listen to Dmast before you listen to me, haha...he knows a lot about this stuff.  I just know what works for me...and given what you said earlier, I figured it was similar to what you'd be looking for. 

Offline DropShotUser

• Tennis Pro
  • Let The Wind Blow to my Victory
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 11:41:14 AM »
I looking for a yonex racket that give me speed and power to the ball and also light
<br /><br />The greatest is the one is perfect their style and their body<br /><br />I will Overcome my Limit

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 03:21:56 PM »
I looking for a yonex racket that give me speed and power to the ball and also light

Don't know why you are stuck on Yonex. Babblelot makes some nice light racquets like the Drive z-Lite. Wilson has some good light frames as well. In fact all the companies have light models.

If you really want to stick with Yonex here are some of their light offerings:
Yonex RQS 22 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCYONEX-RQS22.html)
Yonex RQS 11 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCYONEX-RQS11.html)
Yonex RQ iS 2 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCYONEX-RQIS2T.html)

An ambition fulfilled

Offline DropShotUser

• Tennis Pro
  • Let The Wind Blow to my Victory
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 05:01:20 PM »
alright thank
<br /><br />The greatest is the one is perfect their style and their body<br /><br />I will Overcome my Limit