Author Topic: The Boat Race  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: The Boat Race
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 12:20:09 PM »
I dont give a **** to be honest  :lmao: but I'll say Cambridge because my brother is going there next year for university.

Good on you s0mil, that makes 3 against Chris, I think our post counts put together might just get the better of him.

Only just :-o

You said what I was going to do Kick  :)) anyway I'll just let the 3 of you do your teaming up and have your moments and then let you have it all when Oxford defeat your Cambridge  :)~

Cambridge won it last year and have most times, so hopefully they keep it up. What do the bookies say?

Betfair have Oxford at 1.36, Cambridge at 3.65  :(

They best prove the bookies right then and get this job done for me  :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Looks like Oxford will win this time.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 12:36:44 PM »
Looks like the Chris Machine lives on and rules once more!  :)>>>> :yahoo: :cheer:

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 12:39:32 PM »
Yep, as with everything, CT has beaten the rest of the crew by quite some margin.

Lots of posts while i was gone.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 12:45:55 PM »
Yep, as with everything, CT has beaten the rest of the crew by quite some margin.

At least you've got something out of it Murrayfan- more experience of finishing on the wrong side against me  :)~ Winnings just a habit you see  ;-()

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 12:46:53 PM »

At least you've got something out of it Murrayfan- more experience of finishing on the wrong side against me  :)~ Winnings just a habit you see  ;-()

Maybe I should start rooting for same things as you. What other things are there?

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 12:50:32 PM »

Maybe I should start rooting for same things as you. What other things are there?

In terms of sports?
Well Football and United isn't going to work for you
We've got Maria in tennis- any chance at all? failing that you could follow my backup players of Elena V and Maria K?
Cricket- its Lancashire and England
Failing that the only other things I could get you on my side with is NFL- The Indianaplois Colts or Elite League Speedway and the Poole Pirates

So anything there that takes your fancy Murrayfan?

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2008, 12:51:37 PM »

In terms of sports?
We've got Maria in tennis- any chance at all? failing that you could follow my backup players of Elena V and Maria K?
Failing that the only other things I could get you on my side with is NFL- The Indianaplois Colts or Elite League Speedway and the Poole Pirates

Well in tennis I prefer Ivanovic, but Kirilenko is up there. I dont really follow cricket, and dont have a clue about NFL.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 12:53:53 PM »

In terms of sports?

Well in tennis I prefer Ivanovic, but Kirilenko is up there. I dont really follow cricket, and dont have a clue about NFL.

Right so we can get you in with Maria K then, any chance of liking cricket? With the NFL my attitude just 2 or so years ago was the same as yours- I said with all the stopages I'd never like it but somebody from this board got me into it and following their team and now I love the sport and undestand and know just about everything with it  :)

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 12:57:26 PM »

In terms of sports?

Right so we can get you in with Maria K then, any chance of liking cricket? With the NFL my attitude just 2 or so years ago was the same as yours- I said with all the stopages I'd never like it but somebody from this board got me into it and following their team and now I love the sport and undestand and know just about everything with it  :)

Nah, crickets not my thing.

Was watchin some good cycling today though.

I dont follow club rugby, and in golf dont mind some English players like Westwood but prefer Montgomery.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 12:59:34 PM »

In terms of sports?

Nah, crickets not my thing.

Was watchin some good cycling today though.

I dont follow club rugby, and in golf dont mind some English players like Westwood but prefer Montgomery.

Think we're going to struggle to get you on my side with anything then unfortunately as I don't like cycling and don't really follow golf or rugby too closely- especially with any passion and worry/excitement for a team.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2008, 01:01:37 PM »
oxford, slowest winning time since 1947!!!!  :( 20'52''
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2008, 01:03:51 PM »

Probably to do with weather, who were you rooting for?

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2008, 01:07:48 PM »

Yeah weather wasn't good ot was wet and very rough on the Thames so thats why.
Come on Conchita are you against me as well?

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2008, 01:20:46 PM »

Yeah weather wasn't good ot was wet and very rough on the Thames so thats why.
Come on Conchita are you against me as well?

weather was horrible, windy and cloudy, 8ºC-13ºC...typical english spring....

