Author Topic: Canseco's new book  (Read 2863 times)

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Canseco's new book
« on: April 02, 2008, 09:33:01 AM »
Canseco is on the publicity trail for his new book "Vindicated" coming out.... sometime.
He's as difficult and irrasible and annoy as he was as he was pumping his first book about steroids.
I remember listening to a local radion program here out of Boston. There is a local TV sports guy named Steve Burton who is good friends with Canseco (who played for the Red Sox at the end of his career) and is a sometimes guest on the afternoon program (the Big Show). Canseco, who was starting try and get some pub for his first book was a guest on the show for a segment with Burton, the host and co-host (Glen Ordway & Pete Sheppard) and a baseball writer of note, Steve Buckley. The interview was one of the most surreal moments I've heard on radio. Canseco was throws out teases and Buckley, Ordway and Sheppard were trying to get more info, and Canseco just kept saying "you'll have to read my book when it comes out". After about 3 or 4 minutes of this there was a pause, and then they started laughing in frustration because they just couldn't crack the shell. Canseco hinted at big allegations, and startling evidence, and when pressed for what that was supposed to mean he just said "get my book in September".
Burton was on a few months later (after the September publication date was missed) and Canseco again appeared, apparently expected to reveal a bit more, and stonewalled them yet again.
He's back at it again. He's on the stump for his new book, and he's just as annoying as he was then. Only now he's got the ears of the world. Now he's after Alex Rodriguez, while giving support to Clemons.
Who knows where it goes, but Canseco is just an cloying, annoying, pathetic human being.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Re: Canseco's new book
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 02:07:48 PM »
I agree, and yet you started a thread about him!   ..-)   It will be a success though if everyone comes here and rips him!   :whistle:

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:10:26 PM »
I'll always remember balls bouncing off his head and going for home runs, and trying to pitch and tearing his arm up!  Kind of a shame that a gifted athlete (well, with steroids who knows) turned out to be a freak show.

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 03:21:28 PM »
I'll always remember balls bouncing off his head and going for home runs, and trying to pitch and tearing his arm up!  Kind of a shame that a gifted athlete (well, with steroids who knows) turned out to be a freak show.

He's said himself that without steroids he would have never made the major leagues. But then that's a twisted comment in itself. I succeeded with it, but don't do it. :Confused:

I agree, and yet you started a thread about him!   ..-)   It will be a success though if everyone comes here and rips him!   :whistle:

Rip away! :whip:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 03:27:10 PM »
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23817406/

Ran across this article this AM.  He certainly doesn't exhibit much sense.  "I'm writing a book to bring down this player.  Oh yeah, he cheated with my wife."  Why would anybody believe his steroid allegations when he just told the world that he has the best reason possible to head hunt Rodriguez.

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »

Ran across this article this AM.  He certainly doesn't exhibit much sense.  "I'm writing a book to bring down this player.  Oh yeah, he cheated with my wife."  Why would anybody believe his steroid allegations when he just told the world that he has the best reason possible to head hunt Rodriguez.

Add to that the allegations that Polanko of the Tigers said Canseco told him he would keep Poalnko out of his first book if he financed some deal Canseco was working on. Polanko didn't and Canseco did.
He's clearly without scruples. He's dirty and he doesn't seem to mind showing it.
But so is MLB, and that's the ultimate point.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 03:58:09 PM »
I'm afraid all sports may be.  As long as there are winners and losers, there will be people willing to do anything to be "winners."

Add to that the allegations that Polanko of the Tigers said Canseco told him he would keep Poalnko out of his first book if he financed some deal Canseco was working on. Polanko didn't and Canseco did.
He's clearly without scruples. He's dirty and he doesn't seem to mind showing it.

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 04:06:16 PM »
The whole 'if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying' mentality has really made pro sports ugly. It used to be you played to win, now you play to make cash, and winning means you get more cash.
Not to say that people didn't cheat when it was just playing to win, but now there are more inducement$ to cheat.

I'm afraid all sports may be.  As long as there are winners and losers, there will be people willing to do anything to be "winners."

An ambition fulfilled

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 04:06:57 PM »
Exactly.

The whole 'if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying' mentality has really made pro sports ugly. It used to be you played to win, now you play to make cash, and winning means you get more cash.
Not to say that people didn't cheat when it was just playing to win, but now there are more inducement$ to cheat.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 10:20:47 PM »

Don't remind me.  He was playing for Texas at the time... :\

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 10:42:26 PM »
haha, I think he made the rounds of the junior circuit!  I didn't realize that he played for the Rangers though.

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 11:15:05 PM »
He was traded from Oakland to Texas for Ruben (the Village Idiot) Sierra in 1992.

haha, I think he made the rounds of the junior circuit!  I didn't realize that he played for the Rangers though.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 09:34:15 AM »
He was traded from Oakland to Texas for Ruben (the Village Idiot) Sierra in 1992.
Wasn't Sierra the one that claimed that he got to big from lifting weights( ;-()) to be good at baseball? 

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 10:53:38 PM »

Hey, I was never a fan of either one but my favorite didn't pan out either... (Juan Gonzalez).... the Rangers are just a hard team to root for (and I use to be a Texas Ranger's Women's Club member!).... :scared:

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 11:16:03 PM »
Oh, but Juan Gonzalez had some awesome seasons for the Rangers.  I think he won a couple MVP's for you guys.  400 HR's 1400 RBI's .295 BA.  Those are fantastic numbers.  Granted they could have been much better if he'd been healthy in his later years.  And of course in today's game the great asterisk of steroids looms over everybody.  Seems like I remember hearing he was in camp for somebody this spring or at least was trying to get back in baseball "shape."