The University of Oxford traces its roots back to at least the end of the 11th century, although the exact date of foundation remains unclear. After a dispute between students and townsfolk broke out in 1209, some of the academics at Oxford fled north-east to the town of Cambridge, where the University of Cambridge was founded. The two universities have since had a long history of competition with each other
There are many famous Oxonians, as alumni of the University are known:

25 British Prime Ministers have attended Oxford (including Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair).
At least 25 other international leaders have been educated at Oxford. This number includes King Harald V of Norway, King Abdullah II of Jordan, three Prime Ministers of Australia (John Gorton, Malcolm Fraser and Bob Hawke) two Prime Ministers of India (Manmohan Singh and Indira Gandhi) Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto and Benazir Bhutto of Pakistan, Norman Washington Manley (Chief Minister of Jamaica), and Bill Clinton, the first American President to attend Oxford. The Burmese democracy activist and Nobel Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi was a student of St Hugh's College. Including Aung San Suu Kyi, 47 Nobel prize winners have studied or taught at Oxford.

Oxford has also produced at least 12 saints and 20 Archbishops of Canterbury, including the current incumbent Rowan Williams (who studied at Wadham College and was later a Canon Professor at Christ Church. At least nine Olympic medal winners have academic connections with the university, including Sir Matthew Pinsent, quadruple gold medallist rower. T. E. Lawrence was a student at Jesus College, while other illustrious members have ranged from the explorer, courtier, and man of letters Sir Walter Raleigh (who attended Oriel College, though left without taking a degree) to the media magnate Rupert Murdoch. The founder of Methodism, John Wesley, studied at Christ Church and was elected a fellow of Lincoln College.

Amongst the long list of writers associated with Oxford are Evelyn Waugh, Lewis Carroll, Aldous Huxley, Oscar Wilde,  C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, Graham Greene.

Some contemporary scientists include Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins and Nobel prize-winner Anthony James Leggett, and Tim Berners-Lee, co-inventor of the World Wide Web.

Actors Hugh Grant, Dudley Moore were undergraduates at the University, as were Oscar winner film-maker Ken Loach.
Sports. Imran Khan also studied at Oxford.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 01:26:27 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2008, 01:24:35 PM »
So I'm guessing you support Cambridge?

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2008, 01:25:11 PM »
So you were supporting Oxford then Conchita?

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2008, 01:36:33 PM »
The University of Cambridge (often Cambridge University), located in Cambridge, England, is the second-oldest university in the English-speaking world and has a reputation as one of the most prestigious universities in the world.

The University grew out of an association of scholars in the city of Cambridge that was formed, early records suggest, in 1209 by scholars leaving Oxford after a dispute with local townsfolk there.

The universities of Oxford and Cambridge are often jointly referred to as Oxbridge. In addition to cultural and practical associations as a historic part of English society, the two universities also have a long history of rivalry with each other.

Cantabrigian is the formal adjective meaning "of Cambridge University" which is also used as a term for the university's members (abbreviated as Cantab. in post-nominal letters for alumni).

One famous myth relates to Queens’ College’s so-called Mathematical Bridge. Supposedly constructed by Sir Isaac Newton, it reportedly held itself together without any bolts or screws. Legend has it inquisitive students took it apart and were then unable to reassemble it without bolts. However, the bridge was erected 22 years after Newton’s death. This myth may have arisen from the fact that earlier versions of the bridge used iron pins and screws at the joints, whereas the current bridge uses more visible nuts and bolts.

Another famous myth involves Clare Bridge, currently the oldest bridge, which is attached to Clare College. Spherical stone ornaments adorn this bridge. One of these has a quarter sphere wedge removed from the back. This is a feature pointed out on almost all tours over the bridge. Various myths are associated with this sphere. See Cambridge legends

lists of academics:

Charles Babbage
Sir Francis Bacon
Lord Byron
James Chadwick
Charles, Prince of Wales
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Oliver Cromwell
Charles Darwin
Rosalind Franklin
Stephen Hawking
Allama Mohammad Iqbal 
Kim Dae-Jung
Vladimir Nabokov
Jawaharlal Nehru
Isaac Newton
Manmohan Singh

----------------------

Cambridge is more beautiful, but Oxford is perhaps a better university.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 01:37:27 PM by conchita »

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2008, 02:00:47 PM »
So which one do you prefer?

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2008, 02:01:26 PM »
So which one do you prefer?

I think Conchita is sitting on the fence with regards to this one  :)