Hey, I was never a fan of either one but my favorite didn't pan out either... (Juan Gonzalez).... the Rangers are just a hard team to root for (and I use to be a Texas Ranger's Women's Club member!).... :scared:

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 11:29:19 PM »
Juan Gone is just that. Gone.

Oh, but Juan Gonzalez had some awesome seasons for the Rangers.  I think he won a couple MVP's for you guys.  400 HR's 1400 RBI's .295 BA.  Those are fantastic numbers.  Granted they could have been much better if he'd been healthy in his later years.  And of course in today's game the great asterisk of steroids looms over everybody.  Seems like I remember hearing he was in camp for somebody this spring or at least was trying to get back in baseball "shape."

An ambition fulfilled

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 11:41:32 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=3253943

Haha, but he was trying!  He's not on their current roster, so I guess he didn't make the team.

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 06:42:21 PM »
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view.bg?articleid=1084946&srvc=sports&position=0

I mentioned that prior to his first book he appeared on a radio show with among others this columnist (Steve Buckley).

Quote from: Steve Buckley
Memo to Jose Canseco: If you’re going to attach your name to yet another book about the use of performance-enhancing drugs in baseball, your credibility hinges on your willingness to answer tough questions about what you’ve written.

But Canseco, acting more like a petulant 9-year-old than a grown man, would rather run away and cry than stand behind his own product.

And we aren’t talking about an isolated incident. Having already admitted to hanging up on two other radio interviewers this week, Canseco yesterday appeared on WEEI’s “The Big Show” with host Glenn Ordway, Pete Sheppard, WBZ’s Steve Burton and myself.

Guess what? As soon as a tough question was presented to Canseco, the big fella hitched up his diaper and had himself a good cry.

In other words, he hung up. Again.

Some background is in order. In his latest tome, “Vindicated,” Canseco cleverly hints that Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez may be a steroids user. Now Canseco doesn’t come right out and announce that A-Rod’s body is juiced up. Instead, as he repeated on the show yesterday, Canseco says he introduced A-Rod to “a known steroids dealer.”

And what is the name of that known steroids dealer? For the time being, Canseco won’t say.

His closing is spotless:

Canseco wants you to believe he is some kind of savior of baseball, that he is a well-intentioned whistle-blower who is trying to clean up the game he loves so very much.cw2

In his first book, “Juiced,” he suggested that a whole lot of baseball players were on the juice. Now that the Mitchell Report is out, Canseco feels . . . vindicated. Hence the title of the book. But while Canseco very much wants you to purchase his book, he apparently does not want you to read it.

Because if you do, you’ll have questions. And if you have questions, Canseco will crawl under a bed and pout.

It’s the same old Jose: Pretty good on offense, but rather pathetic when it comes to defense.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline DrJ105

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 07:32:20 PM »
HaHa!! Priceless! "It’s the same old Jose: Pretty good on offense, but rather pathetic when it comes to defense."  Again, balls bouncing off his head :rofl_2:.  It was just hilarious how his eyes squinted shut so tightly.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view.bg?articleid=1084946&srvc=sports&position=0

I mentioned that prior to his first book he appeared on a radio show with among others this columnist (Steve Buckley).

Memo to Jose Canseco: If you’re going to attach your name to yet another book about the use of performance-enhancing drugs in baseball, your credibility hinges on your willingness to answer tough questions about what you’ve written.

But Canseco, acting more like a petulant 9-year-old than a grown man, would rather run away and cry than stand behind his own product.

And we aren’t talking about an isolated incident. Having already admitted to hanging up on two other radio interviewers this week, Canseco yesterday appeared on WEEI’s “The Big Show” with host Glenn Ordway, Pete Sheppard, WBZ’s Steve Burton and myself.

Guess what? As soon as a tough question was presented to Canseco, the big fella hitched up his diaper and had himself a good cry.

In other words, he hung up. Again.

Some background is in order. In his latest tome, “Vindicated,” Canseco cleverly hints that Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez may be a steroids user. Now Canseco doesn’t come right out and announce that A-Rod’s body is juiced up. Instead, as he repeated on the show yesterday, Canseco says he introduced A-Rod to “a known steroids dealer.”

And what is the name of that known steroids dealer? For the time being, Canseco won’t say.

His closing is spotless:

Canseco wants you to believe he is some kind of savior of baseball, that he is a well-intentioned whistle-blower who is trying to clean up the game he loves so very much.cw2

In his first book, “Juiced,” he suggested that a whole lot of baseball players were on the juice. Now that the Mitchell Report is out, Canseco feels . . . vindicated. Hence the title of the book. But while Canseco very much wants you to purchase his book, he apparently does not want you to read it.

Because if you do, you’ll have questions. And if you have questions, Canseco will crawl under a bed and pout.

It’s the same old Jose: Pretty good on offense, but rather pathetic when it comes to defense.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 06:38:28 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=3253943

Haha, but he was trying!  He's not on their current roster, so I guess he didn't make the team.

So... any reason why he didn't mke it?  I read the article and it looks like he was working out really well.  I guess they just didn't want to give a 38 year old man another break. :